Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Next 8 Marvel movie release dates have been set.

This is after the July 2, 2019 Spiderman Far From Home release.

The dates are:

5/1/20

11/6/20

2/12/21

5/7/21

11/5/21

2/18/22

5/6/22

7/29/22

All eight are being labeled as untitled Marvel movies as of right now.

Black Widow prequel, Eternals movie, a movie about Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, GotG 3 are all expected to be part of the next 8.

Edited by The Evil Genius

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ironically Robert Downey Jr. could have easily played Ironman in the 90s, as well.  Along with SLJ playing Nick Fury.

I'd also throw Val Kilmer in there somewhere

Id say the only one that's an inexcusable whiff was Dolph as Thor. They'd have to find a better Thor for sure.

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

While I'd say it was pretty darn good, I can't get past the time travel paradox wrt Thanos being killed in the future.  The thing was, there was extensive discussion between Antman and War Machine amongst others, about the "rules" of time travel.  And then the film proceed totally violate all those rules anyway.   

Lazy, because they could have sent Thanos along with anyone else who needed to go "back into the past" so that the present was at least consistent. 

What was inconsistent with this? 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

28 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Id say the only one that's an inexcusable whiff was Dolph as Thor. They'd have to find a better Thor for sure.

What was inconsistent with this? 

Thanos from the past travels forward into the future just after the Avengers return from the past with the Infinity Stones.

They kill past Thanos in this future, therefore he can no longer return to the past.  So their entire past leading up that moment, including Thanos finding the Infinity stones and wiping out half the population, could never have happened.   Hence the paradox. 

Actual the most straightforward one was Nebula - how did she not disappear when she killed her past self?   (Unless her past self wasn't dead)

If I go back in time, even if only like 5 minutes, and kill my past self (or my mother/father/grandfather/whatever), then I could not have existed in order to  kill my past self.  Therefore it should be impossible.

Its a slightly different situation in Endgame, with the past versions travelling forward into the future.  But still the same issue.

10 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Thanos from the past travels forward into the future just after the Avengers return from the past with the Infinity Stones.

They kill past Thanos in this future, therefore he can no longer return to the past.  So their entire past leading up that moment, including Thanos finding the Infinity stones and wiping out half the population, could never have happened.   Hence the paradox. 

Actual the most straightforward one was Nebula - how did she not disappear when she killed her past self?   (Unless her past self wasn't dead)

If I go back in time, even if only like 5 minutes, and kill my past self (or my mother/father/grandfather/whatever), then I could not have existed in order to  kill my past self.  Therefore it should be impossible.

Its a slightly different situation in Endgame, with the past versions travelling forward into the future.  But still the same issue.

When the people were pulled forward, their original past selves didn't change. You can't change the past, just make branches off the timeline... or something.

23 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

They explained that's not how time travel works.  Banner explained it, then the Ancient One explained it better.  You're thinking of it in a linear fashion without a Quantum Realm component.  It is complicated, but basically, it's all alternate timelines and multiverses.  That's why they can go back in time, change a whole bunch of stuff, and come back to their original present and nothing has changed.

I think.  lol

The easiest way to think of it is the multiverse theory. When they went back and removed the stones (and changed a few things accidentally, hello Loki), it created a new universe/reality. That's why they needed access to the quantum realm to return to their own universe/reality (with the stones).

So now you're asking..why the need to return the stones afterwards? Because permanently removing them upset the flow of time in those universes/realities. It wouldn't impact the Avengers universe...but since they are the "good guys", they still care about other universes/realities. And returning them would also essentially undo the creating of additional universes/realities where those stones didn't exist (and things like Dormmamu would dominate).

Time wimey headache stuff.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understood everything perfectly.  Maybe it was because both my faves (X-Men & Spider-Man) are littered with time travel and time travelling characters. I figured that would be the plot given the strange behavior of, well... Strange, and Ant-Man exploring the quantum realm previously.

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Next 8 Marvel movie release dates have been set.

This is after the July 2, 2019 Spiderman Far From Home release.

The dates are:

5/1/20

11/6/20

2/12/21

5/7/21

11/5/21

2/18/22

5/6/22

7/29/22

All eight are being labeled as untitled Marvel movies as of right now.

Black Widow prequel, Eternals movie, a movie about Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, GotG 3 are all expected to be part of the next 8.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of those 8 is another Spiderman movie.  I think they'll try to get as much out of Tom Holland as they can while he's young.  

Yeah nothing they changed in the past would impact the future. That was said explicitly. The only thing that would change is the realities they took the stones from could become incredibly chaotic without the stones causing branching timelines/multiverses which is why they had to return them to those exact moments in order to keep one singular timeline. 

What I don't get is the Ancient One making the point of the Stones needing to be returned to preserve the singular timeline, but its okay to displace characters (Thanos and his army, Loki, Nebula, Captain America)  thus breaking any semblance of a singular timeline. What was the point of even returning the stones? 

