Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "DC" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The only things I have really read is in comparison to Marvel movies. Nothing really about the plot. The negative is it doesn't stand up against the fun Marvel movies. No review is letting it be a stand alone property.

It's hard to not compare it because the mere existence of the DC universe is a reaction to Marvel. And then a lot of their decisions seem like reactions to Marvel.

They're playing catch up and having a tough time getting their legs under them. In an alternate universe, I'd be curious to see how the DCEU would be perceived if the MCU didn't exist.

But anyway, I agree, trying to get a read on what the plot to Suicide Squad is is like trying to get Trump's tax return.

Edited by justice98

I mean, when you can kill it with standalone AntMan, and your competitors Dream Team lineup can't even be done right, its no competition

I was sort of thinking that Suicide Squad could be something, but the problem is that Marvels actors have been at it for nearly a decade now.

DC just threw all this crap together and expect it to stick, and challenge Marvel, coming off the heels of TDK. Its just not going to work

• Like 1

I know absolutely nothing about Suicide Squad or any of this stuff but as someone who actually goes to movies, it seemed like something I would potentially go see (saw Deadpool for example). It sounds like a complete mess though.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/suicide-squad-movie-review-w432204

'Suicide Squad' Review: DC Bad Guys' Movie is Anything but Super

The anticipated savior of a bummer summer turns out to be a grabbag of what's been off and awful about recent comic-book epics (Captain America: Civil War excepted). Suicide Squad wussies out when it should have been down with the Dirty Dozen of DC Comics. Audiences complained that Batman v Superman was too dark and depressing. So director-writer David Ayer (End of Watch, Fury) counters with light and candy-assed. I call bull****.

You've never seen a more lovable team of death-row supervillains, hilariously dubbed "the worst of the worst." Viola Davis is actually scarier than any of these maniacs as Amanda Waller, the ethics-starved fed who corrals these killer "meta-humans" from Louisiana's Belle Reve prison to work for the good guys just in case of another alien invasion. Will Smith gets laughs as Deadshot — but should he? He's playing a heartless assassin. It turns out Smith's bad guy cares less about getting released from prison than getting his daughter into an Ivy League college. "I need you to 'white people' that thing," he says, Fresh Prince-ing his captors. And there's the usually irresistible Margot Robbie as the bat-wielding Harley Quinn, a shrink who turns deranged and deadly under the spell of the Joker (Jared Leto), the psycho she'd die for. "But would you live for me?" he asks. Leto's cackle really is chilling, but Ayer reduces his role to a glorified walk-on. And, hey, these crazy kids really do love each other. All together now: Awww.

The rest of the squad are introduced with all the resonance of a roll call: Jai Courney gets in a few early licks as the Aussie thief Boomerang, and then rarely comes back. As the tattooed Diablo, Jay Hernandez has the power to spew flames, but he's held back by — get this! — his conscience. Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje rises from the sewers as Killer Croc, a cannibal with a full-body skin condition that does the acting for him. And poor Adam Beach barely registers at all as the rope guru Slipknot.

Surprisingly, the actors on the "good" side fare marginally better, such as Joel Kinnaman as Col. Rick Flag, the conflicted Navy SEAL in charge of keeping the squad in line. Cara Delevingne starts promisingly as Flag's archaeologist love Dr. June Moone, but as soon as her spirit is corrupted she becomes the evil Enchantress and the film's reigning scourge. Say what? Is this Ghostbusters? Don't even try to navigate the logic at play here.

Though look closely at Karen Fukuhara as Katana, Flag's ninja second-in-command — her sword absorbs the soul of her victims. Who stole the soul of Suicide Squad? I'd say it's Ayer's willingness to go all limp-dick and compromise his hardcore action bona fides for a PG-13 crowdpleaser that would rather ingratiate than cut deep, or even cut at all. My heart sank during the film's big battle between the Squad and zombie soldiers. You heard me: zombies! The walking dead aren't the only clichés that eat away at the potential in this material. Superfreaks become supersweeties and Suicide Squad: Dawn of Dullness (my subtitle) does the impossible. Forget Batman v Superman — at least it tried. This botch job makes Fantastic Four look good.

BTman recruiting the justice lesgue doesn't bother me in this universe because this is a universe in which he just saw Superman give his life for Earth. He admits in BvS that he failed superman in life but that he wouldn't fail him in death.

