Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin; nfl-loses-corporate-partner-for-breast-cancer-awareness

SWFLSkins

It seems that of the toxicity of Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson has finally seeped its way into the NFL at large. According to CBS Sports, manufacturing behemoth Procter & Gamble has pulled out of an upcoming partnership with the NFL for Breast Cancer Awareness Week.

vrl427372od0kkapqny6.jpg

No One In The NFL Can Do Anything Right

Adrian Peterson became toxic. Radisson and Catholic Charities jumped ship, he got dropped by…Read more

The deal was apparently scuttled because of all the recent off-field issues that have plagued the NFL in recent weeks. The partnership was supposed to be a fairly visible one, too, involving players from each of the NFL's 32 teams.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-loses-corporate-partner-for-breast-cancer-awareness-1636835000

Well that's one way to format a thread title...

NOt sure it is real? I changed it, I don't know, really, thought it was breaking news, but I don't see it anywhere else? 

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/09/nfl-loses-sponsor-for-breast-cancer-awareness-month/

The NFL’s relationship with their corporate sponsors is beginning to hit a little turbulence. The NFL has lost its first sponsor for their Breast Cancer Initiative Month, Proctor & Gamble, according to Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk. Proctor & Gamble was suppose to sponsor pink mouth guards for the players to wear during the moth of October, but after careful consideration in light of all of the NFL’s recent issues, they have decided to cancel the mouth guards, but to still donate the money. The NFL is on the verge of a real identity crisis coming up in October. The league still wants to appeal to their female fan demographic by showing their solidarity when it comes to breast cancer awareness, but this may conflict with how they have handled other female-centric issues such as domestic violence. It would be a shame if valuable research fundraising is lost because of the NFL’s lack of awareness.

NFL Loses Corporate Partner For Breast Cancer Awareness Week

Tom Ley Profile
18kyqts7ykyftjpg.jpg
Tom Ley
Filed to: NFL

Today 12:47pm-------------

Still lost on this and when P&G pulled out?  But that is a big sponsor. 

So they're still donating money, but cancelling the pink mouth guards...

big deal

It's Proctor and Gamble and it is more than mouthguards. 

The campaign was to involve multiple players on each of the NFL's 32 teams with one player from each team designated as official "ambassadors" of the campaign. Players would have worn pink mouthguards and engaged in social media on a variety of platforms as part of the deal, but those players were recently informed the expansive program has been scrapped.

It's Proctor and Gamble and it is more than mouthguards. 

The campaign was to involve multiple players on each of the NFL's 32 teams with one player from each team designated as official "ambassadors" of the campaign. Players would have worn pink mouthguards and engaged in social media on a variety of platforms as part of the deal, but those players were recently informed the expansive program has been scrapped.

ambassadors... engaging in social media... still... no big deal.

Lotta money in the breast-cancer racket and it's getting a bit scammy.

http://www.alternet.org/story/154010/i_will_not_be_pinkwashed%3A_komen's_race_is_for_money,_not_cure

wow, smdh!

What do we see? Note the dates of employment for some of the lesser-paid employees. Gary Dicovitsky, VP Development, for example, was paid $95,291 (plus $2,746) only from 10/08 to 3/09. Gary must have gotten a promotion since then, though. Because while it still lists his position as VP Development from 10/08 – 3/09, his salary from 2009 was $417,109. Oh, plus $18,091 in change.

I don’t know about you, but I would never expect directors of a charitable “non-profit” organization to make more than most doctors, lawyers, or even politicians. Their CEO and president, Hala G. Moddelmog, made $531,924, plus $26,683 in change. That's more than President Obama makes.

Here's another screenshot from  2009 Form 990, straight from Komen.org. Yup, more of the same. Curiously, these were the only employees listed in this type of form, similar to the 2008 one. Other employees were not listed with their position title. 

In all, about 11% of Susan G. Komen for the Cure’s annual revenue goes toward employee salaries. And that adds up to a lot of money. But what about the rest?

The pink campaign irritates the crap out of me TBH, for many reasons.  But I suppose it is fitting that the NFL & Pink team up together.  They match pretty well.

I'm glad it irritates the crap out of you.  Having a mother who had breast cancer and an aunt who also had it, seeing NFL players on the field with pink equipment is VERY touching to them.  My moms favorite NFL player is RG3 because it was very overwhelming for her to see him wearing a pink sleeve.  Get over it.

I'm glad it irritates the crap out of you.  Having a mother who had breast cancer and an aunt who also had it, seeing NFL players on the field with pink equipment is VERY touching to them.  My moms favorite NFL player is RG3 because it was very overwhelming for her to see him wearing a pink sleeve.  Get over it.

it's not the cause, it's the scheme behind that cause that should concern us all. 

I have as well.  Obviously arguing about my reasons won't do any good (see post above this), but I truly hope your mother & aunt are OK.

It irritates me as well...

It also in no way is reflective of my opinion (and his too) of breast cancer, breast cancer awareness, or breast cancer survivors.

Not a black/white issue. Dont try to make it one

Who is making it one?  You are irritated that NFL players go out and support breast cancer by wearing pink equipment?  You said so yourself stop trying to change the topic.  Nobody is forced into doing so, plenty of players don't wear the pink.  Does it irritate you when Deangelo Williams takes off his helmet and his hair is dyed pink in support of his mother?  Where the money goes, how it is sorted is a whole different issue.  Your response was in response to "Does this mean we won't see pink equipment anymore"......Sureeeee hope not.

Who is making it one?  

You are, by insinuating that he should somehow be ashamed. But I get it...."Yay we're all wearing pink! Go Breast Cancer Awareness!" = Good human being, and "Man all that excess pink is a real eyesore/ this campaign is a little shady if you ask me" = Bad person! Bad bad! Yeah.... Give me a break

You are irritated that NFL players go out and support breast cancer by wearing pink equipment?  

If you actually bothered to read my posts in this thread thoroughly, you'd find your answer.... But no, I'm only irritated by the excess equipment.

You said so yourself stop trying to change the topic.  

Which topic? The " Man all this pink equipment is giving me a headache" topic? Or the "This campaign smells funny" topic. Regardless of whatever topic you are going on about, the one I'm on is the one in which I replied to you about.

Does it irritate you when Deangelo Williams takes off his helmet and his hair is dyed pink in support of his mother? 

Not really. He did that of his own accord, and it wasn't in excess, meaning mouthpiece, arm bands/sleeves, socks, cleats, towels, etc. I have no problem with players wanting to pay tribute to their deceased loved ones.

Where the money goes, how it is sorted is a whole different issue. 

You're right, which is why I didnt really bring it up. Your post was mainly about the equipment, which is why I replied to you

Your response was in response to "Does this mean we won't see pink equipment anymore"......Sureeeee hope not

Right again. And I hope we don't  :)

Archived