Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time for me to eat some crow too

Stefanskins

Colt played one of the worst defenses in the league.  He had a stellar performance from the defense carrying the team including generating turnovers.   He put up 17 points in regulation time. 

RG3 played one of the best defenses in the league.  He got a putrid performance from the defense who generated no turnovers.   He put up 26 points, 50% of the drives were scores.

Somehow that adds up to Colt would have pulled this off?

That's a good point. Makes me feel a lil better. He just doesn't have that 2012 magic to me at all. He looks so indecisive..But youre right... 26pts... 50% of his drives... is good to great.. but that int at the end of the first half... man, I looked over at my friend and said here we go.. we had a chance to be up 10 pts.. and receive the ball to start the second half.. turnovers kill any team... especially bad teams... we always somehow shoot ourselves in the foot.. 

All n' all I'm probably just throwing a temper tantrum because I didn't get the results I wanted... there were a lot of good things I saw too... HTTR

but that int at the end of the first half... man, I looked over at my friend and said here we go.. we had a chance to be up 10 pts.. and receive the ball to start the second half..

It was indeed the turning point. And the people who claim we should've just sat on the ball there are SO off base. THAT was the moment where the game was there to be won. It wasn't like there were 20 or 30 seconds left in the half. There were more than 2 minutes left and we had GREAT field position. I think even Gibbs I would've gone dagger there. You score there before the half, then you get the ball BACK to start the second half? That crushes the other team's confidence, which was already wavering. That one mistake, followed by a terrible defensive stand, and everything changed.

But back to the OP, this is why I laughed silently at all the posts after the Dallas game demanding that crow be eaten by people who'd written the team off or written the season off. I knew that the only time to start considering THAT would be if we could REALLY do the impossible: not beat a superior Dallas team on the road, but follow that win UP by beating a bad team and capitalizing on the momentum the Dallas game had provided us. That was the longterm test, and it's a test we've been failing for decades now.

Don't get me wrong: I would've LOVED to have eaten some of that crow. I even said shortly before that pick, "If we can just keep this up and not do anything stupid, this game is ours." Visions of 5-5 were already dancing in my head. "Only two games behind Dallas after today. Maybe the Eagles will lose, too. Foles is hurt. Hmmmm."

But ... the pick landed, and so did that feeling that I was about to watch the same crappy movie one more time.

It's like Czaban said to Baker on the radio before this game: "Win against the Vikings, or that Dallas win means NOTHING." Baker was taken aback by that, I could tell, and while I don't TOTALLY agree (because that game will always be a special memory), it's basically right on the money.

Yep Dissident. When am I ever gonna learn? Every year. Every daggum year! I thought we were going to do this. Dallass losing/Eagles looking beatable.... we got a bye week and then Tampa... in an instant.. one bad decision.. and poof gone...

I thought Bree and Amerson played great...Murphy actually blew up a couple of plays... Desean still amazing..Niles getting his number called more than Reed...both Comptoms played good enough...

Czaban was absolutely right...

I haven't seen any of the press or after the game interviews... i'm still pouting 

I guess I'm just impatient... I like my cars, food, women and team rebuilding fast

That's a good point. Makes me feel a lil better. He just doesn't have that 2012 magic to me at all. He looks so indecisive..But youre right... 26pts... 50% of his drives... is good to great.. but that int at the end of the first half... man, I looked over at my friend and said here we go.. we had a chance to be up 10 pts.. and receive the ball to start the second half.. turnovers kill any team... especially bad teams... we always somehow shoot ourselves in the foot.. 

All n' all I'm probably just throwing a temper tantrum because I didn't get the results I wanted... there were a lot of good things I saw too... HTTR

I think some people miss how good the Vikings defense is.  This is also the defense run by the same guy who foiled RG3 in his magic 2012 year, Don Zimmer.  They have shut down electric offenses like the Saints and Lions.  We scored more points than both of those teams against the Vikings.  

