Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Redskins Free Agency Journal

They did a lot more with free agency than I thought possible, and I am happy with the results of mostly young players with an upside and no one that creates a future cap problem. Good job Scott.

The free agent talent at RT and Guard was limited and we didn't get into a bidding war for what was available, again a good job. D was available and they took D.

It does, perhaps, give us an indication of what is going to happen in the draft, the best available O player that can help put together a roster in the future that can get us back to the super bowl.

At QB I hope the new QB coach can correct the problems with RG3 (pick up 2nd receivers, pass quicker, and get down before being hit to minimize injuries) or Cousins (don't get flustered when it doesn't work properly). However, if they feel they need to draft a QB, I have no problem with that.

The pocket passer thing is a way overblown, you don't want a runner at QB but a Wilson type that gets more time and gets down before getting hit is great. The Vick and Young mold of using the QB position to get critical yards obviously does not work, and it hasn't worked for RG3. Hopefully they can maximize his talent and turn him into Wilson.

Folks, there are a lot of great comments and this is a nicely done football discussion in this thread, keep it up.

I'm hoping we sign this S, Jeron Johnson, today. It sounds like he's a real talent who just had bad luck being drafted by a team who already has the two best safeties in the league. Being that he hasn't proven anything yet, I imagine he could be picked up for a short contract at 3M/yr- sort of a show me type deal. I also wouldn't mind taking a winger on Taylor Mays if he would come cheap. When it comes to the draft, the more I hear/think about it, the more I'm okay with the idea of Mariota. The #5 pick is not exactly ideal for us as there's no top 10 OL, S, or CBs. On paper Mariota appears to be the second coming of RG, but I keep hearing that he has something that RG was lacking- physically and mentally. I also like the idea of having a QB that Chip Kelly is drooling over. Making the pick out of spite would be wrong, but we all need to realize our QB of the future may not be on the roster right now and this may be our best chance to obtain it without mortgaging the future... again. At #5, we have options- Mariota/Fowler/Gregory/Beasley/White/tradeback, all of which would be a step in the right direction for this team. The only player I don't want to consider is Amari Cooper- he has a serious case of the dropsies. PS- I apologize for not posting this thru Xtremeskins for paragraph purposes.

I'm glad our team is going into the right direction during free agency. Another well done signing to fill a hole for the defense. IMO this really changes a lot going into the draft. At this point I think we should trade back to get more picks and let Mr. McCloughan work his magic. I'm almost speechless because this is how your suppose to build a team and we haven't seen that in a while. I don't want to get to excited because I want to see how McCloughan does in the draft and regular season but I feel we are in good hands... so far.

Signing Jeron is a symbol of the credibility Scot M brings. This type of guy would have definitely signed somewhere else. But he signed here for a pretty small contract because he believes in Scot. We used to get FAs but had to over pay. Most of them were just chasing a check (see fat albert). Not all (see London Fletcher) but most were. bombs out we can release him in 2 yrs with little impact to the cap.

Now we are getting solid guys for the right money. Culliver is the only one we may have overpaid a little. However, even his contract is set up so that if

Can't wait for the draft!

I just hope people realize this is a long term plan, not a quick fix. Could we see more effort? I should hope so. Will we se some improvement, especially as the year goes on? Definitely. But this is not a 1 yr rags to riches effort. We need at least 2 or 3 drafts to get the type of impact players that win championships.

So, after subtracting the roughly $4M for our seven soon-to-be drafted players, we are about $7M under the cap. There's still quite a bit of OL talent out there who I wouldn't mind using some of those dineros on. Also, although this may be a less-than-classy move, I wouldn't mind bringing Greg Hardy in. He can't command as much money now, and would allow Trent to continue to develop. Either way, McCloughan has already earned my trust.

With all these guys being signed to short term contracts I wonder if they're being viewed as stop gap solutions by upper management. I wonder if they're here just to fill the holes until the guys we draft come of age. Don't misunderstand me, I think these signings are pretty good, but if the guys being signed are as good as people say then why not sign them for longer than a year or two? They're all still fairly young. Is it all about keeping costs low?

Now that we've addressed the D-line & secondary in FA I wonder if we use our #5 pick on 1 of these top pass rushers to replace Orakpo. Or do we roll with Murphy as Orakpo's replacement & use the top pick as trade bait to gain more picks? To be honest I hope we don't. It's been FOREVER since we've had a high 1st round pick & I'd love for us to use it. I'd also love for us to draft for the O-line & ACTUALLY have them start on day 1. No more projects please. 

Overall It's been a pretty quiet FA period so far. I'm not accustom to that. As long as the guys we've signed pan out them I'm OK with the quiet. If not then I'll be happy we at least didn't break the bank on any of them.

HTTR!!!

So, after subtracting the roughly $4M for our seven soon-to-be drafted players, we are about $7M under the cap. There's still quite a bit of OL talent out there who I wouldn't mind using some of those dineros on. Also, although this may be a less-than-classy move, I wouldn't mind bringing Greg Hardy in. He can't command as much money now, and would allow Trent to continue to develop. Either way, McCloughan has already earned my trust.

