Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

Dinner tonight:

Red wind (edit: wine) braised short ribs with petite yellow potatoes and baby carrots. This was a first for me and a hit with the family.

37912455811_9bb88bc4cc_b.jpg

 

This one I made awhile ago: yeah pasta and fish probaby an unorthodox meal but it was good.

Bourbon and ginger glazed trout with my favorite dish to make; creamy shrimp spinach alfredo. I’ve made this several times and it’s a family favorite and uber easy to make.

37912574781_fcde5bbece_b.jpg

 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Grilled halibut with creamed grits and fried pumpkin and apples for my wife's birthday last night.  Southern and fall flavors.  The pumpkin was a cushaw we got from a local grower.  That was a first for me.  I fried the crook neck and turned the base into purée that I froze for thanksgiving.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Dinner tonight:

Red wind braised short ribs with petite yellow potatoes and baby carrots. 

Looks good!

 

is there a certain mph that is better to sit them out in?   Guessing it's be better with high gusts so the marinade gets pushed through more?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steve09ru said:

Looks good!

 

is there a certain mph that is better to sit them out in?   Guessing it's be better with high gusts so the marinade gets pushed through more?

LoL!!!! I never had these problems until I started posting primarily from my phone!

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Grilled halibut with creamed grits and fried pumpkin and apples for my wife's birthday last night.  Southern and fall flavors.  The pumpkin was a cushaw we got from a local grower.  That was a first for me.  I fried the crook neck and turned the base into purée that I froze for thanksgiving.

Pics or it didn’t happen. LoL

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Grilled halibut with creamed grits and fried pumpkin and apples for my wife's birthday last night.  Southern and fall flavors.  The pumpkin was a cushaw we got from a local grower.  That was a first for me.  I fried the crook neck and turned the base into purée that I froze for thanksgiving.

How much are you paying for Halibut in your neck of the woods?  Here in Baltimore metro area,  it's crazy expensive,  even at Costco

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I made cheese grits and scrambled eggs for brunch today. One of my favorite breakfasts. 

 

Out of orange juice, so a couple of orange Emergen C packets. Fighting a cold too. 

Sorry, girl.  Feel better soon.  You had a great breakfast, tho! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

How much are you paying for Halibut in your neck of the woods?  Here in Baltimore metro area,  it's crazy expensive,  even at Costco

 

I didn't buy this one, my father in law did.  But it's really expensive here in Norfolk too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally had time to get to the smoke I got for Christmas... a charbroil electric. Never smoked before but have done baby back ribs twice now and both times worked very well. Love the Smokey flavor...  was pretty easy to do just time consuming.

Any suggestions?

i want to try several things... including seafood.

i have a big pork shoulder in the fridge for the weekend... hard or easy or..?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love smoked turkey. I also know folks who smoke full bologna loafs. Chicken wings and thighs are awesome too.

 

Smoked pork butt should be pretty straight forward, it will be time consuming. Best results on a full sized shoulder is a 12 hour smoke. Low & Slow allows for smoke penetration and fat rendering. You can smoke faster with higher heat but it can have mixed results like tougher meat that isn’t fully rendered.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, USS Redskins said:

I finally had time to get to the smoke I got for Christmas... a charbroil electric. Never smoked before but have done baby back ribs twice now and both times worked very well. Love the Smokey flavor...  was pretty easy to do just time consuming.

Any suggestions?

i want to try several things... including seafood.

i have a big pork shoulder in the fridge for the weekend... hard or easy or..?

 

Easy. Pork shoulders are very forgiving. 

Keep temp ~225°-275°, or somewhere in between.  Use your favorite rub.

Take the shoulder up to around 190, and check for probe tender meat. Wrap in foil and rest in a cooler for an hour.

My concern, when reading your post is "big" shoulder. Not sure what you mean by "big", but if it's more than 5lbs, that thing can take forever.  I'm talking 14+ hrs.

My advice is to cut it into smaller roasts. I seldom go over 4 lbs. When feeding a crowd, I buy a larger shoulder, and cut it in half.  

There is no set time, it's done when it's done. Every piece of meat is different,  when a probe slides in and out like butter, it's done.  Wrapping and resting is very, very important.  And be patient!

Good luck!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You can smoke faster with higher heat but it can have mixed results like tougher meat that isn’t fully rendered.

 

It also dries it out. The biggest issue I've faced with smoking shoulder is The Stall. The shoulder will essentially stop cooking, the internal temperature will slowly increase by just a few degrees an hour. Wrapping it in foil when this happens will save you an hour or two. I usually can do a 7 lb, bone in shoulder in 10 hrs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to echo everything that @Skinsfan1311 and @Riggo#44 just said. Most importantly about “when it’s done it’s done.” Cook to temperature NOT time. When we cook on the rig we’re around 240 but not every piece of shoulder will be ready at the same time. We run a carrousel which helps a lot, every piece of meat is different. Have a good instant read probe and pull when it’s done not when the timer goes off. Shoulders and briskets take time, don’t rush them...especially the brisket unless you want shoe leather. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I deal with the stall by taking the shoulder off the smoker, wrapping tightly in foil and finishing for a couple hours in the oven.  It's plenty smoky after 8 hours and that way you don't have to fight with it.  Comes out perfect every time. Doing one Saturday for the Sunday's game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing more stressful than 175deg showing on the thermometer at 2pm with people coming over for a 4pm game.  I used to try and do a large (~10-12#) butt at 225, but it would take 20+ hours on BGE if I didn't wrap it.  Now I aim for 240-250, put it on at around 9-10pm, wrap it in foil (with a little apple juice) in the morning and once it reaches 190+, I pull it, wrap in another layer of foil and several towels and quickly put in a cooler.   Will stay very warm for hours and is ready to shred for dinner.  So much less stress.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I deal with the stall by taking the shoulder off the smoker, wrapping tightly in foil and finishing for a couple hours in the oven.  It's plenty smoky after 8 hours and that way you don't have to fight with it.  Comes out perfect every time. Doing one Saturday for the Sunday's game.

Good call. 

 

Any smoke flavor will have been absorbed in the first hour, or so, of cooking.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Easy. Pork shoulders are very forgiving. 

Keep temp ~225°-275°, or somewhere in between.  Use your favorite rub.

Take the shoulder up to around 190, and check for probe tender meat. Wrap in foil and rest in a cooler for an hour.

My concern, when reading your post is "big" shoulder. Not sure what you mean by "big", but if it's more than 5lbs, that thing can take forever.  I'm talking 14+ hrs.

My advice is to cut it into smaller roasts. I seldom go over 4 lbs. When feeding a crowd, I buy a larger shoulder, and cut it in half.  

There is no set time, it's done when it's done. Every piece of meat is different,  when a probe slides in and out like butter, it's done.  Wrapping and resting is very, very important.  And be patient!

Good luck!

 

Excellent... thanks dude!

 

its 3lbs, so thanks for advice! I def. don’t have patience for 14 hrs.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, USS Redskins said:

 

Excellent... thanks dude!

 

its 3lbs, so thanks for advice! I def. don’t have patience for 14 hrs.

 

No problem.

Resting for an hour is key. When it's done, wrap it tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil and rest it.

 Google "faux cambro" , which is basically a cooler with a couple of towels in it.  I pour a couple gallons of hot water in it first to preheat it, dump the water, toss is an old towel, then the wrapped meat, and another towel. Keep the temp probe in the meat. It'll stay piping hot for hours and, as long as the temp remains above 140°, it's safe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...