steve09ru

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

2 hours ago, visionary said:

I used to mix old bay with tarter sauce for fish and I think it's pretty good with butter on wings.

Try a honey & Old Bay mix on wings. Killer...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Try a honey & Old Bay mix on wings. Killer...

I made a concoction of old bay and a little brown sugar, tossed the wings in that, and drizzled with Mike’s hot honey and butter.  So good.

• Like 6

Update on my dry rub mix for ribs after thinking about it overnight. I like the mix, however, I put too much on and it was a bit bitter. The bbq sauce was sweeter and that saved them. Would have been disastrous without bbq sauce. So will use again, just not as much and actually rub it in instead of packing it on.

• Like 1

I noticed the chuck roast I cooked yesterday was bought on April 11th for $5.99/lb. I looked up the price today at Kroger and it's now $6.99/lb. Walmart is $6.96/lb Yeah, $7/lb for a chuck roast! Same price for eye of round & London broil. smdh

Gonna need another stimulus check! 

• Like 2

Grilled a piece of swordfish last night.  Marinated for an hour in lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, rosemary,  garlic powder, salt & pepper.

20200526_202320.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Grilled a piece of swordfish last night.  Marinated for an hour in lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, rosemary,  garlic powder, salt & pepper.

An hour in lemon juice that baby was already cooked before you cooked it.  Not that that's a problem. Looks delicious.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

I had heard pizza was very good on the grill.  To try it out I bought a Red Barron frozen cheese pizza.  I gotta say it was pretty damn good.  On the grill I would take it over the chain delivery places.  You just get your grill to out 500 degrees dump the pizza on it then turn heat to medium. Let it cook about 8 minutes, spin it half a turn, let it cook about 7 more minutes,  and it's done.  I'll be doing this a lot for a quick after work meal.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KAOSkins said:

An hour in lemon juice that baby was already cooked before you cooked it.  Not that that's a problem. Looks delicious.

Nope!

It was only a TBS and diluted with olive oil and spices. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nope!

It was only a TBS and diluted with olive oil and spices. 

FWIW I find zest to be an addition that adds the citrus flavor to seafood much more effectively than juice, unless I'm making ceviche.  Even a teaspoon is gonna have those enzymes working. It doesn't get diluted with oil because it's water based and an hour is a long time for fish.  Yes, I can be a chemistry geek cook sometimes.  I also don't advise you lightly cause you know your ****.  You should experiment and see the difference.  Subtle but for the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I refuse to watch that. Although I bet it is great. Hahaha. Touche. 

Good to know that you are still doing your thing. Sorry to mess up your cover. 

• Haha 1

Has anyone tried the HexClad pots/pans? Just wondering if they're as good as advertised....sounds pretty interesting, especially since I've been cooking so much at home lately and my non-stick pans are starting to fall apart

5 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Has anyone tried the HexClad pots/pans? Just wondering if they're as good as advertised....sounds pretty interesting, especially since I've been cooking so much at home lately and my non-stick pans are starting to fall apart

Costco had a deal that was enticing last month, but just couldn't pull the trigger.  They look better than the pans we currently have, but our current pans aren't that bad either.  If I had to replace them, I'd definitely look into it.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Costco had a deal that was enticing last month, but just couldn't pull the trigger.  They look better than the pans we currently have, but our current pans aren't that bad either.  If I had to replace them, I'd definitely look into it.

That's exactly the deal I have my eye on right now :ols:

https://www.costco.com/hexclad-6-piece-saucepan-set.product.100526704.html

• Like 1

Smoked a whole chicken.  Just rubbed it with olive oil, salt, threw it in the smoker at 250 for 3 or so hours, and came out perfectly.

Now questioning why I haven’t done it before... super easy.  And The Meater was on point with temps, cooking estimated time and rest time.

2FCFA112-1306-465A-99F0-2BD0C66759A9.thumb.jpeg.a0477e5245479a82ca79788924260428.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Grilled chicken breast and corn on you guessed it...GrillGrates.  Avocado and  heirloom tomato salad with some store bought tortilla strips.  

That corn made my mouth water....

• Like 1

I used to visit this Peruvian restaurant in Miami that made the best ceviche. I don't think it's there anymore.

Posted (edited)

I feel like a salesman, but I promise that I’m not.  I’m just so impressed by these grill grates.  If only I had known about these as a novice griller a long time ago.  Even being better at grilling these days, I couldn’t get these kind of marks with the cast iron grates that came with the Genesis.

Honey mustard grilled chicken breasts for our ‘everything left in the crisper and produce basket’ salad later.  The dressing/marinade I made has 1/3 cup of honey in it.  I would have never tried these on my regular grates.  Not one flare up, just beautiful grill marks and juicy chicken breasts that are easy to dry out.

31C8D6AD-4788-4D82-A44A-CDBF2FF96CE8.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Smoked a whole chicken.  Just rubbed it with olive oil, salt, threw it in the smoker at 250 for 3 or so hours, and came out perfectly.

Now questioning why I haven’t done it before... super easy.  And The Meater was on point with temps, cooking estimated time and rest time.

That looks fantastic!

If you ever want a change of pace, you can get the same results, in much less time. Just crank the heat to 325° , skin side up and legs pointed towards the heat.  Pull it when the internal temp, in the breast, hits 160°   The skin will be crisp, and the meat juicy, tender and flavorful.  If crispier skin is desired stick it skin side down, over high heat, for a few minutes.

The beauty of the higher heat, is that it cooks in about an hour and is every bit as tender as a slow smoked  bird.  I won't bbq whole chicken any other way, except when I feel like breaking out a rotisserie, which is rarely.

I don't feel like trussing the bird, balancing the rotisserie, or the ensuing cleanup.

• Like 2