Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

walterfootball.com: Redskins 2014 Season preview

Audible_Red40

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014was.php

Just a guy doing his thing, writing.  A little harsh in some places, a little exaggreated in others, and spot on with other tidbits.

It's a long write-up, here's the conclusion.  Click on the link for the rest.

2014 Washington Redskins Analysis: The Redskins were a mess last year, but they're bound to bounce back. Robert Griffin is healthy, a new coaching staff is in place, a few upgrades were acquired, and an easy schedule looms on the horizon. However, this would require Griffin to stay on the field, which is something he has failed to do throughout his entire football career, dating back to college. He's injury-prone, so the odds are against him playing all 16 games. If he does, however, Washington will have a strong chance to win the division.

Projection: 8-8 (2nd in NFC East)

However, this would require Griffin to stay on the field, which is something he has failed to do throughout his entire football career, dating back to college. He's injury-prone, so the odds are against him playing all 16 games. If he does, however, Washington will have a strong chance to win the division.

Didn't RG3 stay on the field all of last season, and the only reason he didn't play all 16 games was b/c Shanahan pulled him?

There were a couple of standard-speak, that many on here have proven inaccurate, when it comes to the Redskins:

1. Griffin only putting up garbage time stats.

2. Him being a prima donna that rolled teammates under the bus.

3. Jackson is a dynamic player because of his speed, but he's also overrated because he's a one-trick pony.

4. A complete double-factual error in stating a. Will Montgomery is "solid" and b. He's still on the team.

But overall I don't disagree with a lot of what he said.

So within the first 3 paragraphs, there is a mistake on player personnel. Montgomery at center? It isnt like he was cut last week, he's been cut for almost 4 months now. Does anyone do correct research on these articles?

Then, Jackson hasnt had more than 63 catches until last year, so basically we shouldnt expect him to get 63? What the hell does that even mean?

Robert Griffin III's postgame comments create a schism in Washington

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/11/20/robert-griffin-iii-schism-washington-redskins

I see this a lot. The problem with it is he doesn't take credit for the team success either. It's always Garcon, Morgan, TE ran a great route, Trent had a great block, Morris ran well, coaches called a great play. So when mistakes happen and he talks about the team, it's the same as crediting the team when they have success.

“We had a certain concept with running , and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game. I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go.”

Is the quote everyonbe got worked up about ... and the thing is while he says and explaining if he gets sacked there the game is over so he said "I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go.”

Seems to me he was taking responsibilty -- lots of I's in that sentence - and in fact in that interview he did prtty much pin the blame on himself - if you watch the whole thing . What the media latched on to an what Moss got upset about and then committed the number one sin in any team sport and responded to a he said she said quote without hearing it from the player in question was this -  "and nobody got open so I was backing up" which the media span to say RGIII is blaming the loss on you the WRs not doing your job and getting open - and also a little on the play calling (The same comment Garcon made around the same time when he said our passing game sucks - which again was span as Garcon calling out RGIII but reading the full interview was pointing more to self improvement as the team and in play calling (which never happened until Cousins took over). But the conclusion of the interview was "It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go" which to me is Griffin saying I made a bad pass .

It is interesting also in the interview that Mike Shanahan allowed this to escalate . He could have nipped it off by defending his young QB and using some PR smooth over words to take the heat out of the situation. Firstly Shanahan calls his QB out for getting the wrong communications on the routes then tells the world RGIII should not have said the things he said- insted of pehaps suggesting the context had been badly placed, or papering over the cracks, he let the situation get out of hand - but I have no doubt in my mind it was because at that point it suited Mike to deflect blame onto RGIII and away from himself .

Head coaches do  protect their young QBs from themselves all the time  - Now there are reasons why at this point Mike didnt want to do that but the behind the scenes things seems to be some personality clash and you expect better proffesionalism from everyone involved..

Sorry I did not want to derail the thread but this RG-DIVA thing annoyed me at the time and annoys me now - Sure it has some truth but that was not the reason we sucked - I would put a who bunch of things before the carefully stage managed deconstruction and self inflicted peronality issues with RGIII became a root cause for concern  - time may make me an idiot but there were more tangible problems to the Redskins under the shanahan regime rahter than just the star QB acting like a 23 year old star QB...

retarded laziness. I understand nobody can know everything about every team, but at least try to be informed about your subject matter, rather than bleating the media's take.

here's an example:

"neither Hall nor Amerson performed very well in 2013. Amerson at least is young and has the potential to improve. Hall, on the other hand, will turn 31 in November, so his best days are behind him. He wasn't terrible or anything last year, but he wasn't exactly a strength."

Hall had a terrific season last year, and the year before as well. I guess locking down the league's top receivers week in and week out is "not very good" I'd wager that DHall is the "strength" of the secondary.

Robert Griffin III's postgame comments create a schism in Washington

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/11/20/robert-griffin-iii-schism-washington-redskins

Thanks for the link; I can see why I forgot about it.  Robert's comments were very indirect to be described as "throwing his teammates under the bus" imo.  I'm a Tana fan, but I'm more disturbed about him responding like that than Robert's comment.

Poorly written. Again I don't have a problem with criticism, the team wasn't good last year so there is plenty of fair criticism to go around. Didn't have a whole lot positive to say, and some things were just talking in circles and not being informed... other than If Robert can stay healthy as a big "if" they'll finish second at 8-8. The way the article was going I thought they would say the skins will be 5-11 and finish last. 

retarded laziness. I understand nobody can know everything about every team, but at least try to be informed about your subject matter, rather than bleating the media's take.

here's an example:

"neither Hall nor Amerson performed very well in 2013. Amerson at least is young and has the potential to improve. Hall, on the other hand, will turn 31 in November, so his best days are behind him. He wasn't terrible or anything last year, but he wasn't exactly a strength."

Hall had a terrific season last year, and the year before as well. I guess locking down the league's top receivers week in and week out is "not very good" I'd wager that DHall is the "strength" of the secondary.

Didn't you get the memo from fans and reporters? 30 is a football death sentence. Don't you know that you can't play anymore when you hit 30? He might as well retire and check himself into Shady Acres Retirement home. 30 is the manic number and if you go past 30, you made a deal with the debil!

I do also like to point out the fact that RG3 missed 1 start in his career this far due to injury.

I get that he takes to many hits. But really, anybody is 'injury prone'.

Brady blew his knee out and Manning missed entire season. These aren't mobile QBs, but it shows to go ya.

I agree to minimize exposure, but sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Is he really injury prone tho? He didn't get hurt last season

And only miss 1 game his rookie year.

Thanks for the link; I can see why I forgot about it.  Robert's comments were very indirect to be described as "throwing his teammates under the bus" imo.  I'm a Tana fan, but I'm more disturbed about him responding like that than Robert's comment.

The problem with being really smart, is that you can be misunderstood.  Here is Robert's quote.  The WORST thing he said is that on the 1 specific play, nobody got open.  That is simple to verify.  He then went on to throw HIMSELF under the bus.  He clearly took the blame upon himself, just like so many say a QB should.  Now, we just need to teach reading comprehension to the NFL analysts.

Robert:  “We had a certain concept with running and nobody got open so I was backing up, and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game. I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go.”

Robert:  “We had a certain concept with running and nobody got open so I was backing up, and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game. I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go.”

It's crazy how much of a difference one word makes.  If he had said "nobody was open" instead of "nobody got open" that whole throws his teammates under the bus circus probably would have never happened.  He just needs to choose his words more carefully in the future, especially now that he knows the media is looking to pounce on any little misplaced word he utters.

I think it's a Very fair prediction for the Redskins, although he was off on a few things, the man can see that this team does have a shot at winning this Division if Griffin and the team can stay healthy. We lose a damn good player every year to an injury and hopefull this year we can play through the season without losing anyone. This team is long over due to taking that step from a below average team to a legit condender.

That time should and could be now, this team has the potential to come out of the gate strong and get a good jump on the East and have a good cushion by midseason. This is very possible wth our schedule and with this core group and ugraded additions to this team. The 2014 Washington Redskins should be the" look out for" team in the league this very season. They have way more good going for them this season. then against them.

Here's to every NFL team and fan saying this season, "oh ****" here come them Redskins!!!

Archived