Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Pollin was only on for a bit. And in his role as Redskins historian, he's not bad.

Infinitely better to listen to Andy talk about the past before a game than listen to his thoughts after a game.

Galdi mostly just follows the same format as the Monday morning show,, same guests,, Larry Michael, Cooley, Doc, Andy.. talk about the upcoming game.

but he also delves a lot into college football, and had a couple guests to discuss that today.

A single voice in the studio can be knuckle busting bad,, listen to Colin Cowherd and it becomes apparent that he is only repeating himself again and again,, with slight variances in the words used, he can and often fills up entire segments making ONE statement.

That's why i can't take listening to him. He grinds down on my last friggin' nerve.

Yes, Mr. Needle, we HEARD that and understood it the first 15 times you said it. 

It's bad radio.

Galdi usually balances his guests well and it keeps a good flow, and when he does have time that he must carry the mic, he makes good points and COMPLETE points without over-repetition. 

He's one of the few on air around here who can pull off a solo show.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

One of my complaints about galdi is that he seems to really dislike taking calls. Seems to be quick on the gun in hanging up in callers on the drive and I don't think he even takes calls on his baseball show. I could be wrong, just the impression I get. Just listening to him talk for long periods of time can really bore me for some reason

One of my complaints about galdi is that he seems to really dislike taking calls. Seems to be quick on the gun in hanging up in callers on the drive and I don't think he even takes calls on his baseball show. I could be wrong, just the impression I get. Just listening to him talk for long periods of time can really bore me for some reason

Exactly why I like him. Taking calls is so lazy sometimes. Whoever is screening those callers lets through the worst. They start with "Real quick...." and then ramble. The Fix does it all the time because they're so unprepared for things outside the Skins.

Guess it was because I grew up listening to sports talk in the Philly area in the early 80s, but I got used to the caller-driven shows and just felt those shows flowed more smoothly.  Sure, you can get idiots who still think we should bench Cousins and start RG3 or some that just ramble, but many callers have good points of view and are no less valid than those of the hosts or even the guests within the sports that appear on the shows. Plus it would be entertaining to hear someone like Howard Eskin in Philly dispatch of morons.

I listened to Czaban/Pollin for a long time in PM drive time and while I like the aforementioned podcast they've been doing weekly this season, the flow of their radio show would drive me crazy. They'd cover a topic for 10 minutes and then it'd be time for commercials/sports update and then move onto something else. Horrible.

SGP, I'm not a hockey guy either, but don't mind listening to guests and callers talk about the Caps. Another problem with sports talk on this area is that there are too many hosts who only want to talk about the Skins. Which is fine during football season. But from February thru August, you gotta include a lot of other stuff.

• Like 1

RIP Ken Beatrice, the original DC sports-caller. Passed away from pneumonia complications yesterday. Don't remember listening to him much in the day, but he was always polite to his audience.

I vividly remember listening to Ken Beatrice as a kid. Anytime I was in the car with my dad, Beatrice was on. It's probably why I listen to so much sports talk now.

• Like 2

callers are idiots though. Less callers and more hosts

Caller dials in

"Yeah man I was wondering if we could re-sign Griffin in the off-season I still think he's got something to offer. I'll hang up and listen. "

There's a reason Tony kornheiser doesn't take callers.

Guess it was because I grew up listening to sports talk in the Philly area in the early 80s, but I got used to the caller-driven shows and just felt those shows flowed more smoothly. Sure, you can get idiots who still think we should bench Cousins and start RG3 or some that just ramble, but many callers have good points of view and are no less valid than those of the hosts or even the guests within the sports that appear on the shows. Plus it would be entertaining to hear someone like Howard Eskin in Philly dispatch of morons.

I listened to Czaban/Pollin for a long time in PM drive time and while I like the aforementioned podcast they've been doing weekly this season, the flow of their radio show would drive me crazy. They'd cover a topic for 10 minutes and then it'd be time for commercials/sports update and then move onto something else. Horrible.

