Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

HoustonHeader_zps6c5f91b6.gif

Welcome to Opening Day of the 2015 NFL Season

LIVE from NRG Stadium.

Robert Griffin III returns to his home state of Texas with first year Head Coach Jay Gruden. The Redskins bring an expected explosive speedy offense up against first year Head Coach Bill O'Brien's speed nasty Texans defense. This should be an interesting chess match for several reasons.

I want to give the Redskins the edge on Offense except I have concerns with the fact that the Offense couldn't get a touchdown in any of their snaps during the Pre Season. Even in the dress rehearsal Week 3 game against the Ravens, the offense looked bad with RG3 missing a wide open Reed down field & attempted the hero complex-ish tuck n run. Plus, the Texans are a hot mess at quarterback.

Defensively, I'm giving the Texans the clear edge here with a dominant pass rush & speed against our still questionable O-Line (Chester, Polumbus). I almost expect both coach's to try to establish the run. Especially with this quote from Gruden: “Obviously the strength of our football team at this moment would be – I would say – our running game, We have to continue to work on that and work on handing that ball off and being good at something, really good at something and I think we are pretty good in the running game.” Though with Gruden, I can see him wanting to take a shot deep on the first possession.

thisseason_zps38870d36.gif

• The Redskins finishing in the Top 5 in the NFL in rushing offense for a third consecutive season for the first time since 1983-85. The Redskins finished No. 1 in rushing offense in 2012 and No. 5 in rushing offense in 2013.
• The Redskins finishing in the Top 10 in the NFL in total offense for a third consecutive season for the first time since doing so across six straight seasons from 1986-91. The Redskins finished No. 5 in total of- fense in 2012 and No. 9 in total offense in 2013.
• The Redskins’ offense eclipsing 6,000 total yards for the second time in three seasons and for the fourth time in team history. The Redskins gained 6,131 yards in 2012 and fell only 85 yards shy of meeting the 6,000-yard threshold in 2013 (5,915).
• The following players appearing in enough games to reach 100 career regular season games: Pierre Garçon (16), DeSean Jackson (13), Akeem Jordan(2), Brandon Meriweather (11) and Tyler Polumbus (13).
• Ryan Clark starting 13 games to reach 150 career regular season starts.
• Barry Cofield extending his streak of 80 consecutive starts, the most among active NFL defensive tackles.
• Pierre Garçon can become the first player since Sterling Sharpe (1992-93) to lead the NFL in receptions in consecutive seasons.
• Robert Griffin III can become the fourth player in NFL history to throw for 3,000 yards in each of his first three seasons, joining Peyton Manning, Andy Dalton and Cam Newton.
• Robert Griffin III (36) recording three passing touchdowns to tie Jay Schroeder for 10th-most in Redskins history (39).
• Griffin III (1,304) rushing for 511 yards to match Joe Theismann’s team record for career rushing yards by a quarterback (1,815).
• Griffin III improving upon his seven career rushing touchdowns to move up the Redskins’ record books for rushing touchdowns by a quar- terback (1. Joe Theismann, 17; 2. Sonny Jurgensen, 10; 3. Sammy Baugh, 9; T4. Eddie LeBaron, Mark Rypien and Norm Snead, 8).
• Griffin III (849) attempting 151 passes to become the 11th quar- terback in team history to attempt 1,000 passes with the Redskins (Joe Theismann, Sonny Jurgensen, Sammy Baugh, Mark Rypien, Billy Kilm- er, Jason Campbell, Gus Frerotte, Eddie LeBaron, Norm Snead and Jay Schroeder).

