Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I don't know how many times I've had to turn the Man Cave or The Junkies off because they said something clearly inaccurate about the team, and no one was knowledgeable enough at their ****ing job to correct it. 

With the latest regimes, I struggle with understanding what is accurate.  I don't know, so if I don't know, few do.

With the latest regimes, I struggle with understanding what is accurate.  I don't know, so if I don't know, few do.

I'm not talking about the rumors and unnamed sources, I'm talking basic **** like what position a player is, who we drafted, who looked good during minicamp and who may not make the roster, the performances of anyone on the team outside of Griffin and our secondary. It seems like DC radio only knows that our record was 4-12, Griffin sucked, Cousins sucked, McCoy wasn't much better, and the secondary sucks.... and they struggle to name any of the rest of the starters on the team. 

I'm not talking about the rumors and unnamed sources, I'm talking basic **** like what position a player is, who we drafted, who looked good during minicamp and who may not make the roster, the performances of anyone on the team outside of Griffin and our secondary. It seems like DC radio only knows that our record was 4-12, Griffin sucked, Cousins sucked, McCoy wasn't much better, and the secondary sucks.... and they struggle to name any of the rest of the starters on the team. 

Should have listened to Cooley grading the team on each front.

• Like 1

Yikes, that's not good news regarding the recent ratings report for 980.  I've always thought that 2 sports stations for this town was one too many.  Since 106.7 is winning in the sports radio wars here in DC, maybe 980 should switch to Nationally Syndicated radio for a part of the day, except for The Sports Fix & The Drive. Those two shows are the highest rated shows on 980, so I would leave them be, but if I were the PD for 980, I'd get rid of The Locker Room, Tony K's show & especially the Man Cave.  The shows pretty much add nothing to an already saturated programming lineup when regarding the Redskins.  I would put Mike & Mike back on from 6-10AM (because, let's face it, nothing they create will beat the Junkies on 106.7), and then I would have the Sports Fix from 10-1PM, then they could put on The Russillo Show from 1-4PM.  Cooley & Czabe would stay at its time slot of 4-7PM, and then call it a day.

I think that's the best they could do with what they have currently.  The Sports Fix & The Drive are the only shows that are credible enough on that station to discuss the Redskins, Wizards & Nats in an intelligent fashion.  The other shows they have besides those two don't do a good job talking about the other teams in the area at all not named the Redskins.

Edited by samy316

980 has gotten pretty weak.  I turn on the Man Cave and I have to listen to Andy Pollin do birthdays.  Pollin is the Chris Berman of 980, he just won't go away.  The only time Cooley and Czabe are any good is when Cooley does his player breakdowns.  Galdi is a nice guy but sooooooo boring.  I spend more time listening to other things than sports talk now.

Listening to Man Cave this morning.  They are now talking to a radio personality from Cleveland talking about Manziel and the Browns! Fifteen minutes of Browns! Nothing about the Nats signing Papelbon!!! 

This show is all about Jason Reid going through his rolodex and calling his old buddies. Sadly, this show has no focus or direction. And very little connection to the local sports fan. 

Listening to Man Cave this morning.  They are now talking to a radio personality from Cleveland talking about Manziel and the Browns! Fifteen minutes of Browns! Nothing about the Nats signing Papelbon!!! 

This show is all about Jason Reid going through his rolodex and calling his old buddies. Sadly, this show has no focus or direction. And very little connection to the local sports fan. 

You know, there is a way to let them know if you think the programming is junk. Might not mean a lot to them by just emailing. management@espn980.com was the address before they changed their site and seemingly removed the ability to email and now you enter a comment box for each show.

But if you email, you need to also tweet it and tag them. Otherwise, nobody knows that other people are always unhappy.

Was thinking how awesome it would be if 20-30 ESers could get together and pick a DC sports topic they wanted to discuss on sportstalk. Then during "The Fix" or whatever when they do another segment trying to breakdown some nonsense reading between the lines of what RG3 said. We'd all call in, say we have a comment on the RG3 topic, but on the air....start taking about baseball. Caller after caller....just ignoring their topic and going with a sport that's happening right now. 

