Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking to our Past: What 2 Famous Skins would you want blocking in front of you?

Veretax

So I was thinking just now, that there's always whining about how bad X or Y position is, or some think our OL needs to be able to block for 15 seconds to be actually good.  So how about we go back into the way back machine.  Who are the best Skins blockers of all time?

If you were a person with the ball in hand for the Redskins, what 2 Redskins (from anywhere in time) would you most want in front of you blocking on the most important play of the season?

I was thinking if it were  me, I'd want Russ Grim and then I'm torn between Jim Lachey and Joe Jacoby.

Who would you guys have picked? Have some fun with it.

So  some think our OL needs to be able to block for 15 seconds to be actually good.  .

Who would you guys have picked? Have some fun with it.

Before I get to the thread itself, I just want to complain about this bit. It's not that I think our Oline needs to be able to block for 15 seconds.  I want our line to be able to sustain their blocks on average for three Mississippis.  Far too often, perhaps even the majority of passing downs, I saw our line not do that.  In fact frequently, our line broke at "one" not One Mississippi, but just "one"  We don't even get to the first Mississippi.

That said, I like your choices.  Grimm and Lachey would probably be top. To go a little outside the box, I might go with Tre Johnson and Samuels, but who I really would like is Long... just to force our coaches to put him on the field.  What does it take to sit a player who's been pathetic for 16 games! 

Jim Lachey at LT and Joe Jacoby at LG, followed very closely by Russ Grimm.

We came close to setting a (then) NFL record (maybe we broke it, I don't remember) of the least QB sacks allowed the year the Redskins won their last Super Bowl (1991) (I think we were in single-digit numbers going into the last game of the regular season against Philly), with Lachey and Jacoby on the left side.

I can still remember one game against the Raiders (late '80's) when Mark Rypien threw an INT and Lachey absolutely hammered the guy who intercepted it.  When he came to his partial senses (and onto some very wobbly feet) after being down on the ground for several minutes, the player had a dazed and confused look on his face which would have immediately triggered the concussion rule (had there been one back then).

Grimm and Big Jake. Left side going right steamrollering all before them downfield. 

Counter Trey Baby!

Hail. 

Yep, that's it.

BTW - What a remarkable group of Left Tackles this franchise has had, when you think about.

The Rook :)

Archived