Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

It's looking more and more that the Nats will be moving to West Palm Beach for spring training.  It was announced Monday that West Palm Beach mayor Jeri Muoio will seek an agreement with Palm Beach County for a land swap that will allow the Nats and the Astros to break ground on a joint facility in the next couple of months, with completion expected in time for the spring of 2017.  There's a 160 acre site they have targeted, and developers who held the rights to it have agreed to relinquish exclusive rights to build, paving the way for the facility to be constructed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2015/01/05/west-palm-beach-mayor-clears-path-for-new-nationals-training-facility/

Damnit. Uncle owns a house in Orlando :(

You should get down there for a spring training in Viera this year or next.  You would love the experience.  You can stand just a few feet away from the players at the four practice fields.  It's like watching a Little League game on those fields in terms of the intimacy.  And Space Coast Stadium is a pretty fan-friendly place to watch the games.    

And you could time your trip to catch the Nats at an away game with the Braves at Disney World, probably pretty close to your uncle, or the Astros in Kissimmee. 

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/1/6/7479059/melotticus-presents-the-washington-nationals-top-20-prospects

a new top 20 prospect list for the Nats:

1-6: Giolito, Taylor, Lopez, Turner, Cole, & Fedde

More interesting is Goodwin not making the top 20. Serves as a reminder of the volatility of prospects

Thanks for posting. 

So true about Goodwin. And Eury Perez, now with the Yankees organization after the Nats DFA'd him. 

This is DC.

And this is San Francisco.   The Giants hadn't won the World Series since they moved out here in 1958, despite having the best all time winning percentage in the National League and the second best record since the move west.  Guys like Willie Mays, Willy McCovey, Juan Marichal, Barry Bonds, Orlando Cepeda, Will Clark, Matt Williams, Gaylord Perry... they won a ton of games but never won a title.  They came so close many times, but couldn't get over the hump.  They were cursed.  

Now they aren't.    I think it will happen for the Nats too.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/1/6/7479059/melotticus-presents-the-washington-nationals-top-20-prospects

a new top 20 prospect list for the Nats:

1-6: Giolito, Taylor, Lopez, Turner, Cole, & Fedde

More interesting is Goodwin not making the top 20. Serves as a reminder of the volatility of prospects

I think I'm gonna hit some games at Potomac this year. Have some childhood Cannon flashbacks. But for real, quite a few guys I'd love to see (starting with Giolito of course)

I grew up going to the Pfitz. Love PNats games. Getting to see the fresh talent, only having to drive a few minutes away (Grew up in Woodbridge), cheap tickets, and there's just a certain atmosphere to minor league ball. Don't get me wrong here either, the Pfitz will always be a part of my childhood and have played a huge part in my love for baseball. But gotdayum I can't wait for this new stadium. It's LONG overdue.

Ken RosenthalVerified account
‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Nationals’ Jayson Werth to undergo arthroscopic surgery on right shoulder tomorrow. Rehab expected to be 2 to 3 months.

‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Werth’s surgery will be on AC shoulder joint - same area that caused him to miss a week last August. Will take place at Mayo Clinic.

‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Werth’s surgery not expected to increase #Nationals’ pursuit of #Rays’ Zobrist, per sources. WAS has viewed price for Zobrist as too high.

I guess he tried to rehab it after the season as long as he could, but with not enough progress made elected for surgery so he'd be ready close to the beginning of the season. 

Still, cost him all of spring training. Not good. 

Not good for Werth but it might be a great opportunity for Michael Taylor and/or Jeff Kobernus. 

Not good for Werth but it might be a great opportunity for Michael Taylor and/or Jeff Kobernus. 

Not good for the Nats. Missing all of spring training, not being able to swing a bat due to shoulder surgery, and not being able to get in game shape, is typically pretty bad for a player's production over the course of the entire season. Expect a diminished Werth compared to what we've seen in the past couple years.

Not good for the Nats. Missing all of spring training, not being able to swing a bat due to shoulder surgery, and not being able to get in game shape, is typically pretty bad for a player's production over the course of the entire season. Expect a diminished Werth compared to what we've seen in the past couple years.

Maybe, but I'm excited to see what the young guys can do in ST. 

Werth is moving to LF so having Taylor/Kobernus/Frandsen/McLouth out there is a draw. Maybe an upgrade with Taylor/McLouth/Kobernus speed. 

I'll take Taylor/Kobernus/McLouth on the base paths over Werth. 

So it's down to batting: Yeah, Taylor Ks too much & Kobernus is unproven. So maybe it's a platoon of McLouth/Frandsen with Taylor/Kobernus late game PH/PR & defensive replacements. Loss of power, but is it really a huge loss if the other 4 have a decent OBP? 

Loss of leadership for sure. BUT, he'll still be in the dugout until rehab playing assignment starts. So it's not a complete loss. Yeah, he won't be on the field but maybe he can share some knowledge with the youngsters. 

Like I said, I'm excited to see the young guys get a chance. Each of the last 3 seasons one of the key players for the Nats has gone down for an extended period of time. I'm not going to let Werth's injury bother me.

I think you're underrating Werth's bat and its importance to our success. That's the biggest spot it would impact us.

I agree. His ability to work counts and come through with clutch hits has been a real blessing these last couple of years.

I think you're underrating Werth's bat and its importance to our success. That's the biggest spot it would impact us.

I'm not underestimating it at all. Werth has been out extended periods of time for each of the past several seasons. Last year it wasn't as long but he was out with the same shoulder injury he's getting repaired. I think the Nats were about .500 in 2013 without him. Not sure what it was in 2012. But, the team has changed a lot since 2012/2013. 

I think it will be Harper who carries the team, with Rendon & RZim close behind. That's with/without Werth. Yes, they'll need some high OBP around them to make them successful. So my point is a decent OBP replacement of Werth will be good, maybe, maybe even better because of the speed & defense the others bring to the table. 

Of course, that is a big IF - they need to show it in ST, including Frandsen & McLouth. 

And, with the NL East not as strong as last year, maybe it won't be so bad with him out. The bench can get the needed experience for later in the year & Werth saves his body, too. 

Archived