Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adrian Peterson indicted on child abuse via TMZ

Mocountyskins

they can be though - studies are bs for the most part.  They aren't widespread enough typically.  Most studies are done in larger metropolitan areas or in the 'slums' which results in skewed results.  It doesn't matter the study, if people grow up in a rough area, the discipline they receive has no effect because of the culture around them (as such in inner cities, lower poverty areas).  If you do the same study in a more rural area that doesn't have the background of the previous then you will find a more successful outcome.

Studies in this area of study are far from BS. Some have used as many as 10,000 or more families in their study that are selected to give a statistically accurate representation (geography, socio-economic, race, etc.) of the country. The way parents behave toward their kid(s) has a tremendous impact on how they will turn out. Poverty is not limited to the inner cities, it's out in the sticks too. 

Idk why anyone would be mad at TMZ. I find the idea of "journalists" or "media" holding stories or facts to protect the interest of a person or group incredibly offensive

Its not the medias job to make judgment calls on what to report or not to report. Their job is to report the information they have.

My dad is Italian and from personal experience Italian kids got it much worse than anyone else lol. A switch would've been a cakewalk for me but still I don't hold anything against my father for disciplining me. He did what he had to do and I feel like I turned out a better person because of it. Unless it's something outrageous than people should really mind their own business.

Ahh the wooden spoon across the back of your legs lol...I can still feel it now just thinking about it.

beat your kids, not your wife!

If you are inclined to discipline your child in this manner a swift swat on the butt is about all you need to get a 4 yr olds attention. Beating until bloody with a stick is abuse.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The photos and report are pretty ugly. Uglier than the Rice video? Jason La Confora is calling for a lifetime ban on Twitter already. Rice in some ways, I think, was deemed not worth the heat of trying to keep him on the team. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze. The same can't be said for arguably the best RB in the league.

he should be suspended for life for hitting a child with a stick there

Ain't no way you hit a child in the "jewels" 

No way

And yes I'm obviously being hyperbolic but the point stands, no parent should hit their child in the jewels 

I'm not saying don't discipline nobody

Spank them on the butt

But there are some places you don't hit and that's one of them

I got beat a few times. I don't ever think anything was overboard. Looking back on it, it was needed a few times. Every once in a while some kids need a ass whooping.

Man, I had to go out in the yard and get a switch that was to be used to whup my ass! 

HTTR!

I was beat as a kid by my very Nigerian parents. But I never got beat to the point that I had welts and scares and marks on me. WHat im saying is my parents beat me but never to an extreme point.

I need more facts for this but going by the pictures, this looks bad for Adrian Peterson.

A whooping room?  Is that like a dungeon for kids?

From a link posted in the other thread in the Around the NFL section.

He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.

60 years ago, men regularly "disciplined" their wives.  Read these responses from a newspaper back then.  They make you cringe.

mzATuon.jpg

It is possible that 60 years from now, people living then will feel the same way when they read how people in 2014 thought it was appropriate to give a whooping to their children.  

Or maybe not.  No way to be sure. 

As a father of two this just makes me sick. Forget about the NFL punishment. This man deserves some serious prison time.

I googled around a little. It looks like his charge, Injury to a child (a felony), brings a 6 month to 2 year sentence.

EDIT: Or maybe it is 2-10 years. There are a couple of different felony levels.

I thought this was a good encompassing wrapup of the story so far (excluding the additional comments from the 4 yr old):

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

Apparently this investigation has been going on for quite some time (this is the second appearance before a grand jury).

My early prediction: he pleads to a misdemeanor over the next few weeks and his "suspension" is commuted for time already spent deactivated.

I do not talk to babies like most people. I talk to them like small people. EDIT: (I hate when this happens, I meant to add on baby talk type of stuff to an absurd point. Yes, I do realize I messed that up. )

This is a teaching process.

My niece can have a full conversation with a typical adult. When she was 3 she was an amazing child, table manners and all.

When I say something she does not understand at this age (9) ...I take the opportunity to teach.

Language, verbage, slang, history, etc. Don't get me wrong, we don't talk politics. I feel pretty confident that she could talk sports with many people we come across daily.

I have no problem with a little spanking or even a yelling (yet, I am not one to yell, raising my voice or softening my voice typically gets the point across). I simply do not see a reason to beat a child. That is crazy...then comes in the variable. Kids will test you...that is a certainty, but you are the adult. Act like one. This is not a situation of protecting a child and I can not imagine for an instance what this child could have done to get that.

Then again I have no idea of the situation (I admit I have not read the entire thread)

Small children grow and learn so quickly. As an adult it is your responsibility to teach them as they go through this process.

Sometimes we have to do that with adults.

Archived