Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: D-Hall, We are Playing with a Chip on our Shoulder

MustangSteve

When DeAngelo Hallicon-article-link.gif joined the Washington Redskins midway through the 2008 season, he brought a tenacity that had an instant impact on the defense’s mentality.

Now six seasons later, the three-time Pro Bowler is still as physical as they come at the cornerback position, but he’s assumed more of a leadership role as well.

While some wouldn’t have considered Hall for the role when he first joined the Redskins, first-year head coach Jay Gruden had no qualms approaching him about taking on the extra duties, especially after the retirement of linebacker London Fletcher.

“It’s going to be the first camp in a long time that I haven’t had a guy like Fletch around,” Hall told the media following the morning practice. “So definitely the onus is on me. Meeting with Jay this offseason he kind of stressed that to me and I embraced it. I felt like I was ready for it.

Hall said one of the reasons he feels ready to takeover is due to the fact that Fletcher – his teammate for five and a half seasons -- took him under his wing and allowed him to soak up knowledge of how to guide a defense on the field.

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/DeAngelo-Hall-There-Is-A-Chip-On-Our-Shoulder-/8973f7cb-b1f4-409e-b42d-044e1aa18535

This is what I love hearing, this defense needs some sort of an attitude and identity. This core group has been together 4 years now and it's time they start playing like it. If they are able to turn the corner and play like a top 10 as they should by now, this team will go far into the post season and possibly to the big show.

I'm new to the forum but not to the 'skins or football and DH is fortunate to be playing this year and I hope he plays like he knows it. How many time we've all seen God-given skills coupled with a leisurely attitude produce mediocre results because there was no hard effort expended because the player relied on those God given skills. IF DH works hard, he can re-attain his early reputation as a good corner but he's got to work at now and can no longer believe that he can compete with the kids coming into the league that are faster and smarter then they were when he first came out. 

We as fans all want to believe that our team will have a covering/crushing defense but that will only happen if they play like a team possessed.... I for one am hoping they will be keying in on the ball which was woefully missing last year. I don't know offhand what the +/- was as a team but we didn't have to watch too many games to figure out that they weren't keying on ripping that ball loose every time it came into the secondary.

Here's to a great camp and season!

erad 

I'm new to the forum but not to the 'skins or football and DH is fortunate to be playing this year and I hope he plays like he knows it.

23 has been balling up their with the best of them the past couple of years, but I'm not that up on him pre Redskins.  When was he playing better than the last two seasons?

D-Hall has more than held his own the last 2 seasons, he was shutting down receivers in crunch time, those games we had to win. I think his best game was the Dallas game in week 17 in 2012 when he completely shut down Dez. I am glad he's a Redskin and think he will have another fine season.

I love D.Hall. I love the attitude he plays with. I know I am in the minority, but I wish other players cared that much. At least he plays with some kind of emotion. A lot of guys are just collecting a paycheck.

Not to be "Mr Buzzkillington", but we've heard it all before. I got to see it on the field when it counts.

It's hard not to be. I can't help my excitement though. I see this team developing into the team we've been waiting for & it takes more engery for me to hold back my enthusiasm than it is to let it all hang out. 

But I can certainly understand how you feel. Last year was probably the worst year I have ever had as a Redskins fan. Completely let down by the entire team. And while I know several players stood out as doing their part (or more than their part), the whole thing was a complete nightmare I look forward to forgetting with an amazing season this year.

HTTR

It's hard not to be. I can't help my excitement though. I see this team developing into the team we've been waiting for & it takes more engery for me to hold back my enthusiasm than it is to let it all hang out. 

But I can certainly understand how you feel. Last year was probably the worst year I have ever had as a Redskins fan. Completely let down by the entire team. And while I know several players stood out as doing their part (or more than their part), the whole thing was a complete nightmare I look forward to forgetting with an amazing season this year.

HTTR

This is the fact with many of us, we have seen this team so close to turning it around, especially after the 2012 season. Only poor decisions and ijuries held this team back. I think that many of us fans feel that time is not only coming, but could be the beginning right now. I can't wait to see this team get insync and play like they should and can. I'm even expecting some upsets and a few double digit wins this season.

I am not a big DHall fan because he takes too many risks but it has work for him over the years. He has shutdown some of the best WR's in the game the last two years.  So I don't always like his play I feel he does bring a fiestiness to the team and he will battle with the best of them. I just hope he keeps his head about him because he is a hothead that will cost the team yardage because of it.

With all due respect to Fletcher, one of my favorite players this franchise has had and I think he should warrant consideration for the HOF for his on the field production, BUT they did have some of the worst defenses in league history when he still had gas in the tank and the team was rife with shenanigans on a semi-regular basis.  Him not being there shouldn't make much of a difference at all.  I mean, let's just be real about this, Hall can lead a defense to the bottom 3rd of the league.  

With all due respect to Fletcher, one of my favorite players this franchise has had and I think he should warrant consideration for the HOF for his on the field production, BUT they did have some of the worst defenses in league history when he still had gas in the tank and the team was rife with shenanigans on a semi-regular basis.  Him not being there shouldn't make much of a difference at all.  I mean, let's just be real about this, Hall can lead a defense to the bottom 3rd of the league.  

Great point and all truth. Although it's almost certain that we have a much better tackling secondary this season, that could end up being a bad thing if RB's continue to get into that last phase of our Defense. I am anxious to see if there is a gaping hole in the middle of our defense, or a soft spot that offenses will feast on. If that ends up being the case, we are doomed no matter who steps up and leads this Defense.

Archived