Also how did Cap return the soul stone? Would it ressurect Black Widow?(maybe not a prequel)  Did And did Cap **** his pants when he met the gate keeper? 

Edited by KevinthePRF

So what I"m hearing is basically, yes you can go back in time and kill your own grandfather.  (Or rather, your grandfather can go forward in time die and never return)  And it creates some alternate reality where everything is still the same.  Except your grandfather died and so you and your parents were never born.  But for some reason they did.

BttF which they made fun of in the film, had better time travel logic than this.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

I thought it meant that you can kill your grandfather,  but in that reality/time line, you and your parents are never born , changing nothing about your own reality.... And that if you thought "Well ****, that wasn't a good idea" you could go even further back in time (to a separate reality (where gramps is still kicking) and you and your parents would be born in that alternate reality. 

Basically every trip potentially could create an alternate reality running parallel to your own. 🤓

Edited by Mr. Sinister

9 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So what I"m hearing is basically, yes you can go back in time and kill your own grandfather.  (Or rather, your grandfather can go forward in time die and never return)  And it creates some alternate reality where everything is still the same.  Except your grandfather died and so you and your parents were never born.  But for some reason they did.

BttF which they made fun of in the film, had better time travel logic than this.

At every time related event, there's a split to a new universe.  If you go back and change time, the old universe that you came from precedes as if your actions did not happen.  However, you've now also created a universe where your grandfather is dead (and you won't be born).

Going back and killing your grandfather doesn't change your timeline/universe.  It creates a new one where your grandfather is dead.  Your actions have consequences, just not in your timeline/universe.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Frankly, the whole thing is infinitely more enjoyable if you simply dont overthink it.  Folks are tying themselves in knots trying to understand time travel.  

Honestly, this one makes more sense than the others.

5 hours ago, drowland said:

Wouldn't surprise me if one of those 8 is another Spiderman movie.  I think they'll try to get as much out of Tom Holland as they can while he's young.  

Seems like from that trailer, they want to make him a key player. I hope they let this Spider-Man grow up. He doesn't have to be a teenager (although I like Tom Holland's younger portrayal). Downey did this for a decade. I think Holland can do the same.

I love the idea of Spiderman, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel being the face of the MCU moving forward.  But I think they also need give Wasp and Scarlet Witch their proper stature in the Avengers.  I know Wasp isn't Janet, but I still feel like Hope should have Janet's comic book stature because the character is so great.  Not entirely sure that Evangeline Lilly has the charisma to carry movies the way Evans and RDJ did though.

I think Paul Rudd also demonstrated in End Game that he has the screen presence to carry movies, so he shouldn't be underestimated.

I also really want one of the 8 movies to be another Captain America film starring Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan.  That torch must be passed and I really like those actors/characters.

Hulk is still around and he's in an interesting place now.  Could try giving him another movie, or at least one where he has a major collaboration with another character.

And lastly, we need a Fantastic Four.  And I'm pretty sure they're going to have to get very non-canonical with them because they can't have existed pre-Thanos, or else you can't explain their absence from the ordeal.  But they are the natural choice to fill the void in the MCU created by the loss of Thor, Stark, Rogers, and Romanov.

I don't think it's hard to nail the 4 as much as it is hard to nail Thing and Doom. Almost anybody  (as long as they have some actual acting chops, and aren't a pop culture add-on) can play the others. Only Reed Richards imo should actually be a heavy resume actor. 

Really wish they could throw DD universe in with the Avengers, or make a Spider-Man/DD movie, re-introducing Kingpin

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Anson Mount in Star Trek looks like Reed Richards, and he can play smart.  Although I think it might be best to go with no names for these roles, like they did with Captain America and Thor.  Start fresh and let the talent define the role.

The FF are stars though.  Warhead is right about that.  It won't be easy to cast them right not due them full justice.  Not this late in the game.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, Warhead36 said:

The issue with Fantastic Four is you essentially need four star actors to carry instead of just one like you do with other superhero movies. And you absolutely have to nail Dr. Doom, so make it five. Tough to pull off.

One thing I have full confidence in is their casting.  They've cast big actors, to medium size actors, to virtual unknowns.  They almost always nail it.

• Like 1

My son was disappointed that Bucky didn't get the Shield -- after rewatching Winter Soldier and Civil War is is completly understandable, Falcon was right there the whole time and laid himself on the line for Cap.

To me the way it looks set up is Avengers based around Falcon Cap, Bucky, Ant-Man/Wasp/Pyms, Scarlet Witch plus Asguardians of the Galaxy with Thor plus Strange, plus Black Panther plus Captain Marvel plus Spiderman.

So much of this Phase was done around the conflict between Cap and Iron Man.... with multiple build-ups to it. I suppose they can replace Iron Man's brains with Wakanda's advancements.

Thinking of plots that were never fully closed -- Zimo is still alive, Hydra is still around and there may be a movie where they come back for Bucky -- the underground rumblings....

Rewatching some of the other movies, the villians all seemed to be mini Thanos'