steve09ru

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

 

Ordered a cold smoker attachment for my Masterbuilt last week, gets here Tue.  Looking forward to smoking up the trout from my last fishing trip as my first project with it.  Should be interesting.  

 

Nice ribs ASF, I concur with Mary, that's not how I pictured you.  I had you as more of a Ned Flanders with a scowl.  :cheers: /jk

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hersh said:

@AsburySkinsFan what temp did you cook them at?

 

awesome work. 

About 240 all day, I took them up to 180, they weren’t fall off the bone, but still tender and juicy.

 

QUESTION: For those using a Gensis II, are you guys smoking on it. Mine looks to be able to hold temp at 225, but my wood chip box doesn’t get hot enough to smoke sitting on the grates. I had a single burner running, chips in a box directly over the lit burner. But they didn’t start smoking until I wrapped and cranked the heat up.

54 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

@AsburySkinsFan...dude.

Sun tea is the absolute best, my Memaw's cannot be duplicated, I've tried. Mine's good, but not hers. ?

And you look nothing like I imagined. ?

I LOVE sun tea! 10 large bags in two gallons...all day in the sun, by dinner time...YUMM

LoL! No body ever looks like I imagine.

23 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

 

Nice ribs ASF, I concur with Mary, that's not how I pictured you.  I had you as more of a Ned Flanders with a scowl.  :cheers: /jk

LoL!! Trust me I used to have the Ned Flanders look, but I buried his ass in the back yard!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Finished product!

Slow cook all day BBQ baby-back ribs with some Central BBQ (Memphis) rub and a vinegar based sauce. Left the ribs smokey, spicy and tangy! Now I have left overs!! These were a cross between 17th Street BBQ (Illinois) and Central BBQ.

 

43218802502_a775f3274a_b.jpg

 

42364242495_c6e472ec97_b.jpg

 

43218802252_32b3e623be_b.jpg

 

Looks great!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did stuffed baby Bellas, fresh zukes and Hebrew National 1/4 lbs on the grill tonight.

 

Little Grateful Dead on the Bluetooth...

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So tomorrow is my wife's birthday and she has requested salmon for her birthday dinner.  I'm looking for people's favorite salmon on the grill recipes as far as seasoning and stuff goes.  Also, do you recommend cooking salmon directly on the grill or wrapped in foil?  I have done both with my older grill and definitely preferred the taste of right on the grill, however most of the skin would be stuck and was a pain to try and get off intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, purbeast said:

So tomorrow is my wife's birthday and she has requested salmon for her birthday dinner.  I'm looking for people's favorite salmon on the grill recipes as far as seasoning and stuff goes.  Also, do you recommend cooking salmon directly on the grill or wrapped in foil?  I have done both with my older grill and definitely preferred the taste of right on the grill, however most of the skin would be stuck and was a pain to try and get off intact.

Cedar Plank salmon is pretty good,  Skinsfan1311 is pretty good at cooking it, I’d get tips from him.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Cedar Plank salmon is pretty good,  Skinsfan1311 is pretty good at cooking it, I’d get tips from him.  

I don't have one of those.  I have a recipe I'm going to try tomorrow though and just throw on the grill like I've done before and hope for the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta be careful grilling any fish on the grates. They all love to stick then fall apart. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I don't have one of those.  I have a recipe I'm going to try tomorrow though and just throw on the grill like I've done before and hope for the best!

 

You can grab one of these at Walmart for a few bucks.  The fish will come out better if you do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah planks are pretty widely available at places like Home Depot in the grill section too.

 

My dad and I did it on aluminum foil for a long time, which works well enough.  He eventually bought this reusable mat that's some kind of copper weave so it conducts heat well and then rolls up for storage once you're finished.  It's thicker and stronger than foil so it won't crinkle or tear while you're trying to get the fish up.  Something like this: http://a.co/fSUK06N

 

Grilling fish right on the grate can be a headache as HOF said.

Edited by dfitzo53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I’ll go ahead and join the chorus, cedar planks all the way when grilling fish. They’re disposable, I use my old ones for kindling in the firepit. I don’t flip mine on the cedar.

 

When doing salmon I like a simple terriaki/ginger sauce that I add some bourbon to then reduce down so it’s thicker. 

 

MARINADE

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce 
  • 2 cloves garlic 
  • 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated 
  • Freshly cracked pepper 
  • 1 Tbsp cooking oil 

 

I prefer honey to brown sugar, just make sure to heat it up so it stirs in better. If you want to kick it up, use some bourbon too. I marinade in ziplock bags for a couple hours. Saving some to reduce for the glaze.