98% of callers are total imbeciles. Taking calls has no purpose.

I'd rather hear experts call in 100X more than the fan. I don't need to hear what I think. I want to hear what the beat reporter thinks.

Now, if they want to read fan tweets or emails. That's cool. 

Again, "Thanks for talking my call.....real quick...." before a 90 min nonsense rant that is filled with inaccuracies.

• Like 3

Yeah the fans rarely have anything to add that I want to listen to.

I like the post-game calls from fans at the stadium, just because it's unique and it's a post game show.

When they take calls about things related to the fans that's fun too. Normally has to do with stadiums/arenas, or a program a team has for a fan, because there are no 'experts' for those types of things.

Otherwise the only time it's worth wild is when the hosts have something wrong and someone calls in to correct them. Which... them getting something wrong happens quite a bit, but the call-in corrections don't. There's been quite a few times I've wanted to call in and tlel them they have something wrong, but don't for various reasons.

Otherwise it's a waste.

If I wanted that I'd just come here (or other various team forums) and read what's posted (including what I post.)

(including this post)

RIP Ken Beatrice. Ken was a sports talk legend in DC. He always entertained me on the rides home from RFK Stadium after games, which we normally won in those days. I can still hear his thick New England accent over the stat-icky AM signal "You're Next On Sports Call".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/12/07/what-ken-beatrice-meant-to-one-long-time-d-c-sports-fan/?postshare=4381449511333274&tid=ss_tw

No kidding. the man was the definition of "encyclopedic". It amazed me how much knowledge he could pull up on an instant's notice on any, and i mean ANY sport, local high school level on up. Before the days of a computer on everyone's desk. 

And yes, never a cross word, never a harsh hot take.. always a gentleman even when having to be assertive.

Never been anyone like him, in my mind, and never will be.

~Bang

I'm in the Kornheiser/LeBatard school of thought that calls are almost always the worst part of a sports talk show. Granted, that probably works best when you have a unique, oddball personality and an interesting cast of characters on your show. Al Galdi talking into a mike for three hours probably wouldn't be scintillating stuff.

I listened to a little bit of Czabe, Cooley, and Portis yesterday. Cooley and Portis have really great chemistry.

The only issue I have with them is that too much is "What I would do" if they were on the team. I find that kind of analysis lame when it's the first ballot Hall of Famers with multiple Super Bowl rings doing it (Hi, Ray Lewis). It's a little off-putting coming from two guys who I'm pretty certain combined for two wild-card runs during their time together. I mean, they were good guys with big personalities and played under an exemplary coach. Part of me wants to ask "What did you say to your position coach when you were 3-7 in 2006?"

• Like 1

Ken's draft knowledge for football and hoops was Mel Kiperesque, long before Mel became a household name. How in the hell Ken worked his magic without the web is mind boggling.

I think it was a combination of incredible memory retention and the fact that no one had the ability to call him out on any of this stuff without going to the library. In 1980, when you got one or two college football games, Ken reciting from memory what he read about a guard from Washington State (or what his "scouts" told him) was going to sound incredibly informative. Today, you can pull up a master cut of every play from that guard and realize, "Hey....he falls down a lot."

I really appreciate the fact that he was not a sports hot taker and really got into the minutiae of sports, but I think his type of "sports expert" show would get wiped out by an internet horde within a month now. Joe Morgan WAS an expert on baseball and was treated like a Pope for decades until online fans pointed out how often he just sad platitudes about players he obviously never watched before the game he was calling.

I vividly remember listening to Ken Beatrice as a kid. Anytime I was in the car with my dad, Beatrice was on. It's probably why I listen to so much sports talk now.

Exactly this. The only radio shows from my childhood that I remember are him, Stern, Don and Mike and G. Gordon Liddy (can't believe he's still alive).

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83
  • Like 2