Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think this guy needs to be a part of our organization

Stefanskins

I think this guy needs to be a part of our organization, for so many reasons, in some capacity. It was a great story when he was first hired and I've been a fan of his ever since. I liked is gumption, dedication, intelligence, drive and style. I admire the way he manages his football teams as a whole. I love, not just the amount of knowledge he accumulates, but the way he is able to permeate it through the whole organization. His teams are absolute reflections of him.  Sorta body and mind like Joe Gibbs. 

"Five years ago, Moglia was the CEO of TD Ameritrade, a position he had taken in 2001, just as the online broker looked like it was left for dead after the dotcom bust. Moglia transformed the Midwestern company, growing it from $700 million to $10 billion in market cap in just seven years. But more importantly, he led TD Ameritrade through the recession unscathed, refusing to get involved in subprime mortgages. The company actually made $800 million in profit in 2008, that year of heavy losses on Wall Street. And then Moglia walked away from his business career. (He remains the chairman of TD Ameritrade.)

Two years ago at this time, Moglia was an unemployed—and seemingly unemployable—college head coaching candidate. He’d done two years as an unpaid coaching assistant at the University of Nebraska. He’d coached one season in the now-defunct United Football League. And still, no one wanted to hire him. No school would make the leap of faith, despite Moglia’s insistence that he had the skill sets required to be a head coach, that leadership is leadership.

In his fourth and likely last hiring season—“As much as I want to spend my life coaching, I did not want to spend the rest of my life looking for a job,” he told me—Columbia University, Florida Atlantic University and Fordham University all showed interest in him. Columbia blew him off after a phone interview. FAU hired another coach (Carl Pelini, who has since been relieved of his duties). And Moglia withdrew his name from consideration for the Fordham job when it became clear the school was going with another coach. (He did so reluctantly; Fordham is his alma mater.)

Then Coastal Carolina called. The president of the university, David DeCenzo, was looking to part ways with David Bennett, the head coach who had founded the Chanticleer program. Bennett was very popular with the alumni and the players, both past and present, and famous for his “play like dogs” rant that ended up on Youtube. But DeCenzo believed he needed a change. He fired Bennett. And a few days before Christmas in 2011, he took the leap and hired Moglia for $175,000 a year. “This is either the smartest or dumbest decision I’ve ever made,” DeCenzo said at the time.

Fans of the program were convinced it was the latter. They said Moglia bought the job, that he and DeCenzo were in cahoots somehow. The national media said DeCenzo’s decision was bad for the school and bad for college football. Moglia’s hiring was called “an insult to the entire coaching profession,” by an agent for former Coastal players who were in the NFL.

In 2012, Moglia’s Chanticleers got off to a rough start, going 2-4. But they rallied, running off five straight victories to capture the Big South Conference title. Moglia won the conference’s Coach of the Year award. Coastal advanced to the second round of the playoffs, earning the school’s first-ever playoff victory.

This year has been even better. Led by running back, Lorenzo Taliaferro (1,466 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns)—a Moglia recruit—Coastal went 10-2 in the regular season, again winning the Big South title. (One of the losses was to Football Bowl Subdivision school, South Carolina.) Moglia’s name has been mentioned in conjunction with FBS head coaching jobs, this time a bit more seriously. The Chanticleers pounded 12th-ranked Bethune-Cookman, 48-24, in the first round of the playoffs. Then they went to Montana and upset the higher-ranked Grizzlies.

Coastal’s reward? A quarterfinal date this Saturday in Fargo, North Dakota, against the number one-ranked, 12-0 North Dakota State Bison."

Yawn

"Joe Moglia’s life story sounds as if it was concocted in Hollywood, but as improbable as it may seem, it is not fiction. There is no fudging on his résumé, no invented jobs — only an unlikely narrative that would make a good movie. There is a fair chance it will at some point.

His story goes like this: A journeyman assistant football coach, toiling at the college level, Moglia eventually abandons his passion to pursue a career on Wall Street. He quickly rises to a top job at a giant firm, then quits to run an upstart brokerage in Omaha. Having earned billions for investors and many millions for himself, Moglia steps down at 59 to resume his quest to be a head football coach. Rejected at nearly every turn, he lands at an up-and-coming college program in a small Southern outpost and promptly leads it to a No. 1 ranking and a shot at a national title in the second tier of Division I football.

And there was another twist in the past week, when Moglia suddenly found himself being touted as a dark horse to fill one of the most coveted jobs in the business — head coach at Nebraska, where the incumbent was fired last weekend."

Photo

Lol didn't know that last one until now

bet you yawned at Rudy... and...We are Marshall..and... Indiana Jones...and the Rocky Horror Picture Show...and...

If he goes to New England to replace Belichick when he retires, Championship!!!

If Dan Snyder hires him to replace Gruden after bombing again in 2015, 3-13 to 6-10 at best.