The Cowboys are a good team because their offense, their defense is nothing to brag about.   For RG3 basically to outdo Brees and Stafford against the Vikings in his first game back, I think is a fine start.   And I don't care who the player is, Rg3, Cousins, Colt whomever you need a bigger sample size to generalize.   And that cuts both ways.  If you look at some of the posts after the Eagles game, we had people comparing Cousins to Drew Brees. 

This is RG3's 2nd game of the season.  Heck Andrew Luck who people crown like he can do no wrong, in his 2nd game this season went 20-34 for 172 yards and an INT.  And the Colts lost.  I doubt there was panic.  He played better the next game.  Russell Wilson in his 2nd season had horrific games, 50% completion rates and threw under 200 yards, no one panicked.  Why should RG3 be held to a higher bar-standard?

I don't think the pick to set up the Vikes first score was a tide turner or a back breaker..

we took the lead TWICe in the second half while RG3 was decidedly not playing as well as he had earlier in the game.

the problem was that the defense gave it back up three times in the second half. Twice in the fourth quarter.

tide turning plays?

How about letting them go right down and score after the offense punts on the first drive of the second half? A team does not "go into halftime with momentum" .. this is a myth I have NEVER bought into, simply because you sit down and rest and adjust at halftime and momentum stops. they are professionals. Ther is no momentum that lives through a 20 minute break.

But you let them come right out of go 56 yards for a TD on their first drive to take the lead after we punt... well that restores it right quick.

Want to kill 'halftime momentum"?
Stop them on their first drive.

the defense failed.

Offense came back out and scored. and then scored AGAIN.

And then the defense gave up a 76 yard 10 play touchdown drive to a rookie.

and then the offense came right back out and scored again.

and the defense then gave up a 73 yard 11 play touchdown drive to a rookie.

All capped off by wet bags of flour scoring touchdowns as if our defense was nothing but a bunch of chumps.

Which, by the way, is what they are.

Haslett's back breaking gamekilling loser-ass Chumps.

Griffin had his second half problems, but if the defense could stop a rookie who's a mile from the end zone just one of those times..  if they could suck it up just ONCE and stop a ****ing delivery boy while he tries to chug up the middle,,  we win.

4th and 6 means nothing. RG3 doesn't need to throw it into any dirt.

One time. Just one stop out of Big Bird's Bottom Feeders, and it's a W

and that's it.

~Bang

This is RG3's 2nd game of the season.  Heck Andrew Luck who people crown like he can do no wrong, in his 2nd game this season went 20-34 for 172 yards and an INT.  And the Colts lost.  I doubt there was panic.  He played better the next game.  Russell Wilson in his 2nd season had horrific games, 50% completion rates and threw under 200 yards, no one panicked.  Why should RG3 be held to a higher bar-standard?

Perhaps it's because Andrew Luck doesn't have average/below average games everytime he starts?  Luck's 20-34 for 172 yards and an INT is a slightly average day for Robert Griffin.  Do you care to elaborate on Luck's "other games" in which he throws for 350+ and 3-4 TDs just about on a weekly basis?

where are these creative bitzes he's supposed to be so full of?

No freaking joke! The running narrative is that Haslett is the master of the exotic blitz. He has 20 something different blitzes every game that he can break out at any point! Sure...

Seems like this team is ALWAYS at its worst in zone coverage.

Well...it seems that way because it is! They are poorly coached when it comes to zone. They either stay with a receiver too long before releasing or release too early or just have a complete miscommunication about who is supposed to be where. We have more guys running wide freakin open when playing zone than any team I have ever seen...

I've got the knife and fork out.  I've been down on Trent Murphy but even though the Vikes OTs aren't much he had some nice plays.  He also had repeated 'run past the QB with the OT between them', but that's a Jim Haslett thing with our ROLB that I can't pin on Murphy.

Still needs to add strength and a burst of the line but I have seen some potential while playing on the outside as opposed to only seeing it playing through the middle before.

