Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't see that as a bad thing. I didn't think Tatum was up to the task of fulfilling the role of Gambit. He's barely articulate and delivers all his lines the same way, Fox expected him to sell us on a Cajun accent? Doubtful. I did find it interested that it looked like he wanted to do some directing. 

And for a little rant - FF has been the biggest instance of studio/film-rights spite in recent memory. The rights would have reverted to Marvel THIS August had the movie not been made. Fox had a contract option on both director Josh Trank and actor Michael B. Jordan (the shoehorned race change). With reversion approaching they cobbled together a script, existing contract options, and an embarrassingly cheap budget (Trank's Chronicle was made on $12 million)

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but are you saying the new FF has an embarrassing budget? Per wikipedia, the budget for the new FF movie is $122 million. That's pretty hefty.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but are you saying the new FF has an embarrassing budget? Per wikipedia, the budget for the new FF movie is $122 million. That's pretty hefty.

I don't know, for FF that seems light. Ant-Man, which is focused on just 1 guy, had a budget just under $130 million.

Now you have Fantastic Four, and Dr. Doom, and they go to another dimension to gain powers, get comfy with their powers, then fight, and you do all that for less than what it cost to make Ant-Man? It's another bad sign for a movie that already has a lot of bad signs. The first Avengers movie had a budget of $225 mil, newer Spider-Man was $230 mil. I think Metalhead's rant is dead on.

Well let's see how FF is when it's released. I get a lot of the criticism, but I also know some the criticism has been ratcheted up by Marvel/Disney because they want to devalue the FF and X-Men licenses as much as possible since they aren't benefiting much from them with the Fox deal. 

Actually, I rather liked the first two F4 movies.

Liked the X Men trilogy. (But the later ones seemed really weak. I have been pretty convinced, lately, that they're mostly just turning them out, to prevent the rights from reverting. Although DoFP wasn't BAD.)

I don't know, for FF that seems light. Ant-Man, which is focused on just 1 guy, had a budget just under $130 million.

Now you have Fantastic Four, and Dr. Doom, and they go to another dimension to gain powers, get comfy with their powers, then fight, and you do all that for less than what it cost to make Ant-Man? It's another bad sign for a movie that already has a lot of bad signs. The first Avengers movie had a budget of $225 mil, newer Spider-Man was $230 mil. I think Metalhead's rant is dead on.

Factor in actor salaries. Avengers especially must have had a hell of a lot of overhead, paying all those A-listers. The new FF is largely lesser known actors who don't command a huge salary. Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, Miles teller, etc, probably work for pennies on the dollar compared to RDJ, Chris Evans, Scarlett J., etc. That means more of the budget is going toward production, CGI, etc.

I don't think it'll be too bad, at least action wise.

Actually, I rather liked the first two F4 movies.

Liked the X Men trilogy. (But the later ones seemed really weak. I have been pretty convinced, lately, that they're mostly just turning them out, to prevent the rights from reverting. Although DoFP wasn't BAD.)

DOFP was amazing, IMO. It could possibly be the best X-men film to date.

The only ones I didn't care for at all was X3, and Origins: Wolverine.

Also...anyone watch the Rogue edition of DOFP? I got it from Amazon but I haven't seen it yet. It's suppose to be an entirely different film.

Really? Gotta check that out. I thought the only thing that was different was Rogue's exclusion from the film. 

Just saw that Apocalypse pic. God that is AWFUL.

That's what really irks me about the Fox films. They change characters to be out of character, their appearances, costumes, ages, and powersets just because they can, like a big "f*** it". Deadpool may be the first movie that gets everything right, and that's only because Fox was hands off and it was Reynolds' film all the way through.

Edited by Metalhead

I need Marvel to unleash Cable. Tom Hardy could play him. Don't believe he was a mutant, just an old(er), badasd dude with big ass guns. Had a very "Dirty Harry" type of attitude. Cable used to team up with Deadpool all the time. My favorite comic series as a kid.

Cable was bioengineered by Sinister using DNA from Jean Grey and Cyclops, so he's definitely a mutant. One of my faves too. Was hoping they'd make a movie with him squaring off with Bishop in a Time travel flick. Those are two major ass kickers

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Thanks. That was the next stage of my rant. The Fantastic Four are "fantastic", science-y, adventurous explorers. With crazy powers that require a lot of effective cgi. In today's comic book movie boom, anything under a $180M budget for such property is mailing it in for cash grab. Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1

the first few reviews of Fantastic Four haven't been kind

This has probably been discussed to death in here, but I'm just not sure how much interest there is for FantasticFour, so if it isn't knocked out of the park like Downey Jr. did with the first Iron Man, it just falls flat

That's what really irks me about the Fox films. They change characters to be out of character, their appearances, costumes, ages, and powersets just because they can, like a big "f*** it". Deadpool may be the first movie that gets everything right, and that's only because Fox was hands off and it was Reynolds' film all the way through.

Which is why I wish some type of brain fart would happen and Fox would allow their contract to lapse and the rights would revert back to Marvel/Disney. 

Another thing about their X-Men movies that annoys me is they have very little idea how to sell the action sequences . Watching Whedon and co. make actions sequences in MCU look like something someone drew in a comic is amazing. They've raised the bar, and Fox is still making these really old school Hollywood looking battles where Magneto floats down slow as hell, and just raises his arms and has **** flying around. We've only seen the fastball special in one movie, and it sucked....just like that movie. 

Cable was bioengineered by Sinister using DNA from Jean Grey and Cyclops, so he's definitely a mutant. One of my faves too. Was hoping they'd make a movie with him squaring off with Bishop in a Time travel flick. Those are two major ass kickers

Is that his cartoon origin? 

• Like 1

Spot on, Gamebreaker. The new FF movie looks straight up cheap, with 2003 Hulk effects. That bad.

I mean, Ant Man went to the freaking microverse and the Thing throws a tank and it implodes/vaporizes on impact? Ugh.

Please, please, please let the rights revert to Marvel!