Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Cosby ... There is smoke.

Kosher Ham

1 hour ago, tshile said:

It just doesn’t make sense to me

Civil suits and criminal cases have different burdens of proof, largely because the potential outcomes for the person are different.

In a civil suit, the burden of proof is, basically, "more likely than not" that the bad guy did the bad thing.  Because only money is at stake.

In a criminal trial, the burden is "beyond a reasonable doubt" which is a much higher standard, because the bad guy's freedom and possibly life are at stake.

So one could go free at their criminal trial and lose the civil trial.  I think that happened to OJ if I remember correctly.  

@PleaseBlitz

yeah I understand that

where I’m confused is what business a prosecutor has making “deals” involving civil suites.  I do not understand how a prosecutor can deny a criminal case citing a civil case unless that was in the best interest of the victim, and I would think at the request of the victim 

I realize they can do whatever they want or whatever, I’m just having a hard time understanding why that’s proper 

but I’m apparently very confused on it. Including whether that was actually a deal or not. 

I just don’t recall anyone ever getting off of a criminal charge because the prosecutor thinks there might be more value in a civil suite. What if it doesn’t get filed? What if she drops it? How is that decision made without consulting the victim? How is that proper use of authority? Just doesn’t seem right to me. 

• Like 1

You've been pulled over by the Grammar Police...

Suite [-sweet] - a set of rooms designed for a particular purpose, as in a hotel or office.

Suit [-soot] - 1. an ensemble of matching garments, such as a jacket, slacks, and vest.  2. an action or process in a court of law.

"Stay in a hotel suite before your law suit, and be sure to wear your suit to court."

Now go on your way and be careful.  There are creeps out there who will slip you a roofie and defile you while you are passed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Howard University responds to Phylicia Rashad's tweet celebrating Bill Cosby ruling

Howard University has disavowed a tweet actress Phylicia Rashad, its incoming College of Fine Arts dean, sent out celebrating a court’s Wednesday decision to overturn disgraced comedian Bill Cosby’s sexual assault conviction.

Rashad, who co-starred as Clair Huxtable on “The Cosby Show” for almost a decade, praised the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's decision to vacate Cosby's 2018 conviction because of a previous deal he had made with a prosecutor. 

FINALLY!!!! A terrible wrong is being righted- a miscarriage of justice is corrected! pic.twitter.com/NrGUdwr23c

— Phylicia Rashad (@PhyliciaRashad) June 30, 2021

But after the tweet drew immense backlash online and raised concerns about her incoming position at Howard, Rashad said in a follow-up tweet that she fully supports “survivors of sexual assault coming forward” and that her “post was in no way intended to be insensitive to their truth.”

In a statement posted to Twitter late Wednesday, the school criticized Rashad’s initial tweet praising Cosby’s release.

Click on the link for the full article

Granted, I'm assuming that it's a case where Rashad honestly believes Cosby is innocent. 

It's at least believable. I assume every heinous criminal has people who believe that he's a completely terrific person. 

Assuming so. Is what she did in any way immoral or wrong?  

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Cosby Reportedly Wants To Be Compensated For His Time Behind Bars

Bill Cosby reportedly believes that he deserves compensation for his three years in jail.

Cosby’s representative, Andrew Wyatt, told NewsNation Now, ““Mr. Cosby was given an unwanted two-year and ten-month vacation that he never ask for. His constitutional rights were abolished, his due process was stripped away from him.”

Wyatt continued, “He’s due millions and millions of dollars. As Mr. Cosby said to me today, ‘I feel that this district attorney and Judge Steven O’Neill and Kevin Steele [Montgomery County district attorney] should resign effective immediately.”

Wyatt did not specify how much the 84-year-old should be compensated. 

• 4 months later...

Bill Cosby prosecutors ask Supreme Court to review decision to overturn conviction

Prosecutors in Pennsylvania asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review the decision that overturned Bill Cosby’s indecent assault conviction, arguing in a petition that Cosby was incorrectly shielded from prosecution.

The Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement Monday that Cosby, 84, shouldn't have been granted immunity because a media statement issued by a previous district attorney said sexual assault charges wouldn't be filed.

“Where a prosecutor publicly announces that he will not file criminal charges based on lack of evidence, does the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment transform that announcement into a binding promise that no charges will ever be filed, a promise that the target may rely on as if it were a grant of immunity?” the statement asked.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court in June overturned Cosby's indecent assault conviction and ordered his release from prison after it found that he was denied protection against self-incrimination.

The court said a prosecutor’s decision not to charge Cosby in an earlier case opened the door for him to speak freely in a lawsuit against him, thinking he wouldn't incriminate himself. A second prosecutor later used the lawsuit testimony in a criminal trial, and it was key in his conviction years later.

“Petitioning to ask the High Court for review was the right to do because of the precedent set in this case by the majority opinion of Pennsylvania Supreme Court that prosecutors’ statements in press releases now seemingly create immunity,” Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said in a statement. 

“This decision as it stands will have far-reaching negative consequences beyond Montgomery County and Pennsylvania,” he said. “The U.S. Supreme Court can right what we believe is a grievous wrong.”

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Supreme Court Won't Review Decision Freeing Bill Cosby From Prison

The U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday without comment that it would not review Bill Cosby's sexual assault case, leaving him a free man and ending a two-decade legal drama that shifted the cultural landscape, destroyed the groundbreaking Black actor’s reputation, and sent him to prison for several years in his late 70s.

The high court — whose nine members include two men accused of sexual misconduct themselves — declined to review a stunning decision out of Pennsylvania that released Cosby from prison in June over the word of a former prosecutor who said he had made a secret promise with Cosby’s lawyers that he could never be charged.

A Cosby spokesperson expressed “sincere gratitude to the justices” on behalf of Cosby and his family for the announcement and said he was the victim of “a reprehensible bait and switch” by the prosecutor and trial judge in the case.

• Thumb down 1

• 3 months later...

Civil jury finds Bill Cosby sexually abused teenager in 1975 (msn.com)

Civil jury finds Bill Cosby sexually abused teenager in 1975

Jurors at a civl trial found Tuesday that Bill Cosby sexually abused a 16-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1975.

The Los Angeles County jury delivered the verdict in favor of Judy Huth, who is now 64, and awarded her $500,000.

Jurors found that Cosby intentionally caused harmful sexual contact with Huth, that he reasonably believed she was under 18, and that his conduct was driven by unnatural or abnormal sexual interest in a minor.

The jurors’ decision is a major legal defeat for the 84-year-old entertainer once hailed as America’s dad. It comes nearly a year after his Pennsylvania criminal conviction for sexual assault was thrown out and he was freed from prison. Huth’s lawsuit was one of the last remaining legal claims against him after his insurer settled many others against his will.

Cosby did not attend the trial or testify in person, but short clips from 2015 video deposition were played for jurors, in which he denied any sexual contact with Huth. He continues to deny the allegation through his attorney and publicist.

Edited by visionary

• 6 months later...