Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

9 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

For me it’s about storage, I don’t use them often enough to refrigerate and store, but with the fish juices etc that soak into them I can’t imagine them molding then reusing. 

You're correct there, from a bacterial stand point. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

Found out like an hour ago that I'm going to be manning the grill tonight because my wife's family is about to come here with a bunch of costillas and chicken lol.

Best of luck! Pics or it didn't happen, you know the rule! ?

Done.

Competition style. 

Memphis rub,  smoked 3 hrs, wrapped in foil w/butter, brown sugar, drizzle of honey, splash of apple juice,for 2 hours, removed from foil, lightly sauced and smoked for another hour.  

Beans are basic, mustard, brown sugar, catsup, chipotle Tabasco, a dash of the rub, sweated  some onions and garlic, added those in. Used sugar maple and smoked at 230° for 6 hrs....

20180715_193634.jpg

20180715_193416.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

That looks amazing @Skinsfan1311

How was it?

Did you get any pics of the interior with the pink?

Thanks!  They were good. 

I make them this way,(3-2-1 method), because that's how Mrs Skinsfan likes them.  You have to be careful, when foiling and use very little liquid, (I'm talking ~ 2oz per rack. Otherwise, you risk braising/steaming the ribs, which is akin to boiling the ribs, which is akin to terrorism.  

The foiling makes the tenderest fall off the bone ribs that you can imagine, which many people like, (I prefer more tug, when biting into a rib) When you pull them out of the foil,  you have to be careful,  or they will fall apart. I use gloves to handle them, not tongs. The last hour, unwrapped, firms them up, which gives you a little more tug.

One advantage of smoking this way is timing, they're done in 6 hrs, so it takes all of guess work out of the equation.

No pics, we were starving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!  They were good. 

I make them this way,(3-2-1 method), because that's how Mrs Skinsfan likes them.  You have to be careful, when foiling and use very little liquid, (I'm talking ~ 2oz per rack. Otherwise, you risk braising/steaming the ribs, which is akin to boiling the ribs, which is akin to terrorism.  

The foiling makes the tenderest fall off the bone ribs that you can imagine, which many people like, (I prefer more tug, when biting into a rib) When you pull them out of the foil,  you have to be careful,  or they will fall apart. I use gloves to handle them, not tongs. The last hour, unwrapped, firms them up, which gives you a little more tug.

One advantage of smoking this way is timing, they're done in 6 hrs, so it takes all of guess work out of the equation.

No pics, we were starving.

Have to admit Im surprised to see you doing the 321 method, i thought you were an amazingribs.com disciple. (I might have you confused but thought you quoted from the site quite a bit)

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/last-meal-ribs-recipe-best-barbecue-ribs-youve-ever-tasted

The Texas Crutch. This optional trick involves wrapping the slab in foil with about an ounce of water for up to an hour to speed cooking and tenderize a bit. Almost all competition cooks use the crutch to get an edge. But the improvement is really slight and I never bother for backyard cooking. If you crutch too long you can turn the meat to mush and time in foil can soften the bark and remove a lot of rub. I recommend it only for competition when the tiniest improvement can mean thousands of dollars. Skip it and you'll still have killer ribs. But if you've seen it on TV and must try it, click here to learn more about The Texas Crutch. The Crutch is it is baked into a popular technique called the 3-2-1 method which I do not recommend. Two hours in foil or butcher paper is far too long and can make the meat mushy. Try the Crutch after you master the basics.

i do it too though.  Try the johnny trig style with thai chili sauce and parkay.  Yes, parkay.  It is completely obscene

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, zoony said:

Have to admit Im surprised to see you doing the 321 method, i thought you were an amazingribs.com disciple. (I might have you confused but thought you quoted from the site quite a bit)

He always has the caveat that he uses the crutch because thats the way his wife prefers the ribs.  Gotta keep the wife happy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I fess to using the crutch anytime I'm smoking shoulders or briskets.  I don't do that 321 stuff tho.  After 8 hours (unless it's a really, really big piece of meat and then longer) it's smoked but is usually stuck in the unpredictable stall.  I wrap it and finish in the oven at 225 till it hits the high 190's.  Pull it, remove the foil and let it sit in the hot oven for a 10-15 minutes to dry the outside a bit.  Perfection in my humble opinion.  You can count on the timing and nothing is lost in the process so far as a I can figure out.  

Ribs and small stuff don't need it, unless your wife says so...