They will  likely hold this cap space for after guys released after the draft in case someone they want is let go. If not, they will either use it to sign contract extensions for TW and RK or carry the cap over to next year, maybe a little of both.

Colt McCoy resigned with us.... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479500/article/washington-redskins-resign-qb-colt-McCoy

I don't think this signing means they will keep Colt over Kirk. If Kirk out plays him and no one offers enough in a trade, I could see us cutting Colt. I doubt much if any of his contract is guaranteed.

Overall, I would not be surprised by, well anything at this point. But my guess is we will still draft a PS QB in the later half of the draft, say 4th or 5th rd, especially if we pick up some extra draft picks through trading down. And then either Colt or Cousins will be gone. I really hope we don't carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

Any thoughts on this folks?

The Redskins have 3 QBs - 

* RG3 the most physically talented but also the most flawed QB skills.

* Colt the least physically gifted but the most QB skill knowledgeable.

* Cousins somewhere in between.

The hope is the new QB coach can make something out of 1 of the 3, if not next year we can focus on a new QB.

The objective this year has to be to get a good start on filling the many holes (Safety, CB, LB, pass rusher, O-Line, WR because of age and salary, and depth everywhere). That will be quite a challenge in itself and it is not a good year to devote a lot of emphasis on QB, I am glad the same 3 are back.

Agreed TheyAreBack.

If you think ahead to the draft with 7 picks (barring a trade down); what do the positions look like they'll take?

There are no big WRs of the type Scot likes on the roster. They will take a RB. and OL. Probably 2 WR, 2 OL & a RB. That's five of seven on Offense so maybe even those numbers are high. If they grab a QB anywhere then something else has to go. He'll still want something on Defense for the draft.

Maybe they wait for  undrafted free agents to get one WR and/or one OL. I think he'll squeeze in a QB somewhere but do they need a starter until they get the OLine fixed? What QB can you put in that will help till then - pretty much nobody. Reeds health makes TE questionable. 

Not gonna be a one year fix, guys. One or three steps at at time. 

Above all they need to make a difference with the number 5 pick. While we still may get a top 5 pick next year you hate to waste one of those picks. Therefore, if they cannot trade down and get extra picks that help them make a difference, than I have no problem with drafting Mariota if he is the only difference maker left.

I read, but don't know for sure, that this year's draft had a lot of good players but there was a shortage of top tier picks (single player difference makers). 

TheyAreBack- Dead on man. Although, I'd have no problem with us drafting Mariota, I think our ideal situation would be if both QBs are taken before us and the Raiders take a WR. Surely, the other pick before us would be Leonard Williams, and then we would be sitting there with our OLB pick of the litter (hopefully we'd pick Fowler). This isn't the ideal draft for us, as there are no studs at our need positions, but if we land Fowler or Mariota (or Williams if he's somehow still on the board) at #5, I'm content. If they are off the board then trading down would probably be in our best interest. Either way, it's nice that we can look forward to that Thursday night round 1.

TheyAreBack- Dead on man. Although, I'd have no problem with us drafting Mariota, I think our ideal situation would be if both QBs are taken before us and the Raiders take a WR. Surely, the other pick before us would be Leonard Williams, and then we would be sitting there with our OLB pick of the litter (hopefully we'd pick Fowler). This isn't the ideal draft for us, as there are no studs at our need positions, but if we land Fowler or Mariota (or Williams if he's somehow still on the board) at #5, I'm content. If they are off the board then trading down would probably be in our best interest. Either way, it's nice that we can look forward to that Thursday night round 1.

I have no problem with your scenario, but would actually like to see Mariota fall to us at 5. There will be a plethora of trade partners. We will certainly get value for that pick, probably over value. I really like trading with Cleveland at 12. We move down and likely at least pcik up and additional #1 and probably a #2 plus a few later picks, but at 12 we can still get a quality player, like one of the Guards in the draft. It's very possible that Scherff is still there, He is my top pick in this draft for us.

Earlier, I was thinking that #5 was too high to pick him. But he is the least risk player in the draft. You will plug him in the LG/RG position and forget about it for 10 yrs, kind of like Zack Martin last year. To me that's worth a #5 if we do not trade down.

But if Mariota is gone, the good news is one of the premier pass rushers will also be available. I would be glad with most any of them to be honest. I agree Williams looks the best now, but so did Clowney last year. Damn draft is such a lottery.

The one specific thing we all agree on, no matter who you pick or if we trade down, get proper value!!!  

Vic Beasley should be considered at 5 if we stay there, I've watched a lot of film on him and his combine results are far and away better than all the other pass rushers including L. williams but I know the combine is'nt everything so I would ask all you die hard skin fans watch the film of Beasley and see how much more explosive and powerful he is compared to Fowler and Gregory. My opinion of L. Williams is that we just dont need a DE as much as we need a true OLB. Williams at 305pds is too big for our 3-4 defense and to draft him to play the line after our 3 D line free agent signings makes no sense to me personally. I would ask respectfully to my REDSKIN nation to check Beasley's combine and watch film on him.

Archived