Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else excited?

ToHailWithIt

I didn't even see the game last night but after reading about it and the reactions, it felt like a ninth loss in the reg season.

I watched it and all I know is I'm not looking forward to that Houston defense. In other words I'm not that excited right now.

I'm sorry guy, but I'm just not seeing it right now and I wish I could be as optimisitc as you. Like yourself, I'm also 30 and can relate to a lot of what you said about growing up. The people and places are different, but I've met a few from Gibbs to Bailey ( where I currently live on the west coast no less!), and have lots of memories catching every game, every week as a kid and teen. My favorite has to be seeing the '99 playoff game at FedEx vs. Detriot. I can remember to this day how excited I was, and it lived up to my expectations in everyway.

Fast forward through a lot of bad years, and a few good ones, the 2012 season truly was a magical one. You are correct; I saw things that season that I have never seen this team do. I finally got to feel what it was like to be a fan of a truly great team. Those Patriots fans don't know how good they have it.

Flash forward to 2013 and I don't think I've ever been more disenchanted with this team, and just football in general. It wasn't just RGIII (and I understood that he was a young player coming off a serious injury), it was the entire team just taking a major step back. For me, it became harder to watch than it ever had. I got to a point where I pretty much stopped watching football, only checking the scores, which has never happen to me in my life.

Last night was the first game I've caught this year ( yea yea yea preseason I get it), and I know you may be disappointed, but based what I was watching my excitement for the 2014 season has dropped to an all time low. I love RGIII, but not at all convinced he is a pocket passer. He is obviously the most talented QB we've had in forever, but that historic season of his had a lot to do with his legs and the option. I just don't think, at this time, that if he can't run and give himself more time to read the D, that he is more than an average NFL QB.

Preseason or not, when you're in your 3rd year as QB, and you'd rather take a loss of yards on several occasions rather than simply throwing it away, your decision making as a legit above average QB is going to come into question. And the sliding? Don't even get me started. He could easily be the same kind of QB he was in 2012 if the guy would just freaking slide, yet he REFUSES to do so.

As far as your comment about Cousins; I'm not even going there. I think he is a really good back-up, but that's it for me. I'm not a subscriber to the Colt, Ramsey, Campbell, Collins, etc etc etc train to the Super Bowl because they can complete a couple of passes and look good for 1 QT or 2 QT of a game. As for the rest, I'll agree on the Defense, but Meriweather can't keep his head out of his "you know where" and Hall is DeAngelo Hall. I'll agree that we will be more disruptive in the back field, but Haslett still cannot teach this team to tackle in the open field apparently. Pretty basic to me. And yea, we have an all star offensive weapons with a pee wee football O line, so that negates that advantage. 

So, I will hopefully eat my crow and, of course, I will be watching Week 1 praying I see something different. I don't have many more 4, 5, and 6 win seasons left in me.

To the OP--

I FEEL you Brotha!  Although I'm a little older than you, honestly, I'm as diehard a fan as anyone.  

In my world, there's only one girl for me; she has a beautiful BURGUNDY hue & a heart of pure GOLD.  I am a sports fan in general, and a fan of teams that play in different sports.  But The Washington Redskins are simply a part of me.  The deal is that we only get 20 guaranteed occasions to watch Redskins football (and yes, I am including pre-season games).  Yeah I follow Maryland athletics, the "Bullets" & am a Braves fan, stemming from my Atlanta days.  And all of em could Win fabulously, but if the Skins do squat; it doesn't matter.  That's all that matters.  

I'm the kinda guy that gets introduced to people as a diehard.  Yes, there are plenty of other interests I have & things that I do, but everyone that knows me knows I am a diehard Skins fan.  People I've known over the years compare their fandom to mine.  When people are describing me to other folks, they refer to me as 'that Skins fan'.  Trust me, I'm not competing with anyone.  This is just my deal.  There's the Washington Redskins...then there's sports.  Does that make sense?

Anyway, am I excited?  Hahahahaaaa!!!  I am ALWAYS excited for the beginning of a season of Washington Football.  How could anyone that cheers the team not be?  Obviously, I am a kool aid drinker, a homer, a Skins Goggles guy.  Yeah, I'm all that.  What I never understood is how so many 'fans' on this board constantly dog the team.  Our fans!!!  I am incapable of understanding that.  So with that in mind, view my posts in that context.

And as for the Ravens game, damn right I was disappointed.  And I went to the game.  But I also realize that this is pre-season.  Maybe we collectively, are panicking a little too quickly.  In retrospect, last year we probably were too confident.  It's all relative right?  

All-in-all, I know I'm counting down the days!  Welcome.

Oh brother I'm the eternal optimist! I'm still excited about the team.

Sorry, I was referring to my optimism. After thinking (stewing?) some more, I'll say I still have a sliver of optimism. Success this season was largely dependent on ST and the defense significantly improving... and there's good reason to believe they have. Now if we can just get that offense going...

As a 27 year old die hard (Or glutton for punishment as I've often been referred to lol) as well who wasn't even old enough to understand what was happening during that SB. Who's years of being a fan and learning and understanding the game started when Norv came to town, leading to a life time of disappointments and small celebrations of high end mediocrity, I still feel you on this feeling 100%. Through all the doom and gloom of the past 20 years I still get chills down my spine thinking of the season opener every year. I can't help it. I couldn't just not follow this team no matter how hard I could try.

There's something about it that anyone who only follows the game on a very casual level just can't even begin to understand. You live on the edge of your seat. A little piece of you dies inside with every turnover, miscue, sack, blown up play, and loss. But for every touchdown, big play, and win it just feels so worth all the suffering every single time. Even if we're up 30-0 you still watch because somehow it never feels like enough and that at any second it could all go crashing down in garbage time so you have to see it through no matter what. It's a bond that you can't explain to someone who doesn't feel it no matter how hard you try. You just find yourself explaining one of the most emotion inducing things you continuously experience every year to a blank face.

I'm with you brother. I can't wait until week one. I can't wait to throw on my jersey and flip on my TV to Redskins football again. I'm so excited just like I am every year for Game Day to finally be upon us once again. Not for any emotional beating. Not for feeling so depressed after a terrible game I could cry. Not for unreached expectations and/or potential. But for just the opposite. Because for every downtrotten, gutwrenching, and downright maddening Griffin injury, D'angelo flag throwing penalty, Fedex becoming little Pittsburgh, and Dan Bailey OT game winner. There's the feeling of the sting of the frozen tears of joy I cried the night we beat Dallas and won the division, the practical backflip I did in my living room when Marcus Washington recovered that fumble and sent us to round two of the playoffs, and the sheer ecstacy of watching Tana catch two bombs in a row from Brunell in a comeback over Dallas in the Monday Night Miracle. As a die hard fan those are the feelings you live for. And I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Bring on the Texans.

Bring on the NFC East.

To hell with Dallas!

And Hail to the M***********g Redskins!!!

Excited here too!  I don't get too jazzed about the preseason, other than seeing guys come out of nowhere and show glimpses of talent (like Ryan Grant).  And just the fact that the preseason exists means the reg season is right around the corner.  I'm not expecting some amazeballs season, but I'm stoked for Game 1 at Houston, seeing the new offense, hopefully, this more attacking-minded, sure-tackling defense, and a competent special teams, haha.

Here's to dropping the hammer in Houston.  HAIL!

Archived