Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robin Williams just found dead

Burgold

RIP to the man who brought Popeye to life.

I always thought Williams was a funny dude.

Little trivia with this clip. Recognize the man in the red and black striped shirt wearing the hat at the minute mark?

It seems especially sad to me that somebody that everybody seems to have actually really liked (It is at least my personal impression that people are being sincere) felt the need to commit suicide.

Depression is a nightmare. I saw on another board that someone asked if his show being cancelled could have triggered this. A person with depression wrote, "Yes, that can be a trigger. But for me, the sun rising can sometimes be a trigger."

He really is one of those celebrities where everyone seems to have some love for him, even if his schtick didn't appeal to them.

Obviously, I was a huge fan, but I remember leaving the theater angry after seeing Patch Adams (this seems to be a universal turning point for him by the way). I avoided his movies until One Hour Photo came out. And I thought that was Oscar-worthy stuff. 

That's one of the many sad things. He had such unreal range that you could actually look forward to a seventy-something Robin Williams in a movie someday. Or being 80 and doing the Mel Brooks thing where we cheer him for just still being around and cool. (As a counterpoint, I like some of Billy Crystal's work, but he's been 70 since 1976 so there is no real wonder about what he will be like in old age).

RIP to the man who brought Popeye to life.

I saw Popeye in a movie theater when it came out. It seems to have been released on my birthday so I saw it right as I turned 7. It was the most confusing two hours of my life up to that point. Robert Altman did not have seven year olds in mind when he made that.

I watched it a few years ago for the first time, and it's actually quite amazing in parts....until the end when they seem to have completely run out of money.

Couldn't believe it when I saw it last night.

He was a big part of my childhood. I can still watch a lot of his movies today and laugh just as much as I did when I was a kid, if not more.

I just read a few days ago that he was in talks to do a Mrs. Doubtfire sequel too. Shame that it will never come to be.

RIP Robin Williams.

I saw Popeye in a movie theater when it came out. It seems to have been released on my birthday so I saw it right as I turned 7. It was the most confusing two hours of my life up to that point. Robert Altman did not have seven year olds in mind when he made that.

I watched it a few years ago for the first time, and it's actually quite amazing in parts....until the end when they seem to have completely run out of money.

It definitely had a charm to it. They got the town of Sweethaven right and I hear the set/town still stands to this day as a Popeye museum. But you're right, the ending was horrible.

I have been through this thread a few times.

I read about it a few hours earlier.

My first thought was disbelief.

The one movie he did "Insomnia", was creepy but not typecast.

Amazing work and so versatile.

I will miss his work as an artist.

I hate that he had some issues that were mainly unknown.

RIP Robin...you will always make me laugh or cry. Thank you.

It definitely had a charm to it. They got the town of Sweethaven right and I hear the set/town still stands to this day as a Popeye museum. But you're right, the ending was horrible.

I actually really like the music, as weird as it is.

And everybody just totally committed to Altman's vision of that film - whatever the hell it was.

I'm not sure the mumblings of Popeye and Olive Oyl really work when placed in with the normal Altman audio mix of overlapping conversations.

Seriously, how the hell did that get approved? A live action Popeye is a weird concept in its own right. A life action Popeye....directed by Robert Freaking Altman? A filmmaker with as specific a vision as anyone in history. And it's going to be a musical. With music by Harry Nilsson? Again, a very iconoclastic songwriter at that point best known for incredible drunken binges with John Lennon.

This would be like making a live action Snoopy directed by Darren Aronofsky with music by Aimee Mann.

Which sounds awesome actually.

Yeah, the ending was terrible. You're waiting for two hours for Bluto to get his comeuppance and all you get is one punch seen through a water-logged camera and Popeye (Williams) punching the fakest looking rubber octopus you will ever see. Lame.

The movie had a lot of problems. It was too long, way too many loooooong, slooooow ballads, and not enough of a story to sustain it.

It got some things right, though. The actors they picked were perfect. Williams did a great Popeye. Shelly Duvall was the perfect Olive Oyl and Ray Walston nearly stole the film at the end as Poopdeck Pappy.

They also used the right Popeye for this. The quirky, offbeat Popeye from the cartoons of the late '20s and early 30's instead of the cartoons made post-WWII and later that were more straight forward movie cartoons. Critics at the time complained about the "mumbling", but that is what the Popeye character did in those early cartoons, mumbling things under his breath. Those were some of the best lines in the film and I bet Robin Williams ad-libbed a lot of them.

