Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

.myfoxhouston.com;Vikings star RB Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case

SWFLSkins

That was like last year, some dude who either thought the kid was his and got angry or simply lost his temper, killed Adrian Peterson's biological son.  But he had just found out the kid existed so had no real attachment to him.

That's it. Thanks.

My 1st reaction was that this was an overreaction because I support spanking in reasonable fashion,   Then I read this....I will now go sit down and shut up. If these accounts are true it went too far....WAY too far.  AP may have been raised that way, and he may be otherwise a good dude...but this, this is bad.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

Don't wager while you are on pain killers. 

I'm tweeting this. 

Retweeted by Jason La Canfora

It should be understood that the photographs that some have published & I have possession of were taken at least a week after incident.

Sounds like bad news Bears for Adrian Peterson if this is true.  My one disagreement with the banned for life aspect is this:

Peterson, unlike Vick, seems to stand his ground (even during the steps of the investigation) as to how he disciplines and why and expressed regret about aspects of the actions he took.  Vick is still in the league after engaging in numerous felonious activities without even getting into the morality of dog fighting. And unlike sadistically taking part and betting on animals killing each other and possibly taking family pets as "practice," Peterson seems to think he's meting out proper discipline.

People on this board won't like it, but this is much more of a cultural divide on this than dogfighting and more defensible in court. There's no reason that Peterson can't go to counseling, work with a social worker for an extended period of time, and rejoin the league, at least according to the precedent the league has put down.

If these accounts are true it went too far....WAY too far.  AP may have been raised that way, and he may be otherwise a good dude...but this, this is bad.

I'm not saying I approve of this behavior but I understand its origins and I don't think it necessarily comes from the same intention or psychological place as Ray Rice or a lot of other forms of violence.

EDIT: that's my point.  I don't think his actions should merit a lifetime ban because I don't think they necessarily come from a malevolent or even degenerate place.  Which is, to a degree, why he was incredulous that it was a police matter.  Punishment? yes.  Corrective remedies(For his own sake, not for his 'brand' or for "the Shield")? Yes.  lifetime ban? It's absurd that a league that celebrated Ray Lewis would ban Adrian Peterson for this. 

Sounds like bad news Bears for Adrian Peterson if this is true.  My one disagreement with the banned for life aspect is this:

People on this board won't like it, but this is much more of a cultural divide on this than dogfighting and more defensible in court. There's no reason that Peterson can't go to counseling, work with a social worker for an extended period of time, and rejoin the league, at least according to the precedent the league has put down.

I'm not saying I approve of this behavior but I understand its origins and I don't think it necessarily comes from the same intention or psychological place as Ray Rice or a lot of other forms of violence.  

Well, in the court of public opinion he is done, in the court system, cultural difference won't matter either. Beatings to the point of multiple marks on a four year old is indefensible. His attorney knows this and will try and wiggle an out of court settlement IMO, including probation and treatment. As for the NFL, wow, he may be done, the tide is not looking good, there is a **** storm of attention right now and that won't bode well for his punishment, again IMO. 

As for the lifetime ban, I actually agree that both he and Rice should be allowed to rehab and reapply to play. Rice going from 2 games to a lifetime is a knee jerk of the NFL for getting in wrong and trying to save face.

Ghost I agree with you in both his intention and taking lifetime ban off the table HOWEVER this couldn't have come up at a worse time for the league and they have no choice but to be pretty severe with this IMO.   They just have to now, most people will not make the detached logical distinctions between the 2 incidents....they just won't.  I think an indefinite suspension with no possibility to even appeal until a year has passed is the lightest they can levy.

I'm confused, because I've read different reports about the child's age. Not that the age changes some of the allegations, but it would be nice to know a simple fact like that for sure.

I'll say this, every child is different and responds to different types of discipline.  I think spanking, not in the leaving marks for days or excessive hitting or beating, but a good old fashion swat on the butt is not only okay in some situations, but necessary for some children to learn a lesson.  However, if these accounts and pictures are true, that is completely uncalled for regardless if we're talking about a four year old or an 11 year old.  All Day might be All Done now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Reports of his plea deal - if true, what an awful job by the legal system. He will get no jail time, a $2000 fine, 80 hours community service, and no mention of minor- or family violence in the charge.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/04/peterson-will-plead-no-contest/

They were probably worried that he'd be acquitted. Didn't they have trouble getting an indictment?

They were probably worried that he'd be acquitted. Didn't they have trouble getting an indictment?

Yes, for a felony charge. Point is, he beat the sheet out of his kids. There are pictures from a hospital visit, and texts from him to the mom. Whether he did it is beyond a reasonable doubt.

I understand hesitation when considering it only takes 1 of 12 to say "I believe in this type of punishment", but here's the thing. HE BEAT HIS KID, STONE COLD SOBER, a significant amount of time after the incident (not a heat of the moment issue)... And he isn't going to spend one day in jail for it. Total BS in my book.

Thank God he's not a Redskin. I honestly don't think I could follow and support the team while he was on it. I wonder how the Vikings play this, if they bring him back.

Is that Vikings message board still closed? (For those who don't know, fanboard, the owners closed it down over the Vikings keeping Peterson.)

Archived