Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP The Insider: Is Bruce Allen to blame for the Redskins' current mess?

GibbsFactor

Do you know of any other team that has less cap space then the Skins right now?  There isn't any.  The 1-4 Redskins have the least amount of cap room in the NFL.   And they have ****ty players.   He's a great cap guy all right.

You do remember the Vinny Cerrato years right?

Now compare the huge salary cap **** Vinny left for Bruce to clean up.

Bruce is awful. I have no idea why he's in the replay challenge booth. He needs to GTFO of there now. Also, this is the same guy who went out and signed Luavo immediately when FA started. Luavo is/was a low rated guard and Browns were happy to see him go. Yet, this was his #1 guy on OL. That's all you need to know.

Bring in new faces for the scouting department, hire a football GM, and let's rebuild correctly. 

For all those saying Snyder stepped back, etc, etc. so therefore this is all on Allen are not too bright. This is an organizational problem and Snyder is responsible for the way this team runs. The results, whether Vinny, Bruce, Gibbs, Shanny, or whomever else is supposedly in charge have always been the same: mediocre to just plain awful. Bruce Allen does suck, but he didn't hire or promote himself.

Snyder made a ton of money once, and has s**t the bed in every other business he's been in. People just want to avoid saying its Snyder's fault becuz then they have to admit that this cycle will never change.

Bruce is awful. I have no idea why he's in the replay challenge booth. He needs to GTFO of there now.

The plays we have challenged this year were obvious plays not to challenge. Every challenge I'm just like, yep there goes a timeout. It's a joke and is just a reflection of this broken franchise from the top down. It's almost as if we're trying to be an incompetent franchise on purpose....

The plays we have challenged this year were obvious plays not to challenge. Every challenge I'm just like, yep there goes a timeout. It's a joke and is just a reflection of this broken franchise from the top down. It's almost as if we're trying to be an incompetent franchise on purpose....

There were two where the refs got straight up wrong. 

I was never a fan of hiring Allen, and posted a thread here when it happened equating it to the 49ers hiring Mike Nolan.

That said, this article is just a mindless hit piece. Shanahan was contractually guaranteed full control over personnel. Up until this year, Allen has been GM in name only.

Allen has been responsible for running the last draft only, this year's free agent signings, and hiring Jay Gruden. He probably deserves at least part of the blame for not firing Hazlett when Shanahan was booted. He tied up too much cap money in franchising Orakpo, but it was a reasonable risk at the time. No real FA busts this offseason. Hatcher and DJax are earning their money, and Ryan Clark came cheap.

Blaming him for Shanny's RG3 trade is just silly. I'd like Allen replaced with a guy with credentials beyond a last name and the ability to crunch numbers and placate media members, but let's just go with the facts as they are during his tenure.

You do remember the Vinny Cerrato years right?

Now compare the huge salary cap **** Vinny left for Bruce to clean up.

How many times did Vinny Cerrato get $36 million taken from his cap?

I was never a fan of hiring Allen, and posted a thread here when it happened equating it to the 49ers hiring Mike Nolan.

That said, this article is just a mindless hit piece. Shanahan was contractually guaranteed full control over personnel. Up until this year, Allen has been GM in name only.

Allen has been responsible for running the last draft only, this year's free agent signings, and hiring Jay Gruden. He probably deserves at least part of the blame for not firing Hazlett when Shanahan was booted. He tied up too much cap money in franchising Orakpo, but it was a reasonable risk at the time. No real FA busts this offseason. Hatcher and DJax are earning their money, and Ryan Clark came cheap.

Blaming him for Shanny's RG3 trade is just silly. I'd like Allen replaced with a guy with credentials beyond a last name and the ability to crunch numbers and placate media members, but let's just go with the facts as they are during his tenure.

That certainly explains why Mike Shanahan brought in all of those ex-Tampa Bay players.

3 firsts and a 2nd doesn't matter anymore.  That's ancient history.  Shanahan was the only true football man here that had any competence in this game.  Think about that.    Bruce Allen should not be running this organization.  The man can't even get 1 challenge called correctly.  Not one.    He's a joke.  He's a silver spoon daddy made man that's really never accomplished anything on his own merit.

Bruce Allen is the George W. Bush of NFL GMs.

It matters in the context of this discussion if Bruce is gonna be held responsible for the results so far that trade has had on the franchise.  

It matters in the context of this discussion if Bruce is gonna be held responsible for the results so far that trade has had on the franchise.  

In an avoidance to place blame around here it's always easiest for some posters to blame the gone guy.  The gone guy is always the reason we suck now ;)

We'll never know who was responsible for the RGIII trade.   Let's just agree that Mike, Dan and Bruce are all equally responsible.   

That certainly explains why Mike Shanahan brought in all of those ex-Tampa Bay players.

How many ex-TB players were given big ccontracts here? I guess I've forgotten. Lichtensteiger and a few other guys came from Denver, but I don't recall a flood of Tampa carpetbaggers the way we had Schothead's 5-0 sycophants or Spurrier's gatorskins.

I can remember when Bruce was hired and his first response to the losing back then was status quo not exceptable. .and how he was going to turn this franchise into a winner that wins and competes every year. .but yet here we are 5 years later in an even bigger mess.. once again dan has failed to bring the right person to lead this franchise. .we deserve better than this!!!..I knew hiring gruden was a buddy move by Allen. .all that talk about how they where going to go get the best coach out there and the whole time allen knew he was going to hire gruden ..which lead to hasslet still being here..its perfectly clear to me ..why the skins are so horrible.