Interestingly, Williams once said that the filming of "Popeye" was one of the most miserable experiences he ever had. I never read why. I think I'll read up on it. :)

Robin Williams Leaves Behind 4 Movies Including ‘Night at the Museum 3'

The Oscar-winning actor’s upcoming projects include a sequel to Williams’ 1993 hit Mrs. Doubtfire in development by 20th Century Fox and indie comedy A Film By Alan Stuart Eisner.

Beloved actor Robin Williams died Monday morning at age 63, leaving behind four completed films that are slated to hit theaters within the next 12 months.

Always game to entertain children, Williams reprised his role as Teddy Roosevelt in Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, which he already wrapped shooting and Fox is set to release on Dec. 19, allowing audiences to enjoy his comic gifts over the holidays.

Williams also stars in the holiday comedy Merry Friggin’ Christmas, which Phase 4 Films plans to release in the U.S. on Nov. 7.

Click on the link for the full article

He was a San Fran guy, right? Was he active in the city?  Did San Fran view him as a native son?

Yes, yes and yes.  

I ran into him on Fillmore street once.  He used to frequent my friend's bookstore a lot.  He was very nice as long as you didn't go all "OMG a celebrity!" on him.   He did a lot of local charity gigs, and spent a lot of time just hanging out in the neighborhoods.

When my kids were little, they trick-or-treated at his gigantic house on a cliff near the Golden Gate Bridge along with a zillion other kids.  He had someone at the door giving out those glowstick necklaces rather than candy.   Meanwhile, we spotted him standing on the other side of the street under a tree, disguised as an old beggar, enjoying the commotion.  We didn't rat him out.  

He moved up to a second house in Marin a few years back with his new wife, and kind of went into seclusion. 

Having trouble understanding how it took them as long as it did to conclude the cause of death. If he hung himself it seems like itd be a pretty obvious conclusion.

If it were to rule out any signs of foul play I guess thatd make sense though.

We're still in a kind of state of shock. Last night when the news broke & they said asphyxiation, I said, "He hung himself? WTF?"...and there are other versions, but not any that I could think of that were also linked to the word "suicide".

It's just so hard to believe that there will be no more Robin Williams. I'm so sad.

Having trouble understanding how it took them as long as it did to conclude the cause of death. If he hung himself it seems like itd be a pretty obvious conclusion.

Just the red tape. It sounds like there was a suicide note as well.

One of the funniest guys of our lifetime. If not ever.

Manic, crazy troubled genius who by all accounts was a terrifically nice guy and a wonderful father despite all his demons. So many memory's. Too many films to mention. Fantastic standup comic too. And I don't think I ever saw him being interviewed either 1-on-1 or on a chat show where he didn't being the house down with his zaniness.

Damn you depression.

God rest Robin. Thank you for all the laughs.

Hail.

I think its the latter.  If there was foul play involved, it would be an easy cover to stage the suicide after the fact and leave a fake suicide note. They probably just do the autopsy to confirm what already seems obvious.

A lot of comedians are depressed, they make everyone laugh, but can't make themselves happy.

RIP Williams

Jumanji, mrs. Doubtfire, and hook were some of my favorite childhood movies.

Yeah, I read this article by David Wong from Cracked yesterday about that and it is pretty good.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/

Man, that Chris Farley part is so damn sad as well.

Roger Ebert - especially when reviewing Rodney Dangerfield movies - used to write about the language of stand up comedy.

"I"m dying out here."

"I'm killing 'em."

"I'm slaying 'em."

Here's something he wrote on Back to School.

The most interesting thing about "Back to School," which is otherwise a pleasant but routine comedy, is the puzzle of Rodney Dangerfield. Here is a man who reminds us of some of the great comedians of the early days of the talkies - of Groucho Marx and W. C. Fields - because, like them, he projects a certain mystery. Marx and Fields were never just being funny. There was the sense that they were getting even for hurts so deep that all they could do was laugh about them. It's the same with Dangerfield.

There is an aggressiveness to stand-up that is really difficult to explain. And it seems like that for a lot of these guys, they need to project that outward lest it gets turned inwards.

As great as he was, there were a few specials - especially around the time of his first wife's death - that George Carlin seemed to be a borderline nihilist. He got a little sunnier after his second marriage. And as sensitive and precise as he could be, there are some Carlin bits that are almost unlistenable now. (His bit about anoerexia and bulimia comes to mind).

Billy Crystal seems like the safest comic of his generation, but if you watch 700 Sundays, there is a huge amount of pain and desperation at the heart of his act. If you read Born Standing Up, you'll see that the cerebral, cool, detached, ironic, and avante-garde Steve Martin was doing all this essentially so his parents would acknowledge his existence.

I don't think the average stand-up goes into that line of work because they are silly, happy people.

Archived