 

Once ready to plate sprinkle some chives or sliced green onions and maybe some sesame seeds.

 

Hmmmmmmm....as a matter of fact I just figured out what I’m cooking for dinner tonight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I think I’ll go ahead and join the chorus, cedar planks all the way when grilling fish. They’re disposable, I use my old ones for kindling in the firepit. I don’t flip mine on the cedar.

 

When doing salmon I like a simple terriaki/ginger sauce that I add some bourbon to then reduce down so it’s thicker. 

 

MARINADE

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce 
  • 2 cloves garlic 
  • 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated 
  • Freshly cracked pepper 
  • 1 Tbsp cooking oil 

 

I prefer honey to brown sugar, just make sure to heat it up so it stirs in better. If you want to kick it up, use some bourbon too. I marinade in ziplock bags for a couple hours. Saving some to reduce for the glaze.

 

Once ready to plate sprinkle some chives or sliced green onions and maybe some sesame seeds.

 

Hmmmmmmm....as a matter of fact I just figured out what I’m cooking for dinner tonight.

Sounds great!

@purbeastTeriyaki pairs very well with salmon,  as does Yoshida sauce.

With seafood, I usually keep it simple, so the flavor of the food shines. I'm careful with marinades, because they can overwhelm if you overdo it. 

For Cedar-planked salmon, I use a basic rub, with a couple of Tbs of brown sugar, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of ancho chili powder, 1 tsp each of coarse salt and and cracked pepper.

After I soak the plank, I drizzle a little olive oil, (the cheap stuff), on the plank and cook it skin side down without turning.  After it's done, (I use an instant read thermometer and pull it off at 125° in the thickest part of the fish). Carryover will take it to 130°, which is perfect. If you want it slightly more done, pull at 130° and it will be medium, which is as high as you can take it without overcooking and drying it out.  I drizzle a little honey on it, while tests, (~ 5 minutes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the tips.  I was looking at a recipe that called for soy sauce, brown sugar, oil (was going to use olive oil), and water.  And that was after you put some lemon pepper, garlic, and salt on the salmon before putting into marinade.  I was going to try that.  I plan on getting home around 4pm today and was going to start preparing the marinade and put the salmon in it until around 7.  Is that too long to marinade salmon?

 

As for the cedar planks, what is the actual benefit of that over putting right on the grill?  Is it just basically to save the skin from getting stuck and ruined?  When using a cedar plank does the skin come out crispy?  That is one of the best parts about putting it directly on the grill.

 

Also, what temperature do you put the grill to when cooking salmon?  Every recipe I've seen says "medium" but that could mean a lot of different temps.  One I saw did say 350 though so maybe that's considered "medium"?  The midpoint on the thermometer on my grill is 425 so that would be "medium" in my eyes lol.

Edited by purbeast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@purbeast the main benefit to the cedar plank is being able to keep the fish in one piece, it can add some smoke but not much. 

 

Medium heat on the grill IMO is going to be closer to 350. 

 

As for your marinade, long soaks with strong marinade on fish can really blow the fish away. It sounds like going soy, brown sugar, lemon pepper, is going to get REALLY confusing on your tongue. Go one way or the other. And just let those flavors be. If you want some citrus with your soy thrn use ginger. It is a natural fit with Asian cooking and it tastes lemony.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the cold smoker attachment on the right.  Holds a LOT more wood than the little tray inside the smoker.  I likey! Also provides much better control over the temp of the smoker box.  Got some beef ribs in there right now.  Saving the fish for some other time.  

IMG_20180712_084657.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Thanks for the tips.  I was looking at a recipe that called for soy sauce, brown sugar, oil (was going to use olive oil), and water.  And that was after you put some lemon pepper, garlic, and salt on the salmon before putting into marinade.  I was going to try that.  I plan on getting home around 4pm today and was going to start preparing the marinade and put the salmon in it until around 7.  Is that too long to marinade salmon?

 

As for the cedar planks, what is the actual benefit of that over putting right on the grill?  Is it just basically to save the skin from getting stuck and ruined?  When using a cedar plank does the skin come out crispy?  That is one of the best parts about putting it directly on the grill.

 

Also, what temperature do you put the grill to when cooking salmon?  Every recipe I've seen says "medium" but that could mean a lot of different temps.  One I saw did say 350 though so maybe that's considered "medium"?  The midpoint on the thermometer on my grill is 425 so that would be "medium" in my eyes lol.

