Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Dalton Is Better Than You Think

Bubble Screen

i for one think this is a good thread. in my opinion, Andy Dalton is a pretty good QB. is he as good as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or Peyton Manning? Not yet. But I think he's a good QB. personally I like the futures of Dalton, Wilson, Luck, and RG3. With that said, RG3 is still my man and the Redskins are the best team. every other team sucks :)

also, Tony Romo :D

I am confused here....did I not say which you quoted yourself

"Another one is Dalton was paired with a top five receiver before he was ever drafted"

I am not unaware who Andy Dalton is, I live in Fort Worth Texas, TCU is a college I am very familiar with. When Dalton was drafted in the second round of the 2011 draft this city was stunned. Locals here did not think he was that good when he played here and did not think that he would have been drafted that high. It was shocking to most of us.

He and Green have been excellent together since they both joined the league at the same time. Green was completely different then Dalton in that everyone expected him to be great. He was drafted number 4 overall that draft. Him being a top 5 NFL receiver was not unexpected like Dalton. No one thought Andy Dalton was going to become a 4000 yard passer before he got to Cincinnati.

I guess it is a bit of the chicken or the egg to me. Would AJ Green still be an elite receiver if Dalton were to be lost to a season ending injury? I think so. On the other hand if AJ Green was lost for an entire season would Andy Dalton still be a probowl QB? I don't think so. Hopefully we never have to find out

Not sure why you think I mis-quoted you. You were saying exactly what I thought you were saying, that you felt Green deserved all or most of the credit for the Bengals' success. I disagree. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong. As you said, it's impossible to know for sure, since they have played 47 of a possible 48 games together.

I also disagree that no one thought Dalton would be a 4,000 yard passer. I'm not surprised at all. I watched many of his games in college. I've been high on this guy for years. That was one of the reasons I started this thread. To make people aware of how underrated the guy is.

Btw, you also neglected to acknowledge my point about Peyton having his own AJ Green (Marvin Harrison) in his early years.

Dalton is the Tony romoSUCKS of the AFC.

Will have a solid season, with a solid supporting cast. But when you need him to win the game in the playoffs, he just doesn't get the job done. Or, in romoSUCKS's case, week 17.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. As Evil said, one guy has only been in the league for 3 years. The other is a veteran. Besides, it's not like Dalton is the only Bengal that has come up short in the playoffs.

The bogus part is....when they lose 1st round in the playoffs again this year Marvin Lewis will still be the Bengals coach next year.

I agree. It's amazing how this guy has managed to keep his job all these years.

Andy Dalton-

Starts: 48

Wins: 30

Passes: 1,630

TD Passes: 80

INT: 49

Passer Rating: 85.7

Postseason W-L: 0-3

Peyton Manning-

Starts: 48

Wins: 26

Passes: 1,679

TD Passes: 85

INT: 58

Passer Rating: 85.4

Postseason W-L: 0-2

Discuss...

RG3 -

Starts: 28

Wins: 12

Passes: 849

TD Passes: 36

INT: 17

Passer Rating: 91.5

Postseason W-L: 0-1

Andy Dalton-

Wins: 15

Passes: 928

TD Passes: 44

INT: 26

Passer Rating: 85.3

Peyton Manning-

Wins: 13

Passes: 972

TD Passes: 50

INT: 36

Passer Rating: 82.8

RG3 is better than you think.

Why do stats suddenly matter and make Andy Dalton better than we think? If we 'watch the games' one can easily see Dalton isn't a top QB, certainly not comparable to Manning in his early years even.

Why do stats matter in context with Dalton but not Luck?

Luck -> watch the games morons stats don't matter

Dalton -> look at these stats morons don't worry about what you see in games

All just to say, "I'm smart and always right, look"

Dalton gets a bad rap.  He's a good qb.  Not great.  But good.  Still has lots of growing to do, which is fine.  Most qbs take a little while, and are not all-pro studs by their 3rd year in the league.  He needs to just keep on doing his thing.

