Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

He doesn't do his job well. He can't even speak....and he has a job doing some radio.

He speaks fine from what I've heard of him

I do think he lacks as an "insider" but that's a marketing label. He is really there to offer commentary on the team. I think it's pretty good a lot of the time, outside of the haslett thing

I mean, imagine if every beat reporter was a rich Tandler type, who did nothing more than a book report on press conferences (which is all rich Tandler ever does)

It's understandable to be mad when your inside source gets fired. Makes the job harder to do. He should be less of a whiny child about it though, I read his texts and feel like maybe someone should offer him an apple slice and hug.

I like Chris Russell personally in my limited time with him. He's a bit arrogant but I think you have to be in order to do that job well, so I don't hold that against him

However his continued meltdown regarding haslett is just bizarre. It really is. I mean, you guys do realize this will continue well into next season especially when our defense sucks, right? (Which I guarantee our defense will suck next year)

No one in their right mind thinks bringing in any of the listed coordinators is going to suddenly turn our defense into the 2000 Ravens, next year. As Jim Haslett's history shows, he is not going to either, most likely ever. With all of the ridiculous communications break downs and just general cluelessness rampant in our defense this year, they can't possibly be worse.

I like Chris Russell personally in my limited time with him. He's a bit arrogant but I think you have to be in order to do that job well, so I don't hold that against him

However his continued meltdown regarding haslett is just bizarre. It really is. I mean, you guys do realize this will continue well into next season especially when our defense sucks, right? (Which I guarantee our defense will suck next year)

Oh it will undoubtedly get worse if the defense still sucks. 

But, though I wouldn't put money on it, I don't see how you can guarantee the D will suck. In my opinion it is an easier fix than the O. There is some nice talent in the right places. A couple of the right additions and it could be at the least a league average unit, which would be markedly better than it has been. 

I will hold the guaranteeing until they hire the DC. Actually, If it is Morris I guarantee I won't care whether its a good defense or not next year. And I will gladly listen to Russell's bizarre stance about Haz.

They're both right, Russell and the other guy.

Landry and Rogers were both screw ups who wasted tons of talent.  They managed to get their act together for one season after they left, and have both promptly thereafter been meh at best.  In that regard Russell's right.

That being said, the results across 5 years speak for themselves.  Even in 2011, when Orakpo was healthy, Kerrigan was surprisingly good for a rookie, the DLine was all healthy, and Fletcher was still playing great, he managed no better than 21st in points allowed.  Then over the last two seasons we went from low 20s to late 20s or worse.  Across 5 years, even a mediocre DC is going to luck into a high teens ranked offense in terms of points scored, 18th or 19th or something, but Haslett couldn't do it.  His schemes were consistently bad.  In this regard the other guy's right.

And the issue that neither of them are wrong/right on is the fact that many of our guys are simply very meh on talent because we couldn't draft to save our lives outside of the 1st forever.  Once in a while someone slips out and does something, but that's rare.

The next guy won't fix all the issues, we'll probably still suck next year, but I would bet a competent DC (Phillips, Fangio) would get us into the teens sometime in the next 3 years.  Possibly sooner.

He speaks fine from what I've heard of him

I do think he lacks as an "insider" but that's a marketing label. He is really there to offer commentary on the team. I think it's pretty good a lot of the time, outside of the haslett thing

I mean, imagine if every beat reporter was a rich Tandler type, who did nothing more than a book report on press conferences (which is all rich Tandler ever does)

he doesn't finish his own sentences. He fumbles his works all the time. Sounds worse than a lot of callers. Oh, and the fake radio laugh. Brutal. Maybe he wouldn't seem so awful if they didn't have Keim on also....who sounds like a pro who knows what he's talking about. Russell is 90% opinion and 10% fact.

I like Russell overall too. I don't always agree with him, but he's pretty good. Also keep in mind that when he's generalizing about fans, he's typically correct. Most fans look at things very superficially and have no clue what they are talking about. It's a little better among the the subset of very engaged fans (like many on this board) but I would imagine that Russell hears from all sorts of idiots on an hourly basis. 

