Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Bang, if you have a smart phone, you can just get the SiriusXM online only package and listen on a computer and/or your phone. Think it's like $10/month.

Thanks,, that and the little tool that puts my phone on my car radio just signed WTEM's death warrant in my life.

Nice job, guys.

WTF happened to the sports media in this city?

There was a day that the Post was one of the best sports pages in America.. and now everything about DC sports coverage is awful.

(With a few exceptions,, Cooley's postgame breakdowns. THAT is great sports radio, and i do like John Keim.)

~Bang

Edited by Bang

I listened too for about ten minutes. As soon as I turned the radio on, Chris Paul is asking Keim a loaded question about Gillette and his reaction when this team wins four games again. Not if, when.

Then Reid proceeds to go off about them drafting Murphy high when they felt desperate enough to bring Gillette in to fulfill the spot. Keim had to remind him that GMSM didn't draft Murphy. Just loud and wrong.

I blame dan snyder.

That's only half jokingly, he definitely played a part.

he totally played a part. Stop trying to control the message, and then making a 180 and hiring a-holes who just hate on your product.

Here is a novel idea. Look for some REALLY talented radio hosts and experts who speak clearly and provide good information and don't need shock value to drive up callers and fill in weak programming. Design a station to include all the local teams in easy ways they can overlap while making it not too hard for listeners who only care about a few sports to find their topic.

Move away from the opinion "writer" as a host unless they are especially good and modern.

Also, there are more than just White or Black males who know a lot about sports. There is a damn good journalist school in the area. Don't force it. but if you want to grow your audience. Then adding a female host or an Asian-American host....or a Latino host....those are good things. Especially if they are good at what they do. I don't care if the person talking about hockey is Asian-American if he knows his ****.

Oh, and lets take a break from former Redskins as hosts for a while. Not to say there aren't some excellent ones. But I think Walker has run his course and Mitchell is me. Cooley is good on breakdowns. But I feel like he could be better on other sports if he tried.

Reid complaint #23667

Lately Jason Reid has responded to the steady improvement of Griffin during training camp with the illogical notion that his ceiling is as a game manager. And therefore, since they gave up so much for him he has found this strawman argument from which to attack RG3. Every QB who's ever been labeled a game manager, has been due to them lacking the physical tools to be exceptional, basically Colt McCoy. How does that qualify for Griffin?

His issues with Griffin are 100% personal, and I'd really like to know why he hates him so much.

• Like 1

The Bram weinstein podcast is coming soon

I know his 1st benchmark goal is 5K listens. If we want to improve the sports talk discussion for DC sports. Places like ES with a lot of members who have their own online presence, need to help push this as he gets his bearings. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

Reid complaint #23667

Lately Jason Reid has responded to the steady improvement of Griffin during training camp with the illogical notion that his ceiling is as a game manager. And therefore, since they gave up so much for him he has found this strawman argument from which to attack RG3. Every QB who's ever been labeled a game manager, has been due to them lacking the physical tools to be exceptional, basically Colt McCoy. How does that qualify for Griffin?

His issues with Griffin are 100% personal, and I'd really like to know why he hates him so much.

I honestly think he doesn't know how to do his job any other way.

He's a hack..  and so he hacks...and hacks, and hacks.

If it's not negative, he probably feels like he's not doing his job 'exposing' things.

It's sloppy, shoddy, unprofessional, and as i said above.. ripe for TMZ style celebrity gossip.

No insight.

~Bang

• Like 2

stupidly put on 980 driving back to my office this afternoon and heard Kevin/Thom try to parse a RG3 quote to show how unhappy he is. Then Kevin got to make excuses for Kirk a bit. I imagined them sharing a milkshake with two straws.

If you are a player or coach of this team and hear what they saying. Why would you ever want to talk with them? I know its a team owned station. But still....not hard to say "Not telling them to be homers and fluff it up. But their attacks are high school lunchroom nonsense. No thanks. I'm going to pass talking to 980."

106.7 was teasing some big news this AM.

It's that Kirk Cousins will be on with them every week.

Hilarious. 

I couldn't believe m ears when I heard that announcement. When they were hyping it I was thinking that they were going to have a weekly interview segment with the owner or Scot. When I heard it was just Paulsen continuing his weird man-crush on Kirk all I could do was just shake my head.

Edited by spjunkies