Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Pulled pork yesterday turned out great.

Brisket has been in since 930. At 1230 it was at 164 internal. Almost 3 hours later and the temp is 162. Either a long plateau/rendering phase or I had the probe placed poorly at 1230, because I've checked it in a few spots with 2 different thermometers now. It is a big cut - 7 lb flat

• Like 1

Sounds good...I love wings on the grill. I've been buying the wings at Costco - one of those packs & some grilled veggies are perfect for a weekend meal for us.

How big are the wings? I find that they're pretty small; we call them "pigeon wings" One of the few Costco products that disappoint.

Brisket has been in since 930. At 1230 it was at 164 internal. Almost 3 hours later and the temp is 162. Either a long plateau/rendering phase or I had the probe placed poorly at 1230, because I've checked it in a few spots with 2 different thermometers now. It is a big cut - 7 lb flat

Not sure what was going on with that brisket. My temp continued slowly dropping. Once it hit 158 I double wrapped in aluminum foil with Apple juice and put it back on for 2 hours until it hit 190. Turned out great

On the Boston butt reheat, I pulled it all Saturday night and refrigerated, and after doing more research, I heated 6 oz coke and 6 oz apple juice on high in the crock pot for about 45 min, then reduced to low, added the meat, and mixed periodically over the next hour plus. Worked like a charm

Edited by Bliz

The stall you described is normal.

Each cut of meat is different. It is not unheard of to have long stalls like that. Sometimes, due to evaporation, the temp can even go down a couple of degrees.

Patience is key. Quit peaking! Like the Weber folks say, "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'!"

• Like 1

Im looking at getting a kamado now. This one

http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-grill-models/professional-c-series/

Any concerns I should know about?

Other than weighing like 250 pounds it's great, but that's true of all the ceramic style ones. I went back and forth on getting one of these and ended up getting a Weber kettle with a slow and sear. Very happy with it, but this looks pretty nice too and will use less charcoal.

• Like 1

Im looking at getting a kamado now. This one

http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-grill-models/professional-c-series/

Any concerns I should know about?

This is a pretty good site with info about all different kinds of kamado's. 

http://www.kamadoguru.com/

If you've never had this style of grill, it's a lot of fun to use. It takes a bit of getting used to but it's fantastic for cooking & holding temperatures for long & short periods of time. Plus, as noted above, you will use much, much less charcoal than a regular style charcoal grill. 

• Like 1

Had some hot dogs with chili and slaw for lunch.  Murica!  

Tonight, made some Mexican pizzas.  Heated up some flour tortillas on the stove top until crisp, cooked the meat.  Then spread some refried beans on top, meat next, tortilla on top.  The spread some taco sauce on the top, put on some diced roma tomatoes, black olives, diced jalapenos and cheese on top.  Put in the oven until the cheese melted.  

• Like 1

This is a pretty good site with info about all different kinds of kamado's. 

http://www.kamadoguru.com/

If you've never had this style of grill, it's a lot of fun to use. It takes a bit of getting used to but it's fantastic for cooking & holding temperatures for long & short periods of time. Plus, as noted above, you will use much, much less charcoal than a regular style charcoal grill. 

yeah it looks like fun :)

i've convinced the wife. going to see if the local truvalue has one, if not they're ship to store for free.

yeah it looks like fun :)

i've convinced the wife. going to see if the local truvalue has one, if not they're ship to store for free.

Pretty sure they sell the Vision kamado at Costco, too.

Here's a link about issues with the Vision back in 2014:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178989

From my research 4 years ago, most of them come down to price. All of them - except for the Big Green Egg - had some flaws (minor) that people complained about but were fixable. Once you decide on the grilling surface you want, then it's just a matter of price you want to pay. 

I have the Char-Griller Akorn kamado-style smoker. It's not ceramic but I get the same effect with a metal, insulated bowl. It's insulated enough to be cool to the touch on the top & bottom at 5 hours of smoking at 350 degrees. So, I'm very, very pleased with it (and I only paid $150 for it 4 years ago). Main thing it doesn't leak & will hold a temp very well for a long time. It has 2 grills:

https://www.chargriller.com/kamado-grills

Get a good cover for it. Then get a good dual-probe wireless thermometer. I have the Maverick ET-732 - main complaint is one of the probes stopped working at ~3 years. I think the replacement was ~$15. Some people like the ones that communicate with their phone. I haven't had any problem with communication between the units - I'm probably 40 feet from the smoker to inside with no problems. Just make sure you get a dual probe thermometer for meat & smoker temp. 

Other accessories: 

Academy 14" cast iron griddle - use for pizza instead of pizza stone. Can also use for veggies, bacon as it has a lip on the edge ~$14

Cast Iron dutch oven - I just bought this & to use for stews & bread in the fall & winter. I love bread on the smoker. In the past, I've just cooked it directly on the cast iron griddle. But I want to use the dutch oven to get a different crust. ~$28

Digital probe thermometer - a must have to check meat temps. ~$8

Congrats on your purchase! 