Bigger concern out of Cincy right now is whispers re Vontaze Burfict.  His contract got announced last week, but still hasn't been signed.  No one's really sure why, or who or what is the problem.  He had "the stomach bug" all last week and didn't practice -- deal was done during all of that.  All of a sudden, he's playing in the game after not practicing (a big Marvin no-no) and hurts his hamstring after 3 or 4 plays.  And when asked about his contract yesterday or today, he just says "no comment."

Has he backed out?  Did the Bengal renege b/c they got mad the details got leaked?  Burfict is a rising superstar.  They need to lock him up straightaway.

Why do stats suddenly matter and make Andy Dalton better than we think? If we 'watch the games' one can easily see Dalton isn't a top QB, certainly not comparable to Manning in his early years even.

Why do stats matter in context with Dalton but not Luck?

Luck -> watch the games morons stats don't matter

Dalton -> look at these stats morons don't worry about what you see in games

All just to say, "I'm smart and always right, look"

Nowhere did I say Dalton was one of the top QBs. Top young QBs, sure. And again, this thread was merely a wake up call for all of the naysayers out there that think Dalton is terrible. Just look at the Dalton contract thread. Or any of the other QB threads where his name comes up. You rarely ever see anyone say he is a good QB. It's always "he can't win in the playoffs". Which is a dumb response, given very few Bengals players have showed up in the playoffs the last 3 years. And also for the fact that it took Peyton 6 years to win his first. I do disagree though that he isn't comparable to Peyton's early years. He certainly is. And the stats reflect that. However, I've never said he will end up being as good as Peyton

As for the stats/Luck thing: you're actually repeating the same things I've said all along in my defense of Luck being the best young QB. You're right, stats don't tell the whole story. That's why I never bothered responding to Califan. It's obvious to anyone that's watched RG3 the last year+ to know he's not one of the best QBs out there. Doesn't matter what the stats are. That's why it's important to watch the games to be able to know if what the stats are telling you are accurate.

Nowhere did I say Dalton was one of the top QBs. Top young QBs, sure. And again, this thread was a wake up call for all of the naysayers out there that think Dalton is terrible. Just look at the Dalton contract thread. Or any of the other QB threads where his name comes up. You rarely ever see anyone say he is a good QB. It's always "he can't win in the playoffs". Which is a dumb response, given very few Bengals players have showed up in the playoffs the last 3 years. And also for the fact that it took Peyton 6 years to win his first. I do disagree though that he isn't comparable to Peyton's early years. He certainly is. And the stats reflect that. However, I've never said he will end up being as good as Peyton

As for the stats/Luck thing: you're actually repeating the same things I've said all along in my defense of Luck being the best young QB. You're right, stats don't tell the whole story. That's why I never bothered responding to Califan. It's obvious to anyone that's watched RG3 the last year+ to know he's not one of the best QBs out there. Doesn't matter what the stats are. That's why it's important to watch the games to be able to know if what the stats are telling you are accurate.

Yeah, stats can prove a point, unless you don't want them to.

tumblr_inline_na7zn0LwVN1rkoeby.gif

No, if you actually read what I wrote, I said you have to watch the games and be able to read stats and discern if what you're watching matches up to the stats. I was pretty clear about that.

Edit: And you had to have read it, as you bolded something just below where I wrote it. smh

No, if you actually read what I wrote, I said you have to watch the games and be able to read stats and discern if what you're watching matches up to the stats. I was pretty clear about that. And you had to have read it, as you bolded something just below where I wrote it. smh

Oh yes, I can read. The only question, though, is whether you're actually foolish enough to believe such utter garbage, or just foolish enough to believe you're going to convince others of it.

Not sure why you think I mis-quoted you. You were saying exactly what I thought you were saying, that you felt Green deserved all or most of the credit for the Bengals' success. I disagree. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong. As you said, it's impossible to know for sure, since they have played 47 of a possible 48 games together.

I also disagree that no one thought Dalton would be a 4,000 yard passer. I'm not surprised at all. I watched many of his games in college. I've been high on this guy for years. That was one of the reasons I started this thread. To make people aware of how underrated the guy is.