So why wouldn't a focused and a now less cynical more inspired Batman be the one to do it? It fits the character they've established in this universe whether it does the comics or not

• Like 1

The only things I have really read is in comparison to Marvel movies. Nothing really about the plot. The negative is it doesn't stand up against the fun Marvel movies. No review is letting it be a stand alone property.

Plenty of reviews have not compared it to Marvel. Most of them point out that the villain is uninteresting, the main battle is a bunch of dark, bad-looking CGI. Some of the Squad members are good, others are lousy or barely air time, the plot is bad, the story is bad. Leto is either forgettable as Joker or just didn't have enough air time. None of that is being compared to Marvel nor do pre-existing Marvel movies change that.

Batman Dark Knight came out just after Iron Man. I didn't see anyone comparing the two in order to slam DC. Dark Knight Rises came out in 2012. Didn't see the masses of reviewers comparing that to Marvel either. Good is good, crap is crap. BvS was crap, this looks to be more of the same which honestly is not surprising seeing as it was overseen by the same people who managed to screw up and make Batman and Superman on the screen together suck. But even so, Marvel is the standard for a reason, so there will be comparisons. If DC movies didn't suck then it wouldn't be an issue constantly raised by people pointlessly trying to defend crap.

It's unfortunate because I was looking forward to Suicide Squad but not now. If the reviews were mixed that would be one thing, but they are mostly bad. Have you seen Batman: Assault on Arkham? Holy crap that was a good movie from DC Animated about the Suicide Squad. They could have copied it line for line, scene for scene into live action and it would have killed on Rotten Tomatoes. Instead we get yet another let down. Drives me nuts. Batman is my favorite super hero, Joker my favorite villain. Flash on TV is the best super hero tv show right now and made me a fan of the super hero. Marvel has already laid the groundwork for making a good super hero movie. But we just get crap from DC. 

So I continue to say: Fire Zack Snyder et al. Let the Animated team take the reign of the live action stuff. DC owns Marvel when it comes to animated stuff and it's not even close. 

Suicide Squad getting panned.

My concern is that Will Smith would take over this movie when his character (as I understand it) is very minor in the whole scheme of the Suicide Squad. That the Joker will be overshadowed and Harley Quinn will be some joke.

It still kinda seems like a waste to have Will Smith in this. I woulda thought they'd want to make him a more prominent part of the DCEU if they were able to get him. Maybe he shows up in a Batman movie somewhere down the line.

I figured he'd make a good Cyborg. Deadshot or whoever he's playing seems like an insult.

But Cyborg is supposed to be a kid. If he wanted to be a big time villain, he should've tried hard for Deathstroke. But I don't really think Smith has the acting chops to pull that off, and he likely wouldn't want to wear the mask all the time either.

There wasnt a DCEU then.

And? There doesn't need to be an EU for people to naturally compare 1 major super hero movie to another. Face it, Dark Knight was great and still is the pinnacle of super hero movies. Iron Man was great and paved the way for Marvel. Neither movie was compared to other to justify a slight. Why? Because both movies are good.

Comparing something to its equivalents when rating it is a natural thing. Like i phone vs. android, pepsi vs. coke, Marvel vs. DC. Making a comparison doesn't mean someone is slamming a movie just because it's not Marvel. That is a stupid assertion made by fan boys refusing to recognize a crap product.

Good products stand up to comparisons. Bad products don't. Nolan's trilogy already proved you don't have to be lighthearted to Marvel's level to win accolades.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/suicide-squad-fans-petition-rotten-tomatoes-bad-reviews-shut-down-1201829631/

‘Suicide Squad’ Fans Petition To Shut Down Rotten Tomatoes Over Negative Reviews

Suicide Squad” fans launched a Change.org petition with the intent of shutting down film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes after the tentpole received a slew of negative reviews from critics.

Abdullah Coldwater, the DC Comics fan who drafted the petition, accused the site of giving “unjust bad reviews” that “affects people’s opinion even if it’s a really great .”

*Click Link for More* 

But Cyborg is supposed to be a kid. If he wanted to be a big time villain, he should've tried hard for Deathstroke. But I don't really think Smith has the acting chops to pull that off, and he likely wouldn't want to wear the mask all the time either.

Hmm, never knew that. All I know of Cyborg is from the JL animated stuff. Never forayed into much of his personal backstory. Always seemed to me like he was a grown man.