Edited by GoSkins0721
  • Like 1

I snagged the et-733.

I really, really wanted the 735, the one that works with your phone, but people everywhere are complaining about the Bluetooth range and buggy app. In fact, they have a 'compatible phones' list on their site and it's a small list.

I also snagged some gloves so I can work over it.

Think that'll have to be it for now, else my wife will have something to say. I like the Dutch oven idea though. We cooked with those in boy scouts all the time and they're great.

So, out of curiosity, say you're smoking a grill full of stuff... you have one probe for the smoker and one for meat. How do you set the meat probe? Do you move it around (I can't imagine this is advised?)? Not really care and just focus and keeping the smoker temp constant?

So, out of curiosity, say you're smoking a grill full of stuff... you have one probe for the smoker and one for meat. How do you set the meat probe? Do you move it around (I can't imagine this is advised?)? Not really care and just focus and keeping the smoker temp constant?

Other than ribs,(I don't measure temps on those), the only other meat that I smoke more than one, is pork shoulders and pit-beef. I try to keep the roasts uniform, and stick the meat probe into the smallest

piece.

• Like 1

If I'm doing multiple types of meat at once (which I rarely do), I put the probe in the meat that I expect to be done first. Like Skinsfan said, I never put a probe in ribs. Also, that's when the digital thermometer will help you out. Something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Groovy-Chef-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B018ER8638/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1467727813&sr=1-8&keywords=handheld+digital+thermometer

One of my 1st cooks on my smoker was baby backs. The temp probe was touching the raw meat so I kept thinking the grill was cold. I'm in a panic to get the grill temp up & can't figure out WTF is going on. Finally I saw the probe & moved it. 

Rookie mistake...

Edited by GoSkins0721
  • Like 1

Other than ribs,(I don't measure temps on those), the only other meat that I smoke more than one, is pork shoulders and pit-beef. I try to keep the roasts uniform, and stick the meat probe into the smallest

piece.

What's your testing method on ribs? The bend test? So far, that's been my go to. Pick up with tongs in the center. Look to see if the top skin cracks when it bends.

• Like 1

What's your testing method on ribs? The bend test? So far, that's been my go to. Pick up with tongs in the center. Look to see if the top skin cracks when it bends.

I do the same, except when I do 3-2-1 ribs.

I use St Louis style, almost exclusively, and they usually take ~ 5hrs. The meat is pulled from the bone, and they crack when you pick them up with tongs.

• Like 1

My friend and I smoked 12 lbs of St Louis ribs yesterday for a 4th of July cookout. We'd never done it before and we used a new grill we weren't super familiar with. Used a mixture of apple an cherry wood. But it was a bit of a fiasco. We applied our rub and then put them on and thought we weren't supposed to take the top off for the first hour of what we thought would be a three and a half to four hour cook. So I left to go get some ice and food while my friend stuck around. So I was gone and he got distracted and didn't notice that the temperature got super frickin hot for some reason at some point and when my friend pulled the top off to check on them, the fire was ripping and like 70% of the silverskin was burnt to a crisp on two of the racks :lol:.

We had a bunch of people coming over in a few hours and he was just like "****!" and without thinking just grabbed the racks off the grill with his bare hands ahahaha. He said that's when he realized it was time to switch from beer to coffee. When I got back I saw them sitting on a platter on the counter and just laughed. In the meantime he had been panicking and throwing whatever meat he could find around the house on the grill because he didn't think the ribs were edible any more and our guests were coming over soon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were fine though. The way we fixed them was complete nonsense but it worked out and I was grateful. I wrapped each rack up tight in foil and then put them in the oven for about 45 minutes on 325 degrees to cook them all of the way through. Then I took them out and used a wire brush to scrape the burnt silverskin and char on the bones :lol:. Then I basted each rack with a BBQ sauce and then stacked them back up on the grill for a while. The end result was actually amazing. Nice flavorful and crusty bark over a super tender and smoky rib meat. They weren't dried out at all and our guests raved about them. We bumbled onto something delicious and I will never be able to replicate that process.

• Like 2

Broke in the new Weber Performer Premium today. Made some chicken legs with indirect heat (seasoned with Adobo) and then finished off with some ribeyes over direct heat. I missed charcoal.

Thats my charcoal grill, have had it for a very long time, love it when I have time to mess with charcoal, which is never any more. Its why I bought a gas grill lol

"silverskin?"

100% of it should've been removed, before the cook ;)

Great story, glad it worked out.

How's your friends hands?

I'm going to assume this means the membrane on the underside of the bones?

I typically just slit mine between each bone because for some reason I just can't ever get it to peel off properly. Lol all the videos and TV shows and stuff make it look so effin easy, but every time I try it comes off in little itty bitty pieces that would take hours to do.

• Like 1