Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I have full confidence in Kevin Feige. This is not his first rodeo.  He hasnt lead us wrong thus far.

There's plenty of characters that people have already come to know still around, all the Fox characters coming over, they've got a lot of toys to play with.  If people are scared of the future because the core Avengers arent around, that's on them.  In all likelihood, the next iteration of the MCU will be some variation of the Secret Wars story.  That's reason to be intrigued, IMO.

I see no reason why anyone should be any less enthused by the MCU's future as they were about the MCU's past. To each his own, I guess.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@justice98 i never said people are peace out after Avengers 4, stop overthinking what I'm saying.  What the new climax?  The after credits scenes didn't take long to show it was Thanos, now what? 

We must just have different circles, but if guys like Evans are dropping out, at what point are we going to get away from the original avengers group?  Are we gonna keep making Avengers movies without them?

I don't want to see Disney blow their wade trying to keep up this torrent pace, individual movies is one thing, but what made MCCU what it was is clear vision of tying it all together.  

True I have a hard time seeing them reaching the same level of success and avoiding fatigue by bringing in a new "biggest baddest" enemy. 

They will have a second era of heroes if they choose to continue the same post-Thanos universe without doing a reboot. The new team of Black Panther, Spider-Man, the new Captain America (Bucky?), Captain Marvel (possibly) and a new Iron Man would breathe some fresh air into the world after the original heroes have departed the world. 

• Like 1

The MCU has gone on an unprecedented run in an arena that has been pretty hard to capture, embarking on a decade long storyline that is about to culminate.

I think It's naive to assume that it will keep chugging along the way it has, just because it has. It is a gigantic thing with a ton of moving parts, controlled by human beings, and as such, it is fallible, history has shown us over and over again, that nothing lasts forever.

All it really takes is one wrong casting choice, and it can start to fall apart. Frankly, I've had problems with several of the standalone films, like Guardians 2, Spider-Man, Thor 2, and some of the Iron Mans, and I know many people that have as well, but overall, what kept many Intrigued (myself included), was the main actors themselves, and the Avengers tie-in. They have not failed at that yet.

The faces are changing, and will change some more, and when that happens, it's debatable whether or not fans will fall in love the same way they fell in love with the others. It certainly will not happen with me. I can certainly see a world where they still make money, but in terms of quality, I highly doubt it will be at the level it has been, building this juggernaut for as long as they have.

Imo, to assume they will just keep on with smash hit after smash  hit for the foreseeable future, post Thanos storyline, is to underestimate just how special of a run this has been

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The MCU has gone on an unprecedented run in an arena that has been pretty hard to capture, embarking on a decade long storyline that is about to culminate.

I think It's naive to assume that it will keep chugging along the way it has, just because it has. It is a gigantic thing with a yon of moving oats, controlled by human beings, and as such, it is fallible, history has shown us over and over again, that nothing lasts forever.

All it really takes is one wrong casting choice, and it can start to fall apart. Frankly, I've had problems with several of the standalone films, like Guardians 2, Spider-Man, Thor 2, and some of the Iron Mans, and I know many people that have as well, but overall, what kept many Intrigued (myself included), was the main actors themselves, and the Avengers tie-in. They have not failed at that yet.

The faces are changing, and will change some more, and when that happens, it's debatable whether or not fans will fall in love the same way they fell in love with the others. It certainly will not happen with me. I can ceftainly see a world where they still make money, but in terms of quality, I highly doubt it will be at the level it has been, building this juggernaut for as long as they have.

Imo, to assume they will just keep on with smash hit after smash  hit for the foreseeable future, post Thanos storyline, is to underestimate just how special of a run this has been

I think their run is so strong, that they have built up enough credit with me to stay with them through a few duds.

so far, their misses have largely been confined to TV/Streaming (looking at you Inhumans)

• Like 2

On 10/19/2018 at 10:05 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Luke Cage the show made a lot of ****ing terrible choices to end the second season and deserved to be canceled.  The character ran it's course as a solo vehicle and the show rapidly and incomprehensibly jumped the shark.  It was always skating on thin ice with it's many, many contrivances.  It was propped up by the strength of some of it's compelling villains and support characters, and Mike Colter's easy likability.  Deciding that Luke Cage should dump Claire Temple and become the villain for... reasons... was just god awful.  Alfre Woodard's entire character arc was ****ing absurd.  She's very talented but that **** just didn't work.

Luke Cage didn't necessarily become the villain, just the Kingpin.  I imagine if they did season 3, it would revolve around a "least of all evils" theme, where LC would look the other way at certain crimes (drugs, etc.) but they are certain rules which LC enforces. Like maybe no dealing to kids or pregnant women.   And the conflict would be to how much he could ignore. 

I thought Season 2 was better than Season 1.  Alot of people liked Cottonmouth as a villain.  The problem was why didn't Cage just simply break into Harlem's Paradise and whoop his a$$.  Its not like anyone could have stopped him at the time.  At least until he got that magic bullet, but Cage didn't know that.

I don't blame Marvel Studios for the failures of Netflix and ABC.

The movies have pretty much been a parade of awesome films since they hit their stride with Winter Soldier.

You give Feige the Fox rights and the ability to replace the Guardians with Marvel's most iconic characters from Fantastic Four and we're talking about the potential of them entering their best creative phase yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Finished Daredevil Season 3.  It was outstanding.  The litany of Trump allusions were salient and timely.  Watch it if you haven't yet.

I'm on like #5. The first couple episodes were a little too dreamy and introspective but it's returning to rough-and-tumble form now. 

Edit- BTW, that show does not slack on the fight scenes even after 2 seasons. Primo. Charlie Cox is a badass fake fighter.

Edited by Chachie

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I think their run is so strong, that they have built up enough credit with me to stay with them through a few duds.

so far, their misses have largely been confined to TV/Streaming (looking at you Inhumans)

Same. I liked how they redeemed themselves with Ragnarock. I doubt we'll see  an Iron Man 4, but Im hoping Downey Jr can appear in some other non Avengers fashion, similar to Homecoming, but a bit more, and without the babysitting. Kinda like Hulk and Thor.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 10:43 AM, TK said:

Just finished Daredevil Season 3.

Hide contents

Though I kept expecting Bullseye to kill off Karen since he didn't get to kill off Elektra in Season 2.

Oh & a FU to FOX for them not allowing the word adamantium to be used. 

LOVED the nod to Gladiator in that fight scene.

Speaking of fight scenes, the prison hallway fight was awesome.

Yeah, once they did that whole backstory on Karen, I was for sure she was a goner.

Wasn't sure who you were talking about when you mentioned Bullseye (never read the comics), had to look it up .. seems pretty obvious they're setting him up to be the major villain of S4.

Yeah prison hallway fight scene was pretty good.  Much better than anything in S2.  The Russian hideout hallway scene in S1 is still tops IMO.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Too much hate for Iron Fist on here..........Season 2 was good, imo.  I actually thought it was better than season 2 of Luke Cage, at least what I've seen of S2 LC, which is through episode 9, so I need to watch the final 4 episodes.  

My problem with LC S2 is that it just seems slower/boring.  Bushmaster is pretty cool, but I am tired of Miriah and Shades.  It lacks that fire season 1 brought, doesn't make me want to watch it all in a weekend binge.  

Once they cancelled Luke Cage, it was obvious it was all about Disney's new streaming service coming out 2019.  There is going to be two shows on there, one for Loki and one for Scarlet Witch and it's rumored there are going to be two more series but they cannot confirm which characters will be the focal point (one guess is Nick Fury).  

I'd like a Powerman and Ironfist series, it would probably be a lot better as a duo instead of separate shows, but I won't hold my breath.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Netflix just pulled the plug on all future Marvel series.  

• Like 1

Finished watching DD- Season 3.  Pretty good season.  I will do on the record and say, that will be it for DD.  I fully expecting Netflix to eventually cancel all their Marvel shows.

At some point in the future, there will be reboot of some of the shows on either Disney's streaming service or Disney will have a second streaming service for the R-rated shows.

On 10/26/2018 at 8:02 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

So maybe using social media to gauge interest in a show is ****ing retarded. I always wondered how Netflix tracked ratings.

Looking like Daredevil days may be numbered as well.

Without looking I imagine they have a backend database that can tell how many times unique profiles request a specific video stream for an episode or movie.  You would kinda need that just for it to function, total counts per episode or movie should be easy after that, its just a database query at that point (fancy term for asking a database a question)

Edited by Renegade7

18 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Say goodbye to DareDevil next.

Daredevil Season 3 Lost 57% Of Season 2 Viewership In First Week

If that doesn't improve overtime, there will be no more Daredevil and that probably doesn't bode well for Jessica Jones and The Punisher.

It could be, they have just milked all they can.

I'm skeptical of their whole methodology though.  They dont really give much background on their data.  

And they dont say how these shows compare to the rest of the shows on Netflix.  Like how do they compare to say, House of Cards or Orange is the New Black, for example. So even if they decline, are they still more popular than everything else?  They dont bother to tell you any of that context.  They just compare the Marvel shows to each other, but not to anything else on Netflix.

Daredevil is gonna have the worst case of CTE ever.  He spent 3 seasons bareknuckle brawling, getting stabbed, and generaly getting his ass kicked half the time.  Not to mention having a building fall on him.  I dont know how he is able to get out of bed, let alone still maintain his elite fighting ability.  Unless I missed a meeting, super stamina or healing ability wasnt one of his powers.

Edited by justice98
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is this a good place to ask questions about Marvel Fan Fiction? That's been my latest binge since I can't really go to the movies, and there is such a long wait in between movies anyway. So I've been reading these things for the better part of a year. It started with just looking for some good works with Gambit in it and I found A good rewrite of X3, but with Gambit in it. Then i was looking for some stuff with Rogue and found a nice story with Rogue becoming more like the Rogue from the X-Men Cartoons, where she meets Captain Marvel and some other stuff like a blog site where somebody wrote about X-Men the early days, which is just basically Cyclops, Jean, Hank and Bobby goofing around doing teen stuff and learning to control their powers. 

But I'm wondering if anyone else reads this stuff and what they've found good? I can go to sites like tvtropes, archiveofourown, or fanfiction and do a search but that just gives me a bunch of results and I have to either start reading and get 1000 words in or so before I realize its bad. I'm trying to find some easier ways of finding goood stuff to read. 

I dont read fan fiction, per se, but I do kinda get a kick out of reading all the bogus plot summaries of these Avengers movies that come out on Reddit or 4Chan. 

Like, I know it's fake, but in my mind, it doesnt sound half bad.  lol

Edited by justice98

I think for me the main thing is that I'm always looking for free stuff that I can read. I could go to the library and often do, but there just aren't enough good books being made, or maybe there are but I don't know about them and so its kinda the same question of how do you find a good book. 

But with fanfiction, the part of introducing the characters and caring about what happens to them is already taken care of, we already know who Captain America or Gambit or Wolverine is and so its more about what would happen if ... And I've seen stuff like I named above where its like a rewrite of a movie, or a continuation of a plot, or a backstory leading up to a scene in a movie, lots of stuff. Even totally new episodes. They're not all good, but there's so much free stuff out there, and when they source their material and stay consistent with the Marvel universe it can help me understand a lot about characters who maybe aren't explained well enough in the movies (like I don't think Hawkeye was done well enough in the first few Avengers movies but some fanfiction has caught me up on his backstory).