Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Couple of points on the Ref calls in the game

Havenless

I feel the same way about officiating as I do science & the burden of proof. If you have the technology available, & the means to provide it, then a decision to not employ such technology...whether through negligence, or intellectually...then you are by default, enabling the problem to persist. The only question that remains then is whether this is purposeful with malicious or nefarious intent, or simply to drum up drama & negative publicity?

To me...the longer these sports choose to sprinkle in technological advances, rather than fully implement a vastly superior, & near infallible product tells me specifically that they don't want to have a clean & fair product on the field as much as they want to maintain the image that this is happening. I have stopped watching/paying/participating in sports because of this (see:NCAA athletics) & current events swirling around my team specifically, as well as generally are forcing me to consider this more with the NFL.

Logic simply irrefutably posits that they must change the structure of officiating.

One thing I have thought about doing is what you have started 5 see spring up in soccer leagues around the world. There are people/blogists, much like PFF/PFT/ESPN/SCOUTS...etc. that will individually rate each referee's performance & give them grades & such. You can look up refs & see his bias against certain teams, his call tendencies. ..etc. THIS at least needs to happen in the NFL. You can't wishfully brush it away with prehistoric Neanderthal-esque logic, & political brow-beating tactics by making the infantile "only losers complain about the officiating!"

That's like saying: "only losers speak up about date rape."

After rewatching the game and seeing how often offensive linemen were literally hanging off the backs of Kerrigan, Hatcher, and Orakpo. if I was any one of them I'd be sure to grease up my game jersey with a nice nasty layer of the greasiest pork sausage i could find.

It is really unbelievable that NO REF saw it once and even when they replayed them with Aikman commenting on everything else, with the defender getting raped right there in slo mo with nothing else for Aikman to see he never even mentions it.

the Cox call baffles me as well. 
"Unabated to the QB" is exactly what that was.

Since when does a ref say "Oh, he just didn't hear it."

These refs aren't biased. They're incompetent, and that crew in particular. They throw flag after flag trying to 'gain control' of a game ..   they did it on the first drive on Philly's defense,, flag after flag. 35 yards in penalties to teach the defense who's boss. 

After that, the Redskins second series, not so much. Redskins first defensive snap,, you guessed it. Flag, Defensive holding. 

It's as if the refs now have a gameplan as to how they are going to call it ... rather than just let it unfold and enforce the rules as they occur.

Of course, given the fact that there are now SO many rules that there could be a flag thrown on probably three or four easy-to-see infractions on any given play in the NFL, maybe that is how it is. They just throw the flag and then get together to see who's got something they can call with it.

oo me! me!  umm. defensive touching! 5 yards! first down!

~Bang

Interesting how NFL today announces that the Baker block was actually a LEGAL block.  Yet everyone (refs, broadcasters etc.. etc..) were so quick to say how dirty it was.  Now its just a little blip in the news.  It has to be so frustrating as a coach/player to see things that you know are not illegal flagged.  Then something like what happened with Cox hitting Cousins is not even noticed. 

I have to wonder does Dan or Bruce rip into anyone during the week about missed calls, wrong calls etc.. etc. happens every week to us.  Do they simply just "turn in the tape" as Gibbs used to say with a note that says "hey wtf"… I would really like to know what if anything happens during the week as far as communication between this team and the NFL and head of officiating.

He should maybe have taklen up bowling, or he should have laid down after the interception to insure he would not be hit.

Cleanly.

his injury came from the fact he wass 330 lbs falling on his pelvis bone without anything breaking his impact.

The fact Sapp caused his launch is simply football. Every coach he ever had sonce his first Pop warner team has told him to keep his head on a swivel, and he did not.

The oldest cliché in football.. and it means to be on the lookout at all time4s because it's a violent game and there are 22 people out there hitting each other.

That hit on Foles was clean, except here in the age of two hand touch.

the game is becoming something that is not what i grew to love.

i hate to say it, but I've been losing interest in games that are not the redskins, and most of it is due the utter ridiculousness of the rulebooks and tyhe refs who mis-apply them week in and week out.

Games are swung nowadays on calls more than they ever were. I find myself turning games off when the refs get over-involved, and they are almost always over-involved.

So, the NFl can take it for that it's worth. They can continue to coddle players from playing football, and they will lose more fans than any Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson scandal will ever cost them. hard core fans, people who grew up with it in the age of the NFL.. as the game grew, it became ingrained to us.

