Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

8 points for MD through 12 minutes in the 2nd half. They look like they have never seen a zone before. Lots of standing around. Zero penetration into the zone to draw the defense and open up that zone. Turgeon needs to step it up and get these guys playing better basketball if they want to pull this out.

Much better 4 minutes there. The Hi-Lo with Carter and Stone is unstopable. They don't dare leave Stone, so Carter is able to hit that jumper. Iowa has adjusted somewhat, but I'd be curious if they can do that with Stone in and not Dodd.

Layman has 9 points somehow. He's 1-7 on 3's, yet he continues to jack them up. He just throws up brick after brick.

It's going to be an interesting finish.

Great job by Maryland to pull this one out. Certainly not high on the style points, but they still beat the #3 team in the country. I said it when Michigan St beat MD that you should win your home conference games. Maryland did, so they need to keep it going.

I think Rasheed Sulaimon is the key to this team. When he plays well, Maryland is such a better team.

And just to continue the theme, I can't wait until Layman is not on this team. He played good defense against his fellow Euro star Uthoff, but I saw him getting abused by other guys tonight. To be fair, he had a great block in the last minute. But on offense, he can't even hit the short jumper. He's just very frustrating to watch because he should be much better.

Edited by Redskin4ever
  • Like 1

Great job by Maryland to pull this one out. Certainly not high on the style points, but they still beat the #3 team in the country. I said it when Michigan St beat MD that you should win your home conference games. Maryland did, so they need to keep it going.

I think Rasheed Sulaimon is the key to this team. When he plays well, Maryland is such a better team.

And just to continue the theme, I can't wait until Layman is not on this team. He played good defense against his fellow Euro start Uthoff, but I saw him getting abused by other guys tonight. To be fair, he had a great block in the last minute. But on offense, he can't even hit the short jumper. He's just very frustrating to watch because he should be much better.

The MSU loss may look bad on paper, but anyone who follows college basketball knows that they are a dangerous team at all times, especially on 3 losses and at home.

Agree that Sulaimon is the guy who is going to make or break this team.

I like Layman, but when he plays within himself and not go crazy.  Take you man to the basket, play great defense, and an occasional 3, when you are going well, is OK.  Stop the heisting up the 3s like they are going out of style.

I love Robert Carter. He could be a top 15 draft pick next year if he stays.

Loved Sulaimon's intensity. Need to cut down on the turnovers. Layman sometimes forces threes. Team as a whole needs to shoot better. Nice win though, great team effort.

Bag on Jake all you want, and I agree he settles for the 3 way too often, but the guy killing this team right now is Nickens. He's their sharpshooter, but his confidence is so low now I'm not sure he could throw it in the ocean, standing on the beach.

I also hate the lack of off ball movement in their offensive sets. If you've got Layman, Stone, and Carter on the floor together, you've got 3 guys who can score on the block, and one of them is likely to have a mismatch. All it should take is some flex cuts off screens, and decent entry passes, and run the offense from the inside out. Instead, it's more often Melo dribbling up top while everyone watches...maybe a one man pick and roll, or one guy trying to get down low position.

I really believe Turgeon needs to up his offensive game for this team to be a real contender.

Also, Ram is a great kid and a great story, but enough already. He gives you nothing offensively, and is overrated defensively. Brantley must have kicked Turgeon's dog or something. He's been buried.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 3

Agreed with all of the above.

Nickens HAS to make open 3's.  I believe him turning it on is one of the primary keys to this team having any success in March.

It feels like when this team wins, it wins on talent alone.  There is no magic.  I understand they don't have a ton of time playing with one another but Turg better get on it and find a way to get this team moving as a unit.

I feel like Nickels rushes his shot. Twice last night he caught the ball with no defender near him, and he quickly hoisted a shot. Take your time. I did like how he dribbled in a drained a 15 foot jump shot instead of settling one possesion. He needs to work on his ball handling more than anything and creating his own shot.

I like Turgeon and feel like he is the right coach. We have no idea what is going on in the huddle. It comes down to execution.

I have no idea what is, or is not, a foul in this game. B1G officiating leaves much to be desired.

Another Terp basketball team that can't shoot...go figure.

And...the officiating goes from terrible to ridiculous.

Terps have no one but themselves to blame if they lose, but these officials have been beyond erratic.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1