Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Marinating pork belly in soy sauce, garlic powder, lime juice & a splash of hot sauce. Gonna grill over charcoal, with a chunk of apple wood.

I also have some nice lobster tails. I made some herbed butter with chives, garlic, tarrogon & pepper. I'm going to split the shells, skewer them,. brush with olive oil, grill and finish with the butter.

Sounds great, but you better add some fiber. You're gonna have swamp-ass for the better part of the week :P

I made two whole chickens on my Weber yesterday. Got to try out my new ThermoPro TP08. Brined the chickens overnight and seasoned with Adobo under the skin before grilling. The meat was delicious. I must've done something wrong though because the skin ended up rubbery.

I made two whole chickens on my Weber yesterday. Got to try out my new ThermoPro TP08. Brined the chickens overnight and seasoned with Adobo under the skin before grilling. The meat was delicious. I must've done something wrong though because the skin ended up rubbery.

Had the same issue smoking one a while back. Everything I've read says that's a temperature issue during the roasting process. Too low makes the skin like that. One perk is that it seems to help seal in the moisture on the rest of the bird. But flavor and texture wise, skin like that can really bring the actual eating experience down tremendously.

In regards to ketchup, I only refrigerate mine because I enjoy cold ketchup for dipping.

If you cook chicken low and slow it will always have rubbery skin.  I use my slow and sear but light about 3/4 a chimney of charcoal and put it in all lit once.  Then I cook the chicken indirect until it gets close to temp then I move it over the coals to finish. 

• Like 2

I think chickens cook up better on high indirect heat. Skin will crisp very nicely and will be plenty moist. You can still finish on direct heat for a few minutes to get a char, which I love, but not really necessary. IMO chicken is a meat that is not at its best when slow cooked (I'm sure some disagree)

If I'm roasting in the oven it's 450 for an hour

Remember let your bird get to room temp. Hour or two on the counter

• Like 1

I think chickens cook up better on high indirect heat. Skin will crisp very nicely and will be plenty moist. You can still finish on direct heat for a few minutes to get a char, which I love, but not really necessary. IMO chicken is a meat that is not at its best when slow cooked (I'm sure some disagree)

If I'm roasting in the oven it's 450 for an hour

Remember let your bird get to room temp. Hour or two on the counter

Agreed.

Chicken should be cooked hotter and fast. I crank the smoker to around 325-375. I suggest that you spatch**** the chicken too. It cooks faster, and more evenly, that way.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on good reheat method for a lot of pulled pork, without causing it to dry out?

Got a bunch of people coming over this weekend, and making pulled pork and brisket. But I don't have enough grid space to have both on there at the same time, so I figure I'll cook and pull the pork the day before, refrigerate and reheat. But I've never reheated 5-6 lbs of meat at once. I was thinking about mixing in some bbq sauce and putting it in the crockpot on the lowest setting

Edited by Bliz

Pork Belly?

How do you prep and grill/smoke it?

Don't know about grilling it, but this Kevin Gillespie recipe for buffalo pork "wings" is insane(ly delicious):

Braise 2 lb belly by rubbing with kosher salt and cooking fat side up in a baking dish just big enough to fit the slab with a cup of apple cider vinegar. Wrap the dish tightly in aluminum foil and bake for 3 hours at 300. Let it come down to room temp

Trim the top layer of fat off and cut into pieces 4" long and 1" thick

Heat a bottle of Frank's red hot sauce on medium until bubbly at the edges, then whisk in 2 T butter

Fry the pork in canola oil in a deep fryer at 375 for 5 min, toss it in the sauce, serve with blue cheese or ranch (ranch for philistines only)

Edited by Bliz

Any suggestions on good reheat method for a lot of pulled pork, without causing it to dry out?

Got a bunch of people coming over this weekend, and making pulled pork and brisket. But I don't have enough grid space to have both on there at the same time, so I figure I'll cook and pull the pork the day before, refrigerate and reheat. But I've never reheated 5-6 lbs of meat at once. I was thinking about mixing in some bbq sauce and putting it in the crockpot on the lowest setting

Don't ruin that perfectly smoked pulled pork with BBQ sauce!

Heat it,gently over low heat and add a little apple juice for moisture.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned the aluminum foil and towel and cooler trick I think

It will stay hot for 24 hours no problem

I've done the foil and towel cooler, but never for that long. Would you still cook all the way to 200, or with that long in the cooler do you pull it off a little earlier?

Someone mentioned the aluminum foil and towel and cooler trick I think

It will stay hot for 24 hours no problem

That's treading dangerously.

I use a faux-cambro, all the time, but there's no way it will keep the meat safely,(minimum 140 degrees), for 24 hrs.

No way.

I've done the foil and towel cooler, but never for that long. Would you still cook all the way to 200, or with that long in the cooler do you pull it off a little earlier?

Don't do it. The meat will absolutely not keep for that long.

Pull it, and reheat it the next day,over low heat. Add a little apple juice for moisture, or a Carolina vinegar sauce. If you go that route,don't pick out any fat, until it's reheated, as it helps keep it moist.

• Like 3

Don't know about grilling it, but this Kevin Gillespie recipe for buffalo pork "wings" is insane(ly delicious):

Braise 2 lb belly by rubbing with kosher salt and cooking fat side up in a baking dish just big enough to fit the slab with a cup of apple cider vinegar. Wrap the dish tightly in aluminum foil and bake for 3 hours at 300. Let it come down to room temp

Trim the top layer of fat off and cut into pieces 4" long and 1" thick

Heat a bottle of Frank's red hot sauce on medium until bubbly at the edges, then whisk in 2 T butter

Fry the pork in canola oil in a deep fryer at 375 for 5 min, toss it in the sauce, serve with blue cheese or ranch (ranch for philistines only)

Sounds great! I'll try that, next time.

That's treading dangerously.

I use a faux-cambro, all the time, but there's no way it will keep the meat safely,(minimum 140 degrees), for 24 hrs.

No way.

Don't do it. The meat will absolutely not keep for that long.

Pull it, and reheat it the next day,over low heat. Add a little apple juice for moisture, or a Carolina vinegar sauce. If you go that route,don't pick out any fat, until it's reheated, as it helps keep it moist.

Good to know... I have a friend who does large events, I could have sworn he said it keeps a day

All you skirt steak lovers... Any good marinade recipes? For fajitas

for store bought this is good...

• Fabulosa Fajita Marinade

I usually just wing it with soy sauce, lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic ,ect 

Good to know... I have a friend who does large events, I could have sworn he said it keeps a day

Maybe he has some type of professional set-up? What I do is dump some boiling water in the cooler, dump it, toss in an old towel, then the tightly foil-wrapped meat,in an aluminum pan, and put few towels on top of that.

I also keep a digital probe thermometer, in the meat, because I will not take a chance on getting someone sick. I've done this with whole turkeys and and briskets. They keep,safely, for several hours.

Or you can just leave it out (I have to hide food from the cats, so in the micro or oven)long enough to get to room temp...between 40-140 degrees for only 4 hours is safe by "officials", so there's that.

I like your approach tho, maybe try half mine & half yours, you get it down-temp a little and warm-up a little.

I'm jealous. I'm buying mine at a restaurant nearby. :(

Something I really love doing on the grill is a mustard-maple glazed salmon.  Get some dijon mustard, mix in some salt, pepper, garlic, apple cider vinegar, & maple syrup.  Marinate the salmon in it over night.  Grill the salmon skin down on direct heat over the coals. 

Something very underrated about Salmon is the skin.  Grill that Salmon until the skin is crispy.  The taste of the marinade cooked into the crispy skin? So good!