Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Redskins who played for the Titans

ihateusernames

i'm tiptoeing out as an OP (cuz I know there are more rules here about starting a topic than at a strip club!) with this:  players who played for both the Redskins and the week's opponents.

For this week vs the Titans, two come to mind:

1.  Frank Wycheck

I remember his rookie season with Washington, I think it was 1993.  He and Reggie Brooks were the only positives, which gave some hope for the future.  Now, I didnt think much of Brooks but I thought Wycheck could be great.  He was the first (in my mind) of many terrible post Joe Gibbs personnel decisions by this organization.  (Rich Gannon was another in 1993).  I know his release by Norv Turner coincided with some trumped up steroid suspension he received.

Wycheck went on to have a borderline hall of fame career in Tennessee and he could have a made a real difference on those average mid and late 90s Redskins teams.

2.  Albert Haynesworth

Who can forget Fat Albert.  Let me say something nice about him first.  The season he had in Tennesse in his contract year, his final season there, was fantastic.  He really was a monster for them and Jeff Fischer.  He was a pretty well spoken guy despite all his infractions off the field.  I forget what his first season was line (still a 4-3 defense) in Washington.  Maybe someone can remind me.  Of course, we know what happened once Shanahan came to town with a defensive alignment that he for whatever reason wanted no part of.  He barely played after that.  He has to hold the current position of worst free agent signing ever.

(You could go back to the pre Tennessee days when they were the Houston Oilers but I didnt want to do that.  We know Ken Houston but they dont even do too much acknowledgement of their franchise's Houston days, so I wont either).

any others?

Edit: just thought of another.  This should include coaches too...

3.  Gregg Williams

Think of all the defensive coordinators the Redskins have had in the past 20 years.  Many names come to mind.  He was the best.  Loved the hire when Gibbs was putting his staff together in 2004.  It was he and his defenses not the Redskins offenses that made those teams competitive.  His 2004 defense was absolutely super bowl caliber.  I really wanted Snyder to hire him as Head Coach after Gibbs retired, instead Snyder tortured him with a couple of days worth of interviews including have Williams stay over at his house, I recall, only to decide on Jim Fassell.  Then hire Fassell's staff (including Jim Zorn) in advance of hiring the head coach, and then change direction after the public outcry against Fassell and promoted Zorn.  What a cluster F Snyder is in everything does. 

Haynesworth was garbage for the Redskins and it was easily predicted that he was going to be garbage.

Anybody who was paying attention knew he was only in it for the money so they threw 100Mill at him. That was the signature Snyderatto move right there.

I had forgot about Wycheck but yeah I remember being pissed when he was doing good there and we didn't have a decent TE other than Alexander on occasion.

Don't forget about that same time we got Chris Dishman from them lol. Also Joe Salavea was our token Williams guy from the Titans when he took over the D.

Dumbass Norvo the Clown cut Wychek and Gannon to make room for Heath Schuler and that washed up Cowboys TE who did NOTHING here.

We should've fired Casserly instead of Petitbon.

Former Redskins coach Jack Pardee coached the Oilers. I think he was gone before they moved to TN.

Their current defensive coordinator is Ray Horton, a former cornerback with the Bengals and Cowboys. He started his coaching career with the Washington Redskins as an assistant d-back coach under Norv Turner from 1994-96 before taking a promotion with the Bengals.

You guys are making me hate Gregg Williams. Best D-coordinator in Redskins history? Seriously? You guys obviously remember things I don't. I'm not saying he sucked or that his defenses weren't very good, because they were. But not Super Bowl caliber or great.

Mr. Petitbone would like a word with you!

We basically traded RB coaches with TN taking on Stump Mitchell and Earnest Byner going there. 

Vinny claimed he had a trade in place to move up for Shady McCoy but Stump vetoed the trade because we didn't need a RB.  Vinny also said Stump gave an endorsement on Haynesworth before they signed him which Stump denied.  Apparently Stump was the real GM of the Redskins from 08-09. 

