Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sky Has Fallen - Our Defense Needs a Makeover!

Veretax

I heard the commentary on ESPN 980 this morning, and one of the hosts, I can't recall which suggested that Gruden knows that there are many on this team who need to go, and he's trying to figure out who needs to get the boot.  That's the only way, i can imagine him staying calm after a game like Monday.  However, I'd like to focus on the Defense, because I feel we are a far cry from the Greg Williams days of solid Defense, stopping the run etc. 

So I'll ask you guys.  Let's have a little fun with this  who are your first five cuts from the defense.  If this was the end of the season today, who's gone?

I believe there are only about 5 guys that I think are keepers.

Kerrigan

Hatcher

Cofield

Baker

Robinson

(Murphy may get the benefit of the doubt as a rookie)

For me the first five cuts

Would be:

Brian Orakpo

Brandon Merriweather

jarvis Jenkins

Perry Riley

Tracy Porter

(I thought long and hard about putting D Hall on the list, but he's on IR for the season.)

Nice thread!

My 1st 5 cuts are as follow:

1. Porter (Hopefully he dont make it to the end of the season)

2. Biggers 

3. Ryan Clark

4. Brandon Merriweather

5. Jim Hasslet

I didnt say Rak because I think he's only on a 1 yr deal so we just wont resign him.

Oh I so agree with that.  He's not worth the production we get, and it seems injuries make him practically 'worthless' at times.

I'd be happy to cut Hasslet, but who do we replace him with that's better? (Serious question)

Yeah. ..regarding Jenkins. ..I thought he was coming along as a run stuffer, & then I watched him get absolutely steam rolled about 5 or 6 times last night. You can't be that big, & in the NFL this long, & get blown off the LOS that discriminately...he's stealing money at this point.

I think Amerson & Breeland are coming along also. Murphy has played well. Agree with Hatcher, Baker, Cofield.....

We really need Safeties

Now it's time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Orakpo is cut. Merriweather is cut. Jenkins, you're gone. Perry Riley, I like your hustle… That's why it was so hard to cut you. Congratulations, the rest of you made the team!

Except Clark, Biggers, and Bowen. You're cut.

Now it's time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Orakpo is cut. Merriweather is cut. Jenkins, you're gone. Perry Riley, I like your hustle… That's why it was so hard to cut you. Congratulations, the rest of you made the team!

Except Clark, Biggers, and Bowen. You're cut.

quoting Homer Simpson really shows the value of this idea

Haslett is the first cut. His defenses for years, always get punched first before he punches back. Can we get a guy in here who comes out swinging?

Merriweather and Clark have no speed and play making ability. We need two new safeties.

Riley. Sorry but you are not a good enough athlete to play in today's NFL. You're getting beat by TE's that I've never heard of.

Orakpo. You've been here now for a while. You're just an average player. I've seen enough.

Interesting Thread.  To be honest I think half the guys we have on defense at the moment are not there because the front office nor the coaching staff believes in them. They're there because that's the best they could do with the money they wanted to spend. At least they've learned from overpaying over-the-hill veterans and getting about the same level of production though.  Anyway top five defensive cuts are as follows (assuming they find better talent to replace them with)

1. Brian Orakpo- Terrible in coverage, often injured, "pass rusher" that has 1 move, can be blocked with 1 guy, and doesn't get consistent pressure against any o-lines.  USELESS.

2.  Brandon Meriweather-  How many times has he been suspended since they signed him?  Can't cover to save his life...and he's not that great of a tackler.  Not worth the 2 fumbles he causes per year.  

3.  Perry Riley- Horrific in coverage, not a great blitzer,  and below average against the run.  

4.  EJ Biggers-  Not exactly sure what they thought they  were getting when it was part of a terrible secondary in TB

5.  Tracy Porter- Underwhelming at best

I'd also like to see a move back to 4-3(with some added pieces to the Dline), Fire Haslett, and Gruden made a comment last night about Breeland possibly being a good fit at safety...I could maybe see him at FS?

