Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Not true. Carolina vinegar sauce is BBQ sauce. Ya'll just snobs.

Vinegar based is totally cool.  But if it has the consistency of ketchup, we're going to have a misunderstanding.

My dad's side of the family is from NC, so I grew up on Carolina BBQ.

Vinegar is for cleaning things not for eating. You Carolina sauce boys are crazy.

Having a few friends over for July 4. Not sure what to make yet....

Thinking about these burgers:

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3871/8468/original.jpg]

Well those look pretty incredible. What's the method for cooking them? Looks like they can't be flipped. Slow n sear, periodically taking them on and off the direct heat?

Now we're just digging into personal preference. Choosing your favorite style of BBQ or sauce is something I'd compare more to choosing a favorite craft beer. For the most part overall, it's all really good. Just a matter of finding a favorite. The only true sauce sacrilege is putting A1 on a well cooked nice cut of steak.

In this case in particular, I would blend some apple cider vinegar, apple juice, and some of the same seasonings used on the pork itself. Maybe make a mixture of a cup or two and heat it over very low heat long enough to get it back up over proper temp and serve it with some slaw and options for sauce should folks enjoy that. I would only agree to the crock pot idea if you have the ability to control the temp.

Any suggestions on good reheat method for a lot of pulled pork, without causing it to dry out?

Got a bunch of people coming over this weekend, and making pulled pork and brisket. But I don't have enough grid space to have both on there at the same time, so I figure I'll cook and pull the pork the day before, refrigerate and reheat. But I've never reheated 5-6 lbs of meat at once. I was thinking about mixing in some bbq sauce and putting it in the crockpot on the lowest setting

Ive done this a bunch of times. Pork shoulder has so much fat that reheating is pretty easy.

If it is already pulled, just toss it in the oven at under 300° until it is hot to eat. I'd put a couple tablespoons of bbq sauce in there with it or just spray with apple juice every so often, but you dont have to.

Pork shoulder is very forgiving. Easy to cook (temp wise), reheats well, and freezes well.

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Like 1

Vinegar is for cleaning things not for eating. You Carolina sauce boys are crazy.

Vinegar based bbq sauce is the most popular in the Carolinas, but technically, all forms are present.  I prefer tomato based but do enjoy the vinegar based ones.  

Like JP said, it's like beer.  There are some vinegar based and tomato based bbq sauces I can't stand, some I love, etc.  I grew up in the tomato based region and now live in CLT which is still in that region, so there is that.  

carolinas2.gif

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/south_carolina_mustard_BBQ_sauce.html

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Having a few friends over for July 4. Not sure what to make yet....

Thinking about these burgers:

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I try to find the best quality meat possible do very little to it, some s&p then cook well.  All this stuff on meat just does not work for me unless I'm trying to hide some nasty meat. 

• Like 1

Vinegar based bbq sauce is the most popular in the Carolinas, but technically, all forms are present.  I prefer tomato based but do enjoy the vinegar based ones.  

Like JP said, it's like beer.  There are some vinegar based and tomato based bbq sauces I can't stand, some I love, etc.  I grew up in the tomato based region and now live in CLT which is still in that region, so there is that.  

carolinas2.gif

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/south_carolina_mustard_BBQ_sauce.html

One of the beauties of being from Va is not having to stake any kind of allegiance. We welcome it all. :)

I do tend to use mostly hickory in smoking and incorporate apples in some way or another pretty much any time I'm cooking pork of almost any kind though. Those things to tend to be Va staples.

• Like 1

Not surprising as I live close to Texas, but good vinegary red sauce is an integral part of bbq.   When it's stove hot you should get the vinegar fumes in the nose effect.  Not sweet and not picante but full of flavor about the consistency of V8.  

BBQ Texas style is one Texas thing I have to begrudgingly respect.   

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I try to find the best quality meat possible do very little to it, some s&p then cook well. All this stuff on meat just does not work for me unless I'm trying to hide some nasty meat.

That's the general rule of thumb but, when used correctly, sauces, toppings, etc, can accentuate the flavor of many foods.

Toppings are part of the fun, when it comes to burgers.

Unless it's Wagyu beef,(that was ground then formed on the thighs of virgins, during the harvest moon), there is only so much flavor that can be had in a burger. As long as it's decent 80/20, and cooked correctly, it should taste pretty good with S&P. Add some bacon, good cheddar and thick slices of Vidalia onion, then it tastes even better!

We all have our own preferences, but I sure as hell won't discriminate!  I'll eat it all.

I just like busting balls where applicable. :P

No doubt, I was thinking the exact same thing.  I might like Texas style the best but I'll eat any bbq, and any sauce (or lack of it with good smoked meat) if it's done well, I'll love it.  And I have tried pretty much every style.

ZGuy that's a really interesting approach to stuffed burgers so they don't end up all lopsided and/or leaky.  You just have to make sure you have it set up so that they can cook properly all on one side.

Neat idea though, if you try it post back and let us know how it turned out.

