Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive Quick Takes - Week One vs. Houston

KDawg

1. We never moved Rak or Kerrigan around much. Rak stayed on the defensive right, Kerrigan stayed on the defensive left.

2. In the first half, Rak had just ONE pass rush. He was often aligned over #2 to trips his way and was in coverage on every pass attempt that he was in the game for save once. The pass rush was when he was aligned as a DE in the speed package with Kerrigan and Murphy to the left, Hatcher and Rak to the right. He rushed on a few rush attempts.

3. In the first half, Kerrigan wasn't in pass coverage more than once. I want to say zero, but I may have missed one. He came on the majority of passing situations.

4. Hatcher's sack came from the nose tackle position. 

5. Geathers played some left LDE, as did Jenkins. Baker played both the left and the right.

6. In the 2nd half, we rushed Rak more often, and we even used stunts to switch responsibilities with the DE. Kerrigan was the rush backer, though. I didn't see him in coverage more than once or twice. 

7. Keenan Robinson seems to be all over the field. I can't speak for his assignments being covered, as I'm not sure what responsibilities the DL/LBs had on the quick watch through here (I'd need All 22 and even then it would be an educated guess), but he seems like he's a smart, instinctual player. Loved how he pulled Hall away from trouble on the flag, too.

8. Perry Riley is an excellent pass rusher. Love when he blitzes. He seems to be more of a sure tackler as well this year.

9. Murphy played like a rookie. Didn't show a huge arsenal of pass rush moves. When in the game for Rak and blitzing off the edge on at least one occasion he buried his head and tried to rush head first into the Texans' LT. You're not going to win many battles like that. Off balance, weight too far forward and you have no where to go.

10. Ryan Clark was excellent in the run game, and was a pretty sure tackler in general. Major upgrade for us at that position. 

11. On one play, Rak blitzed while aligned over #2 to the field in a 2x2 set. Bringing him from that kind of distance isn't likely to get him home. This was the touchdown pass, which was thrown away from Rak's side where Rambo missed the tackle/assignment.

Thoughts:

We used Orakpo entirely too often in coverage in the first half. He didn't have many opportunities, and although I didn't "count" the number of times he rushed vs. dropped in coverage, I'd say 50/50 is an accurate assessment. Kerrigan rushed on nearly 100% of the pass plays. 

Jason Hatcher was worth the contract. His versatility was huge for us. 

I like our ILBs. They didn't "stand out", but they didn't seem to miss many tackles (remember, I watched this quick, they may have! But I didn't see any glaring ones).

I'd like to see Hatcher, Cofield, Jenkins and Baker move around the DL more often. Hatcher lined up at nose and got a sack. We need to keep them moving around a bit. I'd also like to see Rak and Kerrigan changing sides a bit, but if they're going to make Kerrigan the rush backer, keeping him on the defensive left/offensive right makes sense. The right tackle is technically the worse of the two in pass pro.

The speed package is nice (Primarily Kerrigan at LDE, Murphy as stand up LLB, Hatcher as RDT and Rak as RDE) but Murphy is going to have to bring some thunder. To be honest, I almost like Riley more in that role as of this moment. I really think he's underrated as a pass rusher.

The nickel package is solid.

We played a lot of cover 3 and 3-seam type stuff.

I was harsh on Rak for his "MIA" status, but we really need to re-think how we're using him, too. For the money he's getting I wish he would have made more of his opportunities, but I guess I don't understand what we're trying to accomplish with him. If we were going to use him in this role, I don't understand why we paid the money we did instead of keeping Rob Jackson to do the same thing for peanuts and using Rak's money to shore up other positions.

I don't pretend to know better than Haslett or our defensive staff. They, just like Gruden, are professionals and who am I? These are outsider views, and let's face facts: No one on the outside knows what happens behind the meeting room doors or on the practice field. They obviously have reasons for doing the things that they are doing and I'll leave that stuff to them. Take these opinions for what they are: Merely observations by a guy on his computer.

EDIT: Forgot to say: I think our defense played pretty damn well all in all. I know given some of my comments that doesn't seem like it was the take away I had, but I was incredibly happy with the effort our D gave. They allowed 7 points, basically. We'll say 10. You should be able to win while doing that.

