Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, Fight4RGIII said:

Oh well, this team overachieved early on and raised our expectations. Started 3 freshman so the future is bright but we need to see some progression out of them and that starts with Turg.

Turgeon needs to move to the front office. Excellent recruiter. Just not a good X's and O's guy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Micah Thomas didn't play this year, I hope he has something to offer next year.

I don't hold too much hope for Thomas, rail thin and not a great shooter...hope I'm wrong. Tomaic, on the other hand, is a big body, but green as hell.

If Cekovsky gets, and stays, healthy, and Bruno can come in and deliver solid minutes, this team has a bright future.

Huerter has proven to be the best player on the floor past two games, and looks like a star in the making. Jackson has to get tougher and work on his explosiveness, but he's got a high ceiling with his bevy of skills. Cowan can be a really good PG, but he's gotta work on his distribution, and I'd love to see him develop a little floater, and/or pull up when he drives into the trees.

Gonna have a lot of scholarships available after next year (losing Wiley, Nickens, Brantley, and Cekovsky) if Turge can fill them with the right guys, Terps could be a power in a couple years.

8 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm assuming this is in reference to Turgeon?

I would not be saddened by his departure. Seems a good guy, been a solid recruiter, just can't seal the deal. Was not thrilled when he was brought on because I feared this was his ceiling. Maryland basketball is a top 20 program, and deserves a top 20 coach. IMO, Turgeon does not pass muster there.

Turgeon's other problem is he coaches alongside a top 5-10 coach on the women's side, and is being eclipsed by Brenda. Terps men need, deserve, a top echelon coach. I believe that this team in the next couple years could have the horses to compete for the Final Four. Question is, can Turgeon get them there?...

• Like 1

Turgeon didn't really have the horses this year.  3 starting freshman. No inside scoring ability.  Melo is what Melo is, an above average NBA tweener.

That said, the team can't play defense.  They play almost strictly man to man, and they can't do it.  When they are on offense, the other team packs in the zone and they are done.  Xavier was 8-11 in their last 19 coming in.  They aren't good.  Neither was Northwestern.  Yet both teams had adequate big men, played very solid zone defense, and MD played to their game.  MD is a running team and never ran.  That's on Turgeon.

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

MD is a running team and never ran.  That's on Turgeon.

Agree there. Posted it at the beginning of the season. With the lack of inside size (Dodd and Cekovsky being down early), and the abundance of wing players, I was expecting an up tempo offense. But, that is not what Turgeon does, and it's this inflexibility to change his style to fit his roster that has me on the outs with him.

Last night they faced a team that lost its point guard, and went 7-8 deep. Why they didn't press often to put pressure on their ball handlers, and up the tempo, to try and tire them, was a head scratcher. 

When you have guys guys that can run the floor and handle the ball like Cowan, Trimble, Huerter, and Jackson, and you go 10 deep on your bench, no reason NOT to force the tempo. I'll stand by my assertion that Turge is not a good gameday coach.

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

Last night they faced a team that lost its point guard, and went 7-8 deep. Why they didn't press often to put pressure on their ball handlers, and up the tempo, to try and tire them, was a head scratcher. 

This infuriated me.  By pressing, the other team gets roughly 15 seconds to set up and run their offense.  Not pressing gives them about 25 to find a good shot. Xavier found good shots all night long.  It doesn't take intense pressure, either.  

5 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Turgeon didn't really have the horses this year.  3 starting freshman. No inside scoring ability.  Melo is what Melo is, an above average NBA tweener.

That said, the team can't play defense.  They play almost strictly man to man, and they can't do it.  When they are on offense, the other team packs in the zone and they are done.  Xavier was 8-11 in their last 19 coming in.  They aren't good.  Neither was Northwestern.  Yet both teams had adequate big men, played very solid zone defense, and MD played to their game.  MD is a running team and never ran.  That's on Turgeon.

Melo Trimble is a 3 time all Big10 player, so idk what this tweener stuff means. He is a damn good college player which is all that matters.

The problems with this team come down to the coaching. Turgeon is not a good coach. He wont be let go because UMD doesnt see itself as a powerhouse bball program even though it should be in the top 10-15 programs in America. (yes, the talent base in this region, the facilities it has, the history it has, the conference it plays in, and Under Armour should have this as a top 10-15 program)

Turgeon's players don't get better. He doesn't coach to his team's strengths and downplay its weaknesses. He is mediocre and I am done with him, but this school is okay with being in this position. UMD has only made 2 Sweet 16 appearances since the 2002 NCAA title. Sit back and think about that. 15 years, just two sweet 16s. The athletic department seems to be okay with this. UMD bball tickets used to be hard to get. You goto a game now and its not close to a sell out. They dont even play good basketball. 

The talent was there to make the sweet 16 this year but it didnt. Even if Melo comes back next year, I don't have the belief that this team will be better than it seems comfortable as. Turgeon is letting everyone down. Its him but its also this program thinking this is all okay with a program of this magnitude. 

Anyway, the women won by 40 over Bucknell. They should get to the Elite 8. 

I'm a Turgeon fan but you guys are making some good points and I'm starting to reconsider my position. I really like his personality, I'm of the opinion that players respond best to coaches that connect with them, but I realize there must also be discipline. He seems to know what he is talking about when I watch his interviews. I dunno....I agree there they could perhaps push the tempo more and run more sets on offense. Bottom line though is I don't think we have the players, period. This team was young and I expect them to get better next year. If Fernando can contribute and Cekovsky comes back ready to play then perhaps we can make some noise. Trimble is still a very good player, I expect him to return and have a great senior season.

11 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Trimble is still a very good player, I expect him to return and have a great senior season.

I really hope Melo moves on, as I think this team will become better without him. If he does come back, you know what you'll get, because his game/stats are very similar all three years. Plus, Melo is not a leader.

Yes, he is a very good player, but that's it. I don't believe that he has been the best player on the team any of his three years. Yeah, he can score 16 a game, but it's a volume thing. He is not a good jump shooter; he's a mediocre distributor; he turns the ball over too much; and he's a lazy defensive player too often.

I'd hope to see a starting five of Cowan, Huerter, Jackson, Fernando, and Cekovsky. That would leave a bench of Brantley, Wiley, Nickens, Bender, Morsell, and hopefully Thomas and Tomaic. That is the kind of talent that can do serious damage. Unfortunately, I don't think Turgeon is the coach to get them there. As Bennington said, not a lot of development, players improving their games year to year under Turge. 

Let's go Lady Terps!

We know the NCAA tried to royally screw y'all. 3 seed, UCONN bracket, playing a 6 seed who is one of the hottest teams in the country. It don't matter.

Take that disrespect, let it take form. Bundle it up into a giant chip, and set it on your shoulder, then go out and make those foes in front of you pay--dearly--for that slight.

WVA today, Duke, UConn and everyone else tomorrow! It's Championshp time!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 2:59 PM, Long n Left said:

Yes, he is a very good player, but that's it. I don't believe that he has been the best player on the team any of his three years.

His freshman year, when he played aggressively and drove to the basket every chance he got.  Once he stopped driving, all he showed is that he is an average shooter.  The NBA is no longer banging on the door.  

4 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

His freshman year, when he played aggressively and drove to the basket every chance he got.  Once he stopped driving, all he showed is that he is an average shooter.  The NBA is no longer banging on the door.  

Dez was the best player on that team. Melo was the shiny new thing, but opponents figured out that he's not a distributor, and he's going to the hole looking for the foul. He's struggled as a jump shooter the last couple years as defenses try to thwart his driving. 

Melo never improved. He's the same player he was two years ago.