I used to be a NC vinegar man, and while I still love it, my favorite is now Carolina Gold mustard.

• Like 1

Think I'm going to cook my 3 lb smoked meatloaf on Sunday. I prefer it to hamburgers as I cook it slow, indirect at about 250 degrees. It turns out juicy on the inside - slather it with BBQ sauce for the last 20-30 minutes on the smoker. Slice, add sauteed onions, hot peppers, lettuce, tomato & a nice firm roll....

Having a small gathering over so doing this allows me to make other things, drink beer, & socialize. I don't need to hover over the grill cooking burgers. 

Anybody ever smoke burgers?  Thinking about mixing a little good balsamic into the burger and making patties. Then smoke at 225-250 until it gets near temp, then sear over high heat to finish. 

Anybody ever smoke burgers? Thinking about mixing a little good balsamic into the burger and making patties. Then smoke at 225-250 until it gets near temp, then sear over high heat to finish.

Hahaha that sounds awful

Though I am curious let us know :)

I love smoked meatloaf, but I don't think I'd cook a burger that way. Hard to see the best case scenario being "better" than a burger cooked faster over high heat as God intended.

I like to do thick burgers at 650 for.3 minutes, flip and immediately close all the vents, leave in there for 12 minutes (adding cheese for the last minute). Juicy and delicious

Edited by Bliz

My boss told me about "Cowboy burgers". He says he got some meatloaf blend from Nick's of Clinton, mixed in crumbled bacon and cheddar crumbles, seasoned with McCormick's Cowboy Rub, grilled and then blue cheese on top. Sounds delicious.

Anybody ever smoke burgers?  Thinking about mixing a little good balsamic into the burger and making patties. Then smoke at 225-250 until it gets near temp, then sear over high heat to finish. 

sure, I love them mixed with some pico....never tried balsamic,but a little apple cider never hurts

just put the brisket and porkloins on the pit, tomorrow will add the sausage.chicken and corn ect....maybe some fajitas,but it is hotter than hell so probably not

This humidity mixed with the heat from grill = brutal lol

Tossed on some chicken wings earlier, indirect cooking around 385-400 degrees, bout to turn them and let them cook for another 20 mins or so.  Tossed on some hickory wood blocks to get the nice smokey flavor.  Then will toss them in some BBQ sauce mixed with honey and some Dave's Insanity Sauce to get that hot honey BBQ flavor going.

Wife is going to toss some salmon on when I'm done.  What's everyone cooking up this weekend?

Edit: Just flipped the wings and they have that nice caramel color from the smoke.  Can't wait to eat these mugs.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

This humidity mixed with the heat from grill = brutal lol

Tossed on some chicken wings earlier, indirect cooking around 385-400 degrees, bout to turn them and let them cook for another 20 mins or so.  Tossed on some hickory wood blocks to get the nice smokey flavor.  Then will toss them in some BBQ sauce mixed with honey and some Dave's Insanity Sauce to get that hot honey BBQ flavor going.

Wife is going to toss some salmon on when I'm done.  What's everyone cooking up this weekend?

Edit: Just flipped the wings and they have that nice caramel color from the smoke.  Can't wait to eat these mugs.

Sounds good...I love wings on the grill. I've been buying the wings at Costco - one of those packs & some grilled veggies are perfect for a weekend meal for us. 

Rainy & overcast in RVA today. I had to move the deck umbrella down to the patio to protect my smoker. I have 2 3lb meatloaves on the smoker. Each one has 2lb ground beef & 1lb ground pork. Mixed in eggs, panko bread crumbs, Lipton onion soup mix, sauted onions, Korean bbq sauce. Been on the smoker since ~12:45pm with the temp about 260. Meat is at 150 right now so it's time to go out & add some sauce on top for the last 20-30 minutes. I'll take them off at 165...

Edit: the good news weather wise is it's only 65 degrees - might have a fire in the patio fireplace later today & roast some marshmallows....

Edited by GoSkins0721
  • Like 1

Sounds good...I love wings on the grill. I've been buying the wings at Costco - one of those packs & some grilled veggies are perfect for a weekend meal for us. 

Rainy & overcast in RVA today. I had to move the deck umbrella down to the patio to protect my smoker. I have 2 3lb meatloaves on the smoker. Each one has 2lb ground beef & 1lb ground pork. Mixed in eggs, panko bread crumbs, Lipton onion soup mix, sauted onions, Korean bbq sauce. Been on the smoker since ~12:45pm with the temp about 260. Meat is at 150 right now so it's time to go out & add some sauce on top for the last 20-30 minutes. I'll take them off at 165...

Edit: the good news weather wise is it's only 65 degrees - might have a fire in the patio fireplace later today & roast some marshmallows....

Man, only 65 degrees.  I'd love that right now.  It's only 86 degrees here in Charlotte, but 60-70% humidity, so it feels like the low 90s.  

I should try a meatloaf sometime, sounds awesome man.

• Like 1