Haven't had a chance to actually go back & watch the tape yet either. That said, going from a sleep deprived memory here's a few things that I remember from watching from Up High. We were high enough up (almost got some of us dizzy) & the third row back, so the view was limited due to the glass not going all the way up, but rather up into a wall. And that made it to where once you opened a laptop screen up in front of you, the view was even more obstructed. Many times I had to look around my screen to see the field.

Anyways, I don't recall hearing Rak's name being called more then once, if at all.

I do recall hearing Keenan Robinson's name being called. A lot. :)

On the TD where Rambo couldn't make a tackle, the passing lane there was more like the parting of the Red Sea. Just an obnoxious amount of green field from the QB to the WR & 20 yards on both sides of the ball in it's arc. Then again, you don't get pissed at Rambo if ol beard face isn't sitting back there with time to bake a cake & then ice that sum**** & then make the throw. (swig of water of the passing beard face man) 

I'll give Has this much. The D was better then last year. That said, this D still needs Merriweather out there. At least we get him back for Philly. 

Oh, & remember when we traded back to pick Kerrigan, & with the next pick the Texans took JJ Watt. But if it makes you feel better, we'd most likely use him wrong too. :D

Maybe they're playing a little cya for the 2nd round pick and also setting up rak up for his exit?

at the end of the season they can point at him and say look, he didn't do much, not worth the money.. aren't we geniuses for drafting Murphy with our first pick this year?

or is it too early for conspiracy theories?

(*sarcasm for those who are sure to complain)

IMO, the defensive MVPs were Keenan Robinson and Ryan Clark.  Keenan was all over the field and Ryan was laying wood.

I did not like the play of D. Hall.  He played off too much and it led to a couple of easy first downs.  Of course, Rambo made the defensive play of the day on that long TD...not! 

Overall, the defense deserved to get a W. 

1. We never moved Rak or Kerrigan around much. Rak stayed on the defensive right, Kerrigan stayed on the defensive left.

2. In the first half, Rak had just ONE pass rush. He was often aligned over #2 to trips his way and was in coverage on every pass attempt that he was in the game for save once. The pass rush was when he was aligned as a DE in the speed package with Kerrigan and Murphy to the left, Hatcher and Rak to the right. He rushed on a few rush attempts.

6. In the 2nd half, we rushed Rak more often, and we even used stunts to switch responsibilities with the DE. Kerrigan was the rush backer, though. I didn't see him in coverage more than once or twice.

11. On one play, Rak blitzed while aligned over #2 to the field in a 2x2 set. Bringing him from that kind of distance isn't likely to get him home. This was the touchdown pass, which was thrown away from Rak's side where Rambo missed the tackle/assignment.

Thoughts:

We used Orakpo entirely too often in coverage in the first half. He didn't have many opportunities, and although I didn't "count" the number of times he rushed vs. dropped in coverage, I'd say 50/50 is an accurate assessment. Kerrigan rushed on nearly 100% of the pass plays.

Ouch, seems like a misuse of personnel.  I felt like Haslett's full deflection of blame to Shanahan was undeserved.  But then I started getting hyped about the ways we'd be using Murphy, Orakpo, and Kerrigan.  Early results have me disappointed, and afraid of Haslett...again.

When does All-22 get released?  I've got NFL Rewind and was curious how youngsters like Ryan Grant, Bashaud Breeland, etc looked.  As well as the development of Amerson.

RE: Orakpo

O'Brien vs Haslett advantage O'Brien

He knew our formational tendencies and forced Rak to cover and Haslett never adjusted.

RE: Murphy

Is it my bias against the Murphy selection or does it seem that they are gifting him reps?

I would rather see a DL in there in or Riley, like you suggested. Murph doesn't seem like the type of player to make an impact in that role right now.

RE: Clark/Rambo

He had a couple of nice tackles that I want see on sig.

Ryan missed some tackles here or there but only a couple were 'bad' misses. It seemed like he was playing in the box a lot. My guess is because better to move Clark out of position to SS then Rambo. I just wish Clark could have ended up on Hopkins, lol.

I would still like to see the FO pick up Chris Clemons S. And I look forward to Duke out there at SS.

Archived