They could have easily made an accommodation. It's Hollywood, making him older would be a minor change from the source material if that's what they wanted to do. Especially for the masses, who would have no idea who Cyborg is.

And? There doesn't need to be an EU for people to naturally compare 1 major super hero movie to another. Face it, Dark Knight was great and still is the pinnacle of super hero movies. Iron Man was great and paved the way for Marvel. Neither movie was compared to other to justify a slight. Why? Because both movies are good.

Comparing something to its equivalents when rating it is a natural thing. Like i phone vs. android, pepsi vs. coke, Marvel vs. DC. Making a comparison doesn't mean someone is slamming a movie just because it's not Marvel. That is a stupid assertion made by fan boys refusing to recognize a crap product.

Good products stand up to comparisons. Bad products don't. Nolan's trilogy already proved you don't have to be lighthearted to Marvel's level to win accolades.

You're missing the point, the "and?" is the cinematic universes are what are inviting the comparisons. If Dark Knight had been part of a cinematic universe, it would have been a totally different discussion. Not like Iron Man and Dark Knight were the first two comic superhero movies. None of the ones before that, good or bad, were particularly compared to each other. Atleast not like they're doing now. There were X-Men movies, Spiderman movies, Blade, Superman, Green Lantern. They all kind of lived in their own world and stood on their own.

You can't cherry pick those two movies and argue they werent compared, when none of these movies were compared until DC tried to jump on the bandwagon and do what Marvel was exclusively doing. It's not an insignificant detail.

Hmm, never knew that. All I know of Cyborg is from the JL animated stuff. Never forayed into much of his personal backstory. Always seemed to me like he was a grown man.

Oh yeah, he is an adult. I meant kid as early twenties. So still much younger than Will Smith currently is.

You're missing the point, the "and?" is the cinematic universes are what are inviting the comparisons. If Dark Knight had been part of a cinematic universe, it would have been a totally different discussion. Not like Iron Man and Dark Knight were the first two comic superhero movies. None of the ones before that, good or bad, were particularly compared to each other. Atleast not like they're doing now. There were X-Men movies, Spiderman movies, Blade, Superman, Green Lantern. They all kind of lived in their own world and stood on their own.

You can't cherry pick those two movies and argue they werent compared, when none of these movies were compared until DC tried to jump on the bandwagon and do what Marvel was exclusively doing. It's not an insignificant detail.

The first post of mine to which you replied, I think you missed the point. I was shooting down pick6's posts trying to push the Marvel anti-DC movie nonsense some fans have been parroting. There's none of that going on. BvS and now Suicide Squad have fundamental flaws in story, plot, and characters. Dark Knight didn't need to be comedic to be good, and it's still the best of the genre. The Marvel stuff is just a cheap out for DC fans who don't want to admit a movie was bad. 

If there was some anti-DC bias going on and a pro-Marvel agenda (which is ridiculous because Batman and Superman are the two most popular and everyone wants those to be good), then past DC movies would have been trashed and compared to the good Marvel ones. That didn't happen. Marvel establishing an EU didn't magically make people hate Batman and Superman and DC.

No, what happened was Marvel showed an EU could be done well. DC had freaking Batman and Superman, had a blueprint on how to do it thanks to Marvel, and they botched it bad. Dark tone works. In fact, when Batman is involved it is expected. BvS and now Suicide Squad suck because they screwed up basic components of a movie and nothing more. The idea that a lack of light heartedness compared to Marvel is the sole reason for bad reviews is laughably bad, just like these movies. 

• Like 1

Just got back from Suicide Squad. I enjoyed it. It was good not great. It's really just flash, there isn't really any substance like the deeper themes and thought provoking ideas of the two Superman movies or the Nolan trilogy.

It's just hard for me to get around the idea that these horrible bad guys are supposed to do anything redeeming. For one, they end up fighting enchantress and her brother, witches with amazing powers, some that rival Superman. So Boomerang, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Katana all have no business being part of this fight. Probably killer croc too. They're not meta humans as if often referenced. It just sort of took me out of the movie. That's always been the big problem with shared universes to me. It renders too many characters meaningless.

Which isn't to say those characters didn't have great moments. The movie is basically a vehicle for Will Smith and Margot Robbie. Harley Quinn steals it basically. She does a good Quinn, doesn't quite have the voice down and her accent comes and goes but she does sexy crazy Harley well.