Cedar adds a distinct flavor to the fish. It's very aromatic and delicious.  It doesn't lend itself to crispy skin. If you cook it long enough to crisp the skin, (on a plank), you will have overcooked the fish. 350° is a good temp.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

@purbeast the main benefit to the cedar plank is being able to keep the fish in one piece, it can add some smoke but not much. 

 

Medium heat on the grill IMO is going to be closer to 350. 

 

As for your marinade, long soaks with strong marinade on fish can really blow the fish away. It sounds like going soy, brown sugar, lemon pepper, is going to get REALLY confusing on your tongue. Go one way or the other. And just let those flavors be. If you want some citrus with your soy thrn use ginger. It is a natural fit with Asian cooking and it tastes lemony.

This is the recipe I was talking about which has a lot of good feedback.

 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12720/grilled-salmon-i/

 

I also just ran to Lowes and got some cedar planks so I may try that out.  I'm going to just ask my wife if she wants me to do it directly on the grill or on the plank, but I'm leaning towards the plank after doing a little bit more research.  It also seems easier since you're basically baking it at 350 as oppose to trying to get the skin hot/crispy and risking it falling apart as you mention.  I also plan to use the iGrill thermometer to make sure that I do not overcook it.

 

@skinsfan1311 thanks for your reply as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a fish basket I use to grill salmon.  It takes a bit of care to remove the fish from the basket in one piece, but you can do it in the kitchen and there's no risk of loss to the fire.  I love crispy salmon skin.  If you don't the plank is the way to go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KAOSkins said:

I have a fish basket I use to grill salmon.  It takes a bit of care to remove the fish from the basket in one piece, but you can do it in the kitchen and there's no risk of loss to the fire.  I love crispy salmon skin.  If you don't the plank is the way to go.

I think if I was set on crispy skin, Id go the cast iron skillet route.  Put one of those on the grill get it screaming hot and crisp the skin, the cook indirect until desired temp was reached.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would work well.  I do like flipping it briefly to char the top a little and basket makes that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my old grill I have made some salmon where it goes directly onto the grates and I kept it all intact so I'm hoping if I go that route that it will turn out okay lol.  Still waiting to hear back on what the wife prefers.  I also did flip it when doing it that way.  

 

I personally am not a fan of eating the skin but if it's crispy I will have some of it, but when it's soggy, not a chance, so the worst case is the skin is ruined that I wouldn't have really eaten anyways lol.

 

But I do like possibly going the route on the plank and not flipping it, and that way I can cook it with some sliced onions on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

On my old grill I have made some salmon where it goes directly onto the grates and I kept it all intact so I'm hoping if I go that route that it will turn out okay lol.  Still waiting to hear back on what the wife prefers.  I also did flip it when doing it that way.  

 

I personally am not a fan of eating the skin but if it's crispy I will have some of it, but when it's soggy, not a chance, so the worst case is the skin is ruined that I wouldn't have really eaten anyways lol.

 

But I do like possibly going the route on the plank and not flipping it, and that way I can cook it with some sliced onions on it.

Slice them paper thin, because salmon cooks pretty fast and the onions may not be cooked enough. I suggest thin sliced lemon.  If you must have onion, slice it a little thicker and toss it on the grill, before you start the salmon. It will cook through and get that great cedar smoke flavor. Just a suggestion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use planks, make sure to give them a good soak first.  Otherwise they'll, you know, ignite.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife made the executive decision that she wants it skin side down on the grill lol so I will let you all know how they turn out!  I just prepared the marinade so we'll see how it goes.  I think I'm going to use the iGrill with these though so that I know when to take them off.  When doing directly on the grill everything I read said to have it 'med-high' so I think I'll get it up to like 425 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you use planks, make sure to give them a good soak first.  Otherwise they'll, you know, ignite.  

Not necessarily.

I don't soak mine, they get a little charred but I've never had them burn up. I keep the lid down which usually is enough to keep the flames off.

If you cook over direct heat I imagine they'll get hot enough, but I cook indirect, I may have a corner or two that gets black but that's it.

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Wife made the executive decision that she wants it skin side down on the grill lol so I will let you all know how they turn out!  I just prepared the marinade so we'll see how it goes.  I think I'm going to use the iGrill with these though so that I know when to take them off.  When doing directly on the grill everything I read said to have it 'med-high' so I think I'll get it up to like 425 or so.

Yup, you need the heat to cook the skin crisp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.