Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

2 hours ago, twa said:

I use mustard seed,chili, onion and garlic powder along with the corriader

they about give corned beef away here at certain times of the yr

Exactly, and the points which are cheaper actually make better pastrami. Some potato salad, a pickle and some chips and I'm set.

MVIMG_20200402_150709.jpg

MVIMG_20200402_171509.jpg

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 10

I finally decided to make a sourdough starter. Just finished the day 4 feeding & should be ready to make something with it starting tomorrow or the day after (whatever day of the week that is). I've made no-knead olive bread on my smoker (and oven) in the past. Pretty easy & really tasty. Going to try these: sourdough rolls for steak & cheese sammiches, sourdough pizza (pesto, tomato, cheese, basil), and sourdough rye everything bagels. 

Any bread makers with suggestions and/or recipes to try? 

• Like 2

We made some interesting food this week.  The staying at home has given us time to try making some new stuff. Tonight we made ground lamb, potatoes, rosemary, garlic... mainly this recipe here:  https://myheartbeets.com/rosemary-garlic-ground-lamb-potatoes/

A couple of nights ago we made mini pies with Bisquick, ground lamb, onions and shredded mozzarella.

And last night we made oatmeal, dried apricot, and blueberry-infused-craisin cookies.  (we used betty crocker oatmeal cookie mix and added the dried fruits)

We also made some bread the past week or so with varying results, some pretty normal and some with fruit.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, visionary said:

And last night we made oatmeal, dried apricot, and blueberry-infused-craisin cookies.  (we used betty crocker oatmeal cookie mix and added the dried fruits)

I never - ever - ate oatmeal growing up. I blame my Dad because I don't think he liked it so he made sure we never, ever had to eat it. 

Anyway, I bought a box of cinnamon/apple instant whatever brand because I thought it would be healthy & cheap. Tried it - nope - tastes like ****. Cardboard ****. 

Found a recipe using 5 packs of this packaged cardboard crap to make cookies. Actually, pretty decent cookies with coffee in the morning. Shocked. 

• Haha 2

Fried cheddar grits, round two, prepped for tomorrow. Using leftovers. Cooked them in Mrs. Skinsfans ham stock, and added ground black pepper, a little salt, cooked crumbled bacon, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, minced garlic and scallions.

Gotta use up those leftovers!

20200410_103312.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 6

On 4/4/2020 at 2:28 PM, EmirOfShmo said:

I finally decided to make a sourdough starter. Just finished the day 4 feeding & should be ready to make something with it starting tomorrow or the day after (whatever day of the week that is). I've made no-knead olive bread on my smoker (and oven) in the past. Pretty easy & really tasty. Going to try these: sourdough rolls for steak & cheese sammiches, sourdough pizza (pesto, tomato, cheese, basil), and sourdough rye everything bagels. 

Any bread makers with suggestions and/or recipes to try? 

I thought I had this figured out by day 4. Apparently, I missed the step where you're supposed to remove 1/2 of the starter everyday before feeding it that day. I ended up with a separation of the fluid (called 'liquor') from the starter. Essentially, it starved itself because the daily feeding of new flour wasn't enough to keep it nourished. I was going to start a new batch but realized that I'm just about out of bread flour (I use this when I don't have 00 flour to make pizza dough). Went to 2 grocery stores to restock. Yeah, every type of flour - gone. Even the yeast packets are out of stock. Sucks because now I can't make pizza dough.😞

• Sad 2

I made cheese grits this week, but nothing so elaborate. I just make them in a sauce pan, cook the grits and add cheese, mostly whatever I have. I have a bjt of grits left, may make them with parmesan cheese. I eat them with scrambled eggs.

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Fried cheddar grits, round two, prepped for tomorrow. Using leftovers. Cooked them in Mrs. Skinsfans ham stock, and added ground black pepper, a little salt, cooked crumbled bacon, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, minced garlic and scallions.

Gotta use up those leftovers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I thought I had this figured out by day 4. Apparently, I missed the step where you're supposed to remove 1/2 of the starter everyday before feeding it that day. I ended up with a separation of the fluid (called 'liquor') from the starter. Essentially, it starved itself because the daily feeding of new flour wasn't enough to keep it nourished. I was going to start a new batch but realized that I'm just about out of bread flour (I use this when I don't have 00 flour to make pizza dough). Went to 2 grocery stores to restock. Yeah, every type of flour - gone. Even the yeast packets are out of stock. Sucks because now I can't make pizza dough.😞

That sucks.

We can't find yeast, or cocoa powder, or bakers chocolate anywhere.  We have plenty of all-purpose,  and cake, flour, but no yeast...

3 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I made cheese grits this week, but nothing so elaborate. I just make them in a sauce pan, cook the grits and add cheese, mostly whatever I have. I have a bjt of grits left, may make them with parmesan cheese. I eat them with scrambled eggs.

That's usually what I do, toss in anything that looks good.  I added more stuff, this time around because I have more time on my hands. That, and am trying to use up anything near the expiration dates.  

The grits will be out of date soon, we don't eat much cheese, and rarely eat bacon, so we need to use those things up.  

I mainly just cook grits is a saucepan with water, then eat them in a bowl, with butter & brown sugar, or maple syrup.   On the weekends, they're served on the plate, with butter, salt, pepper and a couple of fried eggs on top.

• Like 3