• Morris (20) chasing Nos. 10 Andy Farkas and Gerald Riggs (21), No. 9 Don Bosseler (22), No. 8 Cliff Battles (23), No. 7 Earnest Byner (25) and No. 6 George Rogers (31) on the team’s all-time leaderboard for rushing touchdowns.
• Morris becoming only the fourth player in Redskins history to post three career 1,000-yard rushing seasons with Washington (Clinton Por- tis, 4; John Riggins, 4; Stephen Davis, 3).
• Morris joining Stephen Davis (1999-2001) as the only players in Red- skins history to rush for 1,000 yards in three consecutive seasons.
• Morris rushing for 1,000 yards after having been one of only seven players to have rushed for 1,000 yards in each of the last two seasons (Ja- maal Charles, Matt Forte, Frank Gore, Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson).
• Santana Moss playing in 13 games to reach 200 NFL regular season games played for his career.
• Moss recording 78 receptions to become the 31st player in NFL his- tory to reach 800 career receptions.
• Moss (48) chasing No. 9 Stephen Davis (49), No. 8 Bobby Mitch- ell (53), No. 7 Larry Brown (55) and others on the team’s all-time total touchdowns list.
• Brian Orakpo recording double-digit sacks in consecutive seasons for the first time in his career. Orakpo recorded 10.0 sacks last season.
• Orakpo (39.5) chasing No. 4 Ken Harvey (41.5), No. 3 Monte Cole- man (43.5) and others on the team’s all-time sack list.
• Tight end Jordan Reed returning after posting team records for a rookie tight end with 45 receptions and 499 yards last season.
• Trent Williams becoming the first offensive player on the Redskins to earn three straight Pro Bowl appearances since fellow left tackle Chris Samuels accomplished the feat over four years across the 2005-08 sea- sons.
• Williams earning a Pro Bowl invite to place a Washington left tackle in the annual all-star competition for the seventh time in 10 years. Be- tween Williams (2012-13) and Samuels (2001-02, 05-08), Redskins left tackles have earned Pro Bowl invites in six of the last nine seasons.

watchfor_zps8e79fc6b.gif

• Head Coach Jay Gruden beginning the 29th head coach- ing tenure in Redskins history.
• Gruden attempting to become the 11th coach in fran- chise history to win his Redskins debut (Eddie Casey, Arthur “Dutch” Bergman, Dick Todd, Earl “Curly” Lambeau, Vince Lombardi, George Allen, Jack Pardee, Richie Petitbon, Steve Spurrier and Mike Shanahan). For more, see “Jay Gruden De-
but Central” on Page 5.
• The Redskins improving to 41-38-4 all-time in season openers since the team’s inception in 1932.
• The Redskins improving to 25-20 in season openers since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Washington’s current 24 Week 1 wins since 1970 are currently tied for eighth-most in the NFL in that time frame.
• The Redskins winning their season opener for the fourth time in the last five seasons.
• The Redskins playing their first of four games at all four of the league’s active retractable roof stadiums (Houston, Dallas, Arizona and Indianap- olis) this season.
• Safety Ryan Clark playing his first game as a member of the Redskins since an NFC Wild Card game against Seattle on Jan. 14, 2006, a span of 3,159 days.
• Nose tackle Barry Cofield extending his streak of 80 consecutive starts, the most among active NFL defensive tackles.
• Kicker Kai Forbath improving upon his current streak of 14 consec- utive made field goal attempts, dating back to last season. His career-best streak is 17, set to open his career in 2012.
• Cornerback DeAngelo Hall playing in his 150th career regular sea- son game.
• Hall intercepting a pass to give him 24 interceptions as a member of the Redskins, which would tie him with Ken Houston for ninth-most in team history.
• Hall returning a fumble for a touchdown to tie Jessie Tuggle for the second-most in NFL history (five). Hall’s four career fumble return touchdowns are currently tied for third in NFL history with Bill Thomp- son, Derrick Thomas, Keith Bulluck and Ronde Barber.
• Hall returning a fumble for a touchdown to become the first player in NFL history with five fumble returns for touchdowns and five intercep- tion returns for touchdowns.
• Quarterback Robert Griffin III (36) recording three passing touch- downs to tie Jay Schroeder for 10th-most in Redskins history (39).
• Griffin III scoring a rushing touchdown to tie Eddie LeBaron, Mark Rypien and Norm Snead for fourth-most rushing touchdowns by a quar- terback in Redskins history (eight).
• Running back Alfred Morris scoring a rushing touchdown to tie Andy Farkas and Gerald Riggs (21) for 10th-most in team history.
• Morris rushing for 100 yards for the 11th time in his career.
• Wide receiver Santana Moss scoring a touchdown to tie former teammate Clinton Portis for ninth-most total touchdowns in team his- tory (49).
• Linebacker Brian Orakpo notching two sacks to tie Ken Harvey (41.5) for fourth on the team’s all-time sack list.
• Orakpo recording half a sack to become the fifth player in team history to register 40 sacks with the Redskins (Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, Monte Coleman and Ken Harvey).