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 2

Yeah I put too much liquid in the foil once and destroyed the ribs using the 321 method :(

I learned if you put a little mayonnaise in your wing sauce you'll get really crispy wings. These were the best wings I'd made (in the oven...) so far, and there's still some work to do. Next recipe will be:

oven @ 425 

Wings in the oven for 30 minutes, turn once

Toss in sauce

Wings in the oven for 25 minutes, turn once

I did 40 minutes no turn, 25 minutes no turn, and they came out too crispy on one side and too wet on the other. So i'm adding a turn and backing down the time on the second step. 

I'm also considering turning in quarter increments each time.

The sauce I made was I took what i had left from Franks Red hot wing sauce and Sweet Baby J's wing sauce, added a whole jalepno, since minced garlic, and a scoop of mayonnaise. Pureed it all up. It was so ****ing delicious. Net time I need to add an additional jalapeno.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zoony said:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/last-meal-ribs-recipe-best-barbecue-ribs-youve-ever-tasted

The Texas Crutch. This optional trick involves wrapping the slab in foil with about an ounce of water for up to an hour to speed cooking and tenderize a bit. Almost all competition cooks use the crutch to get an edge. But the improvement is really slight and I never bother for backyard cooking. If you crutch too long you can turn the meat to mush and time in foil can soften the bark and remove a lot of rub. I recommend it only for competition when the tiniest improvement can mean thousands of dollars. Skip it and you'll still have killer ribs. But if you've seen it on TV and must try it, click here to learn more about The Texas Crutch. The Crutch is it is baked into a popular technique called the 3-2-1 method which I do not recommend. Two hours in foil or butcher paper is far too long and can make the meat mushy. Try the Crutch after you master the basics.

i do it too though.  Try the johnny trig style with thai chili sauce and parkay.  Yes, parkay.  It is completely obscene

Agreed and correct, I'm an Amazing Ribs zealot. Meathead is correct, and   I rarely foil anything, except veggies, ham, (which is basically just being reheated),larger briskets and only when a nice bark has formed. Trick with that is a very tight wrap and a well formed bark.You rest brisket for couple hours, so the good bark is a must.

I have it down pretty well,  so no mushy ribs but, if I had my druthers, I would not foil ribs.

It keeps the Missus happy. She also likes well done steak and pork ?

28 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

He always has the caveat that he uses the crutch because thats the way his wife prefers the ribs.  Gotta keep the wife happy!

Quoted for truth. Hey, at least she's a bourbon girl!

• Like 2

On 7/16/2018 at 10:29 AM, tshile said:

Yeah I put too much liquid in the foil once and destroyed the ribs using the 321 method :(

I learned if you put a little mayonnaise in your wing sauce you'll get really crispy wings. These were the best wings I'd made (in the oven...) so far, and there's still some work to do. Next recipe will be:

oven @ 425 

Wings in the oven for 30 minutes, turn once

Toss in sauce

Wings in the oven for 25 minutes, turn once

I did 40 minutes no turn, 25 minutes no turn, and they came out too crispy on one side and too wet on the other. So i'm adding a turn and backing down the time on the second step. 

I'm also considering turning in quarter increments each time.

The sauce I made was I took what i had left from Franks Red hot wing sauce and Sweet Baby J's wing sauce, added a whole jalepno, since minced garlic, and a scoop of mayonnaise. Pureed it all up. It was so ****ing delicious. Net time I need to add an additional jalapeno.

I've heard of people making their grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter for a similar effect.

3 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I've heard of people making their grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter for a similar effect.

Mayo, like butter, is a useful fat medium because it tastes good.

I don't really understand the chemistry involved, but fat mediums facilitate the Maillard reaction on the surface of various foods.  Caramelization is the result of amino acids reacting with sugars under fairly intense dry heat.  Mayo is a mix of proteins that are very rich in amino acids from the eggs and fat, and it also has a lot of sugar in it from sucrose and lactose and the acids used in the emulsion (vinegar/citrus).

Burnt mayo can taste really bad though.  If you've ever overcooked a crab cake before, you might know what flavor I'm talking about.