Btw, you also neglected to acknowledge my point about Peyton having his own AJ Green (Marvin Harrison) in his early years.

Okay so what do you think Josh Gordon showed us last season when he was the NFL's #1 receiving yards leader when he had no one throwing him the ball?

If you think that a receiver can not make a QB then your wrong. He can and it's happened before. That doesn't mean that Green is solely responsible for Dalton but it's happened before.

I didn't miss anything about the Manning comparison, it's meaningless to me and it's number manipulation.

We are all aware of Andy Dalton and who he is. You aren't bringing anything to the table here. Besides you need to read this

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/andy-dalton-peyton-manning-comparison

Andy Dalton's numbers are virtually identical to a young Peyton Manning's

Late in Sunday night’s preseason game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals, NBC displayed a graphic confirming what absolutely no one on earth has ever said, imagined, suggested or thought: Andy Dalton is basically Peyton Manning.

This is a great, unknown stat that once against shows Sunday Night Football is the best sports broadcast on television. (You don’t see stats like that anywhere else.) Though it’s certainly not meant to convey that Dalton=Manning, it is, among other things, a fascinating look at the importance of perception in evaluating NFL players.

Let’s say Andrew Luck, who’s now entering year three, puts up comparable numbers to Andy Dalton. (They’re actually closer than you think.) Would there be as much skepticism about his talent? Or does Luck’s pedigree and high draft status make us view him differently? And what are the value of these numbers anyway? Look how easy it is to finesse the numbers to make your argument work.

usatsi_5133474.jpg?w=1000&h=666

1. Among the most similar players to Dalton (according to pro-football-reference.com): Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Joe Namath, Ben Roethlisberger, Fran Tarkenton

Also on that list: Ken O’Brien, Steve Grogan, Marc Bulger

2. Dalton made one Pro Bowl in his first three seasons, just like Tom Brady.

Dalton made one Pro Bowl in his first three seasons, just like Derek Anderson.

sw02-reg-2-0527.jpg?w=1000&h=666

3. Dalton has the 22nd best QB rating in NFL history. That places him ahead of John Elway, Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco.

Dalton ranks one spot behind David Garrard, who is No. 21.

4. Dalton threw 33 touchdown passes in his third season, the same as Peyton Manning did in 2000.

usp-nfl_-denver-broncos-at-indianapolis-

Scott Mitchell threw 32 touchdown passes in his third season as a starter (1995).

The lesson, as always: Football stats are fun to look at and never as important as we’d like to think. Sorry, Bengals fans.

hankerson: Gordon had one great year with no one throwing him the ball. Too small of a sample size. Besides, I never said Green wasn't a great player. I just don't think he's solely responsible for Dalton's success.

Btw, I have no idea what point you were trying to prove with the bolded parts.

And to the guys posting gifs and derailing the thread, I'd appreciate it if you stopped.If you don't want to discuss the topic, then there's no point in entering the thread. Thanks.

And to the guys posting gifs and derailing the thread, I'd appreciate it if you stopped.If you don't want to discuss the topic, then there's no point in entering the thread. Thanks.

tumblr_m3qrc4cqe91r5v95r.gif

The thread is ludicrous. Don't start a thread, as weak as it was to begin with, under the pretense of using statistical evidence, and then dismiss all stats that refute you by saying you can "see" that they aren't true, and then act like such a thread deserves to be taken even remotely seriously. Not to mention ignoring most of what was said that disagreed with you. Nothing about this merits even a token of respect.

The only thing saving the thread is Scarlett. So, l'll keep talking to her. Let's ask her what she thinks of me.

Scarlett-Johansson-Really-Likes-a-Guy-In

Well, I'm blushing.

I wish I wasn't outta likes, because these GIFs of ScarJo are fabulous!

Also, this thread reminds me of John McKay's quip about stats: "Statistics and records are baseball talk. They keep records like most times sliding into second base on a Tuesday."

Archived