Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HP: Here Is The Most Disproportionately Popular Cuisine In Each State

China

Here Is The Most Disproportionately Popular Cuisine In Each State

When most people think American cuisine, they think pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers.

While these are indeed staples across the country, every state has its own sense of flavor. Now, thanks to a collaboration between The Huffington Post and Yelp, we can see exactly what types of cuisine are most likely to appear in each state.

You may not be surprised to learn that Maine is crazy about seafood. But would you have guessed that Utah has a hankering for Hawaiian?

Yelp figured out which cuisines were most common in each state by examining restaurant listings on its site. The review service uses information pulled by third-party data providers from public records and other sources in order to create its online restaurant listings, according to its website.

Check out the map below by HuffPost's Alissa Scheller, using data provided by Yelp, to find out which cuisines are most popular in each state. Below the map is a list of the top five cuisines in each state:

YelpMap.png

Click on the link for the full article

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Indiana and Iowa get the awards for most boring food choices:

Indiana

1. Pizza -- 43 percent higher than national average.
  2. Tex-Mex -- 38 percent higher than national average.
  3. Fast food -- 37 percent higher than national average.
  4. Steak -- 30 percent higher than national average.
  5. Burgers -- 29 percent higher than national average.
Iowa
  1. Buffets -- 127 percent higher than national average.
  2. Pizza -- 64 percent higher than national average.
  3. Steak -- 21 percent higher than national average.
  4. Traditional American -- 7 percent higher than national average.
  5. Fast food -- 5 percent higher than national average.

Interesting map. It's important to note that it represents the most disproportionally popular restaurant cuisine in each state, not the most popular restaurant cuisine.

That said, c'mon West Virginia... hot dogs?

Edit: here's the explanation:

To get the data for the map, Yelp first calculated the percentage of total restaurants each cuisine represented in a given state. Then, it compared each percentage with the cuisine's representation in restaurants nationwide. The resulting map, made by HuffPost, shows the cuisines with a disproportionate level of representation in each state.

ok living in San Diego I am not even sure I saw a Taiwanese restaurant.

When I lived in VA, I NEVER saw or went to a Peruvian restaurant.

Being from Kansas...BBQ is not the meal of the day. There are good restaurants, but BBQ is not king.

It's official.  People from Colorado are wussies.

Am I the only one who thinks a gastropub is a place to drink beer and be flatulent?

I feel sorry for the poor people of Delaware.

I should be offended by this, but it's true. Irish cuisine (or British, for that matter) is really nothing to write home about.

ok living in San Diego I am not even sure I saw a Taiwanese restaurant.

When I lived in VA, I NEVER saw or went to a Peruvian restaurant.

Being from Kansas...BBQ is not the meal of the day. There are good restaurants, but BBQ is not king.

California and Virginia are big states.   San Diego is very nice in some ways, but it's not particularly representative of California, especially in food (although the Mexican food there is great).  There are less than 3 percent Chinese people in San Diego.  LA County and the Bay Area both are packed with Chinese people and Taiwanese restaurants.  (try the xiao long bao if you can find a place that makes good ones)  

Meanwhile, Fairfax County VA has one of the largest Peruvian enclaves in the US, behind only NYC, South Florida and LA County.  

Remember, you don't need a lot of Peruvian restaurants to make the list.  Just a disproportionate amount compared to all the other states.  

I should be offended by this, but it's true. Irish cuisine (or British, for that matter) is really nothing to write home about.

I'm of Irish descent.   Boiled and bland is the best way to describe that dreck.  

Peruvian chicken restaurants are all over the place in Northern Virginia.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/peruvian+chicken/@38.8639297,-77.3039971,11z

As soon as I saw Peruvian I knew they meant Peruvian chicken places. Many of them are entirely undecorated hole-in-the-wall dives and at lunch time have huge lines. They don't care what conventional wisdom says about how to open a restaurant, they just call themselves something "pollo" and let the chicken bring in the money.

Soon someone will open "Super Pho King Pollo" and dominate both favorite lunch time choices.

As soon as I saw Peruvian I knew they meant Peruvian chicken places. Many of them are entirely undecorated hole-in-the-wall dives and at lunch time have huge lines. They don't care what conventional wisdom says about how to open a restaurant, they just call themselves something "pollo" and let the chicken bring in the money.

Soon someone will open "Super Pho King Pollo" and dominate both favorite lunch time choices.

Oh, those places are Peruvian? I assumed they were Mexican or something.

I'm surprised Pho wasn't the top cuisine for Virginia given all the Pho restaurants in NoVa. Also surprised the top cuisine for Florida wasn't "Waffle House."

Oh, those places are Peruvian? I assumed they were Mexican or something.

the chicken king (Rey de Pollo) here is Mexican(good stuff, maybe a stolen Peruvian recipe :P ),Chinese is pretty well represented.

I love peruvian chicken, and there are like 5 places within 15 mins of me.  Two just opened up in one shopping Center a few minutes away.

Theres gonna be some chicken wars, cant wait to eat the winner.

Im glad to see Illinois holding down pakistani, thats one of my other favorites. I Lucky enough to live near the best Pakistani place I have ever eaten.   Kabob N Karahi

Archived