Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Yeah I didn't give proportions in my post above, but I definitely like to notch up the chili powder and/or chipotle when possible but not everybody likes that.

Kudos to whoever mentioned chipotles in adobo. I used to make about 8 lbs of skirt steak when my mom's side of the family (big family) would get together and we'd do half with chipotles and half without. I'm also not above throwing a little tequila in the marinade.

Popped into Costco this morning they have pellet smokers

I might do something stupid tomorrow

Make sure you know their history. Heard Treager has shifted production to China and have had feed issues with the pellets. Whichever you might get look online for feeder problems.

• Like 1

I found a recipe for a Thai-Style pulled pork that I'm going to have to try.  It's going to require cooking in a cast iron pot which I haven't done with a pork shoulder but it should still get the smoked flavor without the lid on. My only concern is it might be too greasy when it's done. 

I'm thinking I should anticipate about 9-10hrs for a 6.5lb butt right? After trimming It'll probably be closer to 6lbs. Part of me wants to try doing some foil at around 150-160 to try and halt the stall the best I can. But at the same time, I'd kinda rather just push through so I can get a nice bark.

Gonna give it close to a full 24hrs salt brine. Put together a good rub. I like a nice blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, a little cayenne, and some Old Bay usually. And plan on giving it the occasional spray of apple juice.

From what I've been reading, I should anticipate about 5-6hrs for the ribs. Sound about right? Most likely going with St. Louis ribs.

I just did a 6lb shoulder. It took just over 12hrs at 225° to 230°. I didn't foil and pulled it at 203°

5-6 hrs for ribs sounds about right.

I just did a 6lb shoulder. It took just over 12hrs at 225° to 230°. I didn't foil and pulled it at 203°

5-6 hrs for ribs sounds about right.

I've got a 9lb shoulder on this morning. Slow N Sear keeping it at about 230. Got a late start at 8AM, so I might have to increase the air flow a bit and raise the temp or it will be a late dinner!

Make sure you know their history. Heard Treager has shifted production to China and have had feed issues with the pellets. Whichever you might get look online for feeder problems.

Yah, saw that too

Going to pass and probably buy the small mak at some point. I really want a dedicated smoker

I've got a 9lb shoulder on this morning. Slow N Sear keeping it at about 230. Got a late start at 8AM, so I might have to increase the air flow a bit and raise the temp or it will be a late dinner!

Lol! Order a pizza.

You'll be lucky if that bad boy is done before 10:00 pm. For shoulders that big, I get the butcher to cut them in half. The cook is shorter and you get twice the delicious bark....

Google the turbo butt method on the big green egg forum

Lol! Order a pizza.

You'll be lucky if that bad boy is done before 10:00 pm. For shoulders that big, I get the butcher to cut them in half. The cook is shorter and you get twice the delicious bark....

About 2PM it was at almost 170. I threw in a handful on fresh briquettes and opened the vents up and it went up to around 250-260. About 4PM I tossed about 5 more briquettes on top again and another small chunk of hickory. At 5:30 it was 195 on the bone. We were eatin' by 6:30.

Made an assortment of different homemade sauces for the extended family too

S. Carolina mustard-based sauce (do a search for "Columbia Gold")

Carolina vinegar sauce

A smoky Memphis style sauce

and Alabama white sauce (was very "zippy" according to my wife)

and of course home made slaw.

Edited by Zguy28

Carolina vinegar >

I know that's sacrilege to say for someone living in TN. Also, one must put the Cole slaw on the sandwich and eat it all together.

Absolutely. I always put the slaw "onboard". I was always a vinegar man, but I have really taken a liking to the mustard sauce. Must be the German in me. :)

About 2PM it was at almost 170. I threw in a handful on fresh briquettes and opened the vents up and it went up to around 250-260. About 4PM I tossed about 5 more briquettes on top again and another small chunk of hickory. At 5:30 it was 195 on the bone. We were eatin' by 6:30.

Made an assortment of different homemade sauces for the extended family too

S. Carolina mustard-based sauce (do a search for "Columbia Gold")

Carolina vinegar sauce

A smoky Memphis style sauce

and Alabama white sauce (was very "zippy" according to my wife)

and of course home made slaw.

Sounds great!

If you are new to slow and low BBQing pork butt/shoulder, I found this video on youtube a few years back and pretty much followed it exactly and it produced a delicious pulled pork for my family.  It's pretty easy to follow with nothing complicated.  IMO it is a great starter's method to where you can add in different technique once you have this basic method down.