• Like 1

The salmon came out pretty good and it was pretty easy to cook by not really having to do much.  I don't really know what the cedar plank added as far as taste/aroma goes, it didn't seem to add much.  But the salmon was very juicy and moist.  The only upside I'd say this had over direct on the grate was that it was basically no maintenance - I just put it on and looked at my phone until it was around 130 degrees then took it off.  It definitely took longer than grilling directly on the grill too but again, no flipping or anything.  I think once I use my other plank I'll probably stick to just grilling directly on the grate.  I also used a different type of seasoning so it's hard to do a 1:1 comparison of the two methods.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The salmon came out pretty good and it was pretty easy to cook by not really having to do much.  I don't really know what the cedar plank added as far as taste/aroma goes, it didn't seem to add much.  But the salmon was very juicy and moist.  The only upside I'd say this had over direct on the grate was that it was basically no maintenance - I just put it on and looked at my phone until it was around 130 degrees then took it off.  It definitely took longer than grilling directly on the grill too but again, no flipping or anything.  I think once I use my other plank I'll probably stick to just grilling directly on the grate.  I also used a different type of seasoning so it's hard to do a 1:1 comparison of the two methods.

That's surprising.

Cedar smoke adds a good bit of flavor.  Did you heat the plank up first, or just plop it on the grill with the fish?

Ideally, you should heat the plank over medium heat, until it starts to lightly smoke, then flip it, and cook the fish. Omitting that step makes a big difference. Without preheating,  you'll still get some cedar, but nothing like you do when the plank is preheated.  

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That's surprising.

Cedar smoke adds a good bit of flavor.  Did you heat the plank up first, or just plop it on the grill with the fish?

Ideally, you should heat the plank over medium heat, until it starts to lightly smoke, then flip it, and cook the fish. Omitting that step makes a big difference. Without preheating,  you'll still get some cedar, but nothing like you do when the plank is preheated.  

I did preheat it for like 10 minutes when the grill was at 350 and I never saw any smoking from it.  I did then flip it and put the fish on it.

34 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I did preheat it for like 10 minutes when the grill was at 350 and I never saw any smoking from it.  I did then flip it and put the fish on it.

I suggest waiting until it smokes next time. Some people wait until they slightly char, (I don't). Makes a big difference. Keep a spray bottle handy too. I've caught them on fire before. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I suggest waiting until it smokes next time. Some people wait until they slightly char, (I don't). Makes a big difference. Keep a spray bottle handy too. I've caught them on fire before. 

I preheated for like 10-12 minutes.  It was barely charred at that point it seemed like when I flipped it over.

Need some help.

Really new to smoking in general, have only ever smoked wings (to be fried later) and 1 7lb. bone-in pork shoulder that turned out really well.  I walked into smoking that pork butt under the expectation that I was going to mess it up given how much I've read that can go wrong, but I ended up with great bark and juicy, delicious pork.  I use a Traeger that my uncle handed down to me when he got a big new smoking rig.

I've read that smoking a boneless pork shoulder is sacrilege.  But Aldi had boneless pork shoulders on sale for 1.49/lb last week and I picked up a 5lb'er for under 8 bucks.  I'm thinking how bad can it possibly be?  It's not for any special occasion other than I have the day off tomorrow and want to throw it on while I'm mowing grass and watching the Open Championship.  But I'd like to not eff it up.  It comes packaged, with string wrapped around it.  I'm wondering A. if I take the string off, will it just fall apart in the smoker? and B. is there anything special I need to think about when smoking a boneless pork shoulder vs. bone-in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I just couldn't pass up 5lb's of pork for less than 8 bucks!

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Need some help.

Really new to smoking in general, have only ever smoked wings (to be fried later) and 1 7lb. bone-in pork shoulder that turned out really well.  I walked into smoking that pork butt under the expectation that I was going to mess it up given how much I've read that can go wrong, but I ended up with great bark and juicy, delicious pork.  I use a Traeger that my uncle handed down to me when he got a big new smoking rig.

I've read that smoking a boneless pork shoulder is sacrilege.  But Aldi had boneless pork shoulders on sale for 1.49/lb last week and I picked up a 5lb'er for under 8 bucks.  I'm thinking how bad can it possibly be?  It's not for any special occasion other than I have the day off tomorrow and want to throw it on while I'm mowing grass and watching the Open Championship.  But I'd like to not eff it up.  It comes packaged, with string wrapped around it.  I'm wondering A. if I take the string off, will it just fall apart in the smoker? and B. is there anything special I need to think about when smoking a boneless pork shoulder vs. bone-in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I just couldn't pass up 5lb's of pork for less than 8 bucks!

Got a picture of it? That could help us.

Personally, at $8 I'd smoke it and give it a go. Who cares what the purists say, they can eat somewhere else.