Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Redskins vs. 2005 Redskins

Hogs 1991

2012 Redskins vs 2005 Redskins  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win in a match up between the two ?

• 2012 Redskins
    • 2005 Redskins

That 05 Redskins team was actually legit good. I believe even when we were 5-6 we were one of the top rated teams on sites like FootballOutsiders and Pro Football Focus. We had some real bad luck losses that year(like the Tampa game, man I still get salty over that, Alstott did not cross the plane!).

If Rogers doesn't drop that pick we probably go to the NFC Title game if not Super Bowl...

I was 11 in 1979 and I vividly remember us blowing the game against Dallass 35-34. Cut the kid some slack, it's not like he was 3. I remember watching the Skins at 8 years old and knowing who won and lost. I had a basic understanding if the game.

I remember that game as well. That is probably still the worst loss ever in my Skins fandom; however, I can imagine Packers fans have to be feeling doubly worse than that after today's game.

That 05 Redskins team was actually legit good. I believe even when we were 5-6 we were one of the top rated teams on sites like FootballOutsiders and Pro Football Focus. We had some real bad luck losses that year(like the Tampa game, man I still get salty over that, Alstott did not cross the plane!).

If Rogers doesn't drop that pick we probably go to the NFC Title game if not Super Bowl...

The run defense was lagging a bit early on, but stiffened once Lavar got reinserted back into the lineup late in the season.

Moss at one point was on pace for 2,000 receiving yds, but teams started to double him. Then Portis and Cooley started to heat up.

People simply do not understand how good that team was before Brunell got hurt.

By late December and into January, they were running on fumes, and still beat a tough TB team with the #1 defense, on the road, just on the strength of the D alone.

Then we damn near upset the Seahawks, knocking the hell out of the league MVP Shaun Alexander.

That team was really really good

Moss at one point was on pace for 2,000 receiving yds, but teams started to double him. Then Portis and Cooley started to heat up.

I was impressed at how the offense got rolling after the early bye week following the Monday Night Miracle. I've always thought that the key injury that year was to David Patten in the Tampa regular season game. Patten didn't have huge stats but I think garnered enough attention to free up others. After he went down the offense sputtered until we somehow got it re-clicking somewhat against the Cowboys and Giants late in the season, before Brunell got hurt and we struggled the rest of the way.

I remember reading after the season that Patten had been healthy enough to return late in the season but got left on IR.  Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if we had won just a few more games to secure a first-round bye, but a matchup at Seattle, who went 13-3 that year, was inevitable.  Hated how anemic our offense was in both playoff games out there under Gibbs 2.

2005 Redskins. The defense the last 5 weeks were ANIMALS. Freakin' Philip Daniels was out there looking like Deacon Jones during the 5-0 run to end the season.

The max protect, throw to Moss formula also worked unbelievably well given that we only had two guys to throw to (Moss, Cooley). The 2005 offensive line was also actually really good, not shielded by the read option. Thomas, Samuels, Jansen...

It's too bad they threw away that Seattle game when Alexander had a concussion and was out. They just ran out of gas.

Gibbs and Williams would have shut down the 2012 team, with no disrespect to0 Griffin or Morris.

Its simple; Gibbs would do what Gibbs does best; create a game plan that would confuse the defense, and its pretty self explanatory what Williams, with Taylor to utilize, would steamroll Griffin.

You can hate on Williams all you want, but truth is, he gets the most out of his players, and I cringe imagining Taylor coming in on a blindside blitz on Griffin; picture an 18 wheeler plowing into a Corolla.

One thing to remember...

Our D line was very good at batting down passes. If you remember the TB playoff game NFL Films coverage, it drove Chris Simms insane.

One of Griffins struggles is the low trajectory on some of his quick passes, or outright telegraphing, which could affect him greatly.

2005 all the way.

And I would feel badly for Griffin in that kind of game.

Sure the 2012 was great, but let's not forget that at this time Griffin was rarely sliding for protection, and that would have been devastating against ST. He would have gotten his number early and shut them down altogether.

No match here.

2005 hands down. And I'm not even talking about Coaching staff. Gibbs facing Haslett, really?

Archived