Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

16 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Dude, that is an excellent question. I don't know what they did for characters like Thanos or Hulk. Were they full CGI? I wish I were better educated on that type of thing. (No pun intended.) Maybe I need to study up on motion capture.

Full CGI worked HORRIBLY for Steppenwolf in Justice League.

Hulk and Thanos were motion capture.  I'm trying to think who or what in the MCU was full CGI.  The fire monster in Ragnarok, probably.  The Iron Legion in IM3.  

I think Steppenwolf was motion capture too. But there were a lot of reasons why that was so bad, having nothing to do with the method.  The SFX people simply didnt have enough time. 

• Like 2

Kinda off topic, but feel like if they ever bring Wolverine back for a new Weapon X saga, Luke Evans would be good as either Sabretooth or Omega Red

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Hulk and Thanos were motion capture.  I'm trying to think who or what in the MCU was full CGI.  The fire monster in Ragnarok, probably.  The Iron Legion in IM3.  

I think Steppenwolf was motion capture too. But there were a lot of reasons why that was so bad, having nothing to do with the method.  The SFX people simply didnt have enough time. 

Makes sense

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jon Hamm?  That's a great idea.  He'd be a fascinating choice.  Reed has a Don Draper quality to him with the important distinction that he's not a terrible or selfish person.

His name has also been thrown around. I'd take him for sure.

23 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Steppenwolf was (in the immortal words of Ken Beatrice) "gawd awful."

Great ideas re the FF. If it was 10 years ago (casting-wise) I'd almost want to give Gary Oldman a shot at Doom. Over the top enough for the Doom ego. Combination of creepy and gravitas. Plus he can nail a wack Slavic accent.

Jon Hamm can’t be in some whack ass FF movie, he’s gotta be the next Batman. He’s a perfect Bruce Wayne already. And that’s jaw/chin for the cowl is spot on. He would just need to get in the best shape of his life. 

Actually I don’t care if he does both. He’s outstanding in everything he does. 

It took about the first 45 minutes of the pilot episode of Mad Men for him to hit my “love this person, see them in everything they do” list 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JCB said:

Great ideas re the FF. If it was 10 years ago (casting-wise) I'd almost want to give Gary Oldman a shot at Doom. Over the top enough for the Doom ego. Combination of creepy and gravitas. Plus he can nail a wack Slavic accent.

Perfect in every way except age so you are right about the 10 years ago thing. Might he have even been too old 10 years ago? I don't know how old he is.

Edited by Chachie

FOX has made the X-Men a bunch of softies.  Onyx anyone who knows comics knows that the X men are the biggest grab. Thank God this merger is taking place. Marvel knows how to Utilize their properties better than anyone. FF will see their day in the sun also! 

Edited by ChettEye
  • Like 4

On 1/7/2019 at 2:38 PM, JCB said:

If we're going back in time, Reed Richards I could see being played by Jeff Goldblum although part of me would love to see a Nimoy/Spockesque Reed Richards.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is what screenwriters always get wrong about Reed Richards.  They either make him inscrutable and bland, or they him into a brainy, castrated nerd.  Stan Lee's Reed Richards is one of Marvel's greatest characters.  He was the ideal 1961 American man.  He's part Sherlock Holmes, part JFK, part dad from Father Knows Best.  He is a bit aloof because real leadership is a lonely walk.  But he's compassionate and everyone likes and trusts him.  He relates to ordinary people.  He's an ambassador personality.  He's one of the universe's most brilliant minds but he's not Tony Stark or Steven Strange.  He has no ego.  He's not foolish.  He is open-minded but he doesn't overreach like RDJ's Tony does.  He loves other people unlike Strange.  He's got a real family (which includes Ben) and they are the central part of his personality.  He lives a life of service.  His toughness and confidence are defining attributes.  He's patriarchal and commanding, but it's in the Sherlock Holmes way.  He knows better than anyone else what needs to be done and how to do it and so he tells his people what to do and expects them to listen to him and trust him even when he withholds information from them.