It's just that all the villains have been toned down so much they don't seem bad at all. Will Smith's deadshot is obviously a huge focus of the movie and you never really feel like he's a "bad guy." He's redeemable, we root for him. All he seems to care about is his daughter and he just happens to shoot people for money.

That aside, the movie is pretty solid. The first 40 minutes or so setup each character and a brief story about them, with each scene having a new song accompanying it. Seriously, I think every scene for the first hour has a licensed song playing behind it. I actually liked this so I'm not complaining, the soundtrack is great.

The story is fine, it's basic but fine, again hence the flash. Definitely Enjoyable though.

Cameos by Flash, Batman and Joker is in serval scenes. Flash was a nice 2 second surprise. Batman doesn't do much just shows some backstory to Quinn/Joker. Leto's joker is interesting. I liked his take on the role I just need to see more to fully embrace the character. He's definitely a more comic book joker than we've seen so far and he's shown as a powerful crime boss basically with him and Harley being described as the King and Queen of Gotham. So I liked the character I just want to see him fleshed out more.

The movie is funnier than most DC movies, well at least it tries to be, some jokes work, others not so much. It does feel a bit lighthearted and i guess again that is by design. Deadshot is full of zings and funny lines. I don't know thT it's in line with dead shots character but I guess you don't want to cast will smith and not have him be his normal funny and charming self.

In conclusion, a fun movie. Entertaining and flashy but not much substance or anything special. I liked most of the characters too. Just the whole premise is hard for me to get my head around.

Just got back from Suicide Squad. I enjoyed it. It was good not great. It's really just flash, there isn't really any substance like the deeper themes and thought provoking ideas of the two Superman movies or the Nolan trilogy.

It's just hard for me to get around the idea that these horrible bad guys are supposed to do anything redeeming. For one, they end up fighting enchantress and her brother, witches with amazing powers, some that rival Superman. So Boomerang, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Katana all have no business being part of this fight. Probably killer croc too. They're not meta humans as if often referenced. It just sort of took me out of the movie. That's always been the big problem with shared universes to me. It renders too many characters meaningless.

Which isn't to say those characters didn't have great moments. The movie is basically a vehicle for Will Smith and Margot Robbie. Harley Quinn steals it basically. She does a good Quinn, doesn't quite have the voice down and her accent comes and goes but she does sexy crazy Harley well.

It's just that all the villains have been toned down so much they don't seem bad at all. Will Smith's deadshot is obviously a huge focus of the movie and you never really feel like he's a "bad guy." He's redeemable, we root for him. All he seems to care about is his daughter and he just happens to shoot people for money.

That aside, the movie is pretty solid. The first 40 minutes or so setup each character and a brief story about them, with each scene having a new song accompanying it. Seriously, I think every scene for the first hour has a licensed song playing behind it. I actually liked this so I'm not complaining, the soundtrack is great.

The story is fine, it's basic but fine, again hence the flash. Definitely Enjoyable though.

Cameos by Flash, Batman and Joker is in serval scenes. Flash was a nice 2 second surprise. Batman doesn't do much just shows some backstory to Quinn/Joker. Leto's joker is interesting. I liked his take on the role I just need to see more to fully embrace the character. He's definitely a more comic book joker than we've seen so far and he's shown as a powerful crime boss basically with him and Harley being described as the King and Queen of Gotham. So I liked the character I just want to see him fleshed out more.

The movie is funnier than most DC movies, well at least it tries to be, some jokes work, others not so much. It does feel a bit lighthearted and i guess again that is by design. Deadshot is full of zings and funny lines. I don't know thT it's in line with dead shots character but I guess you don't want to cast will smith and not have him be his normal funny and charming self.

In conclusion, a fun movie. Entertaining and flashy but not much substance or anything special. I liked most of the characters too. Just the whole premise is hard for me to get my head around.

It kinda sounds like a movie that doesn't really need to exist, at least as far as the DCEU is concerned. 

It kinda sounds like a movie that doesn't really need to exist, at least as far as the DCEU is concerned.

No it doesn't outside of references to metahumans, Superman and a mid credits scene I won't spoil, it doesn't have many ties

I guess it just further established the crazy ass world that the DC universe characters exist in now

Would love to see Joker and Harley pop up in some form in a future Batman movie too