If they comment to you on-air about the topic. You just say "Yeah, but baseball is what's happening right now......You guys should pick up on that."

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 4

It's funny you say that because for most of July, I heard the sports fix talking about regional college sports, baseball, and golf. I heard The Drive doing mostly baseball and golf, with hockey in the mix when news was breaking.

In fact, last Friday it was just Gladi and guest host Al Koken doing mostly hockey with the new deal for Holtby and even having him towards the end for a bit to discuss the new deal.

And their ratings slumped to a new all time low for July.

I don't list to all of the shows in their entirety, so maybe I just hit them at the wrong times, but that's what they were discussing. Cooley and Czabe particularly seemed hell bent on discussing anything but Redskins through July.

People **** about how all they discuss is redskins nonsense, but every single host has commented that when they go outside of that people stop listening to the radio. The ratings for July line up with that, according to what I've listened to this past July.

If people want more hockey, baseball and basketball talk then they should listen to the radio more. The ratings drive the discussion. The fact is they get better ratings when they discuss the redskins, even when it's nonsense that more intelligent sports fans would prefer to not listen to.

It's kind of like people who are sick of politics, but don't participate in politics, commenting on how politics only caters to the extremes and crazies. It's not hard to figure out why, and the people ****ing deserve some of the blame, the people in control are never going to cater to the people that don't participate.

• Like 1

yeah, I'm going to disagree. From what I've heard and been reading. They do the Redskins at 1 every day, and usually spend at least 1/3, usually 1/2 on the Skins in their 1st hour. If there is no specific news about the Nats/Bullets/Caps. They barely mention them over 2 hours. They are quicker to talk about a team outside of DC for football than a local team in another sport. 

Bottom line here is that they'll make more money talking exclusively about the Redskins than if they were to mix it up.  So playing to the lowest common denominator is the only path to maximum listener-ship.  There are very few times when that would change, perhaps during a Nats playoff run, the morning after a Wiz or Caps playoff victory, or the Friday morning after Tiger Woods shoots an opening round 65 at the Masters (or an 82). My only wish is that the quality improve, but you can't make chick salad out of chicken ****, which is what these guys have to work with.

Was thinking how awesome it would be if 20-30 ESers could get together and pick a DC sports topic they wanted to discuss on sportstalk. Then during "The Fix" or whatever when they do another segment trying to breakdown some nonsense reading between the lines of what RG3 said. We'd all call in, say we have a comment on the RG3 topic, but on the air....start taking about baseball. Caller after caller....just ignoring their topic and going with a sport that's happening right now. 

If they comment to you on-air about the topic. You just say "Yeah, but baseball is what's happening right now......You guys should pick up on that."

That's hilarious--but overall, the Nationals coverage on 980 is atrocious.

yeah, I'm going to disagree. From what I've heard and been reading. They do the Redskins at 1 every day, and usually spend at least 1/3, usually 1/2 on the Skins in their 1st hour. If there is no specific news about the Nats/Bullets/Caps. They barely mention them over 2 hours. They are quicker to talk about a team outside of DC for football than a local team in another sport. 

They have a segment of redskins at 1. Yes, they do it every day. That's the point of having a segment. It normally lasts about 15 minutes.

What they do with the rest of their time depends on what is going on.

For most of july it was about golf, baseball, and local college sports from what I listened to. That will change now that training camp is starting. I bet their ratings change too, go figure.

That's all fine and good, but most of the folks are hacks on there or just past their prime. I like Czabe and Cooley, Galdi just annoys me with some of hard stances he takes. Cooley sometimes annoys me too because he interrupts a lot, but that has gotten better as he's gotten more used to radio. Can't stand Laverro anymore either, used to like him, but now he's a whiny baby who overblows and overanalyzes everything.

The Man Cave... please, kill it with fire!

Edited by Zguy28

Ugh, Loverro is the worst.

Lets analyze this tweet and determine why this motivational quotation proves Robert Griffin is the worst and most selfish person in the NFL.

Again.

~Bang

Loverro admittedly & openly roots for chaos. He's the reason I stopped listening to that show. Sheehan is usually reasonable on most topics, but Loverro's nasally pitched ****ing is not worthy of my time

• Like 1