Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Can someone who knows recruiting let me know how the class shaped up. Was the DMV to UMD movement a success?

You want an outside opinion, with the caveat that I may be slightly biased the other way?  Not that great.  Maryland's class is ranked #48 overall by 247 sports, and didn't protect it's home turf very well.  Using 247's ranking, Maryland got 2 of the top 10 prospects in MD to stay home, and only one more ranked between 11-20.  If you want to count DC as home territory as well, they only got 1 of the top 10 from D.C.  This isn't going to be a recruiting class that changes Maryland's fortunes.

Now in fairness, I think this whole Movement thing was geared more towards 2016, but there were some definite disappointments this time around.

Here's the current list for Maryland HS players in 2016.  You definitely want to see a good 5-7 of those top 10 kids staying home if you're truly protecting your home turf.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MD

• Like 2

My cousin signed with UMD just like his older brother. He's Isaiah Davis, how likely is he to get redshirted compared to the current LB group?

This source likes him as an instant contributor on teams: 

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/2/4/7953501/maryland-football-national-signing-day-results-recap

Isaiah Davis

Measurables: 6'1, 210

Position: Athlete

High School: St. Stephen's & St. Agnes (Alexandria, Va.)

247Sports Composite ratings: Three stars (.8215), No. 122 athlete, No. 47 player in Virginia

Projected depth chart position: Special teams contributor. Davis could play SAM or an inside linebacker position at Maryland, due to his combination of linebacker size and experience covering receivers. Wherever he ends up, he has the athleticism to make an early impact on special teams.

• Like 1

Speaking of Prince....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/02/04/isaiah-prince-on-spurning-terps-i-think-maryland-was-pretty-close/

Isaiah Prince on spurning Terps football: ‘I think Maryland was pretty close’

The decision was made two days earlier, Prince said, after a long and often heated recruiting process. He had argued with his family at their home about being torn. He had committed to Alabama last month, only to renege and take official visits to Ohio State and Maryland last week.

“I think Maryland was pretty close…Maryland has a pretty great program. I had a pretty great trust between the coaches,” Prince said. “Ohio State was just the better fit.”

The decision further demonstrated  Ohio State Coach Urban Meyer‘s reputation as a strong closer on the recruiting front, and it comes at the expense of Prince’s hometown program. A night after Maryland locked down another top local offensive lineman recruit in Friendship Collegiate’s Quarvez Boulware, the Terps lost their top remaining target to a powerful program within their own conference.

Boulware had called Prince on Tuesday night to make a late push on behalf of Maryland, Prince said, adding that  Terps defensive lineman signee Adam McLean had messaged him every other day on social media about attending Maryland. Prince said he notified Maryland’s staff of his final decision on Wednesday morning.

“They were pretty disappointed, because I’m a hometown kid and they really wanted to get me,” Prince said.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

UMD needs to sell DC and College Park.

Not just UMD.

It is a short walk to the Metro station and a short trip to one of the most amazing, cultured cities in the entire world.

OSU ? Could not sell me popcorn to go there.

Call me bitter about his thinking that is a better fit...perhaps it was a better "financial" fit.

Caleb got that cannon.  :)

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/2/5/7987993/caleb-rowe-maryland-football-eligibility

Maryland QB Caleb Rowe will have two more years of eligibility, Randy Edsall says

Expected Maryland starting quarterback Caleb Rowe will have two years left to play, head coach Randy Edsall said on The Sports Junkies' radio show Thursday morning.

Rowe has played in each of the last three seasons, but likely has received a medical redshirt for his true freshman year in 2012, when he played in just two games before suffering an injury.

Rowe is almost a shoo-in to replace C.J. Brown as the Terps' starter this season, and the extra year of eligibility helps add some stability to the position for the Terrapins.

Rising junior Perry Hills and rising sophomore Shane ****erille join true freshman Gage Shaffer as the only other quarterbacks on the roster, and none of them have emerged as a potential comfortable starting option for 2016.

A former three-star prospect from South Carolina, Rowe has played in 12 games in his Maryland career. He has completed 53.7 percent of his passes for 7.7 yards per attempt, with 12 touchdowns against 10 interceptions. An improved offensive line with three blue-chip prospects could help the 6'3 gunslinger stay on his feet and avoid the pressure he saw in his first three seasons.

On the recruiting trail, it's still Dwayne Haskins or bust for Maryland at quarterback in 2016, but having Rowe back for another year just adds some security to the position, whether the blue-chip local commits or not. If Haskins does pledge to Maryland, he could compete with Rowe for the starting job right away, although 2017 (as a redshirt freshman or true sophomore) could be the target year for him to take over.

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Six-for-16-DMVtoUMD-Candidates-35426427

Six for '16: #DMVtoUMD Candidates

Signing Day 2015 is in the rearview mirror and while it may seem early for the casual fan to look ahead to next year's class, football coaches everywhere have been dialed in on 2016 prospects for many months. That's especially the case at Maryland, where Randy Edsall and his staff have been working to build something labeled as 'The Movement,' also hashtagged as #DMVtoUMD -- or, more plainly, a bumper crop of top Washington-area juniors committing to Maryland -- perhaps even simultaneously.

He even Tweeted about it yesterday. And several of their prospective members have made been doing so regularly too.

Maryland already has three commitments in the Class of 2016, highlighted by Good Counsel's Keandre Jones, the No. 13 outside linebacker in the nation per the 247Sports Composite. Here's a half-dozen other locals who could make Maryland's localized 2016 dream come true.

Dwayne Haskins
Quarterback

Bullis

Maryland's anticipated domino effect could start immediately if Haskins commits to Maryland. The No. 5 pro-style quarterback in the country, Haskins has been rumored to be close to giving Maryland a silent commitment. Haskins is the sort of 'franchise player' with whom other top local recruits will want to play. Arguably Maryland's most important recruit since Stefon Diggs, Ohio State, Penn State and Notre Dame are the biggest competition for the four-star's services. There's plenty of speculation it won't be much longer until he makes his commitment, but even with an early commitment, other schools will not stop recruiting Haskins. This is a must-get for Maryland, both in terms of the need for a big-time quarterback, and the domino effect he'd likely create.

There is a lot of discussion of what this team isn't. This team is a 19 win team. This is a team that will make the tournament (barring an epic meltdown). I agree this team is flawed. Their best player is a freshman who has been playing like a freshman the last couple of games. The upperclass are not leading this team. The big men are regressing. I'm just happy they are playing better. Im just happy they have been ranked for most of the year and look to be a tournament team.

Seconded. Yep.

There is something that all the losses have in common...

You are not doing your part!! As soon as you post about how awful they are playing, Maryland makes a run and wins the game. It's documented in this thread!! You need to start pulling your weight…The boys are going to need you on Wednesday

PS…..I'm just kidding

PPS…Or am I???

There is a lot of discussion of what this team isn't. This team is a 19 win team. This is a team that will make the tournament (barring an epic meltdown). I agree this team is flawed. Their best player is a freshman who has been playing like a freshman the last couple of games. The upperclass are not leading this team. The big men are regressing. I'm just happy they are playing better. Im just happy they have been ranked for most of the year and look to be a tournament team.

Agreed. Still a good team and have potential. Just a little jumbled on offense, not taking good shots. Some of that is on the coaches and some of that is just bad decisions and shooting.

Are you guys aware that Melo is the third person that Iowa guy has "accidentally" poked in the eye?

Yeah that is such bull****. He barely was close to the ball.

• Like 1