Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

So what's going to happen with the czaban show? 

On another note, I was listening to the junkies today. I thought it sounded silly  how they were complaining about "having to go to Florida for Nats spring training". 

Lurch, one of the more entertaining ones, complained how the trip took him away from his family. He was talking about a 36 hour, 2 show trip. 

I just hate how the guys don't appear to put 5 minutes of effort into the show. If you're not going to make an effort, you'd better be funny. Or clever. Or have good guests. Or be likeable. At least EB admitted that other shows get good guests because they work harder. 

• Like 2

Bang, you know you want to hear Loverro's voice 24/7 on 980.

So this is very surprising indeed. Andy seems like a nice enough guy, but always thought he was kind of stale except for his historic Skins knowledge.

I suppose they'll keep the TSR format with Czabe doing the show solo from 4-5 pm and then having the other guy (Loverro, Knoche, etc) come in from 5-7 pm. Which may work better. I do think that having more people on the set detracts from the show.  I'd rather hear a show with a strong individual personality, like I was used to hearing back in the day in Philly, and down here with Ken Beatrice. I suppose Chad Dukes has his own show on the Fan, but have never really been enamored with him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

WTF? They JUST brought him back over the summer. 

Kind of... he had a contract so they moved him around. At one point he had a morning show on 570. He did updates. Filled in for Kornheiser. Then everything moved around and he was on with czabe again.

Obviously contract ran up... so who's on with czabe? Or is he gone too?

I know people like to crap on Andy, and he absolutely can be irritating, but he was a valuable resource and had good chemistry with Czabe, IMO.

But it seems weird to bring back the Sports Reporters only to then dump him so soon. They shoulda just kept him as roving fill-in guy until the contract ran out.

I would dump the Galdi show and just put him on the Sports Reporters and keep the train rolling.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

I think Galdi is 10,000 times better than both Andy and Czabe. Carrying a show solo without repeating yourself ad nauseum (also known as "Cowherding"..) is difficult, and I think Galdi pulls it off just fine.

Andy did have his saving grace as the official redskins historian.. but other than that.. I find the "sports reporters" practically unlistenable, but again, mostly it's because of Czabin, who i find incredibly pretentious and wrong more often than not.

They clearly tried to do 'both sides' of each issue,, meaning they wanted to debate, but it mostly ran down to Czabin making idiotic proclamations using ridiculously affected tones and "word of the day" vocabulary that left no wiggle room (replay has to go because it'll never be 1000% perfect... good grief.).. and Andy falling back on the great old strategy of lively radio "well, we'll see", and sounding like some old lady being patient with some moronic whippersnapper trying to use big boy words.

I won't miss it. I'd much rather Galdi move out of the early early slot and right into it.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

Galdi and Sheehan are the gems on that station. Hopefully 980 figures out a way to use them as much as possible. 

Having said that, despite Andy being irritating at times, I did love how he remembered nearly everything about the Redskins. He's probably the only on-air personality who could remember seasons, games, scores, etc. the way I feel like I can. By the way, that's not me bragging...I think I have issues. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grego said:

So what's going to happen with the czaban show? 

On another note, I was listening to the junkies today. I thought it sounded silly  how they were complaining about "having to go to Florida for Nats spring training". 

Lurch, one of the more entertaining ones, complained how the trip took him away from his family. He was talking about a 36 hour, 2 show trip. 

I just hate how the guys don't appear to put 5 minutes of effort into the show. If you're not going to make an effort, you'd better be funny. Or clever. Or have good guests. Or be likeable. At least EB admitted that other shows get good guests because they work harder. 

Their treatment of the Nationals, especially on the "Flagship Station" is awful. However, I will forever love Jason Bishop for this clip:

I have no idea why this New York loving blowhard jackass is on DC radio every ****ing day.

• Like 5

Definitely both stations should discuss college basketball more. I think the Junks do a little, given that I think a few of them (at least EB) went to College Park.  On 980, I know Sheehan went to Maryland, and often you have Knoche, who is one of the Terp radio guys, appearing on TSR with Czabe.

• Like 1

Nobody knew the Redskins like Pollin. Nobody. 

You can try to say that he was rude to people or that he was a typical sports talking head with no respect and part of that may be true. But one thing can't be denied. He spent nearly 25 years with ESPN 980 and WTEM as an elite broadcaster with Czabe. He dutifully did the breakdown shows after the game, on Monday mornings, thankfully pre-empting Mike and Mike. He was a good friend of Mr. Tony Kornheiser, and he was one of the best on 980. 

I think Buckhantz, the Wizards TV man, said it best. His departure meant that the world we grew up in is changing for the worse. I grew up in a world where we had respectable radio personalities. I grew up in a world where Jim Rome, Andy Pollin, Steve Czaban, and Tony Kornheiser dominated 980 and were parts of the fabric of this city, before WJFK foolishly decided to go "sports talk" and turn away from that kind of "Shock jock comedy" so prevalent with Don and Mike / Howard Stern / Opie and Anthony (my gripe on the WJFK station format is better suited for another topic, another day). 

The fact is that Pollin, Kornheiser, and Czabe were on 980 for nearly 2 decades. Kornheiser recently left 980 because he saw the writing on the wall about this industry. Sports talk is dying. I have said this before, I will say it again. It is irrelevant what these heads say on talk radio anymore. Because everyone is listening to podcasts now where you don't have to generate egregious opinions or ignore sports on radio (When have you heard local radio discuss the Wizards, the Nationals, or for the matter anything in the realm of Sports that wasn't related to the Redskins? Hint...they don't.) 

Sports radio is a business. People get cut because of business. Tim Murray, another good 980 man, was also cut because of budget issues ostensibly. Was Pollin cut because of budget issues? Perhaps. Who knows. But one thing is sure. 

We shouldn't have to know about this legend leaving his station that he served for nearly 25 years, from a tweet that he makes at 8 pm at night. The station didn't have the dignity to let him sign off one last time. It was just, plop, you're gone, don't sign off, no final show. 

He rightfully received his fair share of accolades last night, especially from this young millenial who spent so much time in high school on his bed just lying down listening to him and Czabe every day. Again, this man, along with Jim Rome and Steve Czaban and Tony Kornheiser, helped fuel my love of sports talk radio, one that I carried with me into college and afterward. What a shame that the legends of the industry that I followed adamantly growing up are all going by the wayside; a sign of the changing times. And make no mistake about it. As Buckhantz has said before, this industry is going down hill. I'd be surprised if sports talk still existed in a few years. Because the podcasts are the rage, and they aren't driven by what a PD wants you to hear and there is most certainly no bias or agenda to "Talk Redskins so people will listen." 

Those are my two cents. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

The fact is that Pollin, Kornheiser, and Czabe were on 980 for nearly 2 decades. Kornheiser recently left 980 because he saw the writing on the wall about this industry. Sports talk is dying. I have said this before, I will say it again. It is irrelevant what these heads say on talk radio anymore. Because everyone is listening to podcasts now where you don't have to generate egregious opinions or ignore sports on radio (When have you heard local radio discuss the Wizards, the Nationals, or for the matter anything in the realm of Sports that wasn't related to the Redskins? Hint...they don't.) 

Yeah, but Pollin and Czaban were as guilty as anyone of ignoring the other local sports teams for the past two decades.

• Like 1