winwould_zps355d0f1d.gif

... be the first in the NFL head coaching career of Head Coach Jay Gruden.
... make Gruden the 11th coach in franchise history to win his Red- skins head coaching debut.
... be the Redskins’ fourth Week 1 win in the last five seasons.
... improve Washington to 41-38-4 all-time in season openers and 25- 20 in season openers since the 1970 merger.
... snap an eight-game regular season losing streak.
... make the Redskins 8-5 against the AFC South since divisional re- alignment in 2002.
... improve the Redskins to 5-2 against AFC squads in their last seven meetings.
... push the Redskins’ all-time record against the Texans to 3-1.

stripebreak_zpsef454232.gif

Back in a few hours, but make sure to follow us on tha Twitter: @TKextremeskins & HomerMcFanboy

ANNOUNCEMENT OF INACTIVES

HOUSTON – The Washington Redskins have announced the following inactives and lineup changes for today’s game against the Houston Texans:

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 16 QB Colt McCoy
o No. 22 CB Tracy Porter
o No. 54 LB Akeem Jordan
o No. 60 G Spencer Long
o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse
o No. 76 T Morgan Moses
o No. 89 WR Santana Moss

First Quarter Opening drive.

Skins win the toss & defer. kickoff takes a knee in the endzone. First 4 plays result in 2 DHall pushes out of bounds & 2 incomplete passes. Texans look kinda ehhh. Texans hand off to Foster stopped by Rambo & Clark.Midfield. Foster for loss of 1. Drilled dead by Coefield & Baker. Punt

Skins take over at their 11. Crowd EXPLODES for RG3. Skins need to avoid the rush & not give up a Safety here. 2WR set with DY & Morris in the backfield. Morris with a gain of 9. RG3 under pressure with a dump off to DJax for no gain. Stadium is LOUD. Griff calls a TO on 3rd & 1. Morris gets stuffed like a Xmas turkey. Loss of 1. Skins to punt. 61 yard punt. HOLY ****. At least now we know we have a punter:)

The Texans outgained the Redskins 55-26 & won TOP 7:55 - 7:05

Second Quarter

Skins start the 2nd at their own 39. Neither team has taken a shot deep yet. RG3 to DJax for a first down Reed out with a hammy questiable to return. Skins are slowly starting to put a drive together here. Helu with a spark & 16 yard gain. Skins have crossed midfield for the first time today. Pass to DY. Starting to spread it around more now. Aaaaand the O shots itsself in the foot with a 5 yard false start penalty. Helu carries again for 6. 3rd &8. Griff goes down, sacked by Reed. Both teams are 1-5 on 3rd down.Loss of 12. Skins are forced to punt.

Texans take over at their 8 yard line. A safety or pick 6 would be great here. Texans run Foster for 6. Foster again with a run, gain of 6. !st & 10 from their 20. Either the Texans can't catch or Fitz is HORRIBLE. Maybe both. :) Hatcher sacks Fitz. Foster runs for a gain but not enough. 4th down & they/re forced to punt.

Thoughts At The Half

After messing around for about a Quarter & a half, the Skins put together a 4 play TD drive, capped of with a 21 yard run by Morris. Before that, both teams Offensively looked like hot crap on a stick in the noon day sun. That TD drive should do wonders for the Skins Offense. Especially since they deferred the toss & will receive after the Half. Texans, also after looking like crap, hit a 76 yard TD pass. The 8 point difference in the score is due to JJ Watt's uncanny wingspan allowing him to block the Redskins extra point & then two series later, Houston blocks a ount & returns it for a TD. The Texans still remind of the Gibbs 2.0 teams. Good defense, 1 good RB, 1 WR, & no QB.The Redskins need to adjust & show they can stop the speed Houston has on its pass rush. To many times, RG3 has had defenders in his backfield as soon as he gets the snap. He's not just sacked, he's getting gang tackled sacked.Gruden & McVay HAVE to make Gibbsian type of halftime adjustments to protect Robert & Take away some of Houston's speed.They do that, then it should open up the deep shots down field. Do that, & they can smoke these clowns with DJax.

Third Quarter

The wings here are good. Not Pez good, but pretty passable.Also, Morris continues to fumble & turn the ball over at the worst time. So does Paul after a 48 yard game. But hey, at least it's still 14-6.

