Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Not exactly apples to apples here but the program I coach on lost a player after he collapsed suddenly on the practice field on March 1 (hereditary heart condition) and the only similarity to find here are the hurting kids, who will now at least as far as the program is concerned hopefully be 100% of everyone's focus now that this mess has been put to bed. 

• Sad 2

I think coming out and completely owning that this kid needed medical attention and the program completely blew it is appropriate. And if it also means that Durkin/Loh/Evans all get wiped out then so be it. Someone died.

They need to put in effective safety measures and redundancies that will hopefully become the standard for college athletics. That only positive of this tragedy should be that is prevents the next one. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think coming out and completely owning that this kid needed medical attention and the program completely blew it is appropriate. And if it also means that Durkin/Loh/Evans all get wiped out then so be it. Someone died.

They need to put in effective safety measures and redundancies that will hopefully become the standard for college athletics. That only positive of this tragedy should be that is prevents the next one. 

The other thing I think people have to realize is that most FBS programs are pulling these stunts. That's why Will Muschamp attacked the sources and defended Durkin. I'm sure South Carolina is doing similar. College coaches are jerks and get off on bullying kids past the limit. Their needs to be a cultural change in college football.

20 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The other thing I think people have to realize is that most FBS programs are pulling these stunts. That's why Will Muschamp attacked the sources and defended Durkin. I'm sure South Carolina is doing similar. College coaches are jerks and get off on bullying kids past the limit. Their needs to be a cultural change in college football.

Yea, I think most FBS head coaches (like politicians) have a degree of sociopathy in there. It's why they (like Muschanp) can have a lack a sense of self-awareness of the situation. They can pump up a 5 start recruit for months and then send their ass to East Mississippi in two seconds if they break some rules or whatever. Then go out on public speaking engagements about their leadership skills. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Australian punter Wade Lees, who was first recruited by Durkin when the latter worked in Ann Arbor, said the team learned from Durkin after practice Saturday that he was being placed on administrative leave and then heard it again from Evans. Durkin had run the practice before telling his players of the move.

“A lot of players were upset after Damon Evans announced that,” Lees said in a telephone interview Monday. “You can tell by the sheer emotion that they weren’t happy. They were groaning in disbelief.”

Lees said the source of the allegations came “mainly from disgruntled players” and is not “what most of our team is thinking. … There are two sides to every story and we’ve only heard one.”

Lees added: “‘You are going to get disgruntled players because they’re not getting playing time or whatnot. You can go to any program and find disgruntled players, past and present. Some of the past players who were sources [in the ESPN story] were kicked off the team.”

Many of the players who eventually left the program showed disrespect for Durkin and his staff, Lees said.

“Coaches were constantly disrespected, they were laughed at, players were late for meetings,” Lees said. “These guys aren’t children anymore. If you act like a child, you’ll be treated like one. Respect goes two ways in life. If players want to be respected, they’ve got to give it as well.”

Lees said he believes the allegations against Durkin are being used “as leverage to portray Coach Durkin as an awful person".

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

18 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

While it seems as though the strength and conditioning coach and trainers bear the brunt of criticism, the buck ultimately stops at the top. To get in front of this, the trustees need to clean house and fire all three, imo. An example of how this University will conduct its future business needs to be set now.

18 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

While it seems as though the strength and conditioning coach and trainers bear the brunt of criticism, the buck ultimately stops at the top. To get in front of this, the trustees need to clean house and fire all three, imo. An example of how this University will conduct its future business needs to be set now.

College football coaches are damn near maniacal in their desire to run everything. It just doesn't pass any smell test that he was doing that kind work without Durkin's knowing, if not full on endorsement

Like you said, all three need to go. This is so much bigger than football, its more acceptable to lose games without Durkin than win with him at this point.

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

College football coaches are damn near maniacal in their desire to run everything. It just doesn't pass any smell test that he was doing that kind work without Durkin's knowing, if not full on endorsement

Like you said, all three need to go. This is so much bigger than football, its more acceptable to lose games without Durkin than win with him at this point.

Not sure I agree with the last part but regardless, DJ is done.

Just saw the McNairs interviewed on GMA and they want DJ gone.

Well at least Mr McNair and the attorney.

Basically, the Matt Canada era officially begins.

At least for this season.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

4 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Love the faith brother! 

Bowling Green, Temple, Minnesota, Rutgers is all I got, and any of those could go sideways amidst this turmoil.

Yeah, there's turmoil but there's actual talent on this team.

Provided there's no major injuries, I think this is the year that talent shows itself on the field.

I'm well known to dislike Maryland, but even I think Brave has a shot at being right if they rally around Canada.

Maryland has 13 games on its schedule.  I'd say you have no real shot at winning against any of the Big 4 in the Big-10 East.  I'd say the same about Iowa but Iowa is one of those teams that rarely blows anyone out and always seems to win by a TD at most, so that's a potential steal. I have no idea what the state of Texas football is like currently.

The other seven games are winnable if a cohesive Maryland team shows up.

• Like 1