He's going to be really hard to get right.  I think it will take an actor with the extreme good looks and quiet magnetism of a Chris Pine to pull him off.  I think Pine is our finest leading male right now.  He can play Gregory Peck as well as he plays Paul Newman.  His portrayal of Robert Bruce in Outlaw King is the kind of thing I'd be looking for in a Reed Richards performance.  He can be understated and step back and let the big personalities of Ben and Sue and Johnny blossom without fading away in the background.

I can agree with some of that, but Reed was also, from the very beginning, a workaholic. Sue always felt neglected.  Reed's not necessarily a nerd, but he is the kind of guy who gets so lost and caught up in his work that he loses track of everything else. He was a flawed character too which is one thing Stan strove to create. He wanted his Marvel heroes to be anti-Supermen. 

I wonder if our image of Reed changes based on when we read him. I read a bunch of the old 60's FF up to about the John Byrne run into the 80's. Then, I mostly fell off the comic map.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2

Same time period for me, Burgold. Although with digital media I've been catching up on lots of Marvel via their Unlimited app.

Jonathan Hickman's run on the FF was super strong. His basic presumption was that the FF (and Reed particularly) were fundamentally about space exploration. Villains and the other stuff just came with the package. Lots of cool multiverse theory, including multiple Reeds.

I was meh on Homecoming, but..... Take my money. Take everything.

Mysterio (a childhood fave) is about to do some damage to the bug screen. Not to mention I'm pretty sure no other villain got fried the most by Spider-Man's jokes (maybe Rhino?)

Sign me up. **** his gump ass friends still, but sign me up, and Marisa Tomei just gets sexier and sexier....

13 hours ago, Burgold said:

I can agree with some of that, but Reed was also, from the very beginning, a workaholic. Sue always felt neglected.  Reed's not necessarily a nerd, but he is the kind of guy who gets so lost and caught up in his work that he loses track of everything else. He was a flawed character too which is one thing Stan strove to create. He wanted his Marvel heroes to be anti-Supermen. 

I wonder if our image of Reed changes based on when we read him. I read a bunch of the old 60's FF up to about the John Byrne run into the 80's. Then, I mostly fell off the comic map.

You're right.  He was.  And Sue's loneliness was also the foundation for the Namor triangle.

I guess Reed's workaholic trait was never that interesting or essential to me because it didn't feel real enough.  Stan Lee portrayed him as this guy driven by an intense love of pure science and discovery and everything took a back seat to that.  But Da Vinci-esque geniuses like that are more interesting when they're portrayed as worldly.  To me, workaholism like Reed's should be grounded in a fundamental insecurity and anti-social trait that Reed just didn't really have. Stan Lee should have given that to him.  He did it with Stark and Pym.  He spent a lot of time on Ben Grimm's insecurities, I think he needed to do some of that with Reed.  I read the first 100 issues of FF a couple of years ago, and I can't recall any internal conflict from Reed at all.  He doesn't think or talk about himself.  So it's left later (and IMO lesser) writers with the necessity of backfilling in his motivations and they settled on "nerdy eunuch" as his type.  Which I hate.

If I were writing Reed, I would drop the autistic spectrum stuff entirely and instead give him a Sherlock Holmesian streak of sociopathy.  The autism is too innocent.  It's a boring dead end.  And honestly, it makes his relationship with Sue feel unbelievable.  I would want him to be more capable of manipulation and the understanding of the emotional states of others.  Sociopathy is more fruitful, but I wouldn't do it in a flippant, open, or harmless way like Sherlock Holmes writers do with that character.  More like Dexter, but not nearly as severe.  It would be sourced in childhood trauma/struggle (have to invent new canon I guess).  It would be something that Reed recognizes in himself and hides and something he tries to treat on his own.  He wants to be normal and he consciously works at empathy, like Dexter, but he wouldn't be as clumsy or dramatic about it as Dexter is.  His family is what redeems him and he views them as his lifeline to health and normalcy and that's why he is so fiercely protective and controlling of them.  He wouldn't be poorly socialized, but he also doesn't readily connect with other minds, so he's isolated.  And in that isolation, his genius flourishes through work and achievement.  And yes, there would be some Da Vinci-esque love of discovery motivating him too.