I think some people miss how good the Vikings defense is.  This is also the defense run by the same guy who foiled RG3 in his magic 2012 year, Don Zimmer.  They have shut down electric offenses like the Saints and Lions.  We scored more points than both of those teams against the Vikings.  

The Cowboys are a good team because their offense, their defense is nothing to brag about.   For RG3 basically to outdo Brees and Stafford against the Vikings in his first game back, I think is a fine start.   And I don't care who the player is, Rg3, Cousins, Colt whomever you need a bigger sample size to generalize.   And that cuts both ways.  If you look at some of the posts after the Eagles game, we had people comparing Cousins to Drew Brees. 

Hell, I can't argue with that. Excellent points. I think the 2012 season and the way he played just had me so hyped. I felt that we not only had found our Franchise QB but our Michael Jordan. You know? That special player that comes around every 25 or so years. He was incredible. He was everything I wanted and then some. You're right though, I have to remember that this was his 2nd game of the season. 

Griffin had his second half problems, but if the defense could stop a rookie who's a mile from the end zone just one of those times..  if they could suck it up just ONCE and stop a ****ing delivery boy while he tries to chug up the middle,,  we win.

4th and 6 means nothing. RG3 doesn't need to throw it into any dirt.

One time. Just one stop out of Big Bird's Bottom Feeders, and it's a W

and that's it.

~Bang

Well when you put it like that... Ya'll are right. I threw my boy under the bus in a fit of anger. 

The D was/has been our problem for 20 something years.. well Greg Williams had a nice run...

and I am pissed at that Big Bird looking SoB. We have the talent to play man press.. sure they will get beat from time to time but like you or another poster said, What f'n difference does it make? That kid had all day to throw... all day.. send everybody.. knock that kid around... not just once or twice...you don't have to sack him seven times in a game but make sure he gets hit fifteen to twenty times..make him have happy feet... take the fight to them!

I've got the knife and fork out.  I've been down on Trent Murphy but even though the Vikes OTs aren't much he had some nice plays.  He also had repeated 'run past the QB with the OT between them', but that's a Jim Haslett thing with our ROLB that I can't pin on Murphy.

Still needs to add strength and a burst of the line but I have seen some potential while playing on the outside as opposed to only seeing it playing through the middle before.

I know... I haven't re watched the game yet but on a few plays he looked twice as fast as I've seen him play... so, I mean, it appears that we are finally heading in the right direction... I can't remember the last time I was so high on our young players as a whole..

Griffin has a lot to improve, but overall we were in position to win with a stop.

Sometimes when you have a young QB you have to step up and protect a lead that he keeps getting back. 

And I'm ranting too... i say Chumps, but i like a lot of them. 
i love Kerrigan, Murphy looks like he's got a good motor, i like Baker, I like Kearse. i love Robonson, I like Amerson, Breeland is a budding star IMO..  they have pieces.

And all i ever see is a soft friggin zone and four rushers doing no stunts just trying to puish their way into aanother Qb who carves them up like a turkey.

we blitzed the hell out of Dallas, and youy know what i saw?

i saw Breeland and Amerson HANDLE IT. one on one, on that island against one of the best pairs and one the premier weapons ion the NFL and shut them down.

Breeland got a few opportunities yesterday and again was a blanket. He's fantastic and I'm not ashamed to gush. i really think he's got 'it".

So BLITZ a rookie and let them do it again.

Like i said earier above,,   they did blitz, rather vanilla..  but they did early on,, first play in fact with Merriweather. and to his credit, Bridgewater found the single coverages and went deep to the outside, and they picked up the early blitzes. that happened a few times, and the times they stayed in bump and run man coverage, blankets. Both sides.
But the key was Bridgewater failed to complete a single one. (The wide open miss to Patterson was not on a blitz.)  He was terrible .. his accuracy was everywhere.  and if you ask me, he ****ing SCARED BIG BIRD off by picking up those early blitzes.

SCARED HIM!!