Now, that game doesn't exist much anymore. Now, the guys who made the game into what it is.. could not play. the Hall ofv Fame is full of players who would not be allowed to play these days,, guys who modern fans would consider 'dirty".. how many references to Chuck Bednarik yesterday? Think he could play these days?

Not only NO, but HELL NO.

Picture of him standing over dead Frank Gifford.. personal foul, 15 yards. ,, but it's glorified on TV while behind it, the game is so different that announcers are crying for flags, and determining what is and what is not necessary roughness.

(I thought Joe Buck was going to burst into tears over the flag that DeSean Jackson drew when he shoved the guy in the first qtr.. Buck has no clue that the "Unnecessary roughness" was the Eagles guy slamming into Jackson's bum shoulder after he was already down, and frankly, i don't know how he could NOT know it. It's aggravating sitting there seeing something so blatant and listening to him whine about it so incorrectly. ... I'll give it to the ref there,, he got that one right... but you'd never know it listening to Buck.. that poor little pansy spent the rest of the game pulling his thong out of his ass over that. Announcers crying for fines and penalties is outrageous,, shut the hell up and describe the action,, suggesting fines to the league is not your job)

the rules are out of control, and while fans have ALWAYS complained about bad calls, the rules were rarely at issue. .

now bad calls stem from bad rules every single game. Way way way way way too many rules. trying to legislate every possible problem. Ultimately, the mis-application of or over-abundance of rules and refs is deciding games way more often than it ever ever should.

Football is a simple game.

And now it's getting almost impossible to play it the way it was meant to be played.

~Bang

just to clear my point, I was only clarifying the incident that had been referred to several times but people did not know who it was that Warren Sapp had hit.

that being said, I do believe that the Warren Sapp hit on Chad Clifton was absolutely dirty if not illegal. However bakers hit on Nick Foles was completely legal and near the play whereas the Warren Sapp hit was not

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/09/23/baker-wont-be-suspended-nfl-rules-his-hit-on-foles-was-legal/

the league finally got something right!

There has never been a rule were one knee = 2 feet. WOW just WOW

I saw a play when the WR came down with 1 ft in the endzone and the other on top of the DB's foot. Not a catch by rule.

When a knee is down, the play is dead at that exact moment (assuming he was touched), if that is in bounds, then the play ended in bounds.....pretty simple.

Yeah the flag was for the hit, the ejection was because during the brawl, Baker grabbed a hold of 71's  facemask and was dragging him to the ground (or trying to) after 71 punched him.

If not for the brawl it would have simply been a 15 yard penalty.

So, yeah the play was legal.

just to clear my point, I was only clarifying the incident that had been referred to several times but people did not know who it was that Warren Sapp had hit.

that being said, I do believe that the Warren Sapp hit on Chad Clifton was absolutely dirty if not illegal. However bakers hit on Nick Foles was completely legal and near the play whereas the Warren Sapp hit was not

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/09/23/baker-wont-be-suspended-nfl-rules-his-hit-on-foles-was-legal/

the league finally got something right!

I figured, but i was glad you brought it up.

I think "dirty" is a sliding scale.. Baker's hit was more dirty than the one Sapp leveled, and the only reason i make a distinction is because Sapp and Clifton had many a day brawling it out in the trenches, and I'm sure there was some payback in the hit for something deserved somewhere down the line. not the injury, mind you, but the chance to give him a good shot. Line play gets ugly, and most of it we never know about. 

~Bang

I figured, but i was glad you brought it up.

I think "dirty" is a sliding scale.. Baker's hit was more dirty than the one Sapp leveled, and the only reason i make a distinction is because Sapp and Clifton had many a day brawling it out in the trenches, and I'm sure there was some payback in the hit for something deserved somewhere down the line. not the injury, mind you, but the chance to give him a good shot. Line play gets ugly, and most of it we never know about. 

~Bang

im not sure if you misspoke, but i think sapps hit was dirty all day long. 

nowhere near the play, helmet to helmet, 'launching', possibly even a blindside.....

its as dirty a hit as ive seen in the nfl. 

i would not equate bakers hit with sapps.

After rewatching the game and seeing how often offensive linemen were literally hanging off the backs of Kerrigan, Hatcher, and Orakpo. if I was any one of them I'd be sure to grease up my game jersey with a nice nasty layer of the greasiest pork sausage i could find.

You may be on to something.

Archived