That maybe true...and I'd take 6-10 after yet another year of beat downs if it was a new coach... not from gruden.. I expect Gruden to do basically the same thing..i.e.make the team's personality your personality...win or lose that is what great coaches do... their teams are their frankenstienish mini me's.....85' Bears...Dikta through and through... SanFran...total Walsh...Bum Phillips Oilers..Bill Parcells..Andy Reid....conversely... Rich Kotites Jets...Schottenhiemers Clevland, Broncos, SD teams...Jason Garretts Cowboys...you know....some kind of structure that makes everyone responsible.. and evryone knows exactly what is expected of them...

Nebraska can't hire a no name... too big of a risk..

Nebraska can't hire a no name... too big of a risk..

Nebraska is an interesting comparisson.  They fired Bo Pelini cause he never took that "next step".  Nebraska was a blue blood under Tom Osborne in the 80s and 90s.  When he retired, they went away from the wishbone and triple option and appear to have lost their way.  But Pelini has won 9 games (at least) every year he's been there, but the fans never related to him.  So essentially they hired Riley, who is slightly less of a coach but twice the "likeable guy" that Pelini was.  Basically Nebraska conceded - we are about a 7 - 9 win program in college football these days, but the fans will at least like this guy Riley. 

Read how Will Compton and Adam Carriker feel about that hire.

How does that translate to what we are trying to do?  Well, we haven't REALLY been a team that anyone has feared since Joe left the first time.  We've tried different types of coaches, schemes, offenses, defenses - we have failed at everything we have done.  But imo, you can't really compare college and pro football.  If you have a strong front office, most cases will be successful in the NFL.  I think guys like Todd Haley and Mike Singletary are examples of exceptions to that, but most competent coaches who are strong leaders and managers of personalities will be successful.

This cat from Coastal Carolina would need to be able to survive in a bigger pond than FCS football before he got looks as an NFL head coach.

We are satisfied with him here at CCU. I have met him and he is very personable. He is definately a leader. Leadership, I have learned over 40 years of being a Skins fan is underrated, and what we need most from top to bottom.

I'd also add, that after the last two years, I'm not sure how much of our fan base understands what LEADERSHIP is.

Nebraska is an interesting comparisson.  They fired Bo Pelini cause he never took that "next step".  Nebraska was a blue blood under Tom Osborne in the 80s and 90s.  When he retired, they went away from the wishbone and triple option and appear to have lost their way.  But Pelini has won 9 games (at least) every year he's been there, but the fans never related to him.  So essentially they hired Riley, who is slightly less of a coach but twice the "likeable guy" that Pelini was.  Basically Nebraska conceded - we are about a 7 - 9 win program in college football these days, but the fans will at least like this guy Riley. 

Read how Will Compton and Adam Carriker feel about that hire.

How does that translate to what we are trying to do?  Well, we haven't REALLY been a team that anyone has feared since Joe left the first time.  We've tried different types of coaches, schemes, offenses, defenses - we have failed at everything we have done.  But imo, you can't really compare college and pro football.  If you have a strong front office, most cases will be successful in the NFL.  I think guys like Todd Haley and Mike Singletary are examples of exceptions to that, but most competent coaches who are strong leaders and managers of personalities will be successful.

This cat from Coastal Carolina would need to be able to survive in a bigger pond than FCS football before he got looks as an NFL head coach.

Wow, that is an interesting comparison..for exactly what you said... and I'll be honest since Osbourne I probably couldn't name one coach... I thought wow what spoiled fans... avg 9 wins isn't good enough for ya(I'm a Tar heel fan).. when did avg 9 wins put you on the hot seat..the Georgia fans feel the same way about their coach.. who prob avg 9 wins.. and that University hasn't won since the Herschel days... and honestly havn't been a real threat since.. maybe once or twiced...Schottenhiemer(love it when I can reference him twice in a day) prob has a .700 winning record or pert near...so after what you've told me... the wishbone is gone for Nebraska.. welcome to the 1960s Cornholes..and Nebraska has a record of taking no-name guys...

Honestly DC, you've convinced me that Nebraska might take him...

I can see it now... next year Nebraska steals the limelight on ESPN because of this no name coach, who the fans initially hated/revolted, goes 12-1 and is rolling through the second ever college football plaoffs to a National Championship..Daniel sees this and sees his next big money making splash.. hires a man who, coincidentally (with a hint of synchronicity), has the business acumen of king midas..this man then buys the Redskins ... and is the 2nd coming of Jack Kent Cooke..

Wow, that is an interesting comparison..for exactly what you said... and I'll be honest since Osbourne I probably couldn't name one coach... I thought wow what spoiled fans... avg 9 wins isn't good enough for ya(I'm a Tar heel fan).. when did avg 9 wins put you on the hot seat..the Georgia fans feel the same way about their coach.. who prob avg 9 wins.. and that University hasn't won since the Herschel days... and honestly havn't been a real threat since.. maybe once or twiced...Schottenhiemer(love it when I can reference him twice in a day) prob has a .700 winning record or pert near...so after what you've told me... the wishbone is gone for Nebraska.. welcome to the 1960s Cornholes..and Nebraska has a record of taking no-name guys...

Honestly DC, you've convinced me that Nebraska might take him...

I can see it now... next year Nebraska steals the limelight on ESPN because of this no name coach, who the fans initially hated/revolted, goes 12-1 and is rolling through the second ever college football plaoffs to a National Championship..Daniel sees this and sees his next big money making splash.. hires a man who, coincidentally (with a hint of synchronicity), has the business acumen of king midas..this man then buys the Redskins ... and is the 2nd coming of Jack Kent Cooke..

And in no way was I trying to be a wiseass toward you DC... after I read my incoherent rant it didn't sound like what I meant by it... quite the contrary..condescending... which is odd... but I was writing extemporaneously...which, due to the medium I am using + my alcohol intake/time.. doesn't lend itself to the subtlety of vocal communication...

anyway, your information about Pelini has changed my mind I I think Nebraska may take him... I think it would be a smart move..but I thought pine cone sweaters were a good idea... bad investment...cute though...

lol... I just read the next paragraph I was quoting.. damn now it sounds even more like I was being a smartass... 

"that talk was squelched on Thursday, when Nebraska picked Oregon State’s Mike Riley to fill the position. Still, it was remarkable in itself that Moglia was part of the conversation"

sheesh... My God given disability shines again...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/05/sports/ncaafootball/joe-moglias-journey-from-wall-street-executive-to-fcs-success-story.html?_r=0

ok appears this thread got gonged.. like I've said I'm not the brightest tool in the shed..

I was substitute teaching... most of the time autistic kids... ranging from classes of kids that you wouldn't think were autistic.. to kids that makes one flew over the kookoos nest a walk in the park... 

well one day during quite time the nuns put in a movie for them to watch ( I was hoping Scarface but alas...).. so I started reading a book at my desk in the back...

all of the sudden this song comes on and all of these kids stopped what they were doing and formed a line in front of the tv.. lietrally reminded me of the Thriller Video...or Halloween 3...I was starting to get nervous... made sure my pocket knife was close at hand.... waiting... then they all started dancing.. doing their own thing.. loving it!!! Over the coming months any autistic class I taught... no matter the grade, age or severity.. this song would come on and BAM ... like mancherean candidates every student in the class would immediately stop what they were doing..push anyone outta their way..knock me to the floor like The Who were playing.. and dance 

Pretty soon I was up there with them... "outta my way, big boy comin throgh!" all of us dancing... dancing not caring.. not judging.. just enjoying life... I realized at that moment...just like Eli Manning.... I'm autistic too...cause I like to...

Oh I was more saying we got away with our identity as a franchise as did Nebraska.  Getting back to KD's thread from earlier in the week.

I doubt Nebraska hires him.  Especially since they hired Riley just yesterday.  Unless he totally flops he is getting a couple of years at least.  We'll see though.

I do think Georgia fans have a bit more to gripe about cause of how well they recruit.  But I love Mark Richt as a man.  Hopefully one of these days he steps up.

Oh I was more saying we got away with our identity as a franchise as did Nebraska.  Getting back to KD's thread from earlier in the week.

I doubt Nebraska hires him.  Especially since they hired Riley just yesterday.  Unless he totally flops he is getting a couple of years at least.  We'll see though.

I do think Georgia fans have a bit more to gripe about cause of how well they recruit.  But I love Mark Richt as a man.  Hopefully one of these days he steps up.

Oh yeah Mark is a friggin great coach... probably has a better winning pct. than Vince Dooley.. thats why I don't undestand how my buddies can be sooo impatient with him... I mean it took Dean Smith twenty years to win one... I can tell you this.. before that I and every Tar heel fan never talked **** about Dean...

But Georgia does consistantly produce talent..going by this  statistic  my Tar Heels should be a top 20 team.. talentwise/#of in state big schools...my home state, SC, should be a top 10..

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-18/nfl-players-state-by-state-breakdown-california-florida-louisiana-texas-south-ca

I'd be in favor of anyone with brains and leadership qualities. That is essential to building and sustaining a winner

For sure...In any of lifes endeavor..we are inherently to our core a leadership driven species... its what makes a monkey outta you and me... no offense...

Oh I was more saying we got away with our identity as a franchise as did Nebraska.  

I know... I think we lost our identity when we lost RFK.

Remember the time there was the story like this and Dan decided to make the guy his executive Vice President? When he showed up, Dan was watching some story about a heroic dog and decided to make the dog an executive instead, relegating the original hire to some mid level position.

That might have been Mr Burns. I can't recall. Like most Fridays, alcohol had affected my posting quality.

Archived