Fourth Quarter

After a downpour that knocked out our TVs here, they're finally back on as it continues to thunder outside. Hatcher has went down on the field, Defense is already missing Coefield. Got a bad feeling that either Johnson or Foster is going to put this game away for Houston with another score. Houston is currently on the 11. Kerrigan forces a fumble recovered by Robinson. Skins ball at the 8. 92 yards to go without fumbling. Oh look, Skins start driving & JJ Watt sacks Griff. Go figure. Headed down to meet Murf coming off the field.

Final Thoughts

After going through a Pre Season without any serious injuries to key players, the Redskins lost TE Reed for possibly two weeks. Once back in Ashburn he'll have an MRI on his hammy. Post game, Coefield already had his foot in air cast. Thankfully Hatcherat least saw his ankle injury coming & was able to protect himself some so his ankle isn't as bad as it could have been.

JJ Watt (one sack, two tackles for loss, five quarterback hurries and a blocked extra point) was worth his new shiny contract. Rubbing salt into the wound, he was the very next pick after we drafted Ryan Kerrigan, so if you want to play the "What if" game...

Special Teams. They were so horrible last year, they can only get better. Or so you'd hope. Especially after signing & drafting guys that want to plat Teams. Today they had two foul ups, one on the blocked extra point kick & the other where Helu managed to not do his job on a punt attempt. Punt was blocked, scooped up & returned by Houston for 7. Altogether, Teams cost the team 8 points.

Speaking of Teams, DYoung gets my Sean Taylor award for wearing #36 & taking out his own team mate.

We saw some of the same mistakes made today that we saw the same team make last year under Shanahan. Tripped up handoffs for a fumble, inability to score points - let alone finish a drive.

Next week with the Jags, someone is going to be 0-2. And for whomever that is, the questions will only get tougher.

15170541821_fa44d3622c_o_zps3b7bde8d.jpg

For more pics from the game, check out Murf's Photo Set HERE

GAMEDAY!

I'm really interested to see how the team performs. Does the defense carry it's momentum from the preseason, or was that a mirage?

What is the offense going to look like? Are they going to be able to utilize all the toys? Is the OL going to be adequate.

Looking forward to the coverage and to the game.

Let's get it on!

Nice set-up OP  :)

I'm just settling down from a relocation (temporary, until I can make sure the search dogs are gone) among other things, but have put all other matters aside, of course to be here with youse miscreants, ne'er-do-wells, and rapscallions.

I'm pretty antsy about this opener. Through years of training and an increasingly jaded outlook on many things human  :P, my pulse, heart rate, breathing and gastrointestinal system rarely react much to tension. But it feels all up for grabs this a.m. More coffee!  :lol:

GO Redskins!!!!!

Jesus, it's real now.

Every year I think I'll be less jittery and nervous on opening day, and I never am.

If anything, I feel that way more than ever today.

I really hope today goes well for us, Griffin, and Gruden.

We deserve some goddamn success.

Nice set-up OP  :)

I

I'm pretty antsy about this opener. Through years of training and an increasingly jaded outlook on many things human  :P, my pulse, heart rate, breathing and gastrointestinal system rarely react much to tension. But it feels all up for grabs this a.m. More coffee!  :lol:

GO Redskins!!!!!

More Screwdrivers, man you need vitamin C in your system.  Coffee is for after the game :)

I'm officially losing my ****.... I LOVE THIS!!! Hoping for a win, natch, but also want everyone (Texans included) to stay healthy today...

Anyone know what uniforms we are wearing today?

Just got word from Rich Tandler on twitter... Burgundy jerseys and gold pants... My personal favorite!

HTTR

I'm officially losing my ****.... I LOVE THIS!!! Hoping for a win, natch, but also want everyone (Texans included) to stay healthy today...

Anyone know what uniforms we are wearing today?

Just got word from Rich Tandler on twitter... Burgundy jerseys and gold pants... My personal favorite!

HTTR

Gold Pants!

Burgundy jerseys, gold pants RT @sparkyrose: Hey guys, any idea what uniforms the Skins are wearing today?

I always love the facts at the start of these threads.  Thanks TK. :)

Man, gotta get this thing started on the right foot.  Griff and Gruden could use a little breathing room and some confidence.  

Also, I'm sure this is the first start in KRobinson's career.  Congrats to that kid for weathering the storm and accomplishing one of his dreams.  Kudos to you, sir. :)

Archived