Haslett is the first cut. His defenses for years, always get punched first before he punches back. Can we get a guy in here who comes out swinging?

Merriweather and Clark have no speed and play making ability. We need two new safeties.

Riley. Sorry but you are not a good enough athlete to play in today's NFL. You're getting beat by TE's that I've never heard of.

Orakpo. You've been here now for a while. You're just an average player. I've seen enough.

you've got some above average players to replace them

Oh I so agree with that.  He's not worth the production we get, and it seems injuries make him practically 'worthless' at times.

I'd be happy to cut Hasslet, but who do we replace him with that's better? (Serious question)

I have a feeling Rex Ryan will be available. He would be my 1st choice hand down. If not him I'd say Wade Phillips.

If neither of them I like our OLB coach Baker may be a sleeper as well.

Also I'd keep Riley just dont play him on obvious passing down. I'd like them to put Keenan on the tight ends going forward.

Riley is trash. He is such a massive, massive net negative to the defense. Who the **** thought he could play? Career special teamer, should not be getting regular snaps for any NFL team. I think we should start either Heyward or give Trent Murphy a shot at MLB.

Biggers sucks but we all knew.

Orakpo started off really well but then...meh. Watch him blow up for another team or something.

Clark is okay against the pass but terrible in run support.

I think Rambo was actually fine except for those few huge splash plays in which he was absolutely god awful. The fact that he was CUT is ridiculous though and I think he was just scapegoated to save Haslett.

Man, already talking about making cuts this early in the season? Yet another long year ahead of us and it's time to start evaluating for next year. Sound too familiar?

Locks for next year: Kerrigan, Hatcher, K-Rob, Baker

5 Cuts - Orakpo, Biggers, Meriwhether, Clark and Porter.

I would be in favor of a switch to the 4-3 next year.  With our current front seven we'd really only develop a need for a strong side linebacker.

Rak and Kerrigan at end, Hatcher and Baker at tackle.  Murphy a backup end.  A combination of Jenkins, Geathers, Kearse, Neild backup at the other tackles and other end.  Letting Cofield and Bowen go saves us a bunch of money

Riley at weakside linebacker, Robinson in the middle, backups Compton Heyward, Jordan

So I see we cut Crawford and Akeem Davis and add the LB Jackson Jeffcoat from the practice squad.  How does that add up?

they also cut Bolser.  Crawford and Davis go back to the PS and we try out someone for the last spot

The defense doesn't need a makeover, it needs a reliable secondary. A lot of ya'll are posting top 5 cuts and most of them are secondary players. I don't feel Haslett is the best option, but he's never had a secondary here in DC that would allow him to run the agressive style of defense he wants to run...

I would be in favor of a switch to the 4-3 next year.  With our current front seven we'd really only develop a need for a strong side linebacker.

Rak and Kerrigan at end, Hatcher and Baker at tackle.  Murphy a backup end.  A combination of Jenkins, Geathers, Kearse, Neild backup at the other tackles and other end.  Letting Cofield and Bowen go saves us a bunch of money

Riley at weakside linebacker, Robinson in the middle, backups Compton Heyward, Jordan

Any decent 4-3 coaches you'd have in mind?

Would Murphy translate to SLB? Then we'd have Murphy SLB KRob at MLB and PR at WLB.

I'd also Jenkins and Kerrigan at end. Rak has to go unless he play his tail off the rest of the season!

Any decent 4-3 coaches you'd have in mind?

Would Murphy translate to SLB? Then we'd have Murphy SLB KRob at MLB and PR at WLB.

I'd also Jenkins and Kerrigan at end. Rak has to go unless he play his tail off the rest of the season!

I don't follow coaches

no Rak does not have to go.  Rak is one of the prime examples I'm talking about when I say people are going around demanding greatness.  You can't franchise him again but you don't let him walk without trying to re-sign him.  And I've heard Murphy is fairly stiff as football players.  I think he's more suited for pass rush than coverage.

Archived