You guys are making me hate Gregg Williams. Best D-coordinator in Redskins history? Seriously? You guys obviously remember things I don't. I'm not saying he sucked or that his defenses weren't very good, because they were. But not Super Bowl caliber or great.

Petitbon was our greatest, but he was more than 20 years ago. Who has been better than GW in the last 20 years (which was how it was qualified in the previous post)?

Ray Rhoads had a solid D in 2000. Blache did well filling in after Williams left. Marv was ok.

Everyone else -blech! Ron Lynn, Mike Nolan, Never Hasbeen.

Petitbon was our greatest, but he was more than 20 years ago. Who has been better than GW in the last 20 years (which was how it was qualified in the previous post)?

Ray Rhoads had a solid D in 2000. Blache did well filling in after Williams left. Marv was ok.

Kurt Schottenheimer?  GW has been the best since Petitbon.  But I wouldn't want him back.  His defenses don't have the same mojo they once had.  Is it because he's had to melo since bounty gate, lack of talent or just having young talent I don't know.  But teams don't fear going against his defense like they use to.  How can the Rams D only have 1 sack on the season with all that talent up front?

Eh, I just think GW is too overrated and I get sick of fans pining for past coaches and players. This fanbase lives in the past too much and when something doesn't go right, they immediately want to bring back someone who hasn't been here in almost 10 years. I hate Haslett too, but I damn sure don't want Mr. Bounty-gate back. One thing I do remember about his defenses is sort of what we are going through now. Solid with the yardage, but no turnovers or sacks to turn field position.

Not Super Bowl caliber, or even great? Are you serious?

If the offense wasn't so gravely one dimensional I assure you you would see those defenses in a different light. With the exception of 2006, when dumb FA acquisitions and injuries ravaged that unit, it was routinely among the best in the league while he was here.

The one thing you can argue is that they didn't always force turnovers, but they routinely stopped teams, in their tracks

I was shocked when I first found out Ritchie was either a safety or CB in his playing days; you'd never have guessed it looking at him. lol.

No disrespect to Ritchie, I loved the guy and he was a good strategist, but what made his job alot easier was Darrell Green. Green basically told them in the film sessions 'ok, i've got this guy taken care of, work around the rest, and Ritchie did. It doesn't take anything away from what he did, but it certainly made his job alot easier.

Williams had a tenacity about him that was contagious; when a big play was made, the camera would show him fist pumping, swinging, and scooping. His players knew he wanted to win, and they bought into his style. Granted, he might not have been THE best DC, but he was a motivator-type of coach; something this team is sorely missing today.

Don't forget about that same time we got Chris Dishman from them lol. Also Joe Salavea was our token Williams guy from the Titans when he took over the D.

I actually did think about him but he played for the Oilers not the Titans and I dont really make a connection with those two organizations even though one came from the other.

I didnt say of all time, I said of the past 20 years and Williams to me has been the best in the past 20 years.  

Not Super Bowl caliber, or even great? Are you serious?

If the offense wasn't so gravely one dimensional I assure you you would see those defenses in a different light. With the exception of 2006, when dumb FA acquisitions and injuries ravaged that unit, it was routinely among the best in the league while he was here.

The one thing you can argue is that they didn't always force turnovers, but they routinely stopped teams, in their tracks

Yes, I'm serious.  Like I said, maybe you guys remember something I don't, which was basically bend, but don't break.  That will not win a SB.  I will concede the offense was lacking severely during that time, but my opinion is, Gregg Williams was good, but not great.

I was shocked when I first found out Ritchie was either a safety or CB in his playing days; you'd never have guessed it looking at him. lol.

No disrespect to Ritchie, I loved the guy and he was a good strategist, but what made his job alot easier was Darrell Green. Green basically told them in the film sessions 'ok, i've got this guy taken care of, work around the rest, and Ritchie did. It doesn't take anything away from what he did, but it certainly made his job alot easier.