They FAILED to get a turnover again.

Meatbag at running back, Geezer McDustbag at WR, and a rookie at QB, and of course, Claude Rains at TE*.

Failed.

The times they play zones, they get lost.i don't know who it is.. if the young CBs are letting a guy go early or the safety is mis-reading.. i'm not sure. i tend to think it's the safeties since i've seen it happen to Merriweather inparticular so much. Clark looked out of position several times yesterday.

So we have talent on D. Good players.

Big Bird is the problem. No creativity. And if what I'm seeing IS creative, then it's an utter failure to get performance out of his players.

Either way. Big Bird has got to head on back to Sesame Street.

~Bang

*extra credit: Claude Rains = .. ? 

You are right and Morris was having his best game of the season...

For the life of me I didn't understand Big Birds hire at the time...I mean lets face it was has he done..ever...but I am dumbfounded how the hell he has kept it... he has sucked every friggin year... except for Dallass, we never get pressure on the QB... If I were the D coordinator I'd send 5 or 6 every time...make the opposing QB walk off the field lookin like Kellen Winslow after that playoff game in the early 80s

When Kirk lost to the Eagles, I said he played an excellent game that should've been enough to win. I feel exactly the same way with Robert right now. I'm glad most people are seeing that it's silly to focus so much on the last drive or whatever like they were with Kirk, hopefully lesson learned. We shouldn't have to hope our QB leads a game-winning clutch drive when they've scored a ton of points for the team already. Yet, with us, it happens every time.

It's the friggin Defense. Scoring 26+ points should be enough to win in this league more often than not if you're going to do anything. The fact that it's so damn easy for opposing offense's to move the ball and score on our defense makes it hard for the offense and Special Teams. When one phase can fail so often and so consistently, it changes everything. It makes you push more on offense and force things. It makes it hard to win the field position battle on ST. It just gives this general sense of nervousness and feeling like any second the game can get out of hand.

It's like our offense is not allowed to ever feel comfortable with a lead. Ever. They're not allowed to go through a quarter or two with a lack of production. Nope, can't do it. Must score throughout entire game and also lead game-winning drive at the end because opposing team can't be stopped to come back and take the lead.

I'm so tired of feeling like our defense can never win us a game. Can never keep it close when our O is struggling. Can never dominate another team. Even when we come close to doing it, like against Dallas last week, we allow Brandon Weeden to look amazing and Demarco Murray to pile up yardage all game.

Bruce Allen keeping Haslett on had to be the most idiotic move I've ever seen an organization make after moving on from a HC. A HC who was an offensive mind and had pretty good success offensively, but whose defense led by Haslett was awful the entire time. So we keep Haslett and get rid of most everyone else. Amazing. Disgusting.

It's the friggin Defense. Scoring 26+ points should be enough to win in this league more often than not if you're going to do anything. The fact that it's so damn easy for opposing offense's to move the ball and score on our defense makes it hard for the offense and Special Teams. When one phase can fail so often and so consistently, it changes everything. It makes you push more on offense and force things. It makes it hard to win the field position battle on ST. It just gives this general sense of nervousness and feeling like any second the game can get out of hand.

It's like our offense is not allowed to ever feel comfortable with a lead. Ever. They're not allowed to go through a quarter or two with a lack of production. Nope, can't do it. Must score throughout entire game and also lead game-winning drive at the end because opposing team can't be stopped to come back and take the lead.

I'm so tired of feeling like our defense can never win us a game. Can never keep it close when our O is struggling. Can never dominate another team. Even when we come close to doing it, like against Dallas last week, we allow Brandon Weeden to look amazing and Demarco Murray to pile up yardage all game.

That's spot on there...it permeates the whole team.. lol the players/staff are like us.. the D has let us down so much/ so often that they say to themselves,"Oh, chit here we go again"..a sorta self fulfilling prophecy.. I'll tell you what..there is a curse on this team and its called Jim Haslett. 

Archived