Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: STATEMENT BY WASHINGTON REDSKINS OWNER DAN SNYDER

TK

For Immediate Release

September 13, 2014

STATEMENT BY WASHINGTON REDSKINS OWNER DAN SNYDER:

“Roger Goodell has always had the best interests of football at heart, both on and off the field. We are fortunate to have him as our Commissioner. The entire Washington Redskins organization strongly endorses his efforts to eradicate domestic abuse and the independent investigation into the Ray Rice assault.”

Yes - he always does what's in the 'best interests of the NFL' Mr. Snyder - but that doesn't justify apparently trying to sweep a criminal act under the rug to keep the NFL out of the headlines. Goodell is accountable for his highly questionable decisions in this situation. He doesn't need the owners trying to sway what they must view as mindless fans and we don't need PR trying to tell fans how to view the whole sad episode. Some things are more important than PR and someone keeping their job. Taking a stand against domestic violence is one of them. 

Every owner has come out with a similar statement

Edit: I should have said that better. Only a handful have actually released statements, not all. However the link below claims that Roger will have overwhelming support from all owners.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24705476/roger-goodell-still-has-strong-support-from-nfl-owners

Every owner has come out with a similar statement

Patently false. A quick internet search verifies that very few owners have issued a formal statement of support for Goodell in regard to this matter, at this time.

I can only find statements of support by Snyder, Khan and a few others.

I know for fact that Jeffrey Lurie has had absolutely no comment on this matter.

I'm not saying that the rest will not eventually follow suit, but to state anything otherwise, at this time anyway, is simply not true,

Patently false. A quick internet search verifies that very few owners have issued a formal statement of support for Goodell in regard to this matter, at this time.

I know for fact that Jeffrey Lurie has had absolutely no comment on this matter.

How badly does he want a SB in Philly? 

I'm not saying that the rest will not eventually follow suit, but to state anything otherwise, at this time anyway, is simply not true,

Report: Roger Goodell still has strong support from NFL owners

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has strong support among influential ownership groups, and barring overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing in the Ray Rice scandal that's unlikely to change.

What ownership and management officials are saying privately match the public comments of several organizations who back the commissioner.

Sources said their ownership groups have loyalty to Goodell and trust in him. In the words of one it would require an investigation to reveal that Goodell was "outright lying" about having watched the videotape of Rice punching his fiancée or having actively participated in a cover-up for them to foresee a scenario in which Goodell was fired.

"They're standing by him, across the board," said one league source who had spoken to executive on several clubs about the ongoing matter. "You haven't seen one owner come out questioning him. Their instinct is to defend him, and it's going to take quite a bit to change that."

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24705476/roger-goodell-still-has-strong-support-from-nfl-owners

I wonder if Snyder is sticking to Goodell because he is still ok with the team name?

My first thought was that it would be pretty ****ty of Snyder to bail on Goodell given the support that the League Office has shown for the team name

And besides, no reason to believe that Snyder doesn't support Goodell 100 percent on recent issues

That's called a 'sucker's choice' zoony. Those aren't the only two options. The smart and correct move would be to remain silent and let the process play itself out. The reason I react so strongly to this kind of thing is because it looks to me like the NFL is STILL trying to 'PR' it's way out of a tight spot. They just don't get it. Even if somehow, unbelievably, the NFL's top leadership never saw the video of Ray Rice knocking a woman unconscious, it's clear they knew that's what happened. They totally blew their response to it. And they need to own up to it. Law enforcement also has some explaining to do - given that Ray Rice received treatment a recent news story states less than 1% of domestic violence perpetrators receive. I wonder why that is?

Hmm...that statement doesn't really commit to Goodell.They support his efforts, and the independent investigation into his actions. If the independent investigation, though, brings something damaging to light, it's incredibly easy for the Skins to say that while they still support the efforts to "eradicate domestic abuse", they also now have more information on his actions and support his 'retirement' (cuz you know Goodell won't be fired, he'll be allowed to retire for the 'good of the league' or whatever).

For the meantime, though, they give a public appearance of support. Probably speaks more to stuff behind the scenes than anything.

I'd be shocked if Goodell goes anywhere.  99% of the time, he does his job (which is to do exactly what the owners tell him to do).  He's a patsy for the owners, in the end, their scapegoat in case they need one.  

The guy SHOULD lose his job, but he won't.  Just imagine if this were a federal position.  He'd have been fired in a heartbeat over any one of these issues.

Sources said their ownership groups have loyalty to Goodell and trust in him. In the words of one it would require an investigation to reveal that Goodell was "outright lying" about having watched the videotape of Rice punching his fiancée or having actively participated in a cover-up for them to foresee a scenario in which Goodell was fired.

I could swear This Almost sounds like someone saying "would someone please prove he knew about it so we can fire him"

It's obviously all about the money. Goodell has excelled at making the owners ridiculous amounts of cash, more so than any other commissioner in NFL history.

It would probably take video evidence of Goodell himself KO'ing Rice's wife for the owners to take any action against him, and even then you would hear some trying to justify it in some way.

I'm sorry, but nobody cares about Laurie or the Eagles. Last time I checked, this was a Redskins website. I don't care if Laurie cheats on his wife or plays in traffic.

Posted this in another thread. Snyder is a marketing guy. There's a reason. Not sure what it is. But there is a reason. Could be name related.

Yeah, Snyder is displaying the same marketing acumen here that drove Six Flags into Chapter 11. Well played Dan.

After being royally screwed by Goodell's interpretation of the "spirit of the cap" Snyder should never have written this.  He's insulting and belittling his own team by doing so.  Goodell clearly and without integrity broke the spirit of the sportsmanship and by collusion US law.

I think the whole collusion case might have something to do with it also. Seeing as a court recently overturned a previous ruling and is allowing it to go into the next step, the last thing the NFL would want is a pissed off Goodell who was at the heart of that fiasco having an ax to grind with them. He could blow it all up with his honest testimony.

A wiser statement, you will rarely see.

Making the "smart and correct move" does not seem to be Dan Snyder's usual course of action, though.

Buzz off, troll. No one care what an Eagles fan thinks. Why are hanging around this board constantly anyway? Banned off the Eagles board?

Archived