Williams had a tenacity about him that was contagious; when a big play was made, the camera would show him fist pumping, swinging, and scooping. His players knew he wanted to win, and they bought into his style. Granted, he might not have been THE best DC, but he was a motivator-type of coach; something this team is sorely missing today.

There is more to coaching than fist pumping. You severly underate Petitbone by saying that Darrell Green alone was the reason for his success.  As good as Darrell was, he was never asked to do what Deion Sanders did, which was take away half the field.  His assignment was always the best receiver, but depite his speed, QBs didn't shy away from Darrell.  They took their chances and usually lost, but that's for another argument.

I actually did think about him but he played for the Oilers not the Titans and I dont really make a connection with those two organizations even though one came from the other.

I didnt say of all time, I said of the past 20 years and Williams to me has been the best in the past 20 years.  

Yes, you are correct and I stand corrected on that point, but I'd still argue the "Super Bowl" calibre defense point.

Don't get me wrong, Gregg Williams didn't last this long in the NFL by being a bad DC.  He always had good defenses in Tennessee and we always had good defenses under him, but no one would mistake our defense during that time with the all-time great defenses in history.  Gregg's only "Great" defense was the year they won the SB with the Saints.  They created havoc, sacks, turnovers and scores. But we all know why now.

People just need to move on.  He's not coming back, the HOGS are not coming back, Gibbs is gone for good and Sonny isn't suiting up any time.  That's the problem with our fans. We live on past history and the glory days too much.  While I like dusting off my SB game DVDs every once in a while, I'd rather make history now and in the future. 

You realize Darrell Green was not on the team when we won the 82 SB?

Certainly having a HOF CB made his job easier, but Petitbon was a defensive genius. People discount his acumen now becuase of his failed stint as HC, but what they fail to realize is Casserly gutted the roster that offseason necause it was the 1st year of the salary cap, and our salary aggregate from 92 was already 40% higher than what the first cap would be. JKC was the ONLY owner who voted against a cap, because we paid our guys more than anybody else by a mile. Petitbon was fired after just one year, but Norv won one less game the following year and was given another 6 after that to fix things.

Watch the 91 SB and you'll see Petitbon's D destroy the top scoring offense in the NFL.

There is more to coaching than fist pumping. You severly underate Petitbone by saying that Darrell Green alone was the reason for his success.  As good as Darrell was, he was never asked to do what Deion Sanders did, which was take away half the field.  His assignment was always the best receiver, but depite his speed, QBs didn't shy away from Darrell.  They took their chances and usually lost, but that's for another argument.

I wasn't trying to discount Ritchie's achievements with Green, I was just saying that it allowed him to be more creative with his designs.

Having a guy like Green was a luxury, especially back in the days where the league wasn't so pass happy. Most all teams only had 1 very good WR and their offenses made their game plans accordingly; Petibon could neutralize that WR with Green and design schemes that kept the rest of the offense in check.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy; I think he got a raw deal after Gibbs left and hoped he would return.

Deon was allowed to freelance all over the field; he wasn't as good as some make him out to be, although admittingly he was a good player, just over-hyped and a camera whore.

You realize Darrell Green was not on the team when we won the 82 SB?

Certainly having a HOF CB made his job easier, but Petitbon was a defensive genius. People discount his acumen now becuase of his failed stint as HC, but what they fail to realize is Casserly gutted the roster that offseason necause it was the 1st year of the salary cap, and our salary aggregate from 92 was already 40% higher than what the first cap would be. JKC was the ONLY owner who voted against a cap, because we paid our guys more than anybody else by a mile. Petitbon was fired after just one year, but Norv won one less game the following year and was given another 6 after that to fix things.

Watch the 91 SB and you'll see Petitbon's D destroy the top scoring offense in the NFL.

I don't believe I even said that. I was 19 when SB XVII happened and watched the game with pure excitement. I also remember the Redskins drafting Green in the following draft, so yes, I am well aware.

As I said earlier, i'm not in any way trying to discount Petibon's success, i'm just saying it made his job alot easier.

BTW, his name is not Petibone, its Petibon, for those who are not aware.

Archived