Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Redskins vs. 2005 Redskins

Hogs 1991

2012 Redskins vs 2005 Redskins  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win in a match up between the two ?

• 2012 Redskins
    • 2005 Redskins

I thought we as a fan base could use a little fun distraction from our beloved teams failure by remembering some of its great times and comparing its most recent ones. I feel personally that these are two of the greatest teams in the Snyder-era, and I have been wondering what it would be like if the two faced off against each other. I think that the 2005 Redskins would win, because they seem more balanced, and Williams defense featuring a once in a lifetime type of safety in Sean Taylor gives this team the upper hand. Who do you guys think was the better team is, and please explain why. Who would have won between 

vs these guys 

Warning: Lots of Profanity in first video

Strangely, what may have kept both teams from the pinnacle were late season injuries to starting quarterbacks.

I truly believe Coach would of brought home his and our 4th Lombardi where it not for injury and bad luck. 

Those 2 playoff teams his second go-around were far from great teams. But they had all the momentum going into the post season and just run out of gas and bodies. 

Hail. 

yeah i'd have to say the 2012 redskins would kick the **** out of the 2005 redskins. the read option was just so deadly in 2012 with a healthy RG3 and AlMo running the football.

Greg Williams, being the attacking defensive coordinator he was then, makes me wonder how he would have attacked RG3, Alfred Morris, and the read option. I think he would would have brought Sean Taylor in the box a few times, but you never know.

The depressing thing about this thread is the realization that we lost to Seattle in each of our last three playoff appearances, and since (including) 2005 the Seahawks have made two Super Bowl appearances and likely will clinch a third in about five hours.

Edit: at 4:45 pm EST, chances of a third Seattle SB appearance aren't looking good

The 2005 Redskins D was susceptible to the run, and gave up explosive runs for much of the season. They did however, have a top flight pass defense.

That comes into play when you realize how bad the 12 defense was. The 05 offense pre Brunell injury, wouldve had their way with Hasletts defense. No way theyd have any answer for 05 Moss, and at the same time be able to contain Portis.

That means that RG3 and that light oline, would be playing from behind. And theyd have no chance against Gregg Williams.

Griffin gets picked off 2x by Sean Taylor, and the 05 Skins cruise 38-21

You make a good point Mr. Sinister . I don't doubt that is how the game will play out, but you have to take into consideration that if the 05 defense struggled against the run like you say they did, the 2012 offense led the league in rushing yards during their time, and that could play a part in the game between the two.

You make a good point Mr. Sinister . I don't doubt that is how the game will play out, but you have to take into consideration that if the 05 defense struggled against the run like you say they did, the 2012 offense led the league in rushing yards during their time, and that could play a part in the game between the two.

True, but it would only come into play if the defense could keep the game close.

That offense benefitted from a lot of misdirection and deception. If Brunell, Portis, Moss and Cooley are humming that forces Griffin to play straight up, drop back football.

Youve got Shawn Springs, Walt Harris, Carlos Rogers, Ryan Clark, and Sean Taylor, vs a hobbled Garcon, a hobbled Morgan, Hank, Davis, and an older less effective Moss. No chance.

Not to mention, I think Daniels, Griffin, Clemons, and Washington would be able to bring pressure on 3rd down, where, surprisingly, we were pretty bad in 12.

The 05 Redskins were a much more balanced team. They could throw it, run it, and play D. The 2012 Skins were carried by the brilliance of one guy(RG3). I think the 05 Skins D has the speed to contain RG3 with Arrington, Taylor, Springs, etc. And the 05 DL would demolish the 12 OL. Also the 12 D would have no chance at stopping an offense that featured a 1500 yard back, 1500 yard receiver, and 700 yard TE.

05 Redskins win, 20-13.

yeah i'd have to say the 2012 redskins would kick the **** out of the 2005 redskins. the read option was just so deadly in 2012 with a healthy RG3 and AlMo running the football.

What were you, 11 in 2005? No way you remember that team clearly.

i went to all the home games that season. it was a long time ago though, true. i don't remember the team really being all that much better than the 2012 team, but to be honest it was just my 1st season as a fan so i didn't really know much about football back then.

I was 11 in 1979 and I vividly remember us blowing the game against Dallass 35-34. Cut the kid some slack, it's not like he was 3. I remember watching the Skins at 8 years old and knowing who won and lost. I had a basic understanding if the game.

i went to all the home games that season. it was a long time ago though, true. i don't remember the team really being all that much better than the 2012 team, but to be honest it was just my 1st season as a fan so i didn't really know much about football back then.

Yeah, that team was probably the most physical team weve had since the 91 Redskins.

Even the teams that beat us, didnt do so without leaving a bit of themselves on the field. That team played with a ferocious swagger and sense of togetherness not seen since... Even in 2012.

We also had one of the better offensive lines in football.

No way the 2012 Skins beat 2005 Skins. I dont think they beat the `99 Skins either

I was 11 in 1979 and I vividly remember us blowing the game against Dallass 35-34. Cut the kid some slack, it's not like he was 3. I remember watching the Skins at 8 years old and knowing who won and lost. I had a basic understanding if the game.

My point was that the vast majority of 11 year olds don't have the football knowledge to make the kind of authoritative statement that he just made. Which he admitted.

My point was that the vast majority of 11 year olds don't have the football knowledge to make the kind of authoritative statement that he just made. Which he admitted.

It must run in my family. My great nephew is 11 and he texted me few weeks ago when Haz was fired and asked who I like for DC.

He then sent me another text asking me if I liked our new GM.

There's a difference in "football knowledge" at that age and not "vividly remembering" which is what you said. Like I said, I could remember a lot of things about the 1979 team and the games/rules, but I didn't know the difference in the 3-4 vs a 4-3 or a I-formation vs a T-formation. But I could follow the game play for play and knew what was going on.

Stop letting these guys run all over you in here. Give yourself more credit for knowing football, even at age 11. I was keeping stats on all sports in a notebook since the age of about 8.

Archived