The defenders of Bruce Allen and Daniel Snyder is a confusing position to take.

Bruce Allen may be a nice man and maybe he can structure contracts decently but he is not a smart football person and maybe not that smart overall. He created that cap mess by challenging 30 other billionaires. The balls on that man to think he would win that. The owners weren't going to let a GM push them around regarding their business model. He has drafted terribly. He kept the same personnel men under the previous disaster regime of Vinny Cerrato. News flash we have very little talent on this roster and its embarrassing. On defense if you look at profootball focus stats nobody is grading out well except Kerrigan, Hatcher and to some extent Baker . Amerson is NOT developing. The safeties we drafted last year are off the roster. The veteran safeties are bottom 5 in the NFL. Jarvis Jenkins has continued to regress. Perry Riley wasn't great last year but he has regressed BIG TIME and is a major liability on the field. He hired the new HC because he knew him in Tampa. He did not seriously look around the league for better HC options for this roster (his other interviews were a sham). Jay Gruden has a pocket passing offense and he bet the franchise on Griffin. Still he hires Gruden ONLY because he knew him in Tampa. Just unacceptable.

On offense NONE of the OL drafted besides Trent Williams has developed. On top of that the majority of the roster of players he has assembled seems to happy with close loses to Philly and Seattle (not sure Seattle was that close thanks refs). This team has been set back big time during his tenure and if stays on as GM we will continue to move backwards.

As for Dan Snyder. 1st off he is a scumbag (http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40063/the-cranky-redskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder). Did he ever win that lawsuit vs. washingtoncitypaper? Oh yea that's right he didn't because it was all true and couldn't sue. Also how he has handled this name controversy is embarrassing. Among many other examples that national interview was a joke. He did that interview with nothing prepared to back up his POV.

2nd he is a terrible owner with no idea how to win. He hires Vinny which we all know was a joke. Then hires Allen who is not qualified to be a personal man. He hires him because of is last name. He also befriends his "GM's". Do u see Mara hanging out with Reese??

We has fans deserve better. This franchise deserves better then both these men. Hopefully one day we will get it. Maybe the owners will Donald Sterling our owner...joke

You know what is depressing? Arguing over who is a bigger piece of **** - our owner or our GM. 

What's even worse than that is having to discuss it every single year.  It's like groundhog day.

Not to get into semantics but Vinny wasn't the cap guy.

I've said it before, front office.

I guess Snyder thought it would make too much sense to hire a real general manager and have Bruce just balance the budget. Last January was the perfect time to do so. Instead, Snyder just promotes Bruce.

How does Bruce know that our front office is incompetent or not? Nobody knows for sure and it's because of Bruce Allen and that is the the main problem. I'm not sure if they don't have the right talent for Grudens and even Haslett's playbook. The front office probably has no direction.

If our team was run like a proper organization, it would easier to find/fix any problem.

How many ex-TB players were given big ccontracts here? I guess I've forgotten. Lichtensteiger and a few other guys came from Denver, but I don't recall a flood of Tampa carpetbaggers the way we had Schothead's 5-0 sycophants or Spurrier's gatorskins.

Off the top of my head:

Jay Gruden

Jim Haslett

Raheem Morris

EJ Biggers

Tanard Jackson

Adam Heyward

Josh Bidwell

Off the top of my head:

Jay Gruden

Jim Haslett

Raheem Morris

EJ Biggers

Tanard Jackson

Adam Heyward

Josh Bidwell

You could give Allen some blame for not firing Hazlett and Morris, but it was Shanahan who hired them. And the Shamster hired them for the same reason he convinced Dannyboy to hire Bruce Allen -they were all out of a job and would depend on Lobsterman for their continued employment; thus they could be coerced into subservience.

As for the players you listed - so what? They were given min or near minimum contracts, and were cut if Shanny found someone he liked better.

Our roster sucks and Allen is a poor excuse for a GM. I have written numerous posts and threads eviscerating his putrid tenure as the Bucs GM. I am neither defending him nor Snydorama. I am simply pointing out it's inaccurate to point the finger at anyone but Shanahan for personnel and staff hires that occurred during his tenure.

Whatever happens with the Gruden hire is entirely on Allen. Likewise if none of our top 3 picks from the last draft is starting by next year, that will be a strong indictment against him.

Bruce can be a high level Stan Kasten type exec. Looking at the very big picture of the football organization and representing the team at NFL meetings.

He cannot be a day to day GM. That needs to come from the outside, that person needs to be given all the resources (i.e scouts and analytics people) that he needs, and everyone needs to give him 4 years of full drafts to build this thing

Ok.  I started a thread in January called "The House that Bruce Built." Where I basically laid out all the decisions Bruce made and that he was going to have to live with the outcome. 

I don't think he's a great GM.  Great Redskins.  Not a great GM.

But.  You can't blame the salary cap penalty on Allen.  And it almost sounds like you're defending Vinny over Allen.  Which is absolutely ludicrous.  The contract that Vinny signed, with $40+ Mil Guaranteed to a head-stomping lunatic was the reason for the cap penalty.  And that's already gone down as the worst contract ever signed.

What Allen was trying to do was move the bulk of the guaranteed money into the uncapped year.  Which was legal. And it was an attempt to get the cap hit off the books in a way to do the least amount of damage.  

If he hadn't done it, they would have taken the cap hit anyway. There was nothing to do.  Either the 'Skins were going to take the cap hit from releasing him, or they tried to dump it in the uncapped year, and then Mara didn't like it.  

Blame Bruce for not firing Haslett when he had the chance.  The cap penalty was not his fault.  

Archived