I don't know why people are taking shots at Carlos Rogers, I think it was pretty clear what his problem was. He was blind as a bat trying to play corner.  Even then, he was our best corner after Shawn Springs left.  He got Lasik before going to the 49ers and then all the sudden developed good hands and went to the Pro Bowl.  Could he have done that while he was here, sure, but he wasn't a knucklehead or a bad player. 

It's not even just bizarre.  He blatantly mocks and insults his readers and is anything but a professional.

He's the Tony Wylee of Redskins media.

I don't know why people are taking shots at Carlos Rogers, I think it was pretty clear what his problem was. He was blind as a bat trying to play corner.  Even then, he was our best corner.  He got Lasik before going to the 49ers and then all the sudden developed good hands and went to the Pro Bowl.  Could he have done that while he was here, sure, but he wasn't a knucklehead or a bad player. 

He was bad for a hot minute; I was one of his biggest critics on this board.  Then he became a damn good cover corner who just couldn't catch.  He was so good that I made a thread about eating crow just about him.  

Shouldn't have let him go.

ICYMI - I outlined a lot of detailed reasons why I defended Jim Haslett so hard right here http://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=21641  #Redskins #NFL

@Russellmania980 Good write-up. No "smart" fan is doubting the FO here has been a rumor for years, but Haz has not been successful anywhere

Word is that the Skins are going to boost AJ Smiths role. Apparently he's going to ask to move to Washington, DC and be more involved in football decisions. No more phone conferences to Hawaii!!

John Keim @john_keim 3m3 minutes ago

from John clayton... Source: #Redskins to boost A.J. Smith's role http://es.pn/1yfOnIH  via @espnnfl

from John clayton... Source: #Redskins to boost A.J. Smith's role http://es.pn/1yfOnIH  via @espnnfl

Man...you beat me to it.

Rogers was a good corner, just had tons of INTs bounce off his stone hands. But everyone knew he was good about being where he needed to be at the right time.

If I remember correctly, he REALLY didn't want to be here and thus didn't give 100% effort while here. And by 100% I mean bothering to get his eyesight fixed

What the hell does "enhanced role" mean? 

It could mean he just has to be at the Park 2 days a week in September. It could mean he has to have a conference call daily. It could mean he has to watch 3 hours of film everyday instead of 2

What are his duties and what is he accountable for? How the hell is anyone in this org held accountable when nobody has a clue what they do

Not a bad article about AJ Smith, giving both sides of the coin

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/nov/02/chargers-redskins-aj-smith-acee/2/?#article-copy

To me that's the key question.  If he isn't GM or director of personnel, I gather he'd be doing the same thing (consulting) but just doing more of it

I don't know why anyone would want AJ, he buried the the Chargers with bad moves and was basically thrown out of town.

He's probably not the absolute best we could do, but is that accurate? To me, a true personnel guy like Smith is better than Allen. However, instead of "being more involved" in personnel, I'd like to see that he's going to run the personnel side of operations. If Bruce delegated those duties and stayed atop the organization as a figurehead, I'd be fine. 

It could mean he just has to be at the Park 2 days a week in September. It could mean he has to have a conference call daily. It could mean he has to watch 3 hours of film everyday instead of 2

What are his duties and what is he accountable for? How the hell is anyone in this org held accountable when nobody has a clue what they do

in the article it says "Smith is going to ask to move to Washington, D.C., and be more involved with football decisions.". So I would guess he would be out at Redskins Park daily

in the article it says "Smith is going to ask to move to Washington, D.C., and be more involved with football decisions.". So I would guess he would be out at Redskins Park daily

That still doesn't state what he is accountable for, which is the problem with this org.

When Bruce Allen, who is untouchable says "blame me" it means nobody else is accountable for whatever poor decision they make. These are all "Redskins decisions"

So what will AJ do? What is he responsible for? How do we measure if he is doing a good job or not

This is what GOOD organizations, in and out of sports do. They assign roles with specific responsibilities and hold you accountable to them with your results. They don't give "enhanced roles" 

He's probably not the absolute best we could do, but is that accurate? To me, a true personnel guy like Smith is better than Allen. However, instead of "being more involved" in personnel, I'd like to see that he's going to run the personnel side of operations. If Bruce delegated those duties and stayed atop the organization as a figurehead, I'd be fine. 

Thats fair, but it seems like a desperation move and since he is a consultant now its an easy transaction to complete, not a lot of thought involved.

Archived