I cooked a pizza on the smoker on Saturday using some previously frozen dough I made a few weeks back. It was very good. I think I'll do this more often (freeze dough) with my foodsaver vac. Then when the mood strikes, I can take out the dough to thaw. This batch I cut into 4 pieces & put 2 to a pack. They basically make individual pizzas. But I like making 2+ at a time, each with different topping.

On Saturday, 1 was grilled veggie w/ parmesan cheese. The other was garlic flavored olive oil + fresh mozzarella cheese + fresh roma tomatoes + fresh basil. Tossed it on a preheated 550 degree cast iron pan dropped the lid & let it cook for about 7 minutes. Melted mozzarella oozing off the side & it was done. Sprinkled it with ground black garlic & it was time to eat...

Oh...if you haven't tried "Black Crack" garlic, you need to. We eat it on almost every veggie. It doesn't have a garlicky taste. It's a bit pricey but it's worth it...

Edited by GoSkins0721
  • Like 1

Sunday was a success!

Did a 6lb pork butt and a rack of ribs on the smoker. Ended up taking about 7hrs for the butt on the smoker and an hour rest, and about 5.5hrs on the ribs. Both came out fantastic. Threw some beans with bacon and sausage in the crock pot, wife made baked mac n cheese, cornbread, and we had some cake for dessert. A couple hours after arriving, dad and FIL were on separate couches in BBQ comas. Leftovers made for a very tasty lunch yesterday.

• Like 4

I wish I liked ribs more. Lots of fun to cook but I'd just rather have something else. I don't not like them, I just don't love them

I was a bit hesitant. Only because it was my first time smoking them. Ribs can be tricky and turn folks off simply because really good ones will set your expectations up really high, but bad ones can ruin them forever lol.

• Like 1

I grilled burgers and corn for my GF's father on Sunday. He wanted simple, and it tasted good, but I still made a steak sauce for the burgers based on an America's Test Kitchen recipe. It's made out of beef broth, tomato paste, raisins, butter, garlic, worcestershire, and balsamic. Brushed it onto both sides of the patties before I grilled them and then poured a little over them as they were plated. The end results were great.

I tried grilling the corn in the husk instead of taking them out and putting them in foil packets with butter and garlic like I used to do. Much easier this way, and it steamed the corn really well. I pulled the husks down without taking them off, removed the silk, folded the husks back onto the ear, then soaked it in water for a while. Direct heat for five minutes on both sides, then indirect heat for another 15 minutes or so.

• Like 2

I have been meaning to try that method of grilling corn in the husk thanks for the directions

I like my burgers with kosher salt, black pepper, and a little bit of garlic powder. got to season them moments before cooking

I think getting those silks off before you cook the ears is key because I could see that being a real chore to do when they are steaming hot.

I would experiment with the direct heat/indirect cook times. The only reason I did about five minutes of direct on each side was because it was an easy to remember number and that's about how long it took before the husks really started to char. The corn came out very moist and tender this way. If you want the corn to be dryer and more roasted, then I think you might have to do all direct heat. And you might even have to take the husks off at some point during the cook time because they seem to form a very effective moisture barrier between the element and the corn.

I think getting those silks off before you cook the ears is key because I could see that being a real chore to do when they are steaming hot.

I would experiment with the direct heat/indirect cook times. The only reason I did about five minutes of direct on each side was because it was an easy to remember number and that's about how long it took before the husks really started to char. The corn came out very moist and tender this way. If you want the corn to be dryer and more roasted, then I think you might have to do all direct heat. And you might even have to take the husks off at some point during the cook time because they seem to form a very effective moisture barrier between the element and the corn.

Way, way back in the day, I worked at Smokey Glen Farm in Gaithersburg. I had a bunch of different jobs there and was a head cook for a 3 or 4 of summers. Anyway, we took crates of corn, dumped them into a big vat, let them soak for a while & then cooked them for about 2 hrs directly over coals (at a low temp) - with husks & silks. Then we shucked them on the line & dropped them into heated, melted butter. 

I haven't tried that in years. But it was always a winner at SGF. 

I do it this way: shuck the corn, wrap it in foil with a piece of ice, put it on indirect heat for about 15 minutes (ice melts & steams the corn). Then unwrap & toss it over the hot coals to get some char. Lather with garlic butter....