Anyway, that's how I would prefer him to be written.

I wasn’t a big fan of Homecoming either outside of Keaton as vulture. 

This one looks much better imo. I love the new suit and mysterio being the villain. 

Granted, it does seem crazy to me that we will have to wait until the 3rd Spider-Man movie to get a Spider-Man in NYC but ah well. Also, it’s gotta be super easy at this point to determine who Spider-Man is right? I mean between the party where Peter disappears and Spider-Man shows up, him randomly appearing in DC when the class is there and never returning and now doing the same thing in Europe? This is Clark Kent with glasses Superman without glasses level silly. 

But the movie does look awesome. I laughed for 5 straight minutes over “Sup, dickwad?” 

• 1 month later...

Punisher & Jessica Jones Cancelled At Netflix, Latter's Season 3 Will Air

No shocker here.    

Sucks that, Marvel has that 2 year no compete clause with Netflix; so any potential revival or reboot, can't occure before 2020 forthe shows canceled last year and 2021 for the shows just canceled.

I think at least Daredevil will eventually return; though maybe through a reboot.

55 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Knowing a show is destined for cancellation completely sucks my enthusiasm to invest in watching it.

i haven't started the 2nd season of Punisher for that very reason

I also have no idea why they even want to do another season of Jessica Jones. Season 2 was boo boo, way too much focus on her annoying ass friend

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Knowing a show is destined for cancellation completely sucks my enthusiasm to invest in watching it.

Same. It was also the reason why I struggled to finish Daredevil, despite it being so awesome.

There's been a lot of chatter on potential revivals, but until something concrete is announced, there's no reason to expend an ounce of energy on it.

It's like the 5th-6th show of mine to be canceled/ended abruptly 

Edited by Mr. Sinister

• 2 weeks later...

Shame that the Disney team didn't get to make this one.

Made me think it would be amazing if they could do something like Logan but for Magneto. Use both McKellen and Fassbender to do a movie that spans the character's life. From surviving the Holocaust to Nazi hunting, to being an old man.

Kinda Marvel'd out. Will watch some of these when they come out later.

Captain Marvel looks really good in the effects department. I'll def be missing out there. Have zero interest in the story anymore and Captain Marvel isn't a character I care that much about. Last Avengers was good enough ending IMO.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Going to see Captain Marvel tonight. Lot of angry people because Brie Larson made a comment about "white people" :rofl89:

I saw the trumpy subreddits brigading discussions of the movie and its rottentomatoes page.  They're pathetic virgins who are terrified of women, makes sense that this movie makes them so insecure.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I like the character and I think Kelly Sue DeConnick's runs are some of the best that Marvel has published over the last five years.

Talented production team + talented cast + great character and source material.  I'm also interested to see how they adapt Monica Rambeau to the cinematic universe.  I always kind of liked her and this film is supposed to introduce her mother.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, Chachie said:

His name has also been thrown around. I'd take him for sure.

Steppenwolf was (in the immortal words of Ken Beatrice) "gawd awful."

"432-WMAL is the number here on Sportscall!"

"Have I told you about Arby shakes? Try the Jamoca!"

Edited by Mournblade
  • Haha 1

Back on topic, kind of weird that Marvel would pick Captain Marvel as a solo film WITHOUT first introducing her in one of the earlier

Marvel movies (like Avengers). Black Panther and Thor made sense as individual movies, because they had been introduced in earlier

Avenger movies, so mainstream audiences were familiar with them. But unless you're Marvel-phile (like me) you pretty much have no idea

who Captain Marvel is.

That said, I can't wait for the movie.