Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Jessica Jones picks up about halfway through the season.  Krysten Ritter is damn good.  Beautiful and talented and charismatic.  It's fun watching her inhabit the role.  And the villain is a lot better than I initially thought.  The season is worth watching, just power through the beginning and fastforward through the very cringey Hogarth romance and enjoy watching Jessica do her thing.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 9:51 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think Netflix has their own little wing of the MCU that's largely autonomous from Feige and Marvel Studios, and in general, their work is much worse.  Daredevil was the only series that I thought was strong pretty much start to finish.

Punisher was uneven and strained credulity at times, but the performances were memorable and made the season worth watching.

I'm only two and a half episodes in to JJ.  This season has had a really corny and unpleasant feminine energy.  One of the major problems for me that the series has had is how unlikable all of the supporting characters are.  Jessica is charismatic and interesting, and she's got virtually nothing to play off.  I keep thinking to myself why would she ever be friends with such an annoying try-hard like Trish?  Jessica is cool and Trish is not.  They have nothing in common and zero chemistry.  The only thing more painful than their scenes together are the scenes of Malcolm and Trish.   Hogarth's scenes send me off in waves in cringe.  The villains haven't come close to matching the quality of Kilgrave.  None of the characters aside from Jessica and her detective friend communicate like human beings.  Most of them are so wild-eyed and melodramatic and snotty.  It's just a very unpleasant viewing experience.

I realized last night that Trish is supposed to be funny.  That part of the show was meant to be funny.  I am stunned.  I'm not sure there is anyone less funny that they could have cast.

Jessica and Trish are sisters on the show, that's why they put up with each other. I finished the the third season, it was actually better than the second season, but not by much. I think I can see why the actress who portrays JJ wasn't going to continue even if Netflix was still doing Marvel shows. The writers remind me of the writers for Supergirl, they don't have any clue how to write for the main character, and without being able to use strong storylines from the comics to use(for both characters, not being able to cast the right supporting characters prevents the better storylines from being used), they elevate the supporting characters that no one gives a crap about. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 9:25 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t think they tried to make him

unfunny. He’s more wisecracking than Tobey Maguire was. The biggest reason for me is that I’ve always preferred Spider-Man solo not within a shared universe so while I really like the marvel Spider-Man from civil war, avengers and HC, I think they cheapen his character quite a bit. Holland is basically running around in an iron man suit with Spider-Man paint. That’s not my Spider-Man. He doesn’t need a supercomputer in his suit. They’ve cheapened him so much.

While I see what you mean, there is a huge section of Spider-Man comics where Peter uses his own technology to improve his tech. And Stark did give him an Iron Spider suit around the time of the Civil War in the comics, so all of that stuff is rooted in comic lore just as much as Spider-Man being a solo act was. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jessica Jones picks up about halfway through the season.  Krysten Ritter is damn good.  Beautiful and talented and charismatic.  It's fun watching her inhabit the role.  And the villain is a lot better than I initially thought.  The season is worth watching, just power through the beginning and fastforward through the very cringey Hogarth romance and enjoy watching Jessica do her thing.

There is this overarching "can I be a real hero?" story arc for the third season that really works, especially considering the differing opinions of the characters on what a hero actually is. But I think some of the final episode undoes some of what they developed, especially the last shot, but I get they wanted to keep it open ended considering the character has a chance to return on Disney+. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Jessica and Trish are sisters on the show, that's why they put up with each other. I finished the the third season, it was actually better than the second season, but not by much. I think I can see why the actress who portrays JJ wasn't going to continue even if Netflix was still doing Marvel shows. The writers remind me of the writers for Supergirl, they don't have any clue how to write for the main character, and without being able to use strong storylines from the comics to use(for both characters, not being able to cast the right supporting characters prevents the better storylines from being used), they elevate the supporting characters that no one gives a crap about.  

Rachel Taylor did better when the season veered into her dramatic wheelhouse.  She can play pained and vulnerable, but she can't play funny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KevinthePRF said:

So me and my wife just started binging on the Marvel Netflix series.  They are much better than I thought.  So is their cancellation permanent or could Disney continue the same characters/series on their upcoming streaming network or elsewhere?

I think they're done, but if theres any hope for any of them, Daredevil is the one

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Punisher was pretty badass too--Shane Bernthal nailed the role.

Jon (DC dude, btw), * Oh, I get the joke*

I thought all of them (save for S1 of IronFist) were good.

But DD was just a cut above. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He nails everything. Including your mom. 

