Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rock/Indie Music Recommendations Thread

Morrison J

I'm going to go more obscure and post some of my favorite bands right now that people should check out.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Heavy metal dance music

Eluveitie - Probably my favorite folk metal band right now.

Thank You Scientist - Jazzy progressive rock

Blind Guardian - Epic power metal

I'm going to go more obscure and post some of my favorite bands right now that people should check out.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Heavy metal dance music

Eluveitie - Probably my favorite folk metal band right now.

Thank You Scientist - Jazzy progressive rock

Blind Guardian - Epic power metal

You, my friend, may have just opened up a can of worms. On the folk metal front, I liked some of Falconer's (at least albums 1,2,5,6; they brought in a different vocalist for 3 and 4 while also abandoning their roots, but then returned to form when they brought back Mathias Blad)

Whenever I think Jazzy and metal, I always come back to a song by Galneryus that I think has a bebop feel to it. It's a bit of a departure from their other work, but I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-dhWFRYyRk

Epic Power Metal? I may know a thing or two about that sub-genre. How about Kamelot's Ghost Opera?

OK.. it's cold outside, it's Friday, and you're at work.

Here's a Ramones concert for you.

I saw the ramones probably a dozen times. They were flat out awesome when they were on, and there were nights that plain stunk. But the good nights.. wow.

They literally changed my life in terms of music.

I got grandfathered in when Maryland changed the drinking age.. so i could hit all these bars and clubs when i was 18.. most of my friends could not.

My friends were the type that would listen to Rush 2112 every single ****ing day, and i can recall when i brought them the Ramones first album one day, they roundly laughed.

So i found a whole new life... one other friend had been grandfathered in as well, and so he and i started going downtown every other night to see whoever we could find.

we went and saw Johnny Winter at the wax Museum, a great club back in the day.. Johnny was great, and i can barely remember it because tyhe next night the Ramones were playing and we decided on the way out the door to come back and see them.

First time i was in a punk show. Suddenly the weird looking people were the normal people and i looked way out of place in my usual jeans and t-shirt. The first band was customarily booed off the stage, something that happened at EVERY Ramones show i ever attended. They sucked anyway, which was also seemingly customary to open for the Ramones.

When the Ramones hit the stage it was like a helicopter landed on your head. Holy **** it was loud and fast and had more energy than anything i'd ever seen. From Johnny and DeeDee whipping around all over, the big tall geek Joey doing rockstar poses, to the manic dance floor, to the pinhead guy moshing onstage.. every song was a million miles per hour, and there was NO break between them. Takie it Deedee! > ONETWOTHAYFA ZOOOOOM! holy crap it was amazing. i was all over it, diving in the crowd, running like a madman... my god it was fun. I felt like i had just burst out of my skin.

back in the day there was this black guy who showed up at every Ramones show with a Deedee for president t-shirt .. and he never stopped trying to get onstage,, they'd throw him off 50 times a night, and he would never stop. The t-shirt got destroyed every time.

If you're on here, i salute you. You landed on me a bunch of times, sometimes i caught yuou, other times i saw you hit the floor .. but you never stopped. Ever.

This concert is legendary, and is an album, "It's Alive." If you never knew why the Ramones are Gods of rock and roll.. turn it up.

~Bang

You, my friend, may have just opened up a can of worms. On the folk metal front, I liked some of Falconer's (at least albums 1,2,5,6; they brought in a different vocalist for 3 and 4 while also abandoning their roots, but then returned to form when they brought back Mathias Blad)

They didn't abandon their roots so much as that Blad couldn't tour because of their other commitments, so they brought in someone else.  Thing is, Blad's voice is so distinctive that he's very difficult to replace.  I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first (and last) time at ProgPower USA this year.

Epic Power Metal? I may know a thing or two about that sub-genre. How about Kamelot's Ghost Opera?

To be honest, I never could get into Kamelot, despite seeing them live a few times.  I prefer Roy Khan's previous band, Conception

I guess while talking about Kamelot, I'll also bring up their current lead singer's main band, Seventh Wonder.

Edit: Just listened to the Galneryus track you posted. Definitely hear a lot of Deep Purple in there, especially with the keyboards.

Course, they seem to also do symphonic power metal quite well as well.

They didn't abandon their roots so much as that Blad couldn't tour because of their other commitments, so they brought in someone else.  Thing is, Blad's voice is so distinctive that he's very difficult to replace.  I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first (and last) time at ProgPower USA this year.

I normally would pin the difference to the singer being different, but I feel that their music was wholly regardless of who was singing (but not having Blad certainly didn't help).

To be honest, I never could get into Kamelot, despite seeing them live a few times.  I prefer Roy Khan's previous band, Conception

I'd looked into Conception (because Khan is a beast), but they never quite struck a chord with me.

I guess while talking about Kamelot, I'll also bring up their current lead singer's main band, Seventh Wonder.

Tommy Karevik is amazing. I thought Roy Khan was irreplaceable, but then the very first song I heard with Karevik, he came in and emulated Khan so perfectly that I may not have realized it was a different singer if I hadn't already known going in, but he also has his own unique style very different from Khan most of the time that just sounds fantastic. I'd already been vaguely familiar with him, but it wasn't until he joined Kamelot that I looked into Seventh Wonder, and they really are something else.

Edit: Just listened to the Galneryus track you posted. Definitely hear a lot of Deep Purple in there, especially with the keyboards.

Course, they seem to also do symphonic power metal quite well as well.

Galneryus is a pretty unique band amongst the bands I follow in that their style has changed so much over the years, but it's always been top quality, plus the sheer volume (as in amount, not loudness) of the music they release is pretty impressive as they manage to get a new album out almost every year. Look at the music from their first three albums and compare it to the music from their more recent albums and you'll see just how much they've changed, and it's not just because they changed singers. The 4th album, I think, is when I first noticed a style shift (also the first album they started working Japanese into their songs), and then after that when they replaced Yama-B, I noticed another shift that was more towards their current style.

And in regards to the song you posted, which I love (by the way, it heavily borrows from Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Major), did you know that the music video version that you posted is only half the length of the full studio version?

I stumbled upon this recently. Is this terrible? Is it awesome? Is it neither, or both? It's something. Neil Young with Devo, from some likely horrible movie called Human Highway that Neil Young directed under the pseudonym Bernard Shakey in 1982.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwftfw_devo-hey-hey-my-my-into-the-black_music

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-neil-young-jams-with-devo-on-hey-hey-my-my-20130102

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084099/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived