Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rational steps forward for our team

B&G

I don't post very often but have been a member here for a long time.  I've been a Redskin fan since Vince Lombardi came here in 1969 so have lived through the glory days and the bad times.  I believe the Redskins are at a crossroads as a team.  In my view, the organization has to make radical changes to survive as a relevant entity in the NFL (if they have not already fallen into irrelevancy) and, more importantly, to avoid losing the fanbase.  Our owner says he is a fan, now is the time to lead and prove it.  I propose a total reboot.

What follows is some of what I would do, were I Mr. Snider.  No blame will be made in the narrative...will leave that to others as it is of no concern to me.

1)  Hire Bill Polian as our General Manager.  If not him, Nick Casserio, Eric DeCosta, Lionel Vital, or Chris Ballard.  Give them absolute authority over football operations and allow them to hire and fire their own staff without any interference at all.  Every postion in on the table.  Clearly we can do better in drafting, talent evaluation, etc.  Retain Bruce Allen in his position to do promotional work, public relations and all those type of things he is so good at.

2)  <staff edit---all name change posts go in the thread for that topic in the tailgate> and team colors (I like Blue, Gold, and White).  <staff edit>  It has to do with the reboot, getting rid of all association with the losing culture the Redskins represent and have represented for some time.  We need zero distractions and this is one that can be immediately remedied.

3)  Repair the very strained relationship with the press.  Restore box seats that were taken away.  Make upgrades to the press box and other media rooms.  Treat media with respect.  This is just one step one in remaking our organization, but an important one.  It makes no difference what is thought of the media privately but no disrespect should ever be verbalized.  We cannot beat these folks and have everything to win by working to improve our relationship.

4)  Make plans for a new, state of the art stadium in Virginia that will help the team and make the fans happy and proud.  (This process may have already begun)

5)  Make all social media off base for everyone, players and staff, where the team is concerned except for official announcements.  No team talk by anyone.  Get rid of leakers no matter who they are....make an example of them. 

6)  Build through the draft applying the best player available technique in most instances unless there is a glaring need...Lord knows we have many at the moment.  As a rule, don't trade multiple draft picks to move up .  More about how I would draft below.

7)  As a rule, address team needs at postions through free agency.  For the most part, Don't sign anyone over 26 or so unless it is a veteran with something still left in the tank to fill in a certain postion for a year or two at most.   Forget what players have done in the past, instead think what they can do for us in the future.  It is ok to claim a free agent as a developmental player.  Look past today and think of tomorrow.

8)  Regardless of sentimentality, get rid of players that are getting old...try to get something for them in the upcoming draft but if that is not possible, cut them. 

10)  Stockpile draft picks. Move up and down the draft board. As an example, look at what Belicek does or what Jimmy Johnson did when he was in Dallas.  Don't count on free agency making a big difference on the team...it might, but don't count on it.

11)  Draft and sign only high character guys to the team.  Investigate the hell out of every potential draftee or signee to make sure.  I don't care how talented they are, avoid low character personnel like the plague.

12)  We need top talent evaluators who can find talent in the later rounds and staff who can coach up undrafted gems.  See Bobby Beatherd and Joe Gibbs 1.

13)  Stop the Coaching carousel.  Finalize on a coaching staff after the season and stick with them.  Yes, we have to be good with our choices, but pressure is good...it lends immediacy to the process.

The Draft

Clearly, we have to find out if we have a franchise QB.  If not, we need to draft one....in 2016.

Here is my draft strategy for this year.  Very simple, really.  We have great need at OL, DL, S, and perhaps CB...probably other postions as well but these are the critical ones.

Round 1 - Offensive tackle

Round 2 - Safety or Center

Round 3 - Center or Safety

Round 4 - DT (someone who can rush the passer)

Round 5 - DL  ( nose tackle..perhaps a great big old hog to clog the middle, optimally a Dave Butz type)

Round 6 -  Scatback or Special Teams Demon unless there is a hidden gem

Round 7 -  Scatback or Special Teams Demon unless there is a hidden gem

Free Agency -  Even if DeAngelo returns we need another quality CB to play in the nickle.  Look for low cost veterans at any position of need if, and only if, they have something left in the tank.

I'm focusing on OL for Robert or the new franchise QB we draft in 2016.  We should draft another OL high in 2016 but focus on Secondary and Defensive Line.  We can't do it all in one year...it will take 3 or 4 to get us where we need to be.

My 32 year old son told me yesterday he wasn't going to watch the Redskins anymore this season.  That remains to be seen but I feel he is on the cusp of switching to another team and my sense of it is that many people in the 20-40 age group may be following him. Mr. Snider, please take note.   My son has known nothing but defeat and misery for all of his teenage and adult years...I don't blame him a bit.  He deserves a winner and some happiness...we all do.

Sorry for the long, rambling post.  Let me know what you think.

I think a number of your ideas make perfect sense, but none of them are possible with Danny Boy at the helm. He will never change.  He will never ever change.  He is an arrogant, vindictive loser of a man with no self-awareness or self-confidence.  He's completely tone deaf as an owner and a person.  As I mentioned in an earlier thread, we might as well inscribe the doors to redskins park with the message at the entrance of hell in Dante's inferno: Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here.

Daniel Snyder doesn't know how to properly build a business as intricate and dynamic as an NFL team.

He rose quickly and sold off just as fast to amass the fortunate necessary to purchase this team. Urging him to make the gradual changes necessary to improve this product is a totally alien suggestion to someone accustomed to fast turnarounds and prompt yields. He has restructured and molded this organization - physically, financially, and personnel wise - with an incompatible style of management that is a reflection of his fortuitous business upbringing.

1)  Hire...  Eric DeCosta

2)  Change the team name and team colors (I like Blue, Gold, and White). 

1) Eric DeCosta will be the Ravens GM (unfortunately) when Ozzie leaves.

But yes, hiring a competent GM will take care of 6) thru 12)

2) Please... the name MAY change, but the colors will NOT.

Team colors are nothing to me.  They could wear pink and gray if they choose too and I wouldn't be upset in the least.  They are my team regardless.  I simply want to eliminate any reminder of the failure that has been the Redskins over the past quarter century or so especially in the eyes of the younger fans.

They change the colors and I'm done. I'm barely coming to terms with a new name and you want to suit up like the Rams? What?

Agree. 

But not only the colors for me. If they abandon all the Native American INDIAN references to the team as well, forget it, I'm out. 

I can personally handle a name change, but I want the same logo, same colors and same themes/lore. 

If not, I am done with football. 

Team colors are nothing to me.  They could wear pink and gray if they choose too and I wouldn't be upset in the least.  They are my team regardless.  I simply want to eliminate any reminder of the failure that has been the Redskins over the past quarter century or so especially in the eyes of the younger fans.

As for the future inevitable name change, I am not hung up that.

The colors though, are part of this team and must stay forever.

Honestly, even if Dan Snyder hired a real GM and let him run the show; I think this franchise is so cursed under him that we still couldn't win.  I don't see that happening.  Dan doesn't want a real GM, he wants his puppets so he can still imply pressure at least behind the scenes.

Agree. 

But not only the colors for me. If they abandon all the Native American INDIAN references to the team as well, forget it, I'm out. 

I can personally handle a name change, but I want the same logo, same colors and same themes/lore. 

If not, I am done with football. 

sorry, but buckling to the idiotic crying and whining about the name change is ridiculous.

Just ignore it, however loud it may get; notice it hasn't been in the news/media much lately? that's because if they aren't doing good, no one gets attention. Controversy feeds the media; attention feeds controversy; self-righteous attention whores need attention.

ok, back to topic at hand.

1. Fire Haslett today; not because I despise this man more than satan, but because it will send a message to the defense that they are making moves, maybe it helps the morale. His record and abilities have been exposed for too long and it will never get better.

2. Sit Griffin; but not for the reason you think. Let Colt or Cousins finish the season out, and bring in a good QB coach and have him/them work with griffin on whats holding him back from developing. He has an arm, he has talent, but he lacks mental awareness and ability to read defenses. those 2 things would help all of our QBs out a lot.

3. Remove Allen from his position; he is a figurehead, not a quality GM. Bring in a real GM not buddy buddy with anyone associated with the team.

4. Replace the scouting dept with competent people; their direction isn't helping this team.

5. Replace the o-line coach; no explanation needed.

6. Focus attention to o-linemen, via draft, FA, whatever it takes. This is a huge problem which has a ripple effect on the offense.

Doing these things will have a huge impact on the team's outlook; they are all things which need to be addressed, and don't jump at the first person available; do the homework on players/coaches being looked at.

We have all seen how a single player can make a difference, imagine having a GM, DC, and players who care about winning more than getting paid and how it can turn the morale of a team around 180 degrees in a snap.

Some may not agree, but there are some good players on all sides of the ball, but coaching philosophy and technique is the only thing holding them back; the sad part is, some players just don't know it or believe it. When 1 player sees another who does, its catchy, and that also has a huge ripple effect on a team too.  But, it has to start sooner than later.

Skins Island Connection.  I said in my post that changing the name for me had nothing to do with political correctness.  You must have overlooked that.  Certainly, I am not buckling to anything or anyone.

Dsciambi, the list I made was not intended to be a list of instructions for a new GM.  Rather it is intended to reflect best practices in rebuilding a football team.  Bill Polian or any of the other GM's on my list would certainly follow their own path but I would bet some of these things would be included on their to-do list.

To those who don't want to change the team colors, I say that's fine.  I understand, though the burgundy and gold, once proud colors of a storied franchise, has lost its luster for me.  For sure, I won't stop being a Redskins fan because of a color change...it just doesn't mean that much to me.

1. Why are members telling on each other with rule violations, that's what MODS are for let them do there job...you can belive if there is a violation they will find it they have found everyone of mine.

2. You can stop right there with the change the team name and colors...I am a REDSKINS fan plain and simple I want this team to succeed not some new team. If the name ever changed I would be out cause my team no longer exists.

1. Why are members telling on each other with rule violations, that's what MODS are for let them do there job...you can belive if there is a violation they will find it they have found everyone of mine.

I mean... some of us care about this website.  Rules separate us from cowboyzone.

Almost everything you said is what a good, functional NFL team already does. Sadly none of it matters until Snyder finally sells this team. It's been 15 years with him and nothing has changed. Sure he hired Bruce Allen (his friend) to take control. How much control do you really think he has? You know it was Danny Boy who wanted to trade all those picks for Robert. That was strike 1 with Shanahan and one of the many reasons he wanted out of DC right from the get go.

I agree with your OP except for one big thing...#2.

We shouldn't change our name & colors. We were once a proud franchise with this name and our colors. I don't see how things will change by doing so. Even so if we ever do change the name, I never want to see us change our burgundy & gold uniforms. I still think Washington Warriors would be a cool name, if it does indeed happen someday.

Man, this losing sure has taken a toll on many fans' psyches.  I'm a fan of the team, but change the name and the colors and whatnot, as it all means little to me.  Huh?!  That's a weird notion of being a fan.  At least, in my book.

[...] Even so if we ever do change the name, I never want to see us change our burgundy & gold uniforms. I still think Washington Warriors would be a cool name, if it does indeed happen someday.

Agreed.  And if they really wanted to put this whole silly P.C. "controversy" to bed, they could dust off the old spear logo, sans feather, rendering it a generic Warrior's spear that could have belonged to, say, a caveman or a Spartan or a Roman or an American Indian.  The "correct" answer would be in the eye of the beholder.  But, yes, the colors are non-negotiable.  Hell, even the Houston Oilers kept their team colors (with some tweaks) after they became the Tennessee Titans.

As for bringing in Bill Polian as GM, that's one of my dream scenarios for the team.  Which means that it will likely never happen.

Archived