Only when the rent is late.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Jon (DC dude, btw

I started to type "Shane the Punisher" and switched mid-sentence. Long day.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I thought all of them (save for S1 of IronFist) were good.

Except that poofy haired doofus they cast as Danny Rand, they were all well casted, well written. Vincent d'Onofrio as Kingpin and David Tenant as Killgrave were fantastic. Kristen Ritter was great. 

So disappointed they're all done now. I'd love to see some of them show up in the MCU, even in bit roles. Especially Deborah Ann Woll....

On 6/25/2019 at 11:44 AM, Gamebreaker said:

There is this overarching "can I be a real hero?" story arc for the third season that really works, especially considering the differing opinions of the characters on what a hero actually is. But I think some of the final episode undoes some of what they developed, especially the last shot, but I get they wanted to keep it open ended considering the character has a chance to return on Disney+.  

I just finished the season, and I agree with you that it's stronger than season 2.  Ultimately, I thought it ended well.  There were some satisfying series-long arcs that were brought to fruition.  And I thought Ritter's performance was particularly strong.  I feel like JJ was exceptionally good at exploring and conveying the consequences of the character's actions, distracting you from the (sometimes big) plot holes, setting up believable character arcs, and hitting their beats with proper emotional impact.  By comparison Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and particularly Punisher were just not very good at pulling these things off.

The shortcoming of the series was in the supporting cast IMO.  The characters were complex, but not always interesting and often cringey.  Trish drove me crazy at times, although I feel like I finally got to understand her by the end of the series when they gave us her background and resolved her arc.  But Hogarth was always tough to take, and too often felt like a pure plot device rather than a real person.  Malcolm also got pretty stale, and the actor just didn't really have any charm or chemistry with the other characters.  I think he was a casting error.  But Jessica's new love interest was pretty good, I'm glad they brought him in to the show.  It was enjoyable to watch him chop it up with Ritter.

I also thought the choice of villain ended up being strong.  His interactions were surprisingly tense, which is surprising given who he is and how quickly he's revealed.  This season really didn't follow a traditional big bad villain arc and structure.  What they went for was far more complicated and ambitious.  And I think they pulled it off.  I'm impressed with the skill of the story-tellers.  This series ended up being much more experimental than the other Marvel Netflix series and it worked.

My advice to anyone who is on the fence about watching the season, just power through the first few epsiodes, skip the corny 90's erotic thriller cliche romance between Hogarth and Kith (which is obviously just a plot device), and enjoy the conclusion of an unusual and interesting hero's story.

• Like 4

I liked that this season took turns that I didn't see coming.  I have watched so much TV and read so many stories that I usually can understand the technical machinery underneath that the writers use to create the story, and predict what choices they're going to have to make.  But JJ followed a different structure than the rest of the genre.  It was much more of a true detective serial than super hero tale.

I was also surprised that the series ended with Trish being a true co-protagonist.  I did not see that coming during and after season one.  And I would not have liked that if you'd told me that's where the writers were going beforehand.  But the way it was executed, I liked it.  They pulled it off.

• Like 1

Spiderman: Far From Home. I mean who in the world watches this franchise? Who in the world saw Tom Holland and thought --

"there's your next Cary Grant, right there"? And don't get me started on that Jacob Batalon kid. I hope this movie goes the way

of XMen: Dark Phoenix and dies a swift and merciful death. 

Edited by Mournblade
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Spiderman: Far From Home. I mean who in the world watches this franchise? Who in the world saw Tom Holland and thought --

"there's your next Cary Grant, right there"? And don't get me started on that Jacob Batalon kid. I hope this movie goes the way

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

I knew it, I'm not alone here.

Edited by Renegade7

He aint all that wrong. Spider-Man benefits greatly from the juggernaut of the MCU and the tie in to the Avengers... And Tom Holland, who is perfect as both Spidey and Parker. In Homecoming, His sidekicks are all ****, and Shocker is reduced to an alias passed around by several differerent characters. I loved Keaton  as Vulture, but its not what i remembered from the comics (this must have been a different one). The vulture I remembered (Toombs) needed serum to stay young and use the suit, and was mad.

The same looks to be true of Mysterio in Far From Home, making him some weird alien, not the magician/stage actor.

And for some odd reason, they seem hell bent on further Iron Man-ing his costume

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And for some odd reason, they seem hell bent on further Iron Man-ing his costume

This drives me crazy and one reason I’ll stan for TASM anyday. My boy made his